2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Was in the same slot as @VulcanSpirit and ended up with a slipstream behind him for the first lap of quali, I was intending to return the favour on the 2nd lap but he made a mistake the chicane, funnily enough I was up by 0.15 on my second lap but had a poor last sector, both laps would've had me in the same position.

After the early exchanges, I was in a pack of 3 for P5, we managed to pull away from the pack behind and were just waiting on mistakes from the cars ahead. This ended up happening when a Porsche fluffed the chicane, we ended up side by side through the first Lesmo and due to a small contact I ended up with a penalty (see clip). Was quite unfortunate as I don't think either of us did anything wrong but I guess that's just how the cards fell on that one. I lost 2 positions from said penalty but got them back later through other's mistakes and in the end was a decent result and not a bad race overall either.

Highlights

Tonight's FIA race but edited down to just the ********:

Somehow I managed to start on pole with the slowest car on the grid and stayed in the top 3 for most of the race. Then it went to rubbish:

• Following a laggy car is now a 2 second penalty
  • Peugeot driver does Peugeot things
  • Unexpected braking? Blame the car behind...
  • Crash ahead, have a penalty
  • Lexus leaves a cars width but only if you're willing to use the grass

10th place and 150 points but should've been more. Crap BOP, crap connections, crap penalties and crap driving.

Nice save. To keep two wheels on the track there.

Last race was a blast, driving the Atenza, so not much top end speed. Worked with an Italian in a RCZ. P6 and P7. Bump drafting to keep up with the group ahead and to keep the chasing pack at bay.

Great fun. But need to spend a few days building back the account. Gone from A/S. To barely B/S. SR 86.

I now despise Monza with a passion. I can't recall the last time I had an FIA race there where I haven't been punted, pushed off or just binned myself. I even thought being in a car with straight-line speed like the Mustang would help. I was horribly wrong.

Qualifying didn't happen. I waited in the pits because I didn't want to be in the slipstream train, and backed off heading down towards Parabolica to make sure I didn't catch up with a Beetle who seemed to have been struggling a bit. Turns out I didn't back off even remotely enough because I caught it in sector 2 on my flying lap. I hit it from behind going into Ascari because he braked ever so slightly earlier than I'd anticipated, which led to a penalty. I couldn't set a valid lap and started from almost at the back. Please Polyphony, up the qualifying time from 5 minutes again, I beg you.

Loads of people went off at turn 1 so I thought I was going to at least recover something and I managed to escape the Beetle I'd tangled with in qualifying, but then got pushed off by a Lambo going side-by-side through the first chicane despite leaving him space. That led to me getting caught back up with the Beetle again, and Ascari was just truly cursed. Seemed like the brakes did nothing every single time I went through there. On one occasion I went so deep I ended up on the gravel, and then getting off of that took forever and destroyed the rear tyres. Finished P17.

I only went once, partially out of raw frustration and partially because I ordered a Fanatec CSL Elite set on Black Friday that turned up one day earlier than expected. I needed some extra nuts and bolts to fix it to my racing seat, and if I hung around for the third slot I wouldn't have been able to get to the shops before they closed.

So mixed day. Another rage-inducing round at Monza that had me almost foaming at the mouth, but yay new steering wheel. Now I'm trying to adjust to this thing because it feels so different...

Last edited:
Since my Gr.3 race is in the past. :sly: Thought I'd jump in for next week's FP, to get the tyre brand back on my Gr.4 car.:lol:

Now, Rangeraus is fast. What does this mean with me in 3rd? After 3 laps, optimum is a .706. I was aiming for the Vantage, due to its straightline speed.
EoQNDsyVcAAALBE

I like Willow Springs - my only 40 point win was here with the Gr4 Alfa earlier this year.

There is more time in the lap I did, but I was only 0.007 down on my optimal time so called it a night after that.

It's all fun and games until someone mails in a lap 0.5 seconds per lap faster than that time with the TT or Scirocco. They're 400-500kg lighter than most Gr4 cars so they don't really have any tyre wear weaknesses either.

Everyone knows BOP is broken, but the last BOP update was nearly 6 months ago now, so I don't really have any faith that it is going to be fixed until some point next year

I like Willow Springs - my only 40 point win was here with the Gr4 Alfa earlier this year.

There is more time in the lap I did, but I was only 0.007 down on my optimal time so called it a night after that.

It's all fun and games until someone mails in a lap 0.5 seconds per lap faster than that time with the TT or Scirocco. They're 400-500kg lighter than most Gr4 cars so they don't really have any tyre wear weaknesses either.

Everyone knows BOP is broken, but the last BOP update was nearly 6 months ago now, so I don't really have any faith that it is going to be fixed until some point next year
Yeah, the P2 Scirocco keeps up good speed into T1 and T2. I can't touch it on corner exits. You're NSX has better MR grip as well. I need a turbo upgrade.

Everyone pulls away from me on the back "straight". My only chance will probably be tyre wear or an FF gets baulked.

A chaotic start to slot 1 in North American Manufacturer Cup at Monza in a pretty strong all A/S lobby.

I qualified in 10th without much help, but it was the poor connection of the 6th place that would give me all the help I would need. We all came to a stop behind him as the race was starting, and by the time it was sorted out I was in P6 before we even crossed the start line. We were however, 6 seconds from 5th place. The one red bar dude stayed in the middle of Parabolica for the whole race!

From there, it was a matter of managing the pace and the tires and bring it home P6, 3 seconds behind 5th and 3 seconds up on 7th.

A decent result, worth 124 points, CRB and 700 DR ~ 33K. Not tempting fate again on the main, one and done.

The yellow car glitching at the start, and me plowing through him.

20201202195515.jpg

20201202195507.jpg

We were already many seconds behind the main pack as we came out of Parabolica to begin the race:
20201202195523.jpg

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20201202194146.jpg

That was a crazy race! :lol: There were so many penalties and Red S/A’s at the end, there was even guys deliberately taking each other out! :eek: I qualified 10th, but kinda messed up/got taken out before we even got to T1, and got a 1.5s pen to boot! :lol: Dropped back to 19th after serving it, but I made my way back up to 9th by the end. It was actually pretty entertaining race watching everyone else fight and get penalties, I’m just glad I was able to avoid most of it after the first lap. :)

E6BD38D7-E514-4EB3-9AB4-3F4314461893.jpeg

47BA62C4-6D58-4989-93A6-1572D0AE342A.jpeg

I shared the replay in game as well just for laughs, the chaos in this race was very unusual for a higher split race. :odd: It’s tagged GTP, TPC and FIA. :)

Last edited:
NA Slot 2. Qualified 6th after getting a slipstream towards the end of my lap. TPC_Roam was in this race with me too.

Highlights:

- Getting punted at Ascari on lap 1 by a red AMG, but somehow saved it and only lost one position. AMG doesn't get a penalty, but probably because I kept my car within the track limits after getting hit.

- Accidentally tapped the back of aforementioned red AMG on the final turn on lap 12, giving me a 2 second penalty. I almost spun them out, so that was fair, but still not consistent with what happened earlier.

- Red AMG dive bombing a Lexus on the final turn on lap 14. The Lexus gets away mostly unscathed and the AMG driver gets a 2 second penalty and I drive past them. Karma???

- A very disgruntled player typing "I hate every one of you" in the chat post-race. :lol:

Pretty straight forward race other than that. End result:

Manufacturers_12-2-20.png

My SR has dropped to 94 as well. A bit disappointed as I had a chance of getting 150+ points, which would be a great score for the DR level I'm at. But I'm still glad I got a decent result. Much better than the first round.

Last edited:
Well that was a wild race. Didn’t get qualifying right to start 14th. Ok. Room to improve. Too bad for much of the race that’s about where I stood. Had moved up a few spots in the opening lap. One thanks to a spin in the chicane by @KosmoKazi, but to be for naught as I was bumped off track by an over eager Porsche. Climbed back forwards and soon found myself blasting 3 wide on the straight for 10th entering the final lap. Picked off another spun car to finish up in 9th. One spot ahead of @KosmoKazi, who I find time and again racing very clean, yet very aggressive this season.

F85C960E-0166-44DC-B7F4-B2F25FEC0F2D.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 975805

OMG OMG I’ve only just gone and won my first ever FIA race!!!! :lol::D:cheers::gtpflag: I can’t believe it!!

View attachment 975804

Took the lead on lap 1 and stayed there the whole time! Jelly hands for most of it :lol:

Right, I’m going again! Only joking haha!

View attachment 975806

congrats!

NA Slot 2. Qualified 6th after getting a slipstream towards the end of my lap. TPC_Roam was in this race with me too.

Highlights:

- Getting punted at Ascari on lap 1 by a red AMG, but somehow saved it and only lost one position. AMG doesn't get a penalty, but probably because I kept my car within the track limits after getting hit.

- Accidentally tapped the back of aforementioned red AMG on the final turn on lap 12, giving me a 2 second penalty. I almost spun them out, so that was fair, but still not consistent with what happened earlier.

- Red AMG dive bombing a Lexus on the final turn on lap 14. The Lexus gets away mostly unscathed and the AMG driver gets a 2 second penalty and I drive past them. Karma???

- A very disgruntled player typing "I hate every one of you" in the chat post-race. :lol:

Pretty straight forward race other than that. End result:

View attachment 975917

My SR has dropped to 94 as well. A bit disappointed as I had a chance of getting 150+ points, which would be a great score for the DR level I'm at. But I'm still glad I got a decent result. Much better than the first round.

Are you sure it wasn’t a Ferrari? It looked like you were racing a persona non grata who drives one of those behind me.

I’ll keep my race story short. I messed up qually enough that I ran a non slip lap in the race faster. Ended up P2 to start by .001 seconds and then struggled with cold tires for the first lap. After that, I had a great back and forth for the entirety of the race. The guy messaged afterwards to say we should’ve worked together to catch the front runners — fair point, and I’ll definitely work with him next time.

I finished P4 for 173 points. Sort of disappointed since I had some juice in my Supra here, but I think it ties my best points ever.

Last edited:
2020/21 Exhibition Series - Season 2 - Round 1
Manufacturers Series
Race #2 - Gr3 / Autodromo Nazionale Monza No Chicane

Spent more than an hour on FP for this race, seemingly futile effort as the Porsche was clearly just not up to the task as far as pace was going to be concerned at this Monza event. Even jumped on my Alt account in the Corvette to see 'if it was me' or 'if it was the car'... I was immediately a full second faster in the Vette, at 1:39.00 on my first lap, so 'it was the car'. Considered only running on the Alt, and skipping it on the main account, but that wasn't really the plan this year so I was going to live with it, whatever it was, even as I languish at the A DR cutoff line and put it at risk again with a terrible race.

But surprised myself by putting the RSR on the grid in a solid 7th starting position without a tow at all... actually really happy with that. Now just preserve my position best as possible in this straight up sprint and bring home the points, right? And after a perfect start, I was able slipstream into the 6th position headed into the chicane for the first time. This was going fantastic!

A lesson in humility... instead: I binned it on my own in the first chicane. Just lost the rear end on the cold tires.$%&#!! Ended up in 17th position, and 5 or 6 seconds behind the pack, because of course I was completely turned around and in the gravel by the time I stopped it.

Knowing that the race would likely feature some penalties and that I hadn't had high hopes for it going in, I just put my head down and tried for a top 10 miracle. This race was actually pretty fun... once I regained the slipstream, the Porsche was a formidable race car in this setup... which surprised me. I clawed my way up to a clean 10th place, enjoying some nice back and forth with an Aston, and using his power for a tow up to the next driver, until that top-10 finish. Had a few nice hard battles with @HaydenFan69 again, with whom I seem paired with every race lately... which is cool. Those Big Mac turbos are LOUD, BTW! I can hear your throttle modulation from way behind you. See you next race!

But lesson learned... it was a wasted opportunity as I am sure I had a top-5 if I had just driven smart and gone easy into that first chicane. The Porsche was really very effective as the slipstream and tall gearing meant it was a sure position every time down the front stretch, as long as you hit Parabolica half-right. Oh well... race and learn. Fun race, and surprising and satisfying result, given the mistake I made.

7431594707600279040_0.jpg

Porsche 911 RSR (991) '17
Qualified: 7th
Race Finish: 10th (98 pts)
Door #15 (+100 DR)

Last edited:
That was a crazy race! :lol: There were so many penalties and Red S/A’s at the end, there was even guys deliberately taking each other out! :eek: I qualified 10th, but kinda messed up/got taken out before we even got to T1, and got a 1.5s pen to boot! :lol: Dropped back to 19th after serving it, but I made my way back up to 9th by the end. It was actually pretty entertaining race watching everyone else fight and get penalties, I’m just glad I was able to avoid most of it after the first lap. :)

View attachment 975913
View attachment 975914

I shared the replay in game as well just for laughs, the chaos in this race was very unusual for a higher split race. :odd: It’s tagged GTP, TPC and FIA. :)

Good for you! Great stuff! Thanks for sharing that I’m gonna watch it in ten minutes!
Let em fight! Every real RACER loves to see cars ahead fighting like children!!!

Slot 1, high B lobby, they had me listed as door number 20. So, I had a good shot at grabbing a chunk of DR. I jumped out quick and qualified alone and landed in p2 by only 0.018 seconds. I then followed P1 for about 5 laps before taking a shot passing the McClaren in Curva Grande. Wanted to see how he did in the slip. Worked out fine as he struggled and I took the win. 1600ish DR!!

Slot 3, High B lobby again, they had me as door number 1 this time. GRRRRRrrrrrr. Not what I wanted, wanted an A lobby and door 20. Oh well. Jumped out quick in qualy again and took P2 yet again. Not my strongest qualifying lap but I wasn't too worried. Lap 1 1st chicane p1 gets very loose, I slow down as much as I can but managed to pick up 1 second for hitting him. Deep breath. Patience! Kept the head down, and worked my way to p4 then P3. P2 was now an FT1 that was a poltergeist lagging all over the track. I never knew where he was the entire race. Managed to get out in front of the demon car and the Mustangn that qualified in pole and took another victory (Big #100) AND made it back into the A rankings. Picked up like 2300 DR. Odd, but I'll take it!

Well, this was a very frustrating evening for what should've been an amazing points haul, but as usual, when I start to show above average pace at a track, I manage to either drive like a complete idiot and don't score any meaningful points, or take several attempts to get a result that should've been easy on the first try. This time it was a bit of a mixture of both...

In the end, it was a decent night, but I should've done far, FAR better than I did.

Slot 1:
Managed to screw up both qualifying laps and started 13th when I could've been in contention for pole. Managed to not make any truly idiotic mistakes and finished 5th for 216 points, which would've been more enough under normal circumstances, but I wanted to make a bid for the Top 16, so I knew I needed more, and I could've had more had I not screwed up my qualifying, plus I knew I had the pace for far more points anyway. Normally wouldn't concern myself with the Top 16, but the first T16 round is at Blue Moon Bay, which is my favorite and by far my most successful circuit, so I wanted to make an extra effort to try to make the Top 16 this time.

Slot 2:
Finally set what I thought was a decent lap time, which would've put me at least in the Top 5 in the previous race, only this time it was still only good for 13th. This race was actually worth slightly fewer points than the first one, but qualifying was so much faster. This time I could only climb as high as 7th for 198 points, so it was a no-brainer to go again.

Slot 3:

Cut the exit of Ascari, which ruined both of my qualifying laps (invalidated the first one, forced me to serve the penalty in the 2nd one). Qualified last, and was running 11th towards the end with not even a slight hope of decent points, so I decided to stuff it into the pit wall and bail.

Slot 4:

Finally threw together a decent qualifying effort, and lined up 4th, but the points started out at 40 fewer than the previous 3 slots I was in. Unfortunately it took me this long to not screw up the braking points while in the slipstream. I finished 3rd, 0.5s behind the winner, and spent the majority of the race staying just outside of slipstream range to 4th place, while also being just out of slipstream range to the front 2. I was rewarded with 210 points, which, again, would've been enough to be happy with under any other circumstances. Either way I knew the final slot would have even fewer points so there was no point in risking it again.

Last edited:
I raced yesterday after dinner, 21.00 in Italy. The more important goal reached is: I'm very happy because the race was funny.

6 drivers + 1 (myself) in the circuit were Italian, and I know that Monza+Italians is a dangerous mix (because all of us trust that a national circuit means that we are faster).
I jinx myself because, I can't drove a clear lap in qualifying because a driver (ITA) before me is too much slow but defendes is position and I can't overtake it...

Ok, P13 on the start lane... (behinde the driver that crash my lap qualifying) . But my Toyota have short gears, and I can overtake 3 cars. At the "curva grande" I'm careful and I'm light on the throttle no trouble is better than... "Hey a bmw jumps over the kerbs and crashed, bye bye darling".

I lost 1 years of life when the first lap I missed totally my braking point at "parabolica" after overtake a car... I don't know "what I did", but I drifted like a young Japanese teenager in the tokio hills. I lost 2 position but I'm on the track!

The lap 2 was very hard, someone on the first turn of the "roggia" hit me "hey! don't touch my bottom!",
I haven't trouble and can fight with an "alfa romeo C4" (italians driver of course, Who drive an alfa romeo if he isn't Italian?). The boy was fast and didn't release the bone...

I drove carefull, without penalties, lap after lap. And At the end I'm 6th.
It's my first FIA manufacturer series, I'm a slow "grey bear" driver, but I'm happy and it isn't few!

(from 1 to 7 this race ended with 6 italians and 1 French 2nd)

p.s.: thank you for read this wall text, your Karma will be better after this penalty

View attachment 975913
View attachment 975914

What that Porsche driver did on lap 3 at the first chicane annoys me so much. I don’t understand why some people insist on being adamant about trying to get past you when they have penalties. It’s pointless for obvious reasons.

Are you sure it wasn’t a Ferrari? It looked like you were racing a persona non grata who drives one of those behind me

Yeah, I was swapping positions with a Ferrari for a few laps, until I briefly lost control of my car and they got away for good.

Well that was a wild race. Didn’t get qualifying right to start 14th. Ok. Room to improve. Too bad for much of the race that’s about where I stood. Had moved up a few spots in the opening lap. One thanks to a spin in the chicane by @KosmoKazi, but to be for naught as I was bumped off track by an over eager Porsche. Climbed back forwards and soon found myself blasting 3 wide on the straight for 10th entering the final lap. Picked off another spun car to finish up in 9th. One spot ahead of @KosmoKazi, who I find time and again racing very clean, yet very aggressive this season.

View attachment 975926
Thanks! Yeah I thought we had a couple of fun moments racing hard and clean... nothing beats it.

I am still kicking myself for the cock-up in the first chicane... such a wasted opportunity, starting from the front end of the grid, in a car that turned out to be pretty potent in the race.

I was discouraged by the Porsche's apparent lack of pure pace headed into the race, and thought I really needed to take advantage of it's best-in-class brakes in order to survive in the top 10, but I forgot about the RSR's other secret weapon: that incredible long top gear ratio... it was so easy to pull people on the main straight and dive into Curva Grande to pass people. I completely blew a very likely top 5 result, after I managed a fantastic qualifying lap.

And I'll say this: twas about as clean a race at Monza as I've ever experienced. Good hard racing the whole time. I got tapped from behind entering the chicane once, which caused a chain reaction tap to the guy in front of me. And an occasional bit of contact from another hard racer, but I think it was more because he was lagging a bit with a weak network connection. I really enjoyed this race, which I nearly skipped!

@afc5150 @Pigems @HaydenFan69 ...how are you guys posting the end results of races screen caps now? I used to use the PS app and 'share' that screen capture there (to no one, but that way it was available in my feed when I looked, to cut/paste). But the new app doesn't allow that, and I don't know how to take a saved screen cap into my computer. Thanks.

Also... pretty excited about the Nations race at Lago Maggiore coming up. After a good first round, a race that I've had great results in before, to help potentially build up the points I need to stay at the good end of the Season rankings. Chasing that elusive "S"... maybe there's a chance if these events continue to fit my strengths.

Last edited:
@afc5150 @Pigems @HaydenFan69 ...how are you guys posting the end results of races screen caps now? I used to use the PS app and 'share' that screen capture there (to no one, but that way it was available in my feed when I looked, to cut/paste). But the new app doesn't allow that, and I don't know how to take a saved screen cap into my computer. Thanks.

Also... pretty excited about the Nations race at Lago Maggiore coming up. After a good first round, a race that I've had great results in before, to help potentially build up the points I need to stay at the good end of the Season rankings. Chasing that elusive "S"... maybe there's a chance if these events continue to fit my strengths.

I send a message to myself and save the image.

Good luck on the S -- I have my highest "per race" point total ever in Manu and I'm outside the top 140! (ok, so tied for 141). I think participation has clicked back up again! This is after getting the S last round after averaging like 140 pts a round in nations and being well in the top 100.

Nations might be a different story though. I'm gonna run the next round.

I have a message going between my 3 accounts, I screen shot it in game, then send it to myself as a message so I can grab the photo on my phone with the PS app. 👍

I use the PS app, send the screenshot from the PS4 to my phone then post it here. Edit: as a message to myself or an alt

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone... seems the most common way is to message it from the PS4 unit itself. I guess that's not a lot different than posting it to the Activities.

I hadn't really even looked at the FIA events schedule, while I was away from the game for a few weeks. But a few observations:

• Nations: I really like the variety in the Nations schedule overall. The Integra and Mini Vision races play nicely into my strengths I think... I'm usually pretty competitive in the FWD road cars, so I am hopeful this will be my best season, especially given the Yaris event that we started with also went well for me.
  • Nations: Glad to see that SSRX event... we have to all agree it was a blast and nice change of pace. Given that we only score the top 4 out of 8 events... what's the harm in a joker of a race? It was so fun to run that one over the summer, and I hope this one goes just as well.
  • Nations: SF19 race?!? YES! ... Bathurst?!? NO!!! what a bummer... those cars at a proper GP track are a great challenge. But I hate Mt Panorama and it's a waste to run the SF's there IMO.
  • Manufacturers: Blue Moon Bay Speedway?!? YES!! ...wait, the OVAL? NO! (I really like the infield road course, it's set up for great racing IMO)
  • Manufacturers: Straight up Nordschleife race? Gr4, though... suspect that the FF cars will dominate as their tire wear will just slow down anyone behind them until the back straight, then their HP advantage will just let them pull on the straight again to keep that position. Not optimistic will make for a fun race. I'd like to see a longer one if we raced there.
  • Manufacturers: Having the Lago Maggiore Center short course in the same season as the RBR short course is interesting, but with high tire wear and Gr3 cars, gonna be a frantic banger of a race, I bet. At least it's some variety to end the season with.

Good luck for the rest of the season. See a lot of you out there on the grids, I hope.

I share to my Twitter (only thing I’ve used it for in like 10 years), and just save to my phone or computer.

Slot 1, high B lobby, they had me listed as door number 20. So, I had a good shot at grabbing a chunk of DR. I jumped out quick and qualified alone and landed in p2 by only 0.018 seconds. I then followed P1 for about 5 laps before taking a shot passing the McClaren in Curva Grande. Wanted to see how he did in the slip. Worked out fine as he struggled and I took the win. 1600ish DR!!

I was in this race with you actually, great job by the way!!. I qualified 6th in the Vette with a #10 on the door and finished 4th for 124 points so I was happy with that as I finally got my dr A back.
I do have a question for all of you talking about your SR dropping....where do I find this info?

Last edited:
Back