2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
The Gr2 race at Fuji was just a grind. It wasn't really 'fun' so much, with the fuel saving format.

Some of it's just sour grapes on my end, that I'm not better at it and not better in those cars at that track especially. But combined with people's tendencies to drive outside of the limits of most racing IRL acceptable defensive moves, or the likelihood of dive-bombs, it was particularly not enjoyable. I was able to climb the ladder a bit, but lost positions after because you just know you'll get dive-bombed. And I got literally moved aside on the entry to Turn 3 (Coca-Cola) as a guy simply ran me wide before the turn in... and after I recovered without spinning, losing a few hundred yards to him and the guy we were racing with, he went on to finish 3 or 4 spots ahead of me, as I had to chance to recover that much ground in just a few remaining laps (esp with the fuel situation... I finished with 0%). So it wasn't that he was faster with better fuel saving, it was that those tactics pay off too much in GTS, so the idea of running a 'smart' race isn't really relevant so much as it is intended to be.

2nd slot in the Americas in a mid B group. Had door 20 but managed a Q4. Then noticed Q 1 through 5 had doors 15 to 20 Seemed sort of strange. Most everyone behind dive bombed each corner in the first 2 laps and I was in 12th after 2 laps but managed a 3rd place finish. Used FM3 the first 10 laps with lots of short shifting and went flat out the final laps. Got bump drafted on L13 and it made me jump a bit since I wasn't expecting it.

I don't mind the fuel saving races except for the manual part. Hurts my hands after a while because I don't find the T-GT paddles comfortable but I guess that's part of the aging process. The stiff brake pedal makes my left knee ache too. You know you're getting old when video games start to wear on your body.

The Gr2 race at Fuji was just a grind. It wasn't really 'fun' so much, with the fuel saving format.

Some of it's just sour grapes on my end, that I'm not better at it and not better in those cars at that track especially. But combined with people's tendencies to drive outside of the limits of most racing IRL acceptable defensive moves, or the likelihood of dive-bombs, it was particularly not enjoyable. I was able to climb the ladder a bit, but lost positions after because you just know you'll get dive-bombed. And I got literally moved aside on the entry to Turn 3 (Coca-Cola) as a guy simply ran me wide before the turn in... and after I recovered without spinning, losing a few hundred yards to him and the guy we were racing with, he went on to finish 3 or 4 spots ahead of me, as I had to chance to recover that much ground in just a few remaining laps (esp with the fuel situation... I finished with 0%). So it wasn't that he was faster with better fuel saving, it was that those tactics pay off too much in GTS, so the idea of running a 'smart' race isn't really relevant so much as it is intended to be.

Very well said. My exact feelings

Now, can someone explain to me what pit windows are???

Just a required pit stop. In real racing, it usually is done where there is a lap window or time period in which you must stop. Even if that part was scraped and you just had to stop between the end of lap 1 and start of the final lap is fine enough for me.

It’d arguably create more strategy. As you could do whatever you’d like. It keeps a sprint format in the way you drive, but allows you to save fuel and tires to run until the very limit of the window, or you could stop early to get it out of the way and risk the fuel/tire wear at the end. Or split them and risk/reward of that.

But a mandatory stop is all a pit window is.

Last edited:
Fuji Race - Q17 - P11. I went with the no-stop strategy, but took the rarely used approach of fuel saving using auto transmission. I used the '08 Lexus because I could get 1 more lap out of it than the other Gr2 cars (before fuel mapping) , and in my hands the pace of the car wasn't too much different from the other choices. I used Fuel Map 1 on the main straight and Fuel Map 4 for the rest of the track for laps 2 through 12. I used FM 1 for the entire 1st lap, and had enough fuel to use FM 1 on the entire last 2 laps as well.

Qualifying could have been much better. Someone ahead of me spun off track and then re-joined just in front of me on my flying lap so I lost a lot of time and qualified 17th. In the race, someone knocked me off track on lap 2 so that put me further behind and I needed a few laps to really get my rhythm down. The last 7 laps were faster than my 1st 7, and I got my fastest lap on lap 14!

Overall, I think it was a good strategy, and I could have been close to Top 5 with better qualifying and without the bump on lap 2. It was fun to try something different both with regard to the car choice and the AT fuel mapping strategy.

View attachment 1018028

well I’ve tried playing fuel mapping and I’ve tried just short shifting. The short shifting works better IMO.

That said, you have double my points in Virginia. You’re in the top 10, congrats!

Very well said. My exact feelings

A pit window is also the term for the range of laps in which it's possible to make a pitstop and make your strategy work.

So if you have a 20 lap race and you can't make fuel/tyres last more than 12 laps no matter what you do, your pit window will be lap 8 to lap 12, because pitting on lap 8 you'll have 12 laps to the end and you can't go further than 12 laps from the start so you can't pit later than lap 12. So that's a 4 lap pit window which creates room for strategy.

Going into Spa this weekend and I have come to the conclusion that it is my most despised track in the game. For whatever reason I am absolutely unable to find a rhythm on this track and it drives me bananas. There are some spots where I simply cannot get the Vantage to turn.

I inevitably lose a chunk of time at Campus/Stavelot, La Source or the Bus Stop on each lap, every time for a different reason. In the laps I nail all of those I get a limits penalty through Radillion or mess up Gauche.

I actually find the track is bad for my mental health, as I become irrationally angry at my inability to navigate sectors with any consistency.

My best FP lap is a 29.3 which feels ok for low A DR, but I have zero confidence in reproducing that in race when required.

To those who love Spa I simply ask Why? It’s a torturous hell hole that I’d like to burn to the ground.

Going into Spa this weekend and I have come to the conclusion that it is my most despised track in the game. For whatever reason I am absolutely unable to find a rhythm on this track and it drives me bananas. There are some spots where I simply cannot get the Vantage to turn.

I inevitably lose a chunk of time at Campus/Stavelot, La Source or the Bus Stop on each lap, every time for a different reason. In the laps I nail all of those I get a limits penalty through Radillion or mess up Gauche.

I actually find the track is bad for my mental health, as I become irrationally angry at my inability to navigate sectors with any consistency.

My best FP lap is a 29.3 which feels ok for low A DR, but I have zero confidence in reproducing that in race when required.

To those who love Spa I simply ask Why? It’s a torturous hell hole that I’d like to burn to the ground.

I like the fact FF cars for once this season aren't OP as hell due to the mid range/acceleration they have. Plus Spa imo has a bit of everything and multiple opportunities to get clean solid pass done or side by side action.

My only real knock is the rolling start format on Spa, it's ridiculous.

Edit: after checking schedule it's been heavily catered towards FF cars, IMO. Maggiore, Sardegna & Laguna are all short tracks tbh, Tokyo was too heavy on fuel for any of the power FR cars. Spa is only Gr4 race I even saw worth doing.

Last edited:
There barely been FFs in my season of races. I don't think I'd suddenly see them coming out tonight. Should be interesting if the British Bulldogs dominate with McLaren and Porsche.

I was surprised with the Atenza at Laguna Seca. Might jump in a lobby to see how it fairs after 10 laps.

For me, I think it has the perfect risk/reward balance on almost every corner, you can make loads of time by being aggressive but get it slightly wrong and you can have a REALLY bad time. I personally could time trial Spa for hours :D

I'm surprised at the amount of people who struggled with fuel saving at Fuji. Shifting at 50% and coasting into turn 1 I had 9/10% left by the final lap, even running on my own.
I didn't even have to coast into T1 - I just used higher gears in some of the slower sections between corners in addition to short shifting (and occasionally leaning out the fuel mixture once I hit the redline in the slipstream on the front straight). I went from 5th to 2nd just driving by people who were coasting for several hundred meters before T1.

Just one run. Drove the wrong way to the final corner and then, started my test.

E4MEX37UYAAfHxK

Messed up the final chicane en dof Lap 4.
Lap 6 was the switchover point and the car was rotating perfectly with less fuel and a bit of wear on the front. Fastest speeds down Blanchimont were Laps 8 and 9: 226kmh and 227kmh at T18.
Fastest speeds at Raidillon were 215kmh on Lap 7 and 212kmh on Lap 8.
Got greedy and giddy with how well the car handled in the last few laps. Pushed my lack of talent for a penalty at exit of T11. Botched the final corner on Lap 10.

Not sure how it'll go in traffic and dirty air. First laps will be a struggle with fuel load, but will handle better towards the end of the race. Should be the same for everyone else.

I'm surprised at the amount of people who struggled with fuel saving at Fuji. Shifting at 50% and coasting into turn 1 I had 9/10% left by the final lap, even running on my own.
When I did that, I got run over by people going much faster and who had enough to finish the race ahead of me. There's a lot more to it than that. I like a lot of throttle mid-turn, so my speed-carry through the corner is different (and sure, sometimes less effective, no doubt). In order to keep up, I had to keep the fuel map at 2 or 3 selectively, and 6 once in the draft and top speed on the main straight.

I didn't even have to coast into T1 - I just used higher gears in some of the slower sections between corners in addition to short shifting (and occasionally leaning out the fuel mixture once I hit the redline in the slipstream on the front straight). I went from 5th to 2nd just driving by people who were coasting for several hundred meters before T1.

Right... that was another thing. Getting dive-bombed in T1 was a sure thing, if you coasted amongst a pack.

Last edited:
For me, I think it has the perfect risk/reward balance on almost every corner, you can make loads of time by being aggressive but get it slightly wrong and you can have a REALLY bad time. I personally could time trial Spa for hours :D

same. I have a love/hate relationship with Spa. I love the circuit, I hate how bad I’m at it LOL (2:33 in a Porsche)

I love the elevation changes, I love sectors 1 & 3, just flat out and wide open. Sector 2? Each corner sets up the next corner, you screw one up and before you know it you’re in a bad way. This circuit isn’t boring, it’s one of the most challenging places we can race at. The gap between those who can navigate the circuit (me) and those that excel at it is huge.

I'm with you on this one. I think Spa can be a nice track, but it is like Suzuka and Lago Maggiore where something about it just refuses to gel in my brain. Yet I am one that finds Autopolis seems perfect for me. Results might not show that, but it feels easy to drive. A lot of Spa seems to be just slightly off for what I am feeling I should do there. So for tonight's race unless I am absolutely punted off I'm not too worried. It's like the Suzuka round. I know I dont have pace so if I keep dropping spots it is what it is.

But still running it to try and take advantage of anything crazy that might happen. I've been gifted points before like that and gifted them away so I'm gonna give it a go anyhow.

It's fast, it's flowing, you can overtake, and it has pretty much every type of corner, uphill, downhill, and from slow and crawly to fast and ballsy, however, what it is is punishing. A mistake through La Source can cost you time for the next 30 seconds, go into Les Combes wrong and you lose time through Malmedy and on the run to Rivage. When you get Spa (nearly) right, you're always on the limit and you feel like you're there, but there's always the temptation to push it that bit harder, giving in to that temptation will usually end up seeing you wide through Pouhon, then scrambling through Les Fagnes on dirty tyres before eventually gathering it up on the run to Blanchimont - and hoping those tyres have cleaned up enough to hit your braking point for the Bus Stop

It's a wonderful race track where every single corner matters, and every corner is different presenting a different challenge. In my opinion the Nordschleife is the ultimate test of driving, but Spa isn't far behind and is better for racing, making it my favourite circuit

I’ve put a bit more time in this morning at Spa. If anything I’m getting worse. :banghead:

I think what I find so infuriating is that seemingly the same brake point, same line, same turn in on 2 consecutive laps has very different outcomes. Take Campus for example. I think I get that right about every 3rd lap, but I cannot work out what I’m doing differently on the other two laps. In replay everything looks the same and yet…

The other infuriating thing is that one small mistake gets amplified so much. If I get La Source a bit wrong I feel helpless for the entire run down Kemmel and that makes me mad and more likely to do something stupid.

Like @Redneckchef I will be going into tonight with very low expectations, but Spa will still make me irrationally angry.

I’ve put a bit more time in this morning at Spa. If anything I’m getting worse. :banghead:

I think what I find so infuriating is that seemingly the same brake point, same line, same turn in on 2 consecutive laps has very different outcomes. Take Campus for example. I think I get that right about every 3rd lap, but I cannot work out what I’m doing differently on the other two laps. In replay everything looks the same and yet…

The other infuriating thing is that one small mistake gets amplified so much. If I get La Source a bit wrong I feel helpless for the entire run down Kemmel and that makes me mad and more likely to do something stupid.

Like @Redneckchef I will be going into tonight with very low expectations, but Spa will still make me irrationally angry.

Depends on what you're driving, but you're probably going too fast and understeering off the line under braking. I find the brake markers for Campus and Stavelot are too late - I usually brake and gear down once about a car length ahead of the marker, and then gear down again at or just after the marker to hit the right entrance speed. Also brakes slightly to the rear to help the turn in.

Depends on what you're driving, but you're probably going too fast and understeering off the line under braking. I find the brake markers for Campus and Stavelot are too late - I usually brake and gear down once about a car length ahead of the marker, and then gear down again at or just after the marker to hit the right entrance speed. Also brakes slightly to the rear to help the turn in.
I’ve actually had a bit of a breakthrough this afternoon. In a couple of places, including Campus, I have been braking too hard and pushing too much weight over the front wheels. Lighter braking is resulting in much better rotation and a jump in consistency. I’m still not super fast, but I can reliably lap in the low 29s in FP now. I won’t be able to race before the 4th slot, but it will be interesting to see if this translates to the race.

E4PGOXiUUAE0f-n

E4PGSL_VoAEd8BY

First. I was lucky in qualy. Seems like some that left the pits early, had a bit of drama.

Second. The 86 pushed a bit at the start. It got an early penalty. The NSX just let it go. 86 got another penalty and allowed me and the NSX to break away by about 2-3 seconds. Then, the numb finger. It was my thumb this time. weird. Lap 5 or 6, the car feels good. Got on the curb for .5 and at Raidillon for an added .5. Allows the 86 to catch up. Passes me. I stay behind it, but he's not using the racing line. I flashed him to go ahead so the Vantage doesn't gain ground. Totally surprised the Vantage didn't catch as pass me.

Follow the 86 down the striaght and into Pouhon, he goes wide. I get the spot back. Press on for the last lap and have a 1.5 second gap to manage, but the 86 didn't appear strong for the whole race. Anyway, I go through Pouhon. Again, the 86 rides the curbs and there's my buffer to the finish. i'm done with FIA until next season. Guess PD can scratch that 60 points. Nice finish to the Gr.4 Championship.

One and done for my previously stated reasons. Door 5 with @RX8 Racer in my slot. Good to see him on track. Only had about 5 laps or so under my belt.

Qualified about as fast as I could, maybe a half second quicker at best. This ended up putting me at p14 for the start. Guy ahead bins it at the bus stop so get to p13 and close on Racer. Kept close for a lap or 2, then I got a track limits and he caught his groove. I just steadily dropped back from there. Couple of bumps and nudges, but mostly incidental. 1 guy lunged from massively back at la source and a couple people called him out for stuff after the race. But I was slow enough it didnt matter much. Crawled home p20 by a good margin. Just no pace, and then once the tires started to wear I had no answer.

Only real mistake was me trying to give the draft to someone down the Kemmel and get out of their way, only for them to move at the same time. They rear ended me and wrecked, but obviously still ran me down and beat me anyway.:lol::boggled:

Good luck all, you can have that track.

Last edited:
Well I got connected to second slot, got punted in qualifying and started 18th

No chance to make too much progress from there so looks like I am going again

Side note, P3 will have a 2-second advantage over P4 by Turn 1, they should really move the start to before the bus stop.

Last edited:
Just watched the replay. One of the two McLarens had to pit end of Lap 9! Holy smokes! It was running 17th. Dropped to 19th. An NSX that looked battle damaged was 20th. The other McLaren finished 8th with same fuel as the 86s.
NSX and M4 were red flashing, nearly out of fuel.

All the Atenzas and Caymans had too much fuel left over.

Last edited:
Back