2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Rounds 1, 2 and probably 6 all seem to be rehashes of previous rounds from the previous Supra Cup and Nations Cup rounds. Come on, PD. Really?

The other rounds are interesting, though. SF19 at Suzuka, the wildcard 2000GT at the Green Hell 24H and the final round with the new GR86 at Bathurst. Interlagos is probably going to be a nightmare for me, based on my results at that track.

In the sixth and final round of the Manufacturers Series - 2021 Manufacturers Series - Season 1, which was also my third, I had finished in seventh. My final total points I had for the season was 74. Now I'm off to the season finale of the Nations Cup.

I haven't fully analysed the new format but I think an unintended consequence of the manufacturer series format is we'll have the same 12 manufacturers for the whole year in the world series/showdown/finals, I'll try to fully explain it later when I really unpack the whole year's format. (Or prove it wrong in the hopes that other manus get some love)

Last edited:
First 2 slots in the Genesis: twice last on the grid because I couldn't find a slipstream partner -> 16th and 19th at the end -> 3000 DR lost -> worst races ever (as far as I can remember) both in terms of pace and driving standards -> see you in a few weeks in the official season (with a different manu :lol:), hopefully with a Penalty System update.

I have to quote myself here just to tell how dumb I am :lol:

I noticed only today that I had been running with ABS weak on Saturday because I forgot to change it back to Default after the dirt races. Wish I could turn back time now :yuck:

Last edited:
The championship format is needlessly complicated IMO. It makes it hard for the casual viewer to follow if every World Series event have different drivers. It doesn't even feel like a cohesive championship from start to finish. It seems like PD took inspiration from the NASCAR playoff system.

Still disappointing that it's only 12 manus (effectively 10 because 2 guaranteed) that goes to the finals as well. Since it's online and there are no more budget considerations with flying people all over the world, why not make it 16? Or even all 25 with 2 elimination style races to get the field down to final 12?

Six months with the same manu is a big commitment as well. I've said this before but there should be an option to switch midway, with caveat that you forfeit all points earned in previous round. EDIT: As mentioned below, the points don't even carry over between seasons. So all the more reason for PD to allow us to switch.

The change of Star Player requirements is a good thing, they won't be handed out like peanuts now. On the other hand, bye-bye my 11 seasons S/S streak :lol:

Last edited:
That came upon discussion before, about seeing different drivers at final events. Maybe PD read some complaints or suggestions about mixing up the contenders.

Six months with the same manu is a big commitment as well. I've said this before but there should be an option to switch midway, with caveat that you forfeit all points earned in previous round.
Points earned in Season 1 (first 10 races) won't be carried over to Season 2 anyway, so this rule only makes sense for players aiming for the WT, really representing a brand. For 99.9% of the playerbase, it's completely stupid (imo). Not to mention the usual mid-season BoP update that potentially kills your cars...

Source:
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 14.09.33.png

Last edited:
The other rounds are interesting, though. SF19 at Suzuka, the wildcard 2000GT at the Green Hell 24H and the final round with the new GR86 at Bathurst. Interlagos is probably going to be a nightmare for me, based on my results at that track.

Hi, can you link calendar? Cant find it anywhere, or Im just stupid:)

Hi, can you link calendar? Cant find it anywhere, or Im just stupid:)
That's the Toyota/Supra Cup, not Nations or Manu: Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Returns for 2021 With a New Name and New Cars (gtplanet.net)

===========

On the subject of the new seasons - I'm still going to race, I'm still going to drive for Nissan in Manu, I'm still going to cherish the S I had and the S I should have had, and I'm still going to try desperately to get a 200 point result. Bring it on.

Last edited:
No particular brand golf club or golf ball Pigems likes to play with?

I use Titleist clubs mostly, but only because I’m left handed and only a couple companies make full lines in LH. No real preference though other than the ProV1 balls. But I like those for the green side spin, not the brand. :)

Last edited:
From growing up at the drag strip with fox bodies and cobras to working on farm trucks and diesels with my dad and brothers it's special bond I can't really explain.

Don't get me wrong I've driven other brands. Most recently my buddies c7 grand sport which I've ragged on plenty, lol. I enjoy cars in general but I love my Fords.

In the oilfield we torture tested everything and Ford always came out on top.

Last edited:
From growing up at the drag strip with fox bodies and cobras to working on farm trucks and diesels with my dad and brothers it's special bond I can't really explain.
When I was young my father and I would a 302 crank and cam into a 289 to save the center main journals, also 428 parts in a 390, which was my favorite. It's the same stuff Tasca was doing out in Rhode Island at the time. The 7 '67 Galaxies I had all had that 390 in it except the convertable which got a 428 SCJ.

I suppose I might as well join the people who've looked back at their Manufacturer season. In terms of DR and average points per contributing race, this is by far my best to date. No S rank, but it seems like the competitiveness for that across all manufacturers has skyrocketed over the last couple of seasons and Mazda is much more popular than Mitsubishi! With that in mind, coming 24th for Mazda in EMEA? Very happy with that.

upload_2021-4-6_17-23-46.png

I've been kicking myself the whole season though, due to this:
I'm going full-on Mazda Atenza for this short season, primarily from testing random Gr.3 cars from manufacturers I haven't played before to find one I can sort of handle in the wet. It's probably not going to serve me well for a grid start, but meh. I guess I'll also find out how bad the Gr.4 Atenza is. (I believe Famine dubbed it a "rotting dog wang" a few pages back? :lol:)
Never go full Atenza. At least not right now. I had no idea the VGT was considered so strong when the season began, completely missed the memo on that one. I think I tried using it previously for a Nations race at Catalunya and found it a bit too tail-happy for my liking with the way I drive, so I immediately discounted it after just a few laps. When I locked in and then discovered it was considered one of the most OP Group 3 cars following the BOP changes... oh dear. I guess I did Mazda hard mode. ;)

The win at Bathurst was completely unexpected, especially with that being the second highest scoring lobby I'd ever been in at the time. When free practice first rolled around for that after Spa it took me about 20-30 minutes to do a lap without binning it at the top of the mountain or screwing up the downhill, no lie. I also can't help but feel like I've put myself right in the crossfire of the lasting debate of whether the Nissan or Mazda Gr.4 is worse that @Famine and @stpatty have been having by pulling that off with stpatty in the race. :lol:

The win was also a welcome pick-up for both me and my dad, as my mum passed away back in late February. Coming away from a race feeling that exhilarated did wonders for my mood as I had not long returned to work from bereavement leave and had been struggling. My Glasgow Rangers liveries this season were dedicated to my dad who has some interest in motorsports; primarily F1 but he also enjoyed watching the GT Sport world finals when I introduced him to that a couple of years ago. He likes watching my races from time to time, so seeing one on top of the podium with the victory screen was a happy distraction for him too.

I'm definitely taking a break from the 4WD Group 4s for a while now and considering Chevrolet for the main 2021 season as I haven't done that one before and it's back into my normal comfort zone of FR power cars. The stability 4WDs have is nice but they just feel so stiff when trying to get the car to rotate, especially once the tyres start to go.

Now I just have to see how I fare now that my DR is in the upper half of A for the first time after Tokyo Expressway. I still remember going crazy when I managed to score 100 points from an FIA race for the first time, and now here I am in the DR range where lobbies could potentially offer double that. :D

Last edited:
Back