2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Well since I've been challenged I felt I had to go again, but last one no matter what. @OJBrit I got in into the 1:51s :cool: and that's ahead of @RacingGrandpa too, but that means nothing since Q is 2 laps and then the dodgems race to follow. So I'm down to DRB/SRA after slot 1, but it can't get dirtier as you go down so maybe it will be cleaner?
D14 and 56 points this time so a slight drop, but hey I'm just looking to finish the race this time. Boy some weird lines taken, 1st spoiled by guy on out going so wide at last corner I thought he wanted to use me for slip. 2nd was ruined by guy taking 1st corner so strangely I had to bin it rather than hit him. Stil Q6 and I might have been 3rd without issues, but I might have been 6th anyway as the 3 in front were within a tenth of each other. Well I mucked up seriously. Started on meds and got into a fight for 1st, would have played the long game but the guy was too slow and we were getting caught, but would he just give it up? No he fought and fought and then it's a 5 horse race :banghead: He could have used my pace to pull a lead, but no lets fight and lose. Then it was bumper cars till the pits. Screwed the pit stop and put meds back on as I'm so used to just hitting X :banghead::banghead::banghead: Gave up and not going again. It's so dirty it's no fun.
Do I bother fixing my rating as I won't be doing FIA if this is the level of competition.

Not sure if it's the car, the track, the break from FIAs or the new penalty system but... oh who am I kidding it's obviously the penalties. A few names I've raced against before with no problems turning the entire thing into a joke.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210227160135.jpg

Ended up staying out a lap longer than planned to try and avoid the group I'd been stuck with, didn't manage it. Did manage to get free of them later. If I'm getting bumped down to 17th/18th because of fighting and I still manage to finish within sight of 7th, what does that say?

Five people didn't get a penalty. Everyone got a blue S.

There's one of you named ScruffyDingo in here I think?
I just had a unnecessary collision with them in the race, I was coming out of pit and they where coming down to T1 in a three wide. I had another Yaris behind me so hugged the wall as much as possible but we still ran into one another.
Sorry about that.

Anyway my experience of this race can be summarised in one word: Joyless. What a waste of time. Nothing about it was fun. And frankly I fear that Interlagos on Wednesday is the same with the insane tire wear.

Anyway my experience of this race can be summarised in one word: Joyless. What a waste of time. Nothing about it was fun. And frankly I fear that Interlagos on Wednesday is the same with the insane tire wear.
Yeah I'm not going again and not doing USA tonight, will have a go on Wednesday and if that's the same I'm out. There really is no point to trying to compete in these conditions. I got 14 points and only did 8 laps, sat in the pit trying not to kill my rating (didn't work). Wish I'd quit so there was no record of it.

Well since I've been challenged I felt I had to go again, but last one no matter what. @OJBrit I got in into the 1:51s :cool:

Congrats, great time. Shame about the race.

Not dirty, just you have to leave less space, otherwise you will get pushed around and out of the track. The penalty system is non-existent and diving is at home...

You could be over the kerb risking a penalty and they'll still dive up the inside and push you wide.

Was your car any quicker with the tiger in your tank?

That was even less fun.

Got taken out by a Danish driver who missed his braking point at Dunlop and, after giving him the widest berth possible while passing him, just smashed into me at every opportunity in the final sector. Looks like he'd been taken out earlier in the lap by someone else and decided to take it out on me.

No penalty of course. Though I did get one on lap one after being smashed off the inside of a corner by a car who didn't think other people can exist.

This may as well be a random position generator.

First race qualified 10th, finished 11th. Caught behind someone who swerved and barged at every opportunity.

Went again, qualified 6th, finished 2nd. Hugged the inside at turn 1, turned in time to avoid a spear. Others drifted wide and found myself in first. P2 took a penalty so I broke away til pitting on lap 6 for the hards. Eventually got past by a Greek who was a comet. Also succumbed to a German but they had forgotten to use hards so ended 2nd for 129 points. Fortunate but thankful because the race is a lottery

:lol::lol: I don't judge, not my job & wouldn't want it. :dopey:
A lot of questions can be answered with a simple search. His were good questions and so are "most" of yours. :sly::P:lol: (joke)
From my perspective, there are a ton of new players due to C19 and that's a good thing for us online racers.
I just try to remember when I came back to GT with GTS and then found this place.
:cheers:

I'm definitely a noob when it comes to the online side of things despite having played every GT game (even the PSP one:eek:).

Actually had a good experience this afternoon. Low B split I assume (that is what I am anyway). Qualified 8th, neither lap very good. Make up 4 places at T1 by staying out of trouble. By lap 3 I'm P2 behind a French guy who is fast but with dodgy internet. He eventually drops out and I'm leading!!

Pit with a 3 sec lead lap 7 for hards. Come out in net lead and lose about a second in traffic but then they all pit and I just need to do 5 clean laps. Then I do this

So frustrating. Not as if CocaCola and 100R is a difficult bit of the track! Anyway chasing pack of 4 all get me and I finish P5 less than 3 secs off the lead.

58 points couldn't go again anyway as drinking had started! But I don't even know if that is any good in the lower echelons of DR B? Dont have anyone on the friends list to compare to.

Yes, that is a blatant plea for people here to add me:lol:. PSN is in the signature and is the same as name here anyway.

It was a clean race, some barging but not excessive. But just so annoying that the win was right there and I messed up under no pressure whatsoever :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'm definitely a noob when it comes to the online side of things despite having played every GT game (even the PSP one:eek:).

Actually had a good experience this afternoon. Low B split I assume (that is what I am anyway). Qualified 8th, neither lap very good. Make up 4 places at T1 by staying out of trouble. By lap 3 I'm P2 behind a French guy who is fast but with dodgy internet. He eventually drops out and I'm leading!!

Pit with a 3 sec lead lap 7 for hards. Come out in net lead and lose about a second in traffic but then they all pit and I just need to do 5 clean laps. Then I do this

So frustrating. Not as if CocaCola and 100R is a difficult bit of the track! Anyway chasing pack of 4 all get me and I finish P5 less than 3 secs off the lead.

58 points couldn't go again anyway as drinking had started! But I don't even know if that is any good in the lower echelons of DR B? Dont have anyone on the friends list to compare to.

Yes, that is a blatant plea for people here to add me:lol:. PSN is in the signature and is the same as name here anyway.

It was a clean race, some barging but not excessive. But just so annoying that the win was right there and I messed up under no pressure whatsoever :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Send you a friend request.

I have to ask at times what they were thinking with Fuji's last sector. The Dunlop chicane in particular feels like an absolute disaster waiting to happen. By the time you've gone deep enough into it to make an overtake work, the person who's been taking the racing line has to give up and give space for the overtaker if there's not going to be a coming together... and then it goes into another quick right hander where if the overtaker keeps his line, there's nowhere for the overtakee to go but onto the astroturf. Even that 'great battle' between Massa and Kubica in '08 involved them cutting corners that'd get them penalties aplenty if they did them here in GTS. Can we please have the 70s layout back?

Interesting enough race though. I was reminded of the Nations' Final, where the whole game was not to get into battles, really. Unfortunately I got suck behind an Italian driving almost exclusively in his mirror. He was slow, but would lunge across the track to protect his line at any cost. After a few failed attempts at trying to get by him, and being swallowed by the pack, I decided to go for a risky undercut strategy.

I'd started on RMs, but I dived in on lap 3 for Hards, since I knew they could last the whole race healthily. Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough, and ended up behind him when he pitted on lap 5. On lap 6, another Brit he'd been barging with came out the pits and the two went for each other into the first corner. I took the chance to slip by and sure enough, the fact they kept fighting meant he lost time even if I wasn't quick as the best drivers in the lobby. He kept fighting, kept taking it out of his tyres, and slowly the better drivers slid by and eventually passed me (I chose not to defend aggressively, I'd seen the damage the Italian was doing and figured it was just better to let the faster drivers slip by, and use their slipstream). Eventually finished 5th from an 8th place start, which isn't great by this forum's standards since it was mid-tier B/S, but I'm pleased enough. It was, to me at least, just a sign that calm and clean racing will win out eventually. The only winning game is not to play, in a sense.

I have to ask at times what they were thinking with Fuji's last sector. The Dunlop chicane in particular feels like an absolute disaster waiting to happen. By the time you've gone deep enough into it to make an overtake work, the person who's been taking the racing line has to give up and give space for the overtaker if there's not going to be a coming together... and then it goes into another quick right hander where if the overtaker keeps his line, there's nowhere for the overtakee to go but onto the astroturf. Even that 'great battle' between Massa and Kubica in '08 involved them cutting corners that'd get them penalties aplenty if they did them here in GTS. Can we please have the 70s layout back?

This^^^^^^

It's not as bad as the final sector at Catalunya but it's bad. Corners with a wide entry that tightens are just murder for good racing. Multiple lines in but one line out.

Several months ago we had an entertaining discussion/meme fest on how to improve Fuji's last sector in the r/WEC discord, these were my favorites:
Eau Fuji: (Eau Rouge but followed immediately by a 90 right)
fueji-rouge.png
Red Bull Fuji: (T10 and Panasonic as T1 & 2 from RBR)
red-bull-fuji.png
Complex Fujistring (the squiggly section from Complex String, but uphill)
complex-fujistring.png

Panasonic but it's the Degners in reverse (Could use the chicken too if you wanted to slow the cars down)
fuji-degners.png

This^^^^^^

It's not as bad as the final sector at Catalunya but it's bad. Corners with a wide entry that tightens are just murder for good racing. Multiple lines in but one line out.

One of the guys in my racing club on Monday nights insists that Fuji would be brilliant if it was driven in reverse. Maybe he's onto something.

Several months ago we had an entertaining discussion/meme fest on how to improve Fuji's last sector in the r/WEC discord, these were my favorites:

Complex Fujistring (the squiggly section from Complex String, but uphill)
View attachment 994556

I like this!

Speaking of WEC though I think Gr1s might be the only interesting class here... the hybrids will enjoy the squiggly bits but the Group Cs will blast away on the straights. Would be interesting to see, but again, the quality of the racing is suspect. I still have nightmares about the Audi VGTs from last year.

Last edited:
Not much to say about today’s race, I enjoyed it but there’s nothing to write home about really.
Door 12, Q9, finished 7th. Should have been better if it wasn’t for the half second penalty for cutting the chicane.

Has anyone tried the karts at RBR short yet?
They seem very difficult to control on a wheel, might have to be a DS4 race for me!

I vagely remember someone mentioning some time ago on this forum that you should only add fuel once during a race, (when you do more then one pitstop) and that adding a bit of fuel with each pitstop would cause additional time loss?
Is my memory correct and is it indeed costing more time, for whatever reason?

As usual you can blame Herman Tilke.

I don't think anyone in my race was old enough to get the reference.

To be fair, I'm not either. I've just seen a few 100 greatest adverts shows on TV.

I vagely remember someone mentioning some time ago on this forum that you should only add fuel once during a race, (when you do more then one pitstop) and that adding a bit of fuel with each pitstop would cause additional time loss?
Yes, the animation for refuelling adds a few seconds to the time.

FIA races are typically designed so you only need one fuel stop (or no fuel and just short shifting), regardless of how many tires stops are required. Adding fuel before it's necessary just adds weight to the car, and makes your pit stop longer so you come out behind more slower cars.

Thought experiment: 15 lap race, fuel lasts 11 laps, tires last 5 laps. Why would you add fuel at lap 5?

Well just finished up my first FIA and first grid start. My dog is my copilot, but he's not good. Wanted attention and bumps my hand, finger off the brake, false start after qualifying 6. In the course of my penalty at the line P 12 punts me, and I get a 3 s penalty. Back to 17 after the false start, on me.

I just hang back as the carnage unfolds at T1 and I slip through no contact and pick up a place. Pack ahead is insane so I just trail and pick up the places from the punting and banging, on to the front straight in P13, 3 s pen to serve, back to 18, 16 after T1 collects the taxes. Catch back up to the dirty pack by L4, and I can't figure out how to get through clean, holding steady in 15 but they are slowing me down, and every overtake is met with a lunge, door bang or other, so pit a lap early and grab hards.

Made up tons of time on that group after coming out if the pits and when they pit on 6 I am in P12, some good racing with a couple of Canadians, clean drivers, and bring home 7th and 45 points.

For a low B (~12k) I'll take it and not going again. I hope the real FIA season sees a penalty change or this might be it for me. It is less racing and more demolition derby. I want to race, not avoid accidents constantly.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back