• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 108 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Welcome to the NBA- the National Basketball Association! The 2019-2020 season was memorable for a lot of reasons. The 2019 half of the season went along fairly well. 2020 was cool for... maybe a few months. Then... COVID-19/Coronavirus happened. The world was in lockdown, and people wanted some sort of hope that things will get back to normal. The NBA (and even the WNBA) then decided to play out the rest of the season "in the bubble" in Orlando, Florida, USA. The season was therefore resumed instead of cancelled entirely. Amid the chaos and the slow return to the old normal, the Los Angeles Lakers won the NBA Championship.

We are now looking at the next season of NBA basketball. I am opening this thread early to discuss some of the early news bits in regards to this upcoming season. I have heard the next season of NBA basketball could start circa January 18, 2021. So that's why I have "or maybe just 2021?" in this title of this thread.

If you want to discuss NBA basketball for the upcoming season, you are free to do so. Can the Lakers repeat as Champions? Will a new team step up and become champs? What rookies will be ones to watch this upcoming season? These questions and more will be answered this upcoming season. Go along for the ride!

Early news bits to share...

* Daryl Morey will reportedly step down as general manager of the Houston Rockets. He's been the General Manager of the Rockets for 13 years. He was controversially involved in a message on Twitter that severed ties between the USA and China with his comments regarding Hong Kong during a protest period.

* Tyronn Lue is told to be promoted to Head Coach of the Los Angeles Clippers. Another report indicates Chauncey Billups (remember him?) will be hired as a lead assistant.

Let's talk about the next season of NBA basketball!

Last edited:
The NBA is looking at a start of the 2020-2021 season around December 22. If you recall either the 2010-2011 season or 2011-2012 season, the season mostly started on Christmas; but that was because of disagreements in the Collective Bargaining Agreement then. The call is for a 72-game season with no All-Star Game and Play-In games as part of the deal. Oh, and I also hear there's a push to try to get this season done with fans in the stands and not "in the bubble" in Orlando.

"We the North"... going south? I heard that the Toronto Raptors may play their home games this upcoming season in Louisville at the Yum! Brands center where the University of Louisville Cardinals play. This is the same situation in which Major League Baseball's Toronto Blue Jays are in, in which they can't play their home games in Canada because of all the pandemic madness. Some say the Cardinals probably should play in Buffalo like with the Toronto MLB team. We'll see how this all plays out.

The Houston Rockets reportedly will hire assistant coach Stephen Silas of the Dallas Mavericks as the head coach of the Rockets. Elsewhere, it is being reported that the former General Manager of the Rockets, Daryl Morey, will be the head of operations for the Philadelphia 76ers. Interesting to see how this goes. Maybe the Sixers are slowly developing a power team.

Days ago, NBA players have agreed to a December 22 start for the 2020-2021 NBA season after previously rejecting it. They also agreed to a 72-game season. Part of the factors here involve getting in this season while also getting prepped for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics to be held next year.

As far as here in Houston is concerned, new coach Stephen Silas is thinking "win now" and having a real take-no-prisoners approach to getting the Rockets finally over the hump. I believe John Lucas signed on as assistant coach to Silas. Lucas has been with the Rockets for a good number of years.

[OMISSION] Games will be played at the NBA arenas. There will not be any "bubble" where all games are played in Orlando, Florida like when last season resumed. All NBA teams will be able to have fans in attendance for this season due to the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic. Which ones actually will have fans in attendance for those who actually will allow their fans to be in attendance.

Last edited:
Basketball legend Tommy Heinsohn has died. He was 86 years old. I usually know him for his analysis for Boston Celtics games. He won championships as a player and as a coach. To many, he's "Mr. Celtic." My condolences go out to all who known and loved Tommy Heinsohn.

It seems Russell Westbrook wants out of Houston. The Houston Rockets have had themselves a shakeup with the new coaching staff. The Los Angeles Clippers seems to want Westbrook the most. James Harden may also be under consideration for trade.

I updated one of my previous posts by posting an omission in regards to a plan to start the 2020-2021 NBA season. There will no longer be "the bubble," but instead will have all NBA arenas be able to have fans in attendance (with safety protocols) in their arenas.

Can you believe James Harden reportedly wants to be traded? Some time after Russell Westbrook was wanting a trade, now Harden reportedly wants to be traded. Key word- reportedly. I am a bit on the fence here. I welcome the trade since the Houston Rockets haven't gotten over the hump trying to get another NBA Championship. On the other hand, who will fill the void left behind by Harden and Westbrook? Something to follow for sure.

Houston's future is in shambles.

The nets are going to be eastern favorites once they secure harden, also a reunion with d'antoni.

Btw that $50 million contract extension which he turned down is surely big, can't believe it.

Last edited:
I hate to say this, but you may be right. In fact, on ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption," there were people saying that the Houston Rockets may be the new Sacramento Kings. This after James Harden turned down a $103M USD contract extension. So this is going to do is fan the fires of several Houston teams that are already dumpster fires. Yay, us...

Tonight's the 2020 NBA Draft. So it will be interesting to see who goes where from the college and international fronts.

Klay Thompson of the Golden State Warriors is out for the entire 2020-2021 season after suffering an injury during a workout. He suffered a torn Achilles in this injury. This will surely hurt the Warriors this coming season.

We the... South? The Toronto Raptors will be playing their home games this upcoming season in Tampa Bay, Florida as COVID-19/Coronavirus restrictions limit them from playing at home in Toronto. So yeah- "We the North!" is going to be "We the South!" this season.

I'm a bit disappointed that Aussie Josh Green got drafted to Dallas, I doubt they will give him minutes.

Sounds like a troll job. Dwight Howard used to be a Rocket, so I can't hate on him too much.

According to reports, the Houston Rockets recently signed DeMarcus Cousins. That's right. Houston about to get down with Boogie Cousins! Interesting move. And don't forget- we are less than a month away from the 2020-2021 season!

I have doubts that curry can lead the warriors to a playoff berth without klay thompson, again.

And i'm not so sure what's going on with michael jordan this time; he just signed former celtic gordon hayward to the hornets for 4 years at $120m when there's no assurance they'd be bound for the playoffs (wtf!), considering in the east the hawks' roster have been interestingly revamped with the likes of young, capela, bogdanovic and other intriguing guys from that team.

Oh well, it doesn't matter now because the lakers will repeat as b2b champions anyway. Sure they lost rondo, howard, green and bradley plus a couple of other guys in the off-season but along the way they signed matthews, gasol and harrell, who's perhaps the most surprising addition because he left the clippers after kawhi choked a 3-1 lead against brian windhorst lol. Funny fella. I don't see the clippers as title contenders anymore with tyronn lue as their new head coach, who's a scrub.

Oh, and lastly i do hope the lakers get rid of kyle kuzma in the future. I don't think i need to enumerate the reasons why they should but it will be for their own good.

Do you love LeBron James on the Lakers? Well, he signed a two-year extension of about $81M USD to stay with the team. So you can't have LeBron James! At least... for the next two years.

I heard the Houston Rockets let go of Russell Westbrook and brought in John Wall. So this only continues what seems to be a new attempt to build a potential winning program.

Wowowow...

So westbrook is not playing in the west anymore huh?? i do wonder if wall would mesh up with harden if he still stays in houston.

I honestly don't know how this is all going to play out, but I am hoping for the best. The Houston Rockets hopefully don't become Clippers hot mess material. In no way am I really confident in my Rockets the way they are right now.

I think this needs more confirmation but both james wiseman and draymond green of the warriors just tested positive for covid-19.

Last edited:
John, you gotta get your Rockets under control. Reports saying Harden hasn't shown up for practice & was last seen in Atlanta at a strip club (which definitely goes against the league's new Covid guidelines, tmk). Seems like he's going to sit out the season?

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think it's over for James Harden in Houston. He probably likely wants to be traded. I know a lot of people are thinking the Brooklyn Nets are low-key trying to build a power. Other than that, the Houston Rockets will probably be as much a hot mess as our NFL's Houston Texans.

I hope James Wiseman and Draymond Green will recover from COVID-19 in the meanwhile.

The NBA Preseason begins tonight. ESPN is touting the Los Angeles Clippers *at* Los Angeles Lakers this Sunday. I say "*at*" because the two share the same building, so it's not a true "home" or "away" game.

Here is a note I forgot to mention from my previous post. James Harden's reasoning for possibly being done here in Houston relates to him thinking the Houston Rockets are in a rebuilding state, and Harden does not want to play for a rebuilding team. He wants to play for a contender. So he's open to teams like the Philadelphia 76ers and the Brooklyn Nets among others.

Anyhow, get psyched with the new season starting not too long from now!

James Harden will make his 2020-2021 preseason debut tonight taking on the San Antonio Spurs. I am confident Harden will deliver on the court, but chemistry and consistency are shaky to me about the Houston Rockets.

Elsewhere, it's being reported Giannis Antetokuonmpo(?) (the Greek Freak) signed a five-year extension of $228M USD to stay with the Milwaukee Bucks. So he's going to stay with the Bucks when some thought he would possibly jump ship and join another team.

Back