2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Last run, I got baulked at T1, by a car exiting pits.:indiff:

IMG_20210324_204107.jpg
IMG_20210324_204152.jpg

That's nice. Got disco'd at the post race screen. Couldn't save my replay. :rolleyes:

Well, had a good start. Stayed P3 and the dude that finished 3rd, smashes me into the wall. I didn't rage, but pushed even harder to catch back up.

Lead for a bit, after the same player pit. Th n, I ran long to Lap 16 one 17. Switched to RM. That DrNo player got 2 seconds for something. I lead for about a lap. Pole passes me for the lead and that was that to the finish for P2.

No screenshots due to being booted.

Door 8 in a 179 point room. Only Pug in the race. 12 R92CPs, 6 Saubers and a lonely noisy boy.

Couldn’t hook up a good qualifying lap so Q13.

Uneventful for 11 laps until turn 4 caught a Sauber and I moved up to 12th. Short lived though as the Sauber and a Nissan passed me and then (fairly) blocked my run through turn 1 on lap 12. At the end of lap 13 the cars immediately in front tried to take turn 4 three wide and all ended up on the grass on the inside. Up to 11th.

Pitted lap 14 to put on softs, back out in p17. Next lap back to 15 as a couple pit, up to 14th on lap 17 as one more goes in. I’m sitting behind a Sauber on mediums and constantly having to brake early and lose exit speed as he can’t corner with speed. Then, as expected, he pulled clear on the straight.

Lap 20 the noisy boy is the last into the pits and I’m 11th with a 4 second gap to 12th and within 0,5s of 10th. Cue 10 laps of frustration as I fail to find a way past the Sauber and the pack behind us closes in. As we enter the final run to the line I am in the draft of 10th and 0.35s in front of 12th. The line arrives just soon enough for me to hold 11th by under 0.2 of a second, 0.3 seconds behind 10th.

104 points and I’ve now banked 2 Nations scores. I can’t do Sardegna next week so Laguna Seca will be my last chance to improve.

Last edited:
I strongly suggest using one of the Group C's. in several practice races, quite a few of the people were running Tomohawks, and every race I managed to hold up at least one for the entirety of the race. They were always too far behind at the end of the straights to outbrake me into the turns, and even carrying more corner speed, all they ever did was give a nice boost to my rear bumper exiting the corners. I wasn't even trying to go defensive and still easily kept any non-group C car at bay, even the ones driven by people who are normally faster than me.

I think I'll be sticking with the Nissan. As much as I'd like to try the Sauber just to be different from the rest, I've spent too long driving the Nissan and don't have enough time to readjust to the Sauber's slightly different handling while still being fast with it.

Nations Cup - BMB Infield B Gr.1
e82imjH.jpg

Qualifying was a nightmare, as traffic ruined most of my laps. Starting 12th, I resigned myself to running a practice race and strapped on Mediums.

Strategy: 13M-16S, BB +5

The first few laps was complete mayhem as everyone in the midfield tripped over each other. I was forced to go 3-wide into Turn 4 on lap 1, with the Nissan on the outside coming off worst as he hit the wall, while I came out 2 positions ahead.

c63vkCd.jpg

Mistakes and penalties allowed me to sail through the pack, and I had another close encounter at Turn 4 with a different Nissan recovering from a track penalty from Turn 1, forcing me to go round the outside to take his place.
X4qyxUv.jpg

ug18tHO.jpg

By the end of lap 5, I had made up 6 places to claim 6th. However, I was trapped in no man's land, as I was too far from the top 5 to hitch a tow. Fortunately for me, someone ahead of me had clearly made his car choice solely from a glance at the TT leaderboard, and he was now paying a heavy price for it.

Yessiree, someone was gullible enough to bring a GT-R Nismo to a tyre wear race, and now he had to deal with his front tyres going off a cliff while 4th and 5th were bearing down on him. The ensuring fight allowed me to catch up just as the Longboi dropped to 5th out of turn 1 on lap 9. One lap later, I dove up the inside into turn 1, just as the Longboi discovered another key weakness of the FF layout:

A7yCrBY.jpg
vWV8SUh.jpg

I was now up to 5th, but two unscheduled meetings with the wall at turn 4 allowed 3rd and 4th to escape well out of my slipstream range. With a worn set of Mediums that I was losing trust in and someone deciding to pit on lap 12, I decided to make an undercut and pit on lap 13, hoping that the fighting between 3rd and 4th would put me ahead after everyone had served their stops.

The strategy worked like a charm, promoting me to 3rd on lap 18. However, a Nissan in Toyota colours had pitted one lap after me and was hot on my tail, looking to retake 3rd place. A bad exit out of turn 4 allowed the faux-Toyota to close the gap and dive up the inside into turn 1, taking 3rd from me. However, I was not willing to let the podium go without a fight. I chased my rival and made multiple dives up the inside into turn 1, to no avail. I even had a couple of close encounters with him at turn 4 when he braked earlier than I expected.
SktT54k.jpg
uWszEBR.jpg
kwNLq6U.jpg
qhJTDco.jpg

His early braking into turn 4, combined with the fact that I was able to get back into his slipstream in just one lap after I had hit the wall on lap 23, made me suspect that he was on Mediums. In reality, he was on Softs that were 1 lap fresher than mine. His collision with Turn 4's wall on lap 25 allowed me to finally take back 3rd into turn 1.

aKODsnH.jpg

The faux-Toyota then proceeds to forget that slipstream is a thing, resulting in him braking too late and sending me into the wall.
O6fuE85.jpg

The resulting 3 second penalty demoted him to 5th and ended our battle, allowing me to take the last step of the podium for 147 points.
0mTekyt.jpg
K2DhjS8.jpg
YC2QEkU.jpg

Suffice to say, I did far, far better than I expected. One and done.

Here's the video of my race. I also posted the replay on my GT profile.

Last edited:
Times in EU have dropped under the 38s. All of them with wallriding which doesn't seem to be penalized
Sounds a bit off if you ask me. Got tempted to do some practice runs this afternoon and my fastest is a 39.251 in the Sauber.

If anyone is competing in EMEA today, there's a good chance you might see me in the 16:00 slot... good luck, everyone!

Sounds a bit off if you ask me. Got tempted to do some practice runs this afternoon and my fastest is a 39.251 in the Sauber.

If anyone is competing in EMEA today, there's a good chance you might see me in the 16:00 slot... good luck, everyone!

Seems like this is a specific issue with the Sauber. Other cars get a barrier collision penalty. Not looking good

Nations Cup - BMB Infield B Gr.1
e82imjH.jpg

Qualifying was a nightmare, as traffic ruined most of my laps. Starting 12th, I resigned myself to running a practice race and strapped on Mediums.

Strategy: 13M-16S, BB +5

The first few laps was complete mayhem as everyone in the midfield tripped over each other. I was forced to go 3-wide into Turn 4 on lap 1, with the Nissan on the outside coming off worst as he hit the wall, while I came out 2 positions ahead.

c63vkCd.jpg

Mistakes and penalties allowed me to sail through the pack, and I had another close encounter at Turn 4 with a different Nissan recovering from a track penalty from Turn 1, forcing me to go round the outside to take his place.
X4qyxUv.jpg

ug18tHO.jpg

By the end of lap 5, I had made up 6 places to claim 6th. However, I was trapped in no man's land, as I was too far from the top 5 to hitch a tow. Fortunately for me, someone ahead of me had clearly made his car choice solely from a glance at the TT leaderboard, and he was now paying a heavy price for it.

Yessiree, someone was gullible enough to bring a GT-R Nismo to a tyre wear race, and now he had to deal with his front tyres going off a cliff while 4th and 5th were bearing down on him. The ensuring fight allowed me to catch up just as the Longboi dropped to 5th out of turn 1 on lap 9. One lap later, I dove up the inside into turn 1, just as the Longboi discovered another key weakness of the FF layout:

A7yCrBY.jpg
vWV8SUh.jpg

I was now up to 5th, but two unscheduled meetings with the wall at turn 4 allowed 3rd and 4th to escape well out of my slipstream range. With a worn set of Mediums that I was losing trust in and someone deciding to pit on lap 12, I decided to make an undercut and pit on lap 13, hoping that the fighting between 3rd and 4th would put me ahead after everyone had served their stops.

The strategy worked like a charm, promoting me to 3rd on lap 18. However, a Nissan in Toyota colours had pitted one lap after me and was hot on my tail, looking to retake 3rd place. A bad exit out of turn 4 allowed the faux-Toyota to close the gap and dive up the inside into turn 1, taking 3rd from me. However, I was not willing to let the podium go without a fight. I chased my rival and made multiple dives up the inside into turn 1, to no avail. I even had a couple of close encounters with him at turn 4 when he braked earlier than I expected.
SktT54k.jpg
uWszEBR.jpg
kwNLq6U.jpg
qhJTDco.jpg

His early braking into turn 4, combined with the fact that I was able to get back into his slipstream in just one lap after I had hit the wall on lap 23, made me suspect that he was on Mediums. In reality, he was on Softs that were 1 lap fresher than mine. His collision with Turn 4's wall on lap 25 allowed me to finally take back 3rd into turn 1.

aKODsnH.jpg

The faux-Toyota then proceeds to forget that slipstream is a thing, resulting in him braking too late and sending me into the wall.
O6fuE85.jpg

The resulting 3 second penalty demoted him to 5th and ended our battle, allowing me to take the last step of the podium for 147 points.
0mTekyt.jpg
K2DhjS8.jpg
YC2QEkU.jpg

Suffice to say, I did far, far better than I expected. One and done.

Here's the video of my race. I also posted the replay on my GT profile.

Sounds like a very exciting race! Glad you were able to recover from your terrible qualifying.
Times in EU have dropped under the 38s. All of them with wallriding which doesn't seem to be penalized
How do you even wall-ride and go faster here? The way these turns are set up, the only way to even touch the wall is on the very exit of T1 and T4. Trying to wall-ride T1 puts you through the grass, and T4 would cause you to meet the joining of the infield and oval walls at a very sharp angle.

Sounds like a very exciting race! Glad you were able to recover from your terrible qualifying.
How do you even wall-ride and go faster here? The way these turns are set up, the only way to even touch the wall is on the very exit of T1 and T4. Trying to wall-ride T1 puts you through the grass, and T4 would cause you to meet the joining of the infield and oval walls at a very sharp angle.
Slight touch in T1 for better cornering and full on riding in the oval entrance in 3rd gear to exit at about 180km/h. Did a 38.1 (PB was 39.4 in the Hawk). Will try to do it in the race too. PD needs to know somehow

Last edited:
It's at turn 4. I can fairly easily come out of it doing the same speed I'd be doing taking the corner normally, so if you're still turning left you should avoid the worst of the bump.

Yep... was excited for this race (would have been my first nations and first Gr 1.) but having seen the top 10 TT I doubt it has any use since all ride the wall like crazy and get away with it. No penalties no damage... That's not a race...

Or are things different in the race itself?

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210324163506.jpg

Qualified 7th with no slip. Ended up closing in on 4th and fighting with 5th in the final laps but I had pitted a bit early and obviously couldn't handle the Sauber ahead of me in slip. Managed this result despite getting two 1 second penalties for being hit by a guy at turn 4 then going into the back of someone who locked up and skidded through turn 1 two laps later. I was as low as 18th after that.

I think if I went in the Nissan I could win this race - if I hadn't been smacked about so much I could have come close in the Peugeot - but I'm not risking running that again. A very angry race all round.

Last edited:
Utter disaster, Q13 as on my best potential lap I was bumped into from behind at T4. Several penalties because cars were driving erratically and I couldn't avoid them mid T1. Driven into a wall twice. Somehow came home P12. Definitely going again as I can do so much better

Can confirm that wallriding works in the races too unfortunately. Hopefully PD will address this for next season.
I'm watching the guy who was leading my race right now. Sometimes he's getting one, sometimes he isn't. I think it depends on the speed/angle you first hit the wall at, because he isn't getting them on laps where he's been slowed down by the penalty from the lap before.

Ed - ironically he ended up getting a penalty after going too deep at turn 1 and hitting the armco past the grass there. Great game, this.

Last edited:
Did someone (other than you) actually do it? Do you have the vid?

Me and another person did it in qualifying. None did it in the race.

I'm watching the guy who was leading my race right now. Sometimes he's getting one, sometimes he isn't. I think it depends on the speed/angle you first hit the wall at, because he isn't getting them on laps where he's been slowed down by the penalty from the lap before.

It's very hard to get a penalty honestly. You have to hit the wall at a very acute angle

Last edited:
What a joke... Why PD turn penaltys off so idiots are now FP S??? Spanish guy hit me 2 times ruining my race, no penalty, he finished 10th, starting from 18th? Just pushed cars on his way, no penalty

I see there is scheduled maintenance for tomorrow. Based on recent history, I wonder if we're about to get the penalty system taken all the way to the extreme end.

Did someone (other than you) actually do it? Do you have the vid?
I was in the same lobby as @Elusion428 and have put up the replay of our session on my GT Sport Gallery. Can assure you after reviewing it a few times that I did not wallride during any of my qualifying laps (including the first (39.556) which put me on provisional pole). 👍

Previous system was too harsh, new system is too lenient. They should penalize heavy contact or contact that leads to the other car going off or crashing but they should not penalize very light touches in key corners like in Monza, Bathurst etc.

I was in the same lobby as @Elusion428 and have put up the replay of our session on my GT Sport Gallery. Can assure you after reviewing it a few times that I did not wallride during any of my qualifying laps (including the first (39.556) which put me on provisional pole). 👍

I know you didn't. I was referring to myself and the Belgian dude in Q. You had excellent pace in the race. Well deserved win.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion "old" was better beacause people tried to avoid any contact

I’ll take the new system any day, stuff like this never happens now.

Prime examples of the old system, how can you race like this?

We’re gonna get hit by dirty drivers no matter what, and they rarely got penalized before either. At least now we don’t ALSO get a penalty when getting hit. The PS has never been able to penalize the correct car.

Last edited:
It's super hard to almost impossible to create a perfect penalty system because the human factor and the circumstances around it are always very high. An automated algorithm can't detect reactionary behavior (trying to avoid a spinning car, falling victim to brake checking etc.) They should either give reprimands (with 3 of them resulting in a heavy penalty) or make things more even. I'm pretty sure we'll see alot of experimenting before the next season commences and tomorrow's update is a great chance to see in which direction they're heading.

Back