2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Attempt #2: 4 second penalty for this disgusting move:

See here is my feeling

I really don't mind if GT7 gets delayed until 2022 if it has to be. But some functional issues in GT Sport need to be addressed (and keep being addressed) in the meantime, like a BOP update and a working penalty system. But there has been no BOP update in 6 months and the latest penaty system is somehow worse than the previous one.

It is extremely frustrating stuff in what is otherwise a great multiplayer racing game.

Last edited:
Manufacturer Rd4 - Hyundai at Blue moon Bay

This race can be described in a single word: disaster. In quali I got a penalty in the only lap with slipstream - so I started in P19.

Then, at race start we had a bug, so everyone below P12 were stopped. When we could start, the car in front(a Jag) lost the rear and spun into me. Of course - I was to blame for that and got 4s penalty. From there it was basically race over - I went alone for basically whole first stint, then managed to catch up a 4 car group that were fighting. Last laps were just trying to avoid penalties, was prepared to finish in P17 when my tank got completely empty on the exit of the last turn. Fortunately, there 3 cars in front that were running empty already, and I managed to pass them before the finish line. P14 and 116 points.

Was wondering how you got this! Although looking at it I didn't help the situation.
It was tight but all 3 of us came out of the corner in the same order we went in, the game shouldn't be giving penalties for nothing incidents like that.

I went again in the final slot and finished 2nd but it was the low S SR room so only 205 points.

Last edited:
BMB and oval BoP makes it (in theory) an equal playing field. Unless you're lucky enough to be with Mitsubishi :lol:. The NSX felt very competent, pulled nicely on the straights out of draft as well as in it. Nonetheless, such a race has potential for disaster and questionable penalties, but also a good result and DR gains. Need a big dollop of luck either way.

Entering slot 1 saw us door #2 in a 187pt lobby. so no pressure then... Quali went smoother than expected. My first flying lap drafting a Corvette was a 42.9 and ultimately couldn't beat it, disappointing really. Some mistiming with the draft and spacing meant I was unable to do better, so P10 it was.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20201216223425(2).jpg

Gambled starting on mediums, anxious about losing time with a full tank and cold hards :yuck:. Straightaway I gained 3 spots by T1, some unlucky souls forgot 700hp + cold tyres = wheel spin, hence use of TC at the start! I felt their pain, but their loss was my gain. A 1sec pen for a Huracan squeezing a 458 in T1 gave us P6. Sadly the group ahead decided to fight, so the then leader was able to escape. We were 3 wide at times, so I was happy sitting back getting the draft instead. Eventually I took the undercut on L10 for hards, dropping into free air in P16, albeit without draft for a lap. Ended up coming out just ahead of the battling group once they pitted. Race was largely clean as a whistle, getting one SR down for a tap on a Beetle in T1 on old tyres, my bad. Thankfully nothing gained nor lost for either party.

The group behind then swallowing us back into P7; with a late stopping 911 ahead still to pit. However, a 4sec penalty for a German 458 after an aggressive move gifted us P6 again. They dropped to P15 as a result...

20201216230600.jpg

Teamwork makes the dream work right?

The last 10 laps were a dash to the flag, with 5 of us managing to escape the pack. Myself and an F-type were the only 2 on hards upfront so I struggled initially, as P2 and P3 worked to catch it in P1. Thankfully myself and a Spanish 'Vette in P4 employed teamwork to catch up. And that we did, come Lap 25 1s covered us all. In prime position I waited, and sure enough the Spanish 'Vette made a bold move at T3, dragging me along as P2 and P3 were hung out to dry up high. The run to the line was close, all 5 of us were within 0.5s of each other managing to nab P3 as a result 👍. Sadly the replay cuts at Lap 24 just before the action...

P3, 171pts and blue SR to boot was better than expected really. Good luck to those still to run in other regions :cheers:.

Last edited:
Hard tires are mandatory for the next Nations Cup event. Wish I would have looked at that first before doing a practice race, one-stopping for two sets of Mediums. Will be running two practice races tomorrow, once one-stopping for Hards and then trying a two-stop, though I'm thinking this is gonna be a one-stopper. Lap 9 or so was when I had to pit; you could probably stretch it to Lap 10 if you save some fuel here and there. Never tried driving the car on Hards so I wonder how long it'll take me to adapt to less grip.

Hard tires are mandatory for the next Nations Cup event. Wish I would have looked at that first before doing a practice race, one-stopping for two sets of Mediums. Will be running two practice races tomorrow, once one-stopping for Hards and then trying a two-stop, though I'm thinking this is gonna be a one-stopper. Lap 9 or so was when I had to pit; you could probably stretch it to Lap 10 if you save some fuel here and there. Never tried driving the car on Hards so I wonder how long it'll take me to adapt to less grip.
With Medium tires lasting more than half of the race, two stop is not needed. One stop will likely be the go-to strategy, not sure if 0 stop is doable.
The SF is a bit sketchy on your out lap with Hard tires (same applies if starting the race on Hard tires), so give it about a lap before you can start to push. Doesn't drive too bad on Hard tires, in my opinion.

Edit: Definite 1 stop. 0 stop forces insane fuel saving, which makes you slower than the usual rush hour traffic on Los Angeles' I-405.

Last edited:
Qualified 3rd, with @Jwptexas in 4th. Unfortunately a stack-up into T1 on Lap 2 gave him a penalty and took him out of contention. After that, I was in 4th, trailing a Hyundai, and Evo, and a BMW. The BMW was the only one of us that started on Mediums and was very feisty. In spite of him and the Evo battling for the entire first stint, the 4 of us pulled out over 3s over the rest of the field. Because the Bimmer (which started in 5th) was on Mediums, and the car that started directly behind it was a Supra on Hards, it had allowed us to break the slipstream immediately since the BMW got through T1 so much better than those behind.

The Bimmer then pitted on Lap 11 to put on Hards, and right after that the Hyundai I'd been following smacked the wall on the exit of T3 and got a penalty, leaving just me and the Evo. I tried signaling to the Evo that I wanted to pit on Lap 13 to swap to Mediums, but I ended up pitting by myself and emerging JUST in front of the BMW. The Evo went another 2 laps and we undercut him and left him behind. Unfortunately my Mediums started to wear towards the end, allowing the BMW to stay in contention and the Evo to catch our slipstream towards the end. On the last lap, I was leading and tried to defend to the inside, but the BMW just used the apron on the track to pass me, and because I didn't want to cause a wreck, I let him merge in front of me before T2. I tried to send it around the outside in T3, but didn't have enough grip. In the end...
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20201216193440.jpg

My weeks-long anticipation was thoroughly rewarded...well, almost. I really wanted that win :lol:. I'm gonna try to get into the Top 16, but if I can't, this is it for the night! This is my best score for Manufacturer's yet under this points system.

Edit: didn't make it to Top 16. Oh well, I had fun. Too bad I can only do it once.

Last edited:
Well this was a crazy race. I decided after the first slot to do the race even though I was gonna pass. Only Ferrari in race, surprisingly I qualified 2nd. Unsurprisingly an Evo qualified on pole. Then the race started, and for the second time this season, my car had reduced speed. The gas wasn't working very well. By the time I had dropped to 16th, I grabbed my controller and managed to finish 9th. I looked at the replay and noticed my brake was at 1/4 to start the race even when I wasn't pressing it. Now I would say to myself, clean the pedals and check the springs, but like before, I had no problem with the quali laps or the practice lobby I did right before that. I have the latest firmware for T150 wheel, and the 3PA pedal set replacing the stock one. Seems like a weird glitch. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Much better fortunes in slot 2!

Door 16, Q7, P6, 130 points, ~600 DR

Got a good partner in qualy for once, and an even better one in the race although the lead pack got juuust out of reach after a few laps.

Did a 12M, 13H strategy and it all just kind of worked out. Fun, clean race from my perspective.

Bring on Mount Panorama, I'll be proudly rocking the Roland Ratzenberger livery for that one!

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20201216210502.jpg

20190621215222.jpg

Had some OK races, but there are some crazy drivers out there.

First race, qualified P2 behind another Corvette. Good start, then someone in an Evo decided to bump-draft 200m before T1, then braked at the 150m mark. Guess who went into the back of that crazy in the Mitsubishi? That's right, got a 2sec for it. Then after serving that, I un-ghosted inside of someone (I swear, officer!) and I got another 1s from that. Down to P11, ~7 sec from the leader.

What struck me was how dumb the leading pack was. I clawed back a 6s gap (with help from GTP-Legend who knew what he was doing) and got onto the leaders because THEY DIDN'T WORK TOGETHER. Some real 0 IQ plays from them, going 3-wide the whole time. Finished P6.

@LeGeNd-1 what happened to you early on? I was taken out too early to see anything that far ahead, I think you got a 2s? Murdered? Thanks for your good driving and bump-drafting either way. Then you dropped off after 7-8 good laps bumping me?

Second race. Didn't get into the Top 16 because I'm not in the SS, so it was best-of-the-rest for 270pts. Qualified P4 with a terrible tow. Another crazy in a different Evo (correlation?) was weaving, blocking, and divebombing literally from lap 1. Didn't bump-draft once, actively tried to dodge the bump-drafts and try to go 2-wide instead AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY.

Because of this, instead of breaking away from the pack, he dragged everyone back into the midfield. WHY? Through sheer luck, me having PTSD from the previous race penalties and being cautious, and several blatant murders into T1 and T3, he ended up walking away from the field and winning because it's the fastest car.

Oh well, finished P2 and 259 points, I'll take that. At least my DR didn't reset and I didn't die of death during any of the races.

Had some OK races, but there are some crazy drivers out there.

First race, qualified P2 behind another Corvette. Good start, then someone in an Evo decided to bump-draft 200m before T1, then braked at the 150m mark. Guess who went into the back of that crazy in the Mitsubishi? That's right, got a 2sec for it. Then after serving that, I un-ghosted inside of someone (I swear, officer!) and I got another 1s from that. Down to P11, ~7 sec from the leader.

What struck me was how dumb the leading pack was. I clawed back a 6s gap (with help from GTP-Legend who knew what he was doing) and got onto the leaders because THEY DIDN'T WORK TOGETHER. Some real 0 IQ plays from them, going 3-wide the whole time. Finished P6.

@LeGeNd-1 what happened to you early on? I was taken out too early to see anything that far ahead, I think you got a 2s? Murdered? Thanks for your good driving and bump-drafting either way. Then you dropped off after 7-8 good laps bumping me?

Second race. Didn't get into the Top 16 because I'm not in the SS, so it was best-of-the-rest for 270pts. Qualified P4 with a terrible tow. Another crazy in a different Evo (correlation?) was weaving, blocking, and divebombing literally from lap 1. Didn't bump-draft once, actively tried to dodge the bump-drafts and try to go 2-wide instead AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY.

Because of this, instead of breaking away from the pack, he dragged everyone back into the midfield. WHY? Through sheer luck, me having PTSD from the previous race penalties and being cautious, and several blatant murders into T1 and T3, he ended up walking away from the field and winning because it's the fastest car.

Oh well, finished P2 and 259 points, I'll take that. At least my DR didn't reset and I didn't die of death during any of the races.
That was what made it not fun for me. Drivers who didn’t “get it” and ended up causing a break in the aero train, ruining the race for the drivers behind them.

I jumped into the midnight slot as I was too busy today to join the earlier ones. Qualified 15th. This had to be one of the most infuriating races I have ever done. Hardly anyone wanted to work together and bump draft. It was every man for himself from almost the beginning. And I got my SR dropped to A for my troubles. What a joke.

full

Since Manufacturers will be on Saturdays starting next week, I should be able to invest more time into these races and hopefully get some good scores in.

Last edited:
Welp, never forgetting this one. I tried streaming it like I usually do, but something was not working. YouTube was just constantly saying it's not receiving enough video which is weird, because I haven't changed any settings.

I was in with @LVS_1986 and managed to squeeze into a slipstream on the flying lap to close right up to the car in front without really having to slow down, which put me on pole. Started on the Hards, and had an instant gap because P2 and P3 spun out immediately on the start!

From there a Mazda was slowly chasing me down before eventually getting into my slipstream. I pit on lap 13 to try to undercut him and wound up a couple of seconds ahead because I think he emerged in traffic. But then a few laps later my computer crashed or something, and all my screens went blank. The HDMI passthrough on my Elgato stopped, so I was looking at a TV with no signal and praying it would come back. Thankfully, I was on the back straight when it happened and the picture did come back before it was too late. I lost a bit of time from the panic, so the Mazda got back into my slipstream.

From there it was a tooth and nail fight with the Mazda, and I managed to slip it up on the inside and get the line just right to stop him getting a good run out of the corner on the last lap. Won it by less than a tenth!!
View attachment 978606

I guess now I'm going to have to record the replay manually and upload that instead. :rolleyes:

Hi! Sorry I didnt say hello, your nick sound familiar, but I wasnt sure:) How we got matched is a mystery for me, youre much faster:) Congratulations on this one:cheers:
About race, I qualified poorly(as always) and started 12th... Start of the race was funny, cars spinning left and right and penaltys everywhere:lol: But somehow I was able to avoid all the carnage... After T1 I was 7th or 8th, good but not perfect, out of slip range in front(1,2s) but comfortable gap of 2,1s behind... I dont remember on which but few laps later I was in slip of early(?) pitters... At some point I was even P1 when @Zorz pitted:lol: BTW thanks for bumpdraft, it helped me a little but my rear right tire was dead, so I moved out of your way, I was so stressed in braking zone for T1 to not hit your back:lol: Hope I didnt made a fool of myself... I think it was mistake to stay on track for that long on Mediums... When out of the pit I was behind guy in AMG, slowly getting closer. But then p6 and p7 came out of nowhere... They catch me andstrted stupid fight... Dives in t1 etc... If they have will to cooperate we could easliy catch AMG in front.. After all I finished 6th for 126pts, good enough for me:)

Another race is gone!

I was worried about a race on a oval, I haven't experience at all with this kind of race, but my personal best on the track was quite good (In according with my level of course). I start the game 1 minutes before the the end of the time to enter in the race.

It's not so bad, My muscle was cold but during first lap of qualifying but I take the 3th place on the grid!

The start was quite bad... I don't no why my car goes in over-steering after the start and the same for the 1st that did a 180° spin and I dodged him but I lost 1 position (I'm already 3th).

The penalties where a problem in this race, a 1second penalty (I re- watched my race and I don't understand what was my fault) and I was 5th.
My strategy 15/17 hard + 10 / 8 medium is good. I drove with a very gentleman driver with a Mercedes and we drove a lap each one behind (alternated) . At the end of 14 lap I was 1st!

The next lap I follow my casual partner on the pit, I change my tires and a bit of fuel. I go outside 6. The pack in front of me is under our range of action and I and the Mercedes with few fuel and new medium tires eat seconds.
It' was the 18th lap. I'm fast and I can saw the podium.

An Italian driver with Ferrari is slower than me, my exit after the last turn is faster but He thought to cross my path and try to oblige me on the grass on the pit lane. I release the throttle and I was after him.

I know that I can brake after the 100m signal. My opponent can't do. I overtake but the unfair player close the turn and our doors goes in contact. I take 2 seconds.
And I go 8th, alone without slipstream my race end in this position.

I'm not angry for the result of the race: I collect point and DR (but lose 2 SR), but I angry because I didn't understand that a much patient strategy with a unfair player is better than my stronger action to overtake.
And I think also that if you are a unfair player the problem is not the game but your loser mentality in real life.

I will not race with the "super formula" , I can't control the car. I think that I need much training

bye!

My run from Slot 1 last night. 2 penalties for contact that didn't even slightly affect the other car. Although the one feel really sorry for was the pole sitter. He got driven into by the Lambo as it was diving for the pits and coped a 4 second penalty for contact for being driven into.

Hi! Sorry I didnt say hello, your nick sound familiar, but I wasnt sure:) How we got matched is a mystery for me, youre much faster:) Congratulations on this one:cheers:
Thank you! Truth be told, I didn't recognise your name until it was too late to say hello. :dopey:

As for how we got matched up, I've lost a few thousand DR points since the start of the season from a string of really bad races. I pretty much only do FIA, so it can take me a while to get the DR back again.

At some point I was even P1 when @Zorz pitted:lol: BTW thanks for bumpdraft, it helped me a little but my rear right tire was dead, so I moved out of your way, I was so stressed in braking zone for T1 to not hit your back:lol: Hope I didnt made a fool of myself... I think it was mistake to stay on track for that long on Mediums... When out of the pit I was behind guy in AMG, slowly getting closer. But then p6 and p7 came out of nowhere... They catch me andstrted stupid fight... Dives in t1 etc... If they have will to cooperate we could easliy catch AMG in front.. After all I finished 6th for 126pts, good enough for me:)
Any time, glad to hear the bump drafting helped. 👍

When I saw you after my pit stop and got a strong run on you out of turn 1 from the new Mediums I figured I could help you increase your gap to the car that was chasing you and let your slipstream pull me forward. I did wonder if you deliberately let me past at the bend or if that was just very worn tyres making you go wide. Sorry for stressing you out afterwards, that was not my intention! :lol:

Blue Moon Bay
Slot 1, Low DR A, SR S lobby

I practiced WAAAAYYYY too much for this race. However, I had an absolute hoot doing it. To fully embrace the race, I ate plenty of delicious fried chicken and yummy Taco Bell and may....may...have had an adult beverage or two along the way. I enjoyed working with friends as much as I did dumping them for newer faster friends. We laughed at drivers that wouldn't play the slip stream game, we cried as those fools would smash us against the wall.

What I learned after putting in all those laps was that qualifying REALLY mattered. I had, on several occasions, qualified with a 42.5xx. But only if I got the magic slip stream that I needed. As we all found out, finding friends or even the right combo of cars in front of you even when you had a friend, just didn't always seem to work out. You were often at the mercy of Lady Luck. Good news though, I was door number 7.

After qualifying at the pointy end of the stick, I worked with my slip stream buddy, to stay up front. I started on the RMs to make sure I didn't lose the lead pack. Maybe a good thing, as the Aston that made his way out front was pushing hard. At the pit split, I lost the group and actually pulled a lead when they re-entered a lap later, but the Aston caught traffic and my slipstream partner reeled me back in, We worked together and I eventually ended with a p2.

That'd be good for the main account. Too much was in the hands of others this race. So I bowed out and decided to run on my alter egeaux account. We did well with a P1 in Slot 2 and P2 in Slot 3, never doubt the Doctor. ;)

So, going from a terrible oval track racer to a P2, P1, and P2 in three FIA races was quite satisfying. Mission accomplished.

2020/21 Exhibition Series - Season 2 - Round 4
Manufacturers Series
Race #4 - Gr3 / Blue Moon Bay Speedway

Was open minded about this race... an 'oval' race, in Gr3... a little strange, and the Porsche and I didn't feel really comfortable, nor did I get up to the speed I wanted, even with some considerable practice. But with the tire strategy and the draft, a decent top 10 was a reasonable target, so I was willing to jump into the race... I don't like to skip any that I can make.

So I entered with an all-time high DR, hoping for reasonable FIA points with such a finish. After a little longer load time than usual, I headed out to the warm-up session. I noticed everyone was chatting with comments like "what happened?" and "where did everyone go?"... turns out: 12 people were disconnected! So there would only be 8 of us lining up for the race! Shades of F1 at Indy in 2004!

So I THOUGHT that meant guaranteed DR increase, and a nice FIA points haul, no matter what happened. I qualified 6th of the 8 drivers, after being 'raced' by a dumb GTR who didn't want to work together, apparently. (Dude: IT'S QUALIFYING... DON'T RACE ME... if I'm faster, let me through for f's sake.) Even though I would pull him like crazy every lap. With only 5 min, if you didn't find a draft partner immediately, there wasn't time for another.

And within two laps, I had broken the draft behind me after passing one car at the start... so that it was just the five of us running away. Was going well... But a few things made the race not so fun. One, a VW (man I hate racing those...) kept blocking and protecting his position, racing side by side in the corners instead of working together to pass the guys ahead. Which meant we were both losing the draft, and then let the other cars rejoin our draft.

I had planned for an undercut on the softs, and then to milk the hard tires for the balance of the race. But a few laps after my pit stop, that same annoying GTR from the qualifying session exited the pits and then proceeded to dive bomb me and hit my door in T1... causing ME to get a huge penalty. Game over. Lost the draft, and then just finished out the second half of the race without the tow, and finished 8th, red mist still covering the windshield of the 911 RSR.

To add insult to injury, the VW that I was jockeying with early on, and whom I was faster than, finished 3rd... proving that I could have had a good finish if the GTR hadn't ruined the race for me. Then the GTR driver talked garbage about hitting me in the lobby, which was annoying... And I noticed that I was net -2 SR, which is hard to understand, but I think I got one SR down for a bump draft in qualifying, which was not evident when it happened. But that and the bogus penalty meant I lost SR in this waste of an hour.

At least the FIA points were 'keepers'... I'll take them, thank you. 8th was about the targeted finish for me anyway, it's just that it wasn't any fun 'earning' them.

Have been unhappy about the lobbies I've drawn this season at 30-35k DR in the first time slot. Maybe I should try to run with another crowd, or hopefully can pad my DR a bit with a favorable Daily race next week, to try to break free of the group of unknown and sometimes 'not smart' racers that I've encountered this season.

Porsche 911 RSR (991) '17
Qualified: 6th
Race Finish: 8th (128 pts)
Door #6 (-500 DR)

Last edited:
Back