2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
I decided to take a break from FIA now, this is family time now.
While I am not taking a full break from the lot I have made the choice to step back a bit. Time to focus on family, like you said. Will be working on racing some time, but spending more in the 'real world' stuff that I figure counts more.

Hope you and everyone else has a good and healthy end of the calendar year. Let's finish the year on an upswing if we can, if not with results then with the mood.

I'll only post a good race report from now till New Years.👍

Going to be a challenge as I'm a great whiner.:sly:

Nations Cup round 2 - Subaru at Lago Maggiore

Had decent pace in practice, I am decent also on tyrewear so I was pretty confident going in this one.

Slot1: Qualified P4, had a decent start being in the lead pack, but end of lap1 I went to wide on the entry in the right handers complex, clipped the grass and slided all the way into the wall. Damaged my tyres, and then the fighting to go up the field did not do them too much good. Add in also a complete crap penalty of 3s at the end and that was P17.

Slot2: Stronger lobby, qualified P7. Was going good, gaining one position and having good pace. Lap3 though, I got a bit distracted on the start straight and missed my braking point and slammed into the back of car in front(have no idea who it was, if you were hit by a yellow/blue Motul branded Subbie - I am really sorry) and got a 3s penalty. I spent the next 3-4 laps cruising, waiting for all the pack to pass me and then decided to quit as my SR was clearly ruined and had better chance to improve it with one run at Brands Hatch.

Slot3: After cleaning up the SR in daily C, went again. Qualified again in P4, had a decent start keeping in the 4 car lead pack. No fighting, we managed to break away but the leader was too fast for us. I followed the 2 cars in front for another 7-8 laps, but made a slight mistake and I was out of slipstream. Did not manage to do anything so had to settle with P4 and 203p.

Although the points are great, it was a frustrating night. I ruined my race first run, then followed by ruining another's. Really sorry again, if you are reading this.

Horrible Nations race in NA slot 1, surrounded by supposed A/S drivers. Hit off the track in qualy, so started near the rear. Worked my way up to around 12th and the people ahead decided that was far enough for me. Was then spun out (twice on the main straight) 3 times to eventually finish 19th and only because of the penalty served to the last place guy who spun me on the last corner received a 3 second penalty for his efforts.

One and done, for all the wrong reasons. 40 points, 1300 DR loss, 5 SR loss, and a very dejected me.

Horrible Nations race in NA slot 1, surrounded by supposed A/S drivers. Hit off the track in qualy, so started near the rear. Worked my way up to around 12th and the people ahead decided that was far enough for me. Was then spun out (twice on the main straight) 3 times to eventually finish 19th and only because of the penalty served to the last place guy who spun me on the last corner received a 3 second penalty for his efforts.

One and done, for all the wrong reasons. 40 points, 1300 DR loss, 5 SR loss, and a very dejected me.

Ouch. I find the Nations races to be a bit dirtier than the Manu. Cars are too closely matched I guess.

Being that I know I'm going to miss the next few races for work stuff, I decided I should put in some work at not sucking at Bathhurst. As I started poking around the GT League races to see if there's a Bathurst races in there, I was suddenly struck with an idea:

I want a Sambabus Bathurst race!

Here’s my view of yesterday’s race. It was scrappy and I lost some SR for inconsequential taps, but everyone was racing clean for the most part, with the exception of me getting pushed a little wide at T2.

After that I was caught in a large pack for awhile and the Canada flag guy wanted to fight hard through every corner while @Pigems and the leader got away clean. I was trying to be patient and not lose too much time but the battling ahead meant a small army of quick drivers were catching up from behind. So basically I was tactically attacking and defending the whole race while @GTWolverine and Andrei were breathing down my neck.

Eventually the guy just ahead fell back due to a nonsense penalty, and I caught up to argey-bargey. Got by him once and he got the cut back on me. Set it up again 2 laps later in the same spot but made it stick that time.

Once Andrei also got by him I had to switch to defensive mode. He was quick but I think he was cooking his tires outbraking me. He eventually fell back once I caught some slip from P3, who also seemed to be struggling toward the end. I wasn’t sure I was going to, but I eventually caught up to P3 and sealed the deal on the final lap for a podium finish.

I was pretty calm at the time, but in hindsight this was an intense race and I had to be on my toes the whole time. Good stuff. And congrats on the great finishes yesterday @Pigems and @GTWolverine

Last edited:
People usually aren't as familiar with the cars, and gaining an advantage cleanly is harder because everybody has the same car, so the motive to race dirty emerges.
I'm starting to lose hope with the nationals. I put in a few hours practicing and watching the experts lines. I felt pretty good, and with the improvement to DR C, I had hoped for some good racing. I was honestly shattered by the poor sportsmanship and car control I saw in the first and second NA races. So much so that by the end of my second race, I lost my head and slammed back when someone tried running me out from the OUTSIDE of the last corner. I'm starting to think it's not worth the investment of time, energy and spirit. This has really crushed my enjoyment of this.

The last Nation race was a totally surprise!
I prefer GT cars, and Nation have a planning of freackly cars like Subaru GRX and toyota'scity car ...

I didn't prepare the race, but I know quite well the circuit, and before the race I train myself for half an hour (or for 1 hour, when I play with gt sport the time fly).
During the qualifying I caught a lap with free way, and I started 2nd! Very well!

I started well, earned some meters to the 3th, and passing the 1 turn without issues.
The first lap was good, during the second I pressed the leader and He(She?) lost the best trajectory on the hi speed curve in the last sector. I'm first!
"Okay", i said to myself "Keep calm, dont' waste the luck". I drove in first place for 6 laps, I didn't change my tires, and the follow drivers is faster than me. I don't want defend myself with hi risk strategy, I think that a secondo place is better that a race wasted for me and for the other drivers.
I resist only 1 lap, the new race leader go faster than 0,5 second for lap. I saw him only on the finish line...

The last 3/4 laps I'm slower than the 3th, my second of vantage fallen down... I drive too much careful! In the straight line I used an external trajectory to don't give away the slipstream. I was overtaken after the downhill, but I know that I can brake early to have a better speed after the curve. My strategies works and after 1 curve I'm already 2nd.

The last lap... same of the previous, but I change my defensive strategy. I take a line more internal, my rival understand my intention and he tries to overtake me with the external line, but I think that He/She didn't want risk all the race and he released the gas on the external kerbs...

I think was a very cool race, with hi level of Fair play! It's my first podium on FIA races

About the future: I hate the Willow springs circuit, I don't know how can I will do!

p.s.: the god of motorsport bless you if you red this long, boring and do not grammatical compliant text

This is how practice is going for me:
43465F6C-CDC0-4570-ADCB-C60DED868636.jpeg
572B7CC9-3651-4F5E-8F94-A947000D8D7A.jpeg

After many shenanigan in the previous time slot from punters to drunk Marshals and the occasion bottle jobs. For the last race we weren't gonna take any chance. got a good quali time, we tip toe around the beginning laps. Trouble did find us but we came out we narrowly escape that. once we got clean air, we focus on catching then next rival, from there we study him and wait the last minute to make our move and we got a decent result

Last edited:
Entered the last slot and Saturday and was the only Lancer in the lobby. Went off at the last corner on my first lap so that was both laps ruined and I was at the back of the grid.
Made good progress through the first laps but constant battling meant the front group got away and the one I got to the front of my pack, I proceeded to get a track limits warning.
So in the end not a great result but I guess that's what I get for messing up quali.
Great drive from @Lost Sheltie in that one to recover from the mid pack to end up on the podium

Race 1

Managed to sneak in a 3rd quali lap, which was good enough for P5 on the grid. @LVS_1986 was good to see you out there.

Lap 1, T1. Dive bombed and pushed off the road. Recovered.

Later in the race, pushed off by a Croatian, then punted off by a French driver. Limped home for P11. Decided to go again.

Race 2

An absolute disaster in quali, got dive bombed and given a 2s penalty. Started P19.

Race started well. Worked my way up the field. By lap 14, I was P7. But network seemed like it was acting up, cars moving all over the place, could have been my net, a few of us got disconnected on lap 15.

Not sure I'll go again. Definitely have the pace for a good finish. But just seems to be one of those days when things aren't working out.

EDIT: With the headphones on. Didn't realise there's a storm outside. Guess I'll miss out on this round. Don't want to mess up anyones race with my bad connection.
Hi, it was nice to see you too:) On saturdays I got bad luck... I got disconnected again, same as week before, I dont know why... When there is Manu on wendsday I got no problems...
Guess I have to wait to 23rd december when they switch FIAs places... Im loosing too many DR pts from this

Will have to do some practice runs. But do you reckon we're looking at a 1 stop? Or 2 stop with ×10 tyre wear at Big Willow?

It depends on the car, most cars will have to do a 2 stop, some even a 3 stop. Toyota and Alfa can do a one stop, but it’s risky and probably not the best strategy. Try something like 7m/7m/4h, or similar. :)

Last edited:
Back