2021 Acura TLX: Is Acura actually trying again?

This is probably one of the worst suggestions, lol. That would be just a luxury money pit.
He might have watched one of those "What would you buy for x amount" VinWiki videos since 1 of those guys suggested a Quattroporte Sport GTS for under $35K in the newest one.

The whole series has been full of silly suggestions like buying a sub-$10,000 E46 M3. You could, but you really shouldn't.

He might have watched one of those "What would you buy for x amount" VinWiki videos since 1 of those guys suggested a Quattroporte Sport GTS for under $35K in the newest one.

The whole series has been full of silly suggestions like buying a sub-$10,000 E46 M3. You could, but you really
shouldn't.

It reminds me of when one of the Jalopnik journalists suggested a used M5 with a V10 in one of their “What car should I buy?” articles. You might as well just light a pile of money on fire.

If someone was serious about getting a used, cheap and reliable luxury sedan, Acura or Lexus is a no brainer.

Last edited:
Hell yes they're trying again and it looks like a muscle car and I want it.

49wjr6.jpg

Jerome

You know, I was expecting at least 400hp out of that turbo'd V6... Maybe I'm just spoiled by my wife's V6 luxury car making 400hp.

You know, I was expecting at least 400hp out of that turbo'd V6... Maybe I'm just spoiled by my wife's V6 luxury car making 400hp.

Without questions this is quite underwhelming.

I wonder if they plan to boost up the V6 a bit for the MDX Type-S, since it's a large SUV.

Is Acura actually trying again? It's a resounding no it seems. Don't get me wrong, the TLX isn't an awful car, but it's just simply not competitive enough. At best, there's a 5% chance that the new TLX will outsell the old one; most likely, sales will continue to decline. I wouldn't be surprised if 5-6 years from now we hear the news, "Acura becomes next brand to completely eliminate sedans from its lineup; only CUVs and SUVs remain".

To answer my own question, it seems like "not that hard" is most appropriate.

Maybe the Type S will be a big upgrade but, as with the straight pipes consensus, I have a really hard time with the idea of choosing the TLX over a G70 - especially the new G70...It does seem like Yuri was being overly negative.

edit: Lot more positive impression courtesy of Winding Road / Topher

Pretty big difference in perspectives here.

Last edited:
Acura seems to be the Japanese Audi. The also-ran of a country’s luxury big 3, trying to pick up the scraps the other two leave behind by being quirky and different (Even though they sell more than Infiniti).
Wonder when they plan on stepping up their performance game to try and meet the F series Lexii? Whenever Honda finally decides to make a V8, it would seem

To answer my own question, it seems like "not that hard" is most appropriate.

Maybe the Type S will be a big upgrade but, as with the straight pipes consensus, I have a really hard time with the idea of choosing the TLX over a G70 - especially the new G70...It does seem like Yuri was being overly negative.

Seems alright. The interior appears well done.

But yeah, I would do G70 or 330i over this. Though Acura may be a better bet in the long term.

I do like this car aesthetically and mechanically and I am kind of jealous of our American and Canadian brethren benefiting from the new Accord and this Acura TLX. We don't get these models here at all, I would have to import a heavily priced and taxed RHD from japan stock direct and ship it over. As a real lover of Honda design, I get this look and spec.

I'm real gutted we get neglected here in the UK for smaller pot Civic and Jazz vehicles from Honda. Mondeo's, Passat's and Insignia's are boring generic as hell, At least we get the HONDA E, but they need to bring back the newest Accord as it is more of a reliable tank than a used 3-series! :grumpy:

Last edited:
Looking on Acura's site, it's nice to see the formula doesn't appear to have changed from my 3G S. The car is pretty much loaded with no options besides colors & wheel/tire, and over-priced accessories. Nearly $55K, though where as mine was pretty much $40K out the door. The IS500 is est. to start in that same ballpark of mid-$50Ks, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lexus has it nicely spec'd from the get-go beyond some additional color costs & accessories. I would honestly be a bit more tempted to spend the extra money for the extra V8/power.

Looking on Acura's site, it's nice to see the formula doesn't appear to have changed from my 3G S. The car is pretty much loaded with no options besides colors & wheel/tire, and over-priced accessories. Nearly $55K, though where as mine was pretty much $40K out the door. The IS500 is est. to start in that same ballpark of mid-$50Ks, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lexus has it nicely spec'd from the get-go beyond some additional color costs & accessories. I would honestly be a bit more tempted to spend the extra money for the extra V8/power.
Speaking of extra power and a decent price, the top-spec G70 seems to be around $53k and it's a damn good looking little ripper with a Hyundai warranty and normal-person ergonomics.

Speaking of extra power and a decent price, the top-spec G70 seems to be around $53k and it's a damn good looking little ripper with a Hyundai warranty and normal-person ergonomics.
The Genesis line as a whole is something else & I applaud Hyundai for what they've accomplished with it. There is an exotic dealer in SoCal called O'Gara Coach that has a store in San Diego & 2 stores in the LA area & they have started selling Genesis on the same lots as their McLarens, Rolls, Lambos, & Bentleys. That speaks volumes if the LA exotic market is willing to push the brand with the same attention they give 6/7-figure makes.

Am I the only one who feels the tail lights have a compact sports car look that doesn't quite match up with the kind of image the front has?

Last edited:
They look okay but I do think there's a bit of a mismatch in design between the front and rear. The rear has more curves, slight Alfa or Mazda 6 vibe where as the front is more straight lines and angles.

Saw a few of these on the road by now. They don’t look too bad, but honestly, it does look like a Buick Regal with the signature Acura beak grafted onto it.

I'll say it once and I will say it again, Why is this damn thing not badged as a Honda and sold here in the UK???

As a long-term Honda fan, I like the style and equipment on this car, as a go around for not having the Accord either, I really do hate that SUV and small compact hatches ruined the sector here in the UK and only yanks & canucks are lucky enough to savour these unique Acura (Honda) models.

The UK savours more cars like this since we had the very special and fun 2001 Accord Type-R and 2007 Accord Euro R (import). Both cars were great at Honda making fast fun saloons but it seem they bowed out here and it is a real shame. :banghead:

ZEE
I'll say it once and I will say it again, Why is this damn thing not badged as a Honda and sold here in the UK???

As a long-term Honda fan, I like the style and equipment on this car, as a go around for not having the Accord either, I really do hate that SUV and small compact hatches ruined the sector here in the UK and only yanks & canucks are lucky enough to savour these unique Acura (Honda) models.

The UK savours more cars like this since we had the very special and fun 2001 Accord Type-R and 2007 Accord Euro R (import). Both cars were great at Honda making fast fun saloons but it seem they bowed out here and it is a real shame. :banghead:

Sadly, there just isn't a market case for cars like this in the UK.

My wife was looking to pre order a type s but apparently they are all spoken for here.

Last edited:
VXR
Sadly, there just isn't a market case for cars like this in the UK.

There's no case for this in Western RHD markets. I dont know about the UK market but in AU/NZ I beleive Honda is pulling out of the country.

ie. they are moving to an appointed distributor model ie. like ATECO or Scuderia Veloce here. They used to be a fully owned Honda Australia company.

To give you an example of how upside down Honda is here... the Honda Accord used to be a top selling car at around $35,000.

Its now:

MSRP: From AU$52,800
Fuel tank capacity: 49 to 56 L
Fuel economy: 6.5 l/100km combined (8.6 city, 5.3 highway)
Make: Honda Motor Company
Engine: 1.5 L 4-cylinder, 2.0 L 4-cylinder

Who would pay that when there's much better cars from the competition.

There's no market for sedans let alone luxury FWD sedans when you can get the Kia Stinger and that sort. Honda are dead here. The Koreans and Chinese will eat their lunch.

Unless you're selling a top of the line SUV or a performance RWD or 4wd then you're nowhere.

A look at the Type S *language warning probably*

That review makes me think this is gonna be great when someday it's fully electric. For now, it seems like just about every real compromise is driven by the fact that the car is based on an ICE. All the parts they loved would translate better to an EV.

Last edited:
Th answer the question of whether Acura is actually trying again...

It's trying, but it's not trying as hard as the competition's 4+ year old engine.

Back