2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Perhaps you know I like to mention “firsts” if I did something well…for the premier time.

I knew setting a good qualifying time for SPA is everything because you really need to be in that top 3 to have a good chance, right?

Slot 2: I found out the hard way that starting P6 is definitely NOT the way to go… I was exactamundo smack in the middle of the turn when the autostart pulled the trigger on me… I snailed my way through somehow and of course was overtaken by 2-3 cars before the end of Kemmel… As you know when in midpack… right… that… Started pretty clean though but got progressively worse with every round. Not a race I care to remember finishing 11th, which should have been better.

Slot 3: starting P5 AND remembering to use traction control in these situations (thanks Tidge!) helped me slightly better trough the corner when launched. And actually it looked like a pretty uneventful race with me in P4 just cruising to the finish line… but then **** hit the fan when the car decided to go all sideways on me at the start of Kemmel (like: THAT never happened there before!). Kept it pointing the right way somehow and got 1,5 second penalty for my troubles. Noice…
There is no saving your race after that kind of penalty and the drop that comes from such an epic fail… Oh… and did I mention I like doing firsts? Did you know you can finish a race in reverse? That’s right… to add insult to injury I got punted off before the finish line and was spun. With me facing the wrong way but only a few meters from the chequered flag I rammed my gears in reverse and stepped on it. Must have been a funny sight to those finishing normally. Still finished 14th though.

Slot 3: uneventful race. Finally starting “in the right spot” P8, with me just concentrating on getting the laps right. No shenanigans, no penalties, no overtake attempts, let them pass if need be and have the chips fall where they may. Turns out I drive best that way. Overtook 2 people (their failures) for a nice P-Steve… my initial goal. So I’m good and all is as it should be. Amen.

Last edited:
I drove for McLaren in the 2020 season, when we had the same race, and the 650S was pretty good at Spa.

I know fuel consumption was adjusted a while ago, I haven't tested it recently, maybe they ruined it now. But while it's almost impossible to fuel save with it (which I remember cost me a win against a Porsche last year at Red Bull Ring Short), its fuel consumption isn't that bad. Sure you weren't overrevving it? With the 650S Gr4 you must shift at 50% of the RPM bar for peak power, after that it just wastes fuel and power. If fuel saving is necessary, you would need to shift even earlier than that.
I was aware of that from @CurbHog advice some time ago, and was shifting it at 50% generally. I was surprised how much harder it was to get the pace out of it compared to the Porsche.

Oh, I have my ways. ;)
Dr Evil Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Anyone practising for Wednesday Nations? The Bettle needs to fuel save and I can'tdo much it... But rly don't wanna go meta with the Porsche
I'm going to use the AMG. For me, it is a little faster than the Beetle and it does great on fuel here without needing to do any fuel saving at all.

Anyone practising for Wednesday Nations? The Bettle needs to fuel save and I can'tdo much it... But rly don't wanna go meta with the Porsche
I'm flat out refusing to use either the Beetle or the Porsche, at the moment I'll be using the AMG but I keep hearing how deadly the Audi will be so might give that a little test in the morning to see what it's like on worn tyres. Will probably go for the AMG though, I'm sure it's also the quickest in a straight line which will come in handy

Hoping the final round of the manufacturers is kinder to me than Spa was. Managed Q4 but got shunted and punted all the way back to P10. Sad times. It was finally looking like I might get a decent points haul, then I ended up with 30 points. 😟

Anyone got a track guide or know of a decent one for Sardegna? I'm fairly terrible there, currently 4s behind the Top 10 times.

Just searching for Sardegna A will turn up a few guides. It was about 6 months ago.

Pretty sure it had the same tyres as well.
All I can find is a few Race B in Gr.4's. I've always found the braking and turning points in those quite different (often because it's the FF's used in Gr.4 too). Nevermind, I'll keep searching.

EDIT: Found a good one by @Mistah_MCA using the McLaren - I've instantly found two places where I'm haemorrhaging time!

Last edited:
Long story short, my only goal at Spa was to score more points than the other Nissan drivers. Got that done by barely making it into second split and getting a podium. In retrospect, I could've scored much better if I had just gotten good slipstream during qualifying. Then again, that happens to me maybe one or twice a year.

Sardegna will be all about maximum Manu points to keep Nissan within the Top 12. Big upside is possibly being in a virtual event. Big downside is that I may have to try hard in Season 2. Or hope an alien that skipped Season 1 can take over.

Long story short, my only goal at Spa was to score more points than the other Nissan drivers. Got that done by barely making it into second split and getting a podium. In retrospect, I could've scored much better if I had just gotten good slipstream during qualifying. Then again, that happens to me maybe one or twice a year.

Sardegna will be all about maximum Manu points to keep Nissan within the Top 12. Big upside is possibly being in a virtual event. Big downside is that I may have to try hard in Season 2. Or hope an alien that skipped Season 1 can take over.
How many laps are you getting out of the softs so far? I think 9 is my limit, though that might change once I'm running in a split that's my usual level.

How many laps are you getting out of the softs so far? I think 9 is my limit, though that might change once I'm running in a split that's my usual level.
8 or 9 if using softs first with the GT-R. Have not tried 10 if using mediums first.
Any recommendations for a tire strategy at Sardegna A this Saturday?
My gut feeling is that Sardegna A allows for a lot of divebombing. Have to take that into consideration if near the front and you want to use mediums first.

8 or 9 if using softs first with the GT-R. Have not tried 10 if using mediums first.

My gut feeling is that Sardegna A allows for a lot of divebombing. Have to take that into consideration if near the front and you want to use mediums first.
That was starting on mediums, which I think I'm going to do regardless of where I qualify. If I survive the first corner it should be possible to keep up on the straights with slipstream unless I end up facing a McLaren F1 or something.

Backing up what @Ashthebash has said, the AMG has generally been quicker and more economical for me in racing conditions than the Beetle so is my current pick for tomorrow. My fastest FP time in the former was set this evening with a 1:54.565.

Edit: Whoops, I got confused about which race. Mods can delete.

Last edited:
Why isn't the BMW any good when it was so strong at Nurb GP when it was a daily race a few weeks ago?
It's weird that the 911 is the meta. I was talking it up in the daily race thread a couple of weeks ago, but the consensus seemed to be the M6 was better and there was quite a lot of people dissing the Porsche. Now it's magically reversed.

I will be using the RSR because I'm comfortable with it at this track. No idea if it's meta or not and don't really care.

Last edited:
It's weird that the 911 is the meta. I was talking it up in the daily race thread a couple of weeks ago, but the consensus seemed to be the M6 was better and there was quite a lot of people dissing the Porsche. Now it's magically reversed.

I will be using the RSR because I'm comfortable with it at this track. No idea if it's meta or not and don't really care.
"Meta" is most often a figment of the imagination, and if you aren't in top split then the differences between the cars matters much less than what you feel comfortable driving.

Some races will see some cars be better or worse than others due to fuel and tyre management. That is, some cars can't save fuel without losing pace, or some cars are naturally a bit kinder on tyres. But if you disregard those factors, if you're faster in the RSR who gives a hoot if someone says the M6 is better on paper?

Better on paper won't help your race!

Back