2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Not going to say too much about this, think the video speaks for itself.

Not sure how I was the one to come out of this with a penalty.

Just wondering why I even bothered now, thought about going again but only envisaged something similar happening again.

I hope the rest of you have better luck, don’t seem to be getting much luck of my own on GT Sport at the moment!

You were the last car they had contact with before spinning.

Do. Not. Use. The. Corvette. Just don't. I just did on an alt account and was the sole reason for the field splitting in half. I couldn't keep up with all the Supras at the very beginning so everyone behind me was screwed :lol: At the end of the race there was a four second gap between P11 and P12 (where I started). My first race however was a different story ;)

As always I refused to use the Meta Car and thus joined in the F40. Qualified 5th (not that it matters) and moved up into second very quickly to bump draft the leader. Come the first corner I chickened out and fell back slightly in order to seperate myself from the pack. That lessened the chance to get tangled up in any erupting chaos. Once everyone got past me I realized there was a sizable gap towards the back. The replay shows that the Supra which started in 8th was criminally sloppy with the tow which results in him and everyone behind falling back and losing the slipstream early.

Anyway, we got though the first corner without any inicidents. I move up and down on the next straight and pull out again before corner 2. Meanwhile the group behind does a better job at working as a team and keeps coming closer. They closed the gap on the next straight, so P8-13 joined the battle for victory. Since I'm in a train on the right side of the road I decide to stay with the group entering the penultimate (:lol:) corner. I come out in 6th while four people behind me have a crash, shrinking our group back down. Now with just nine of us speeding towards the tunnel I start to think where to position myself for the slingshot. I didn't want to just pull out and fall back again as that would've been too obvious and might have given the other drivers an idea. So I decide to just keep bump drafting without ever overtaking anyone. The fact that some people are overly eager to get to the front certainly helps my cause and I enter the final corner in 8th with just one other F40 behind me. I manage to get past almost everyone and finish 3rd. Victory might have been possible with the Supra but seeing how I used an underdog car I'm very happy with the result :)

EqhGnjtXIAYPhUE

EqhGn4YW8AEcf7h

Last edited:
Got sideswiped on the OUT LAP for a penalty. Lost the draft serving said penalty. Started Q19/20.

Stayed in a tight group at the back until the last corner, passed through a pile of wreckage and came home 12th for 98 points.

Stupid race in stupid cars on a stupid track against stupid "competitors". One and done. A/S my butt. 🤬

Q'd 3rd in the F40, leapfrogged 2nd (Soupra) and 1st (Ford) off the start, we were 1s ahead of the pack at the end of the first corner but messed up switching the Supra to the front, so the pack caught us. Standard nonsense until I get sideswiped in the middle of the back straight on lap 2, ping pong off both walls, end up last, hit pause and let the PS4 drive me home, but apparently you get disqualified if you pause for too long, so I had to take over for the final turn. 20th for 32 points. :lol: Gonna probably go again for giggles in the other Ferrari.

Enzo slot went much better, far less fighting and nonsense, picked up an SR down being rammed in one of the turns, but finished 6th after failing to get much of a draft off the last corner.

Last edited:
NA slot 1. The Diablo is my favorite car of all time, so my weapon of choice was an easy pick. I was joined with @Geauxgreddy and @afc5150. By some freak miracle, I qualified on pole. I scraped the wall on the back straight during qualifying, so I'm truly baffled with how that happened.

Starting the race, another Diablo, a Supra, and an Enzo understood what to do and we started bump drafting each other almost immediately. This allowed us to break away from the pack by the first turn. There was no drama at all. On to the last lap, I was leading by the time we reached the final turn. I expected the other three to be all over me but they were still staying behind. Briefly, none of them were even on my radar as we were finishing the corner. I thought for a moment I was going to win this thing, but the Supra barely beats me to the finish line by two hundredths of a second. So close.

For some weird reason, my game decided to freeze right here:

full

...Which means I didn't get to even save the replay, unfortunately. But I'm just glad my result still counted. Took home 173 points. :)

Last edited:
NA slot 1. The Diablo is my favorite car of all time, so my weapon of choice was an easy pick. I was joined with @Geauxgreddy and @afc5150. By some freak miracle, I qualified on pole. I scraped the wall on the back straight during qualifying, so I'm truly baffled with how that happened.

Starting the race, another Diablo, a Supra, and an Enzo understood what to do and we started bump drafting each other almost immediately. This allowed us to break away from the pack by the first turn. There was no drama at all. On to the last lap, I was leading by the time we reached the final turn. I expected the other three to be all over me but they were still staying behind. Briefly, none of them were even on my radar as we were finishing the corner. I thought for a moment I was going to win this thing, but the Supra barely beats me to the finish line by two hundredths of a second. So close.

For some weird reason, my game decided to freeze right here:

full

...Which means I didn't get to even save the replay, unfortunately. But I'm just glad my result still counted. Took home 173 points. :)

I usually forget in these moments, as well, but you can always use the PS4 video save feature in times like that.

Got put into a room with @Jwptexas, @Pigems, @Winnie847, @sturk0167, and a bunch of other familiar names. After testing almost every car, I went with the Ford GT. The Lambo was scary in the corners, so I knew I wouldn't be able to hang on to it, even if it was the best car to form a train with. In qualifying, I gave @Pigems a 1s penalty for bump-drafting him after we left the pits (warning for those going later: don't push people who aren't on the throttle with you), then restarted when I saw him do so. Unfortunately I couldn't find him again after that, so it was me, @Winnie847 in a Supra, and another Supra in our own train. I qualified 5th, with the Supras in 6th and 7th. We were over 1s off pole, which was also a Supra, followed by 3 Diablos.

Come race time, someone in an F40 rocketed up from 9th, while the Lambos mobbed the Supra at the start and formed a train. After they got slightly disorganized on the exit of T1, I tried to push the polesitting Supra to the lead, but the Lambo train re-formed and took the lead again, dropping me to the back of our pack in 8th. In T2, the F40 and a Supra couldn't stay off each other (or the wall), but somehow made it through most of the corner without losing any speed, until the F40 came off worse and spun. I'd been watching them banging off of each other, and decided to run lower on the track to hopefully avoid any carnage in front of me, which paid off. After that brief bit of excitement, I was in 4th, between 3 Lambos ahead and 2 Supras (including @Winnie847) behind. It stayed that way for the next lap until T2, when one of the Lambos got loose entering the corner, and had no one to go with him. I then moved up to 3rd, and tried to pass the 2 remaining Lambos, who had also split up as each tried to go for the win on the run to the finish. In the end I came up just short.
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20201230193321.jpg

This was my best ever score under this points system, and the 2nd time I've finished 2nd at an oval race this season. Honestly I wasn't even expecting a result quite this good considering my miserable luck when I last raced here. Done for the night!

Also, this puts me at over 56k DR, my highest ever as well.

Last edited:
Wow, penalty stupidity on full display.

Qualy went great, got with two guys that worked together and we qualy'd P1-P3 with me grabbing pole. In the race, we break away to a 6 car lead pack for most of the first lap until people lose patience or position or something and it becomes a mess at the end of the back straight through most of the front straight. By T1 of L2 the huge chase pack caught up with us and just about the entire field comes around the final turn into the finish. I get boxed in on the outside and can't cut inside like I did for qualy. I just make a point of holding position to the line and get slapped with a 4 sec penalty right before we cross the finish.

Really, PD? Really? What the actual ****?

The penalty dropped me from what was probably P4 or P5 all the way down to P15. Not going to do this one again.

Last edited:
Qualy was a mess in race 2. We had the pit glitch where no one could leave the pit lane for several minutes, then someone left the lobby and it was suddenly back to normal and the timer reset, wtf?

Race was also a disaster, someone hit my right rear quarter and sent me into a spin after the downhill part. That was a painful 2 laps with no draft.

Last edited:
This was a crazy race. There were some qualifying mishaps in my first slot, and I finished p15 for 94 points. I thought about leaving it here, but I ended up rolling the dice again.

I got a great group to bump draft with in qually, and started p7. the lead group kept it together for the entire race, and we all went for it the last corner.

The top 5 finished within a tenth!

I snagged P3 for 203 pts. I’ll cross that goal off the list for this season!

8269F849-FC75-44D9-9B7B-37BC2DD39FA0.jpeg

0D10E272-ABA3-4766-8C1E-3F89E14A8FE1.jpeg
1B577F3E-C24D-4E70-BD5C-4352F6F8F5B8.jpeg
I don’t care if this race was a lottery, it was my first win since May and my first ever at Dr B so I’ll take it :)! Qualified 4th, took the lead before turn 3 on lap 1 and managed to keep it all the way to the end. I got huge help from a Ford GT that bump drafted me the whole way and he finished 2nd. There was another train beside us most of the time, and I thought I would be a sitting duck and get swallowed up by the pack at some point, but we managed to keep it straight and steady to stay just ahead throughout.

This is also my highest ever FIA point total. Definitely one and done tonight :cheers:

I did two races without much to report. I finished third and second with no major crashes or extremely close finishes either race. Pretty much everyone raced clean and gained SR though one person each race got penalized for wrecking when they did nothing wrong. When PD can't even get the penalty system right when at it's least severe I don't see myself racing again anytime soon.
At least I did manage one highlight in practice where I accidentally turned on the windshield wipers and then proceeded to flip thirteen times.

Last edited:
This race is a tale of what might have been. Last time this track was in FIA I won, my first and only FIA win out of 5 lifetime wins (D rated but who cares hah). So after doing only the first Nations race this season I come back and try my old friend. First slot, in quali I got out with no one around, no slip. I should have waited for those behind on the out lap to get some slip, but whatever, started 18th. I was the only one bump drafting, everyone just wanted to pass at every chance, but with me and most others in the Supra they didn't get far before I caught up. Used this to pass people late and ended up finishing 10th.
So, trying again, I was in a group during quali going ok until I got hit and spun into the wall. So, back to starting 18th. This time I used the bump and pass and a couple late incidents in front to go from 18th to 7th! I decided to call it a night but this was once again a race I could have done well in if only the qualifying wasn't a disaster. Oh well.

First race was a total failure, was doing great in quali till someone decided that swerving wildly on corners was fine he spun me and another guy and I'm 17 of 19. Move up a bit but only 15th as it's another one where people can't figure out that working together is faster than racing. It's always true, but here it's the only option for doing well unless your in the front pack. I also broke too early or could have been slightly higher, but our group was 12-18, 19 quit.
So last race, and it was first and last slots, 17 here and a much higher split. Maybe they'll work together? Well bad place in quali, but got a buddy and just us 2 managed 9th and 10th so that was good work and we have a chance of being in front group. Well yes we made it, then a crash and my buddy lost places, he ended 10th so not terrible. So in the front group of 7, but were splitting and then someone bangs me and I knock one off, luckily no penalties. When the dust settles I'm in the second group of 3, so me and 2 Ferraris who can't decide between drafting and racing, I quickly figure were going to be fighting for 4th and settle in for just surviving. It was tricky and I got 4th, 3rd beat me by a bumper. Still good race and good (for me) points.

So SSX in n700 cars... Wasnt expecting anything, did lap or two in FP. Joined first slot EMEA in Supra. Get out of pit without slipstrem, everybody waited? So I waited too, it was difficult to safely catch some slip but somehow I managed to do that. Joined train of three cars, and just stick to them... There was some italian who decided to pass two cars which was in front, so I just followed him to finish line and even halfpassed him so get nice 4:20;) which give me PP and 2nd for Italian. In chat I said work togheter, good idea he said. Race started and everything was going good until T1... My partner died in flames:( rest of race was boring until this situation when I gor chance to pass this terrible twins(maybe even couple?):

Finnaly finished 4th for 144pts, good enough...

The last 40 seconds of my slot last night. This was what I hoped the race would be...get a breakaway group, push for a gap, and then save the fight for the last corner.

I don’t think I took a breath from when we turned in to the corner until we crossed the line, lol. That was fun.

It’s too bad so many people got impatient last night.

Ok, I lied. The wife went to bed early last night, so I did the late night slot in search of some redemption (or justice or whatever.)

Qualied P8 this time as only one guy wanted to work with me. The other guy in our little train kept trying to pass us and couldn't seem to figure out why he couldn't get it done down such a long straight....

When the actual race starts for reals, I just manage to hang on to the slip down the front straight and join to train proper on the downhill section before T1. By the end of the back straight it's turned into a massive snake winding it's way down the road, as a chase pack caught up with us. All of a sudden I feel this huge bump from behind and the train explodes into pieces. I manage to keep it pointed forward and catch the leader and we pull away a little. About halfway down the front straight, a group of three catch up with us and we form into a lead train of five. The same guy who kept on jumping out of the slip in qualy is at it again except this time he keeps on trying to force his way into the line where there's no room for him. As we go into the final turn, all I'm thinking is, "No stupid penalties, PD! No stupid penalties!" I keep plenty of space between myself and everyone else, probably losing a little bit of speed in the process. I slingshot a bit early as well but cross the line cleanly in P4 with no BS penalties.

I was probably both happier and more relieved than I had any right to be but things have just been stupid lately. It felt really good to escape with a good result and without any random penalties or SR downs.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20201230224824.jpg

Last edited:
FIA Nations Special Stage Route X - Slot 1, 2, and 3. Lobby A/S. Door 17, 1, and 2 (or close to that).

Yet another race with @Master Weasel and @afc5150 . I need to talk to my pit crew on how to get out of the box behind these guys because I know they know how to form a train. I did find some slip, but qualified nowhere near that rodent...please share your cheat codes! LOL. Made an amazing run towards the front and even had the lead group in our sights when disaster struck in the final curve.

So, had to go again. Since no other GTP members were in the 2nd lobby I was able to capture Pole... but no one wanted to work with the F40, so again...ended in tragedy. Third race. I manage to position my Supra near the front and use the slip to have a great finish! I would run this all night... I have no idea why I enjoy these slip stream races so much, but I do. Lost 400 DR overall but it was worth it.

A photo recap of my race last night:

An F40 starting in 9th meant immediately that less than half the field would have a shot at the win. Thankfully I qualified in 5th. After the blue Supra made a move to the inside on back straight on Lap 1, I followed in the GT to see if we could do something about the Diablo train, with @Winnie847 also joining us in the white Supra...
7142805779137954320_0.jpg

The Diablo train was having none of it, and I eventually fell to the back of our pack in 8th.
7134361529836634648_0.jpg

The F40 and the black Supra spent all of Turn 2 bumping off of each other until this happened. Obviously this put the F40 out of contention (not that it ever had the pace to fight for the win), and slowed the black Supra down enough to lose the draft. I saw them banging on each other through the entire corner, and knew at least one of them wouldn't make it out, so I hung out on the lower part of the track waiting for the inevitable and hoping I was low enough to avoid it.
6998694989106512408_0.jpg

The field at the start of Lap 2. Still looks pretty close, doesn't it?
6990250733228524056_0.jpg

But not really...
6989687781263933976_0.jpg

Headed into the final turn, Lap 2, the 2nd place Lambo gets loose and has to chase the car down the track.
6989687783948289552_0.jpg

Fortunately he does manage to save it, but now he's at the back of the train with the race ending shortly. Meanwhile, everyone that was behind him moves up a spot, putting me into 3rd.
6999257930472097296_0.jpg

The new 2nd place Lambo pulled out of line on the run to the finish and took the lead, while I followed them and stuck my own nose out to try to go for the win as well. For the 2nd time on an oval this season, I came up just short...
6990250741954774544_0.jpg

For a comparison, here's how the race at BMB ended for me, once again in 2nd...
7277913769973384208_0.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back