2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
So, it’s been almost 24 hours and I think I have calmed down.

1st session in Oceania, door 4 in a split with @05XR8 . Qualifying was surprisingly good. I took the CoD reasonably conservatively on the first lap but still managed Q4. Started directly in front of @05XR8 and got a good start. Entering T1 things started to go south when the car in front brakes early. I tried everything to avoid any contact but was boxed in and got tapped from a couple of sides. 1 second penalty for me. (No one else was penalized).

Then entering the kink immediately following I was pushed off by a car who I gave room. Served my penalty and was in 6th into the Esses. Lap 2 a car barges past at the hairpin and then brakes through the CoD. I get the better run out and he swerves to check me. I flash lights and get along side him into T1. He tries to push me wide but I hold my ground and get another penalty. 2 laps later I catch him into the hairpin. I ease off to avoid going into the CoD 2 wide and as we begin to turn in to the second part he brakes fully in front of me. I dive left to avoid him and he swipes me into the wall. I get 4 seconds and there is a pile up at the CoD exit, he gets nothing. I drive another few laps and then quit as I am so angry I can’t actually drive anymore. When I check after the race I have gone from SR99 to SR54.

If I ever see this clown again it will be a punt-on-site situation. He may regret his actions as soon as Saturday. The Nord was never going to be strong for me anyway.

Once again Nation's was a total waste of an evening.

Slot 1: 6th -> 11th. I don't even remember what happened, just that I sucked at driving
Slot 2: 3rd -> 10th, I sucked again and threw away a guaranteed Top 5 by dying at the CoD.
Slot 3: 13th -> 13th, Got thrown into Top Split, so of course I sucked even more.
Slot 4: DC
Slot 5: 6th -> 8th

I got 137 for my final score, and my best from this evening was only 144 from what should've easily been a 200+ point evening. Since this was only my 4th race in Nation's this season, it means I'm stuck with this unless I can pull out a miracle at Fuji, and even then I'm stuck with the slightly less awful result I got from Bathurst. I knew I should've just followed my intuition and skipped competing in Nation's seriously this season since none of the races except SSRX sounded truly interesting to me.

Oh yeah I lost almost 2k DR too since not only did I finish worse than I started in almost every single slot, but I also finished lower than my car number too.

Last edited:
FIA Nations Round 7
MINI Clubman Vision Gran Turismo
Dragon Trail - Seaside

After a few draws at the high end of the DR in recent races, was happy to be assigned to a lobby with #19. Recognized few of the drivers, some of which I knew to watch out for, and no one I would have hoped to race with, unfortunately. Surprised myself with a 5th place starting position, when I really fouled up the second sector and missed by FP time by a bigger margin than usual, after some decent practice.

Planned on a straightforward 6/7 race on Softs, but as we started racing in the top 5, and pulled away from the rest, with plenty of fuel saved in the first several laps, I decided to go 5/7 S/M and try to use that fuel and better tires at the end to gain a spot or two...

Bad call. The M's were just as wretched as the S's after 5 laps, and I was a sitting duck having given up the track position in the first part of the last stint. I was also held up on the out-lap by a scrum from 9-12 who only then battled each other and me just to dive in the pits... 🤬

Regarding my strategy choice: 1) I don't usually get the ultimate pace out of Softs, though with a FF/AWD car I'm usually a little closer. I thought I'd be nearly as fast on Mediums... I was, but only for a lap or two. 2) I'm actually ok saving tires, I though combined with 1, that I'd have steady pace at well under what people would be running the last several laps, but that was proven wrong when the M's went down to 50% after 5 laps too. 3) I had really saved fuel well the first few laps and thought with decent tires the last few laps I could really gain on people at the end... again... wrong. I'm kinda curious what scenario @Mistah_MCA would suggest it, since he noted it as an option in his guide (as always... thanks! It's the one thing I look at before running a race, especially if I haven't practiced much).

I ran out of fuel about 100m from the finish line... along with a few others! But a 7th place, at this point, with 121 points and 600 DR to add to my marginal A rating, overall, a successful one-and-done at this fun, but tough race. I like one-spec races! Glad I had won the Mini VGT on a Daily Bonus wheel, one of the few good ones I've won. Good luck to everyone who is still running later tonight. (I think it looks pretty good with the standard KosmoKazi livery applied, too...)

8071031151898133512_0.jpg
Only time to use Medium tires in this race is if tire saving is definitely not your thing, and/or are in the lower splits.
In higher splits, for this race, using Medium tires when not required was a huge no-no. You'll likely see this happen again in Manu round 8, where you'll do multiple Soft stints, and then one 1 lap Hard stint, and the Medium tires go untouched.

Last edited:
from end to start: I taken 10s of penalties during the race, and I lose 37 CS points. I'm a horrible driver! Now my manner rating is B (before the race S!)

It was a mad race. The qualify session was the usually bad 2 laps. I drove intentionally slow in the out lap to have space in front of me, but at the first curve of the good lap the driver before me go out! And I had an aggressive player in my back that try to overtake in all the turns with no consideration of my safety...
I think that all of us must give the way if our laps are ruined...

I stated 13th, with a lap 3,5s slower that my best in the practice.

I tried a practice session with a saving procedure on fuel. I planned 7 laps + 6 laps with soft.

first chicane: a miracle and all the cars before me pass safely!
the right turn after the chicane: the car in front of me brakes! I dont' think that is intentionally, but I take this turn with full throttle and I hit he with all my speed! 4 second for me!

I try to stay with the first 6 cars, I have 4 seconds on my shoulders and I change the gears at the middle of rpm, I need slipstream! After us a group of aggressive cars lose space.

Laps 2: I pay my fault (4 seconds) and the cars after me now are before! But They are quite slow and before the end of the hill I was very close! The adrenaline joke me, I have a car in front of me, I try to overtake it after the downhill: I did not realize that a car is near to me on my right and I hit it and after hit the car before me... and I take 4 second of penalty

Now the space between the drivers is much than the first laps, and I can pay my debt with the justice without other scary moments.
At the 5 and 6 lap someone need to change his tyre (and someone chosed Medium tyres!).
I climb position... It's my 5th lap: someone brakes before the chicane of death, and I hit his bottom! more and more "swear words"... I think is not an intentional action, could be that this guy was running on the iron of is tires... but I take other 2 seconds for my sins!

I pay another time my seconds, and finally I need to change my tires (and a very little refueling, something din't worked in my fuel saving style). In front of my only 5 laps, I try to do my best I'm 6th.
I start my 9th lap overtaking the 5 that exit from the pit, before me the 4th have only 0,5 second. Started another fight, I do my best at the turn before the penalty zone, and I braked very well after the downhill before the death chicane. But I can't resist at the exit of the first chicane after the stating point. I don't whant other troubles with the justice, and I have chose safety manner.
The boys before me started to fight, the lap 12th was crucial: after the downhill I overtake on the internal line the drivers before me: they are completly out of best line and I can pass one, but the driver before me had 4 second to pay...
Finally, I'm 4th, full of adrenaline and with a DS very bad! The first was 10 seconde before me.. none will know if without penalty seconds I will did a better position

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive me a touch unrelated, but having got heavier into this as I anticipated and enjoying the series and racing, I wonder if upgrading slightly my setup would improve my times?

For Xmas I got the g29 and the next level gt. I love the seat, but should I have gone for the g923 instead, or something else in that price range?

New gear may be more fun, but it won’t make you faster. Only practice can do that. :)

Nations Dragon Trail Seaside Slot 1, Mid A/S Lobby, Door No. 9

I wasn't sure about this race until I hopped in a lobby with a bunch of A+ and high A drivers. It was 14 cars deep, bumper to bumper, and it stayed that was for at least 5 laps before the chicane started to break us up. It was incredibly intense. LOVED IT. At that point I knew I was going to enjoy the race. So hopped in the lobby and the chat lit up about one certain driver...and he didn't fail to produce dive bombs, penalties, and overall craptatstic driving. Grabbed a pole position and instantly fell back to p18 in turn 1 as said driver bombed T1 which caused me to wait to turn in, and that started the rear-ending cascade. But, I wouldn't let that ruin my night. The rest of the race was spent recovering positions. Managed a top 10 but only finished 2.5 seconds off the winner. Soooooooooo....on to race 2.

Slot 2, Mid A/S Lobby, Door No. 7
While the lobby had a few familiar names, none were GTP regulars. I didn't put down as good a time in qualifying but did manage a p2 start. It was a slip stream battle all the way to the end, when tragedy occurred. Did make the podium, though!!

Jumped on my alt account to see if I could get a little DR on that account since Sharefactory was being a jerk and I wanted to break my PlayStation. The Dr didn't disappoint. Took home a win but the race was pretty uneventful. Had my best qualifying with a 1:32.1xx. Great way to end the night.

Last edited:
He's what we all love about this game.

Edit..Funny (sad) thing is, I pretty much figured it was him you meant before I even rolled the video. There really needs to be a way to get players like him off the grids. Out there to cause havok and nothing else.

Forgive me a touch unrelated, but having got heavier into this as I anticipated and enjoying the series and racing, I wonder if upgrading slightly my setup would improve my times?

For Xmas I got the g29 and the next level gt. I love the seat, but should I have gone for the g923 instead, or something else in that price range?

I have had the G29 since I upgraded to the PS4. I wouldn't thought there was much difference between them. As you are only a few weeks old on the setup you are still in the learning curve and you can compete at any level using any set up. Sure different wheels can 'perform' better for the top players but there is nothing wrong with your setup. Don't forget there are some really fast controller players. Get used to your setup and you will naturally get faster.

I wasn't sure about this race until I hopped in a lobby with a bunch of A+ and high A drivers. It was 14 cars deep, bumper to bumper, and it stayed that was for at least 5 laps before the chicane started to break us up. It was incredibly intense. LOVED IT. At that point I knew I was going to enjoy the race. So hopped in the lobby and the chat lit up about one certain driver...and he didn't fail to produce dive bombs, penalties, and overall craptatstic driving. Grabbed a pole position and instantly fell back to p18 in turn 1 as said driver bombed T1 which caused me to wait to turn in, and that started the rear-ending cascade. But, I wouldn't let that ruin my night. The rest of the race was spent recovering positions. Managed a top 10 but only finished 2.5 seconds off the winner. Soooooooooo....on to race 2.

While the lobby had a few familiar names, none were GTP regulars. I didn't put down as good a time in qualifying but did manage a p2 start. It was a slip stream battle all the way to the end, when tragedy occurred. Did make the podium, though!!

Jumped on my alt account to see if I could get a little DR on that account since Sharefactory was being a jerk and I wanted to break my PlayStation. The Dr didn't disappoint. Took home a win but the race was pretty uneventful. Had my best qualifying with a 1:32.1xx. Great way to end the night.

Yeah, was right there behind you on Turn 1. What a mess, eh?

I poked the bear before the race, calling him out, and he didn't fail to live up to his rep. If you rewatch the replay, you'll see him waiting for me a few times and trying to push me from side to side. Nothing new there...

What was worse is that later on I was punted by the driver that finished behind you, and gathered a few penalties along the way.

Hoping to see you again in a more straightforward FIA race in the future, @Geauxgreddy!

He's what we all love about this game.

Edit..Funny (sad) thing is, I pretty much figured it was him you meant before I even rolled the video. There really needs to be a way to get players like him off the grids. Out there to cause havok and nothing else.

I still don't understand how he's not blocked, I'm pretty sure more than half of the grid reported him, as it usually goes when he's in a lobby. How is no action taken?

Yeah, was right there behind you on Turn 1. What a mess, eh?

I poked the bear before the race, calling the him out, and he didn't fail to live up to his rep. If you rewatch the replay, you'll see him waiting for me a few times and trying to push me from side to side. Nothing new there...

What was worse is that later on I was punted by the driver that finished behind you, and gathered a few penalties along the way.

Hoping to see you again in a more straightforward FIA race in the future, @Geauxgreddy!

I still don't understand how he's not blocked, I'm pretty sure more than half of the grid reported him, as it usually goes when he's in a lobby. How is no action taken?

I'm not sure that feature does anything but make you feel like you've done something after being molested and murdered in a race. LOL. Good racing with you, I'll try to remember the PSN ID that goes with the GTP name and hope to see you in a lobby soon.

Slot 1
Door #1
Quali #3
Punted on lap 1, got sent to the back
Finished 11th

Slot 2
Door #3
Quali #4
Made up places on first lap and made it to second place, then a dive bomb sent me to the back.
Fought my way back to 6th place, ran out of fuel on last turn.
Finished 8th

Still had fun, just wish the races were clean.

I'm not sure that feature does anything but make you feel like you've done something after being molested and murdered in a race. LOL. Good racing with you, I'll try to remember the PSN ID that goes with the GTP name and hope to see you in a lobby soon.

It obviously does nothing at all. That guy is consistently reported by 10-19 players after every race he's in and keeps appearing in our lobbies. Same for his Portugal account. Heck, when I see him, I report him befor warm up, after warm up, before qualy, after qualy as well as after the race. Doesn't matter. He knows there are no repurcussions for what he does, so why stop?

It obviously does nothing at all. That guy is consistently reported by 10-19 players after every race he's in and keeps appearing in our lobbies. Same for his Portugal account. Heck, when I see him, I report him befor warm up, after warm up, before qualy, after qualy as well as after the race. Doesn't matter. He knows there are no repurcussions for what he does, so why stop?

Just give him a good old DR reset during the race... Wedjim and me managed to do that a season ago I haven't seen him since :lol:

Only time to use Medium tires in this race is if tire saving is definitely not your thing, and/or are in the lower splits.
In higher splits, for this race, using Medium tires when not required was a huge no-no. You'll likely see this happen again in Manu round 8, where you'll do multiple Soft stints, and then one 1 lap Hard stint, and the Medium tires go untouched.
Thanks, man! I made the decision on a flyer, and it was my mistake for sure... I'm normally pretty good on tires, but that car was chewing them up so badly, that it spooked me into the decision during the first stint. I also am usually able to get near the same pace with M's (because I don't extract the top speed out of S's!) but in this case I misjudged it.

One of those races that really would have helped to have run some practice races and not just FP... but I just kept missing out on chances to join them.

Overall, pleased enough with a 7th, especially since I qualified 5th in a tougher DR lobby than usual... so I'm happy with the result. But: ALWAYS TRYING TO GET BETTER!

Race number one-b sr-victory.
Back to S.
Second race running second car got thrown off the curbing exiting t2.
Lost spots then understeer Ed into the chicane by a foot or so following fifth.
Then got blocked and brake checked. Finished 96 sr. Ghey ought to do more creative selections. X cars are underused.

Last edited:
Nations Rd. 7

I wasn't really feeling this combo too much with the high multipliers so didn't put in the practice that I should have but still got some results. Entered the first slot 2nd split I believe and stuck to my usual solo qualifying. Just wasn't good enough and was placed 4th on the grid with lower 1:42 time.

So I decided to jump the start and see how well that went.... lights go green and everybody fell asleep at the light. I moved up from 4th to 1st before we reached the slight right hander before T1 then just tried my best to pull away.

I went for the undercut on Lap 5 being up couple of seconds over 2nd place and got caught in lap traffic and punted Kaefunq on accident misjudged just how worn his tires were compared to mine fresh and PD justifying so got a 2 second penalty and when stops cycled around I was up 4 seconds but after serving my penalty and tires worn out on lap 13 as well as being terrible with fuel I ended up finishing 2nd place for 233 points.

Good enough to make it into Top 16 again for Nations in North America! See y'all at Fuji!

PS_App_20210107_014518.jpeg

What a great start and reaction time can do for you... these guys got treed at the start otherwise I didn't have a shot.

Great video, as always! I had the fuel problem at Interlagos but ran out a bit further away from the finish line. I kept the MAP up the entire race, and ended up leaving about .6 laps of fuel on the table. Glad you got a decent result! Those qually times were flying!

Yesterday’s Nations race in the mini was just nutty and I really mean that in a good way. I thought everyone had the memo about this being about tire and fuel saving?!?! In my race, fools were driving like it was Friday night and they just got paid and going to the gas station for fill ups and new tires on laps 10 and 11. After an abysmal P15 quali, a 1sec penalty and P18 on lap 2, I finished P3. I sat there scratching my milk dud shaped head after that one, then I started laughing like a mad scientist. :lol:

Just took a look at the rankings for the current season.

I have an outside, but reasonable chance to salvage a Star Player rating in the Nations... if the criteria remain the same as prior seasons (I don't think they've confirmed it this season). If I repeated my best finish, which isn't so out of this world, I believe I'd bump up to within the top 100 US / Top 140 NA drivers...

Unfortunately the event is at Fuji, but at least it's in Gr4, where I am more competitive than Gr2/Gr3 cars...

Sure would love to earn an "S" even if it's a cheap one in a less-popular Nations Cup season! Gonna give it my best next week.

Sorry not following, what do you mean artificial? I thought the whole point was to go fast...

Someone else suggested going slower so you get matched with weaker drivers... personally I think you're better off setting a decent lap so you race better opponents for DR/Points.

You can be better off coming 8th against strong opponents than 1st against weak

Someone else suggested going slower so you get matched with weaker drivers... personally I think you're better off setting a decent lap so you race better opponents for DR/Points.

You can be better off coming 8th against strong opponents than 1st against weak
Where do I go to check how far I am from getting out of D?

Back