2020 Touring Car discussion (TCR, BTCC etc.)Touring Cars 

Race 1 was a bit of a crash fest, but Race 2 has delivered immensely, one of the best races I've watched in a while!

Also Mehdi Bennani won the TCR Europe title despite not winning a single race.

BTCC finale shaping up to be a wet one.. But a close one!
Indeed; Cammish looked to have really got the Civic sorted in Race 1. Great racing from him, Sutton and Ingram, and more pressure on Turkington to fight back in Race 2 with less ballast. The championship fight is really hotting up now...

As a massive Turkington fan, I'm hoping he gets title 5 today, but, with the weather being what it is today, I think it'll slip away from him. After last years finale Cammish absolutely deserves the Championship so if it goes his way I'd be happy too.

Ash Sutton takes Race 2 after an unpredictable race initially dominated by runners starting on wet tyres. Having survived a near-miss with Paul Rivett at Paddock Hill during the late stages of the race, Colin Turkington receives a time penalty for passing Dan Cammish under yellows during that moment.

I agree with Jeff Allam that there was not much else Turkington or Cammish could have done about that, but as it stands they are 9 and 20 points behind Sutton going into the final race which starts in around three minutes' time. Aidan Moffat starts from pole in the other Laser Tools Infiniti.

Yeah, Sutton's had some real moronic moments but he won that title fair and square when it mattered. That bad weekend at Croft just stacked all the cards against Turks.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Ash Sutton for his second Drivers championship and Michael Crees from BTC Racing for picking up the Jack Sears Trophy. It's safe to say that Sutton and his softly-set up Infiniti worked better in the wet than Turkington's BMW, though that didn't stop Turkington from at least trying to fend him off during the final race. More impressive showings from Butcher, Ingram and Cammish, and great to see Jake Hill pick up another 3rd place to end what has been a trying season for him and the MB Motorsport crew.

Welp, I don't like Sutton at all, but he and the team have done an incredible job this season, so, a well earned title.

As much as i want to dislike Sutton after his performances, this year especially, i'm finding it increasingly hard to do so. :boggled::bowdown:

Last edited:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/12/03/inaugural-tcr-new-zealand-calendar-confirmed/

Interesting
The championship will be part of the newly announced Super Production category, which will play host to contemporary Ferrari Challenge, Porsche Carrera Cup, and GT4 cars alongside TCR.

2021 TCR New Zealand Championship Calendar

Rnd Event Date
1 Manfeild Circuit Chris Amon, Feilding 23-24 January
2 Levels Raceway, Timaru 5-6 March
3 Teretonga Park, Invercargill 20-21 March
4 Highlands Motorsport Park, Cromwell 23-24 April

Last edited:
BTCC 2021 rule changes:
  • Top 10 qualifying shootout will be run at more events
  • Option tires to be phased back in
  • Success ballast goes back up to 75kg maximum

Last edited:
That's what I thought, but in that article by Auto Action back in August, there were a couple teams that may have picked up the program.

Could be a builder was found. At this stage, I wouldn't be surprised if GRM acquired the program(highly doubt it). It's good that Lotti are talking to Mazda and Toyota. There's hope.
https://autoaction.com.au/2020/12/09/mg-and-fiat-among-new-tcr-brands

Further additions from Japanese manufacturers Toyota and Mazda are also in the early stages of development.

After announcing a TCR version of its new 3 hatchback, Mazda canned the American-based project due to the team leading the development, Long Road Racing was disbanded late-last year.

TCR South America will debut next year and Toyota is expected to be part of the field through its Argentinean distributor, which confirmed it was building entries based on the Toyota Corolla sedan.

Last edited:
Hyundai is adding to their TCR fleet with the Elantra N.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/impc/bha-to-debut-hyundai-elantra-n-tcr-in-three-car-effort/
elantra12.jpg

Back