2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Game frooze on me in my hard outlap. No idea if you continued racing... too bad. I was having a nice run.

23 hours we'll get another chance.

Cheers,

Seth

You were parked up on the exit of spoon, I did wonder what had happened to you!

Was a good race, the Lexus is definitely too sketchy on lap 8 on the softs, needs about a half second of fuel to make it to the end.

Thanks for setting it up, nice one!

Here's how my Wednesday went.

The GT-R is good at Le Mans. It's a high speed track with mostly high speed corners, so it suits the Nissan a lot. My DR went in the highest it's ever been, so I saw it as a brilliant opportunity to get my first ever 200 point result. My practice races were largely useless for learning how to race in a pack. Even the A+ drivers I raced against were terrible, and I think every race I ran saw a bunch of people quit. I'm not sure what the point in that is, surely you'll still get something from practicing what the car is like in a race with fuel and tyres?

Slot One: I'm #20 and it's the highest scoring lobby I've ever been in, the top 2 positions are giving 200+ points. Cool. I match up with a French guy in a Citroen in qualifying who bumps me along the whole way, I start 5th. Things are fine until Indianapolis on the first lap where I get tagged by a Corvette and knocked off. The rest of the race is largely a shambles, with this being the most outrageous sequence of events:

Was this a deserved punt on my part? I was frustrated that the race I had such expectations for had gone so badly, then I was following this clown. Watching back it looks like he's trying to make sure people bump draft him but he's doing a really bad job of it, moving across really late. When it happened again coming out of the second chicane I decided then and there that he was going off. It's not something I've ever really done before but since we had a long run to the next corner I didn't feel like it was reactionary. What are your thoughts? Was it warranted?

Rest of the race was pretty tame, ended up in an okay battle for 10th with two cars I knew I shouldn't have been anywhere near. One of them said my livery was nice, so that was cool.

Slot Two: Went out in qualifying trying to chase a Corvette for slipstream, ended up losing it at the first chicane just as I was getting close. He got poll, I started 19th. I ended up ahead of him by the time we got to the straight for the first time. Finished 8th. Boring race.

Slot Three: Practiced qualifying before this one. Put in two straight 3:57.9s on my own. Went into the race, did a 3:57.9. Started 3rd. This was the race where the track limit penalties started popping up. The worst part was that it happened on three different places - the usual part of Dunlop, the inside of Tertre Rouge, the outside of Tertre Rouge, disaster. Still ended up in a 3-way fight for 3rd which turned into 7th after the last chicanes.

Was pretty deflated, sick and smelly after that race but decided I definitely could do better, so...

Slot Four: Went out in warm-up and immediately regretted it. Went out in qualifying and got a nice tow from an Aston who had a penalty on the straight, but went too deep at the hairpin and he caught back up. He helped me as much as he could on the rest of the lap but he ended up starting near the back, while I made it to 4th with a 58.0. Of course it's top 3 who can escape the rolling start at Le Mans so I was at a massive disadvantage with @joetoml1n in 3rd in the AMG behind a Mustang and a Corvette.

The Mustang and the Merc both got penalties going into the first chicane and when they served them coming out of Arnage I got ahead of the Mercedes. We spent the next few laps bump drafting until we caught up to the Mustang. I bump drafted the Mustang until we were about 2 seconds behind the leader, but then we both got penalties at the Dunlop chicane and it settled as a battle for 2nd.

As I was following the Mustang I realised two things - I had no confidence in the GT-R coming out of Arnage, and I had much more confidence than either of the two cars through the Porsche curves. I was half-throttle at a point where the Mustang was tapping the brakes. If I was going to get a result I needed a lead coming out of Arnage. Here' s the final lap:

Every part of the straight the Mercedes was going off-line but I knew there was no point passing, so I just kept bumping and waiting for the right moment. On the straight up to Indianapolis I went for the move and got in front. The Mustang followed me and I saw them running wide in my mirror, and I knew 2nd was mine if I made it to the line. I did. I felt physically sick afterwards but it was so, so worth it after such a frustrating day. Some of the best racing I've ever had in the final slot at the highest level I've ever raced at (my DR is now 44k something, ridiculous) and my best ever result. What a time.

(Ed - and my apologies to @GR33N - by the time I was in this last slot I was too focused for chat)

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I need a quick ruling here.

I got punted on the first lap of a practice race Seth set up and the guy accused me of weaving and blocking and that I deserved it (along with a few other choice comments I wont place here. (But i did on twitter) The first race was fun, this one... not so much.

Video is from his perspective. He's clearly faster than me, I'm on RH because I'm starting 11th. This is the Opening Lap. I take it a bit easy through the S curves (because cold tires) and follow my racing line. He taps me once as we're heading to the end of sector 1. I noticed him behind me, held my line, and I was looking for spot to let him squeeze by. I get to the hairpin and I get punted.

So my questions to the class are: Did I do anything wrong here? Did I block and weave as he's accused me of? Because If i did, I want to know what because I don't think I did anything that could be considered even remotely dirty.

Of note later in the race when the leaders caught me, I let them by pretty quick. Kept up with them for 2-3 laps tho I was on fresh RS and they were at the end of their RM stints.

I got punted on the first lap of a practice race Seth set up and the guy accused me of weaving and blocking and that I deserved it (along with a few other choice comments I wont place here. (But i did on twitter) The first race was fun, this one... not so much.

Video is from his perspective. He's clearly faster than me, I'm on RH because I'm starting 11th. This is the Opening Lap. I take it a bit easy through the S curves (because cold tires) and follow my racing line. He taps me once as we're heading to the end of sector 1. I noticed him behind me, held my line, and I was looking for spot to let him squeeze by. I get to the hairpin and I get punted.

So my questions to the class are: Did I do anything wrong here? Did I block and weave as he's accused me of? Because If i did, I want to know what because I don't think I did anything that could be considered even remotely dirty.

Of note later in the race when the leaders caught me, I let them by pretty quick. Kept up with them for 2-3 laps tho I was on fresh RS and they were at the end of their RM stints.

I had to save the replay to see what you were talking about at the end. I noted the difference in tyres. You did nothing wrong. You were struggling and going wide and he was impatient. There's not really anywhere to pass in the first half of the lap once turn 1-2 is out of the way. In the Vantage he'd easily have you into Spoon, 130R, Casio Triangle or Turn 1. All he had to do was wait. He clean punted you from not recognising the situation clearly.
I beat him during my last pit stop and pulled away from him by some 15 seconds or so in the end. He wasn't that quick.

I had to save the replay to see what you were talking about at the end. I noted the difference in tyres. You did nothing wrong. You were struggling and going wide and he was impatient. There's not really anywhere to pass in the first half of the lap once turn 1-2 is out of the way. In the Vantage he'd easily have you into Spoon, 130R, Casio Triangle or Turn 1. All he had to do was wait. He clean punted you from not recognising the situation clearly.
I beat him during my last pit stop and pulled away from him by some 15 seconds or so in the end. He wasn't that quick.

Thanks, I just needed to double check... especially in a race with other forum members that Seth went to a lot of trouble to set up. Of note, those hard tires are slick as hell when cold. Might make me rethink tire order in the race.

I know I'm not the fastest, I'm just trying to learn what I can.

If you're right at the back it's worth getting them out of the way. You were just unlucky. In the real thing you'll have others at the back on them too. I quite liked the M/H/S order I did.

Well was nice racing with you, even if I let the situation get to me and miss quite a lot of braking points during my medium stint and push WAY too hard.

I'd have been less upset with him if his comments after the fact were more apology, less flaming wanker.

The esses to bridge is pretty much a no passing zone like Bathurst’s Mountain section. You could have tried to let him pass at Reverse Bank when you were pushed wide, but I don’t see any other places where you could have let him through without slowing down drastically. That punt was uncalled for and probably would have been a slam dunk penalty.

You weren't on line most of the time and he had a few chances to try and pass, but he just punted you. Had he edged you out there it would have been dirty, but could understand his frustration. Basically he's an idiot for starting on softs, I don't think I'll be on softs to start even if I make pole.
The esses to bridge is pretty much a no passing zone like Bathurst’s Mountain section. You could have tried to let him pass at Reverse Bank when you were pushed wide, but I don’t see any other places where you could have let him through without slowing down drastically. That punt was uncalled for and probably would have been a slam dunk penalty.

my issue was that this was supposed to be practice. (Not a game.... I’m talkin bout practice!)

This is 11th place of the opening lap in a practice race. if he wants to be aggressive AF in a full on points race, so be it. But this was practice. Totally uncalled for.

And I was planning on going wide at the hairpin and letting him go under me as it was.

There’s a very good chance today’s Nations will be a farce due to a lingering PD issue.

It seems likely that if you qualify last you will start half a lap behind 19th. I do not think they have ever fixed the rolling start glitch.

I look forward to a top split streamer qualifying last and rage quitting before the start.

My advice; Do not try last to first

There’s a very good chance today’s Nations will be a farce due to a lingering PD issue.

It seems likely that if you qualify last you will start half a lap behind 19th. I do not think they have ever fixed the rolling start glitch.

I look forward to a top split streamer qualifying last and rage quitting before the start.

Forgot about that glitch. Guess most lobbies will be 19 cars.

That kind of sounds funny in a sad way. But with my known erratic qualifying problems there is a good chance I get that spot.

Definitely going to try to ensure I have a solid banker type lap to avoid that.

The number 20 will start at Degner 2 under the bridge. It will be several laps before seeing anyone even.
Surely this would be such an easy fix... wouldn't it just be a matter of them reducing the gap between cars in the rolling start, so number 20 will be placed after the bridge? It's literally an option when setting up a custom race to make rolling starts closer together.

Surely this would be such an easy fix... wouldn't it just be a matter of them reducing the gap between cars in the rolling start, so number 20 will be placed after the bridge? It's literally an option when setting up a custom race to make rolling starts closer together.
But that would be easy and make sense. That's why it cant be done. If there are no unusual glitches is it really a video game?

Streaming for the first time ever this evening! Took all afternoon to set up...

Edit: Terrible first race. Different stream for the second slot.

Edit 2: Somehow managed to sneak into the top split. Had pace for around 6th or 7th, but qualifying went badly and I started from 19th. Had an okay race to finish 10th - again, could've had a few spots higher. Going again for a third time...

Last edited:
I got disco'd from slot 1. :banghead: Now I have to wait until18:00. Hoping to do well today, I had a win at this round last year. Was a bit strange with only 3 players in the race, everyone else got disco'd before the track loaded. :gtpflag:Good luck chaps.
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200516180748.jpg
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200516180825.jpg

It's a clear case of him having no racecraft when he just wanted to overtake you at any spot on the track and not waiting until he had the clear advantage, if he had juts stayed behind you and lined it up he would have got you into the hairpin. Hes a bad driver you done nothing wrong.

Here's how my Wednesday went.

The GT-R is good at Le Mans. It's a high speed track with mostly high speed corners, so it suits the Nissan a lot. My DR went in the highest it's ever been, so I saw it as a brilliant opportunity to get my first ever 200 point result. My practice races were largely useless for learning how to race in a pack. Even the A+ drivers I raced against were terrible, and I think every race I ran saw a bunch of people quit. I'm not sure what the point in that is, surely you'll still get something from practicing what the car is like in a race with fuel and tyres?

Slot One: I'm #20 and it's the highest scoring lobby I've ever been in, the top 2 positions are giving 200+ points. Cool. I match up with a French guy in a Citroen in qualifying who bumps me along the whole way, I start 5th. Things are fine until Indianapolis on the first lap where I get tagged by a Corvette and knocked off. The rest of the race is largely a shambles, with this being the most outrageous sequence of events:

Was this a deserved punt on my part? I was frustrated that the race I had such expectations for had gone so badly, then I was following this clown. Watching back it looks like he's trying to make sure people bump draft him but he's doing a really bad job of it, moving across really late. When it happened again coming out of the second chicane I decided then and there that he was going off. It's not something I've ever really done before but since we had a long run to the next corner I didn't feel like it was reactionary. What are your thoughts? Was it warranted?

Rest of the race was pretty tame, ended up in an okay battle for 10th with two cars I knew I shouldn't have been anywhere near. One of them said my livery was nice, so that was cool.

Slot Two: Went out in qualifying trying to chase a Corvette for slipstream, ended up losing it at the first chicane just as I was getting close. He got poll, I started 19th. I ended up ahead of him by the time we got to the straight for the first time. Finished 8th. Boring race.

Slot Three: Practiced qualifying before this one. Put in two straight 3:57.9s on my own. Went into the race, did a 3:57.9. Started 3rd. This was the race where the track limit penalties started popping up. The worst part was that it happened on three different places - the usual part of Dunlop, the inside of Tertre Rouge, the outside of Tertre Rouge, disaster. Still ended up in a 3-way fight for 3rd which turned into 7th after the last chicanes.

Was pretty deflated, sick and smelly after that race but decided I definitely could do better, so...

Slot Four: Went out in warm-up and immediately regretted it. Went out in qualifying and got a nice tow from an Aston who had a penalty on the straight, but went too deep at the hairpin and he caught back up. He helped me as much as he could on the rest of the lap but he ended up starting near the back, while I made it to 4th with a 58.0. Of course it's top 3 who can escape the rolling start at Le Mans so I was at a massive disadvantage with @joetoml1n in 3rd in the AMG behind a Mustang and a Corvette.

The Mustang and the Merc both got penalties going into the first chicane and when they served them coming out of Arnage I got ahead of the Mercedes. We spent the next few laps bump drafting until we caught up to the Mustang. I bump drafted the Mustang until we were about 2 seconds behind the leader, but then we both got penalties at the Dunlop chicane and it settled as a battle for 2nd.

As I was following the Mustang I realised two things - I had no confidence in the GT-R coming out of Arnage, and I had much more confidence than either of the two cars through the Porsche curves. I was half-throttle at a point where the Mustang was tapping the brakes. If I was going to get a result I needed a lead coming out of Arnage. Here' s the final lap:

Every part of the straight the Mercedes was going off-line but I knew there was no point passing, so I just kept bumping and waiting for the right moment. On the straight up to Indianapolis I went for the move and got in front. The Mustang followed me and I saw them running wide in my mirror, and I knew 2nd was mine if I made it to the line. I did. I felt physically sick afterwards but it was so, so worth it after such a frustrating day. Some of the best racing I've ever had in the final slot at the highest level I've ever raced at (my DR is now 44k something, ridiculous) and my best ever result. What a time.

(Ed - and my apologies to @GR33N - by the time I was in this last slot I was too focused for chat)

No worries! I was happy for you and was just trying to give you extra motivation with my "go go!" as I noticed you qualified well in the previous slot but ended up frustrated. Congrats again!

Funny though, I was pretty amazed by your qualy time and went to practice it in a lobby before my last race where I did a 57.5 without slipstream, had i done that before I could have joined the party along with @joetoml1n. Maybe next time!

Edit: oh and that BMW italian guy, he did the same to everyone in every slot, so I punted him after two laps as well, totally deserved! ;)

Last edited:
Annnnnd disco'd...
I thought the disco was coming. It took over 2 minutes for me to be matched.

In the end a disco would have been better. Was in a lobby with @ClanFever, only 17 starters. An idiot in a Beetle ruined my qualifying by coming back onto the racing line after binning it. Your lap is ruined mate, just exit. Q13 so started in the middle of Casio. Binned it turn 1 (Cold mediums feel waaay different than they did in practice lobbies). Fought my way back up to a couple and then the same idiot from qualifying had binned at the exit to Spoon. I caught him up the inside just before 130R and held the inside through the corner. He failed to back out and ran wide. Cue massive punt attempt at Casio and, when that missed. he speared back across and t-boned me at the exit. Race effectively over. I saw it out and eventually made my way back to 13th, but felt I easily had the pace for a top ten. Did an 8m1h7s strat.

Will probably try and go again but the 3 slot times are tricky here.

G'day taking out my Aussie for the first time this season and hoping for a decent race, well it's all Aussies so there's a chance at least. Looks like D17 and 19 players as expected. So do I qualify or just start last? Since I'm going 1H/8M/7S and going to take fuel 1st lap as I can do the race without, but better taking it early than at the last stop IMO......🤬🤬🤬 did it again should have stuck in pits. Had a terrible Q due to bad luck with traffic so Q14 and the didn't change tyres so whole race gone to pot unless most pit on lap 1 and I don't lose too much. Why can't it just let you select starting tyres and give you the right ones for quali? So bad race, too many mistakes and yet I would have had a decent finish if I hadn't been punted from 6th at degner 1 even though I was letting the idiot pass he still pushed me off. 1 guy got a min pen so ended up 8th. Got 52 points so don't know if I should try again, a lower split could have less points for winning. No really want to test my strategy, so going to go again but won't quali as didn't see anyone pit 1st lap the back shouldn't slow me down and far less likely to get into problems with others.

Got into a lobby with @05XR8 and @D_Dragline as well as a couple other familiar faces. Not a good driver at Suzuka on my beat day so just sort of hoping for a miracle or some luck.

Qualified p13 after running wide at 130r both laps. Pretty much a heads up of me from there on.

I start on hards because "why not." P11 binned it into the pit wall at the start and I'm already up 1. People running wide early and I'm p11 nearing the end of the lap but have an iffy spoon. Pit in as p12 to get mediums. Come out and then promptly run wide at turn 1 losing myself a 3 second gap to the car behind. They pass when I clip the exit at Degner 2.

Run semi erratic laps from there on out. Juat struggling with a rhythm. Pit in for softs end of lap 9. Immediately catch a couple cars ahead running mediums. A beetle who pushed me wide while passing on the exit of spoon is in front of me. I ease off to not pass entering the Degners but have a good run to the hairpin. Take a wide entry for the cut back. They turn in on me after the exit to push me off. And karma bites their butt as they immediately run wide at spoon. From there it is just trying to salvage a decent run. I drop back to p13 and almost p15, but the driver who is all over my rear doesnt do any crazy moves on the way to the line and keeps it clean. He was the one who binned it into the pit entry on start, so that would show how slow I got.

The worst points of the season, but as I don't get along with Suzuka I wasnt too surprised. Saw good races from @05XR8 and @D_Dragline so congratulations to those guys.
It's been fun. Time to call it a night

Bump that. I'll start 20th! I mean, Whoever starts 20th will still be able to make up at least one spot by T1. That's how long it's going to take someone that's been punted, to get back up to speed. ;)
Made up two spots by T1. Dato had spun at the start and unfortunately, had spun out after the hairpin, later in the race.

That's fine. Easy CRB. :)
;)
IMG_20210515_192446.jpg

One of the Beetles below, was conserving fuel. I'm on fresh RS and fuel to burn. I'm not expecting anyone to move over, but if you're taking the defensive inside line heading toward the 130R, don't then move to the right, when I'm already committed.
The Beetle leaves the door open for a Jag to go up both our inside. Seriously. Just slowed us all and almost had a car behind catch us up.

Last two laps, the Jag went wide. I stayed patient before hand. Watching the Beetle to see where it was weak. Once I moved up position, attacked the Beetle. It had to give up through the PZ and the run to 130R. From there, I pushed even harder to build a gap, as a car had entered the pits for a last lap tyre change.
I came out just ahead of it and had to keep pushing while its tyres were cold.

Qualified on RH. 1.2 seconds slower than 19th place. Ran 4RH( topped up fuel from 9.9laps to 12.8laps)/6RM/6RS.
IMG_20210515_192441.jpg

I was happy to just chill back there, but opportunities kept popping up. Was going to do 1RH, but didn't know what tyres others started on. Once I saw the early stoppers, decided to keep going in clean air. No dramas in the race or using the DS4. No stress. :)

Edit: @Redneckchef Dato races clean. The exchange me and him had during lap one, is expected. Hold your line, give room, no silly moves and the race just started. Respect.

Hey, I almost binned it at the start.:scared: Touched grass and almost launched myself into pit entry.

Last edited:
Second slot running the WRX and friendly faces @05XR8 and @Redneckchef in the lobby.

Qualifying went much better. Had clear air for both laps and qualified 5th 0.6 off pole. Decided to run mediums first again and this time was more conservative into T1. Outsmarted myself a bit though as I set fuel mix to 6 during the countdown and then forgot to change it back until I realized down the back straight. Had lost 3 spots to P8.

Put my head down and held a steady gap to p7. Passed a Beetle on the way to Degner 1 after he had binned it. Then caught a Jag and watched him overcook Degner 1 on the next lap. Up to P6. Several in front of me had started on softs and they started to pit lap 5. By lap 8 I was up into p3. Put on hards at the end of lap 8 and then softs one lap later. Came out in p11 I think with no real idea of how many in front still had to pit. Gradually worked my way up to p9 as a couple pitted. Pulling 2:00.xxx laps consistently.

Start of last lap, 3 were in the pits for hards and I jumped to p6 with p7 coming out about 1s behind me.

Last lap was a struggle on heavily worn tyres and once the Jag behind’s hards warmed up he started to eat into the lead. By 130R he was right on my bumper, but I got a good run out and he did the right thing into Casio. Just held him off for p6 and 115 pts.

@05XR8 drove an awesome race from the back and it appears that @Redneckchef had a run in with the same Beetle from my first slot. My commiserations to you.

All in all a really good, clean race for me.

Oh, and p20 doesn’t start half a lap behind. I think they have reduced the rolling gap.

Made up two spots by T1. Dato had spun at the start and unfortunately, had spun out after the hairpin, later in the race.

;)
View attachment 1010979

One of the Beetles below, was conserving fuel. I'm on fresh RS and fuel to burn. I'm not expecting anyone to move over, but if you're taking the defensive inside line heading toward the 130R, don't then move to the right, when I'm already committed.
The Beetle leaves the door open for a Jag to go up both our inside. Seriously. Just slowed us all and almost had a car behind catch us up.

Last two laps, the Jag went wide. I stayed patient before hand. Watching the Beetle to see where it was weak. Once I moved up position, attacked the Beetle. It had to give up through the PZ and the run to 130R. From there, I pushed even harder to build a gap, as a car had entered the pits for a last lap tyre change.
I came out just ahead of it and had to keep pushing while its tyres were cold.

Qualified on RH. 1.2 seconds slower than 19th place. Ran 4RH( topped up fuel from 9.9laps to 12.8laps)/6RM/6RS.
View attachment 1010980

I was happy to just chill back there, but opportunities kept popping up. Was going to do 1RH, but didn't know what tyres others started on. Once I saw the early stoppers, decided to keep going in clean air. No dramas in the race or using the DS4. No stress. :)

Edit: @Redneckchef Dato races clean. The exchange me and him had during lap one, is expected. Hold your line, give room, no silly moves and the race just started. Respect.

Hey, I almost binned it at the start.:scared: Touched grass and almost launched myself into pit entry.
I've never had problems or any issues with dato before, but never know for sure heading into the last few corners of a race. Especially when they had a massive run into 130r. I was glad they were safe, but I always figure it pays to be ready. The red mist seems to get to everyone at some time. I didn't really have any issues in the race that weren't really of my own making as even the 2 contact problems came after I screwed something up to let someone catch me.

And hats off to you. Even trying to coast smoothly I couldn't latch onto your slipstream.

Edit: He was one of the ones I considered a friendly familiar face.

Last edited:
Back