2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
So can someone tell me why the Aston isn't up there on the TT board for this week's manu. I figured it be a similar circuit to RBR last week + 2 hairpins? :confused:

So can someone tell me why the Aston isn't up there on the TT board for this week's manu. I figured it be a similar circuit to RBR last week + 2 hairpins? :confused:
Unlike RBR, BMB Infield A has multiple medium-to-high speed kinks with little room for error. Two of them in particular (turns 4 and 8) decide your exit speed on to the back and home straights respectively. Some FR cars struggle with understeer taking those kinks at speed (Mistah_MCA in particular has been complaining about his Viper being a boat on this circuit).

So can someone tell me why the Aston isn't up there on the TT board for this week's manu. I figured it be a similar circuit to RBR last week + 2 hairpins?

With the first four turns of the lap being so quick, the downforce monsters gain a huge advantage through the first half of the lap. And that's basically it. The handling cars are generally quicker over a lap, but will struggle to pass power cars down the straight (and can't defend down the straight at all)

Last edited:
I do not know this track very well so it's probably just me but I'm finding I'm losing time through the infield sector. It doesn't seem to be as nicely geared as the Corvette. It has a tendency to spin its wheels out of the hairpins and I can't seem to tame its off throttle turn in on the 2 fast left handers.

I think (hope) it will be ok in-race, but it's just not quite matching the METAs so far.

Sector 2 really benefits the MR cars. Even the FR handling cars will be good here. Sure, there's a long acceleration at the end/start of the lap, but it's probably not enough to claw back the time our FR boats lose. Unlike RBR, which is a very "stop-start" circuit that benefits cars with good acceleration and top end, the technical portion of BMB A has a lot of corners back to back, and only 1 section (albeit a long one) for power cars to stretch their legs. I got a decent result last time we raced here, but was still quite a distance behind the car directly in front of me at the end.

Sector 2 really benefits the MR cars. Even the FR handling cars will be good here. Sure, there's a long acceleration at the end/start of the lap, but it's probably not enough to claw back the time our FR boats lose. Unlike RBR, which is a very "stop-start" circuit that benefits cars with good acceleration and top end, the technical portion of BMB A has a lot of corners back to back, and only 1 section (albeit a long one) for power cars to stretch their legs. I got a decent result last time we raced here, but was still quite a distance behind the car directly in front of me at the end.
I'm only a couple of tenths behind the top 10 ghosts until i arrive at the twisty section. A second behind by the time we're back onto the oval. Swing the boat round those hairpins!!

I'm only a couple of tenths behind the top 10 ghosts until i arrive at the twisty section. A second behind by the time we're back onto the oval. Swing the boat round those hairpins!!
I'm 0.8 off the top time, and that's only because I cut the final corner so close I was 100% certain I was going to slam into the inside wall. Since I obviously can't replicate that without actually clobbering the wall 90% of the time, I guess this will be one of the handful of times I'll need slipstream to improve my qualifying. I'll still probably end up going solo though, because I hate playing the slipstream game in qualifying.

I’ve done a couple of lobbies and I’m seriously considering skipping this round in the Vantage. It is so vulnerable through sector 2 that I have been bumped off twice by handling cars who just throw it up the inside. Then, once you lose slip, it’s all over.

It doesn’t help that I simply cannot work out how I can possibly find the time to go under 1:07. Very frustrating practice so far.

I'm 0.8 off the top time, and that's only because I cut the final corner so close I was 100% certain I was going to slam into the inside wall. Since I obviously can't replicate that without actually clobbering the wall 90% of the time, I guess this will be one of the handful of times I'll need slipstream to improve my qualifying. I'll still probably end up going solo though, because I hate playing the slipstream game in qualifying.
Likewise, a scarily close shave with that corner cut a lot of time off. I find that by far the most difficult corner to get right. I can get a 1:06.6 in free practice, but can't get under 1:07.4 in a lobby with average lap around 1:07.7 which seems about average for race pace at my level. Probably as i'm not risking death flying that close to the inside of that corner :lol:

I know some people love a long endurance race, but i feel this combo is too long. I'm bored by lap 20! :lol:

Last edited:
I'm feeling quietly confident. (So no doubt that'll be snuffed out come race time.)
I threw the car around (literally) for a few laps yesterday and she feels good. (My weakness is usually turn 1 but that seems o.k.) I am the closest I've been to @crusselz on a standard track. My issue will be the end of the race. Will the marginal tyre wear impact the back of the car in turn 2 where I throw in with a lift. :nervous:

@MCL1974 I doubt he's returning soon. Though mentioning him got me a like. :sly:

Last edited:
I'm feeling quietly confident. (So no doubt that'll be snuffed out come race time.)
I threw the car around (literally) for a few laps yesterday and she feels good. (My weakness is usually turn 1 but that seems o.k.) I am the closest I've been to @crusselz on a standard track. My issue will be the end of the race. Will the marginal tyre wear impact the back of the car in turn 2 where I throw in with a lift. :nervous:

@MCL1974 I doubt he's returning soon. Though mentioning him got me a like. :sly:
I could barely even see the tire wear on my car at the end of 28 laps.

I could barely even see the tire wear on my car at the end of 28 laps.
Good to hear.
Although the Lambo doesn't need an excuse.
She can be fine for 10 laps and then on lap 11...
1628003521503.png

Experiences in testing so far suggest that the WRX laps consistently over a full racing distance and feels very strong through Turns 2-4 and 9. However, it can get nervy through the hairpins if I apply too much torque to the rear wheels too quickly, and without slipstream the power deficit makes me a sitting duck along the start/finish straight.

Not expecting another big points haul tomorrow if that's the case. Had a cracking photo finish involving @Ashthebash along the way so it should still offer some fun and tight racing regardless.

If we wind up in the same lobby I have no problem teaming up with you. I would just say keep about .5 behind me so it doesn't hinder your handling.

I'm surprised @Famine hasn't been on yet complaining about his Gr.4 being as crap as mine.
I didn't know he drove Atenza. He's got special names for that car, you know.

Experiences in testing so far suggest that the WRX laps consistently over a full racing distance and feels very strong through Turns 2-4 and 9. However, it can get nervy through the hairpins if I apply too much torque to the rear wheels too quickly, and without slipstream the power deficit makes me a sitting duck along the start/finish straight.

Not expecting another big points haul tomorrow if that's the case. Had a cracking photo finish involving @Ashthebash along the way so it should still offer some fun and tight racing regardless.
Had a very solid race sandwitched between two WRX cars in 1st and 3rd in the Jaaag. It was obvious where each car's strenght lies. I would catch nr 1 in slip and even pull away from 3rd (in slip) from turn 9 through turn 4. Each lap I went purple in sector 1, only to loose 4,5 tenth before last turn. So once we get to the hairpins the WRX shows its strenght. It can comfortably turn in 2nd gear and maintain speed, while I have to drop to 1st to combat understeer and have the car rotate. I'm already driving at BB 2 to the rear. Not sure if 3 will start causing other issues.

I think I'll be okay, as long as I get a little bit lucky against who I'm driving.

Have to say I'm expecting a very frustrating race where I have pace that I can't use! But there's definitely scope in there for some good racing, around the outside at T1 anyone??!

I like BMB. Has a Daytona Road Course vibe. Once again, we'll see if I even make it past the entry screen.
I do not like it. At all. I really want to drive a Manu round tonight, but this track is so frustrating in the Vantage. Those back-to-back hairpins can just go and get wrecked. I have finished DFL in every lobby I’ve tried. I’m a full 1.5 seconds a lap behind the aliens. If I do go in, it will be humiliating

I do not like it. At all. I really want to drive a Manu round tonight, but this track is so frustrating in the Vantage. Those back-to-back hairpins can just go and get wrecked. I have finished DFL in every lobby I’ve tried. I’m a full 1.5 seconds a lap behind the aliens. If I do go in, it will be humiliating
You can join me. I've been getting thrashed pretty handily lately due to my refusal to take it seriously and practice. There is a strange rhythm to the infield section here, but once it clicks it iant so bad. I did ok with the Jag here before, think it wouldnt be too different from your vantage

You can join me. I've been getting thrashed pretty handily lately due to my refusal to take it seriously and practice. There is a strange rhythm to the infield section here, but once it clicks it iant so bad. I did ok with the Jag here before, think it wouldnt be too different from your vantage

I actually want to try some other cars to see if it’s me or the Aston to blame. I’ve had Jags, M6s and AMGs in my lobbies and they all get through the hairpins quicker. I was losing 0.4 seconds between the entry to the first hairpin and the entry to the final turn against a Jag driven by someone I’m usually a bit quicker than. It’s just so demoralizing when I’m as quick or quicker than everyone else through sectors 1 and 3.

Edit: I’m in. Door 15. Way out of my depth and the only Aston. This is going to be a disaster.

Last edited:
Back