2020 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 1,582 comments
Neither system is perfect.
Another flaw with the older system is that often the champion was determined so early that the final races lacked much drama and importance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Harvick get significant recognition and payment for being 2020 regular season champion?

Neither system is perfect.
Another flaw with the older system is that often the champion was determined so early that the final races lacked much drama and importance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Harvick get significant recognition and payment for being 2020 regular season champion?
There is no requirement that the last races require drama and importance. Sometimes it has it and sometimes it doesn't. If 3 of the 4 drivers in the championship wreck after 10 laps and cannot finish the race, it would be just as dramatic as if the champion was crowned at Martinsville.

Harvick's significant recognition netted him a trophy and points that turned out to be meaningless as he failed to win the actual championship. Note how many people say the Patriots went undefeated in 2007? Sure, they won all regular season games, but they didn't win the championship.

I was never a fan of the original "Chase for the Cup" format, and the recent changes have made me stop watching NASCAR altogether. Harvick getting screwed out of racing for the title that under the pre-Chase system and the pre-Cut Off races system, is so deservedly his sickens me.

You might as well just stop pretending that NASCAR is an actual auto racing series and call it "Motorized Reality Entertainment", because the competition element has been lacking since 2004 and it's pretty much gone now.

Last edited:
That system was flawed as well reason: The champ from previous year always got to pick pit box first no matter where they qualified.
That was a rule? Why didn't anyone just call dibs on the last pit box before the season ever started?
So Matt Kenseth in 2003...the season that made NASCAR lose their minds and start this charade. Yeah, 1992 is the exception to the rule but it would never have happened if it used this system. You want to drama it up? Give points to the top 20 only and cut 10+ races out of the schedule.

That was a rule? Why didn't anyone just call dibs on the last pit box before the season ever started?

So Matt Kenseth in 2003...the season that made NASCAR lose their minds and start this charade. Yeah, 1992 is the exception to the rule but it would never have happened if it used this system. You want to drama it up? Give points to the top 20 only and cut 10+ races out of the schedule.

The overreaction to 2003 was all the more stupid since 2002 was a fantastic championship battle.

Last edited:
People who make the “but NFL and 2007 Patriots” excuse; tell me the last time they had all 32 teams on the field at the same time for 16 straight games and even the playoffs where some teams can’t compete for the Super Bowl.

If you really want to emphasize winning, keep the 1 point per spot system but go back to the Winston Cup championship format and beef up the amount of points a race win gives, say 15-20 more than 2nd place.

(Sure it won’t be that simple. It’s a good start, tweak it every year from there.)

People who make the “but NFL and 2007 Patriots” excuse; tell me the last time they had all 32 teams on the field at the same time for 16 straight games and even the playoffs where some teams can’t compete for the Super Bowl.

That analogy doesn't even work if you ignore the part where not all teams are competing. The stick-and-ball equivalent would be a team scoring the most points in the conference championship but still missing the overall championship game because they were outscored in the final quarter/inning/period etc.

Last edited:
That analogy doesn't even work if you ignore the part where not all teams are competing. The stick-and-ball equivalent would be a team scoring the most points in the conference championship but still missing the overall championship game because they were outscored in the final quarter/inning/period etc.
Solid point, and that only makes the case worse.

Imagine the NFL making a near comeback in the 2nd half a win because they excelled in the last 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Jimmie's hauler has left Hendrick for the final time.

As a side note, this seems to be the first time in NASCAR history where a clear cut top dog didn't emerge during the final years of the last one.

R. Petty -> Earnhardt -> Gordon -> Johnson -> Kyle Busch?

Big congratulations to Sheldon Creed for winning the 2020 NASCAR Truck Championship in 4-wide style. I've had my eye on this kid with the unusual name all year. He just got faster and smarter. I think he has a very bright future.

Creed at Martinsville Speedway in 2018

Last edited:
Against my hopes and expectations, Cindric overdelivered and has prevailed in the Xfinity championship.

https://racer.com/2020/11/07/clutch-pass-in-ot-clinches-2020-xfinity-title-for-cindric/

Comment: This is really going to raise expectations to repeat next year. Can he handle it?

Xfinity, at least, is the only one of the top 3 series where the driver who earned the most points over the entire season won the championship. He entered the race with a 30 point lead over Briscoe and 48 over Chastain, and ended up winning by 42.

In Trucks, the final standings would’ve been Moffitt as champ, with Austin Hill -6 and Creed -9. So Creed was close enough to still be deserving.

The 22 car’s performance yesterday bodes well for Penske’s chances today. Logano is the favourite IMO.

Last edited:
I had no idea Clint Bowyer was retiring as well. Been nothing but Jimmie Johnson shout outs every five minutes. I just googled Clint Bowyer to confirm and all I got was Jimmie Johnson stories. Seriously? :lol:

I had no idea Clint Bowyer was retiring as well. Been nothing but Jimmie Johnson shout outs every five minutes. I just googled Clint Bowyer to confirm and all I got was Jimmie Johnson stories. Seriously? :lol:
Haha, honestly, I understand he's loved by the community (and IMO, an example of why NASCAR SHOULD retire historic numbers)... But he's not retiring motorsport in general... or dying, he's just, afaik, going to IndyCar :lol:

Last edited:
Hence why NBC is probably pushing all JJ to get Cup fans over to watch Indy races. :dopey:
Bowyer is going to Fox.

Edit: I don’t think historic numbers should be retired. “Stock cars” with three numbers don’t look good to me.

Last edited:
Man... This race so far has been thrilling!!! ♥

I don’t think historic numbers should be retired. “Stock cars” with three numbers don’t look good to me.
Yeah, I get your point, but so far only 4 numbers IMO are deserving of this (24, 48, 3, and 43), since their historic drivers already did that, history, that could possibly never be repeated with the same # (just remember how many drivers the 43 had after Petty, and any were even close to match him)... There's a reason of why other sports do that too (pretty sure F1 will retire Hamilton's # when he retires too)... Also, there's plenty # up to 100 NASCAR can use back ;D

Last edited:
I was pulling for Denny, but I'm fine with Chase winning.

Also, with this win Hendrick has become the first team to win a championship in 4 consecutive decades, topping Petty Enterprises who won at least 1 title in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Gibbs is the only other current team with an active streak winning in the last 2 decades.

Also with the #5 coming back next year all 4 numbers will have a championship behind it.

Last edited:
I fully expected a late caution, but that didn't happen. Decent race though.

Not a big fan of Chase, was hoping for one of the Penske cars, but congrats to HMS and the 9 team.

Congrats to Chase. He came up big when it mattered most at the end of the season.

One member has been conspicuously silent here about that no-talent hack..:lol:

Congrats to Chase. He came up big when it mattered most at the end of the season.

Probably trying to find a way to say NASCAR fixed the race so the no-talent hack could win.

Considering his last post was deleted (and as a result, my response to him as well, which is how I know it was deleted), I'm not so sure his absence is voluntary.

Last edited:
Back