2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
...The latter probably ~is more realistic, though I wonder if the severity of the battery draw is somewhat 'overplayed' in the game, making it a bit more drastic than real life. But a controlled boost button isn't realistic at all and shouldn't be something the game offers, either.
I'm just thinking along the lines of how F1 cars harvest battery at the end of the straights. While their foot is flat to the floor they'll lose speed as the battery is charging, it's effectively what we're doing by riding the brakes (unless you use a DS4 with the sticks for acceleration and braking in which case it's impossible to do). Think a manual control to harvest energy - or even to cut the hybrid out early to save energy that way - would be a good workaround for what we have

(I'm not talking manual hybrid deployment at all - if that's what you were thinking when you mentioned 'boost button')

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how the car performs in real life. I guess they tried to match it a close a possible. How does the W08 handle it's battery?
No idea! Never driven it in the game. Think it's basically to do with whatever settings they have on the car at the time in real life. In qualy mode you won't get the harvesting at the end of the straights but in the race those red lights are always flashing heading towards the braking zones

Looking around a little it appears that iRacing has a manual option for the hybrids, and it seems that option manually cuts the hybrid out. Get it in! Assign it to the overtake button, can just cut your battery out a little earlier than it normally would

(Although being gamers, we'd probably start doing that as well as riding the brakes!)

Last edited:
In real life, F1 cars have track specific ERS maps. So the car “knows” where it is and when it is to deploy the battery and when to harvest. There are a number of maps, anywhere up to 12 I think, when I last worked there. 1 was normally full charge/harvest and 2 was normally full qualy mode (easy to flick between 1 and 2 at the start/end of a Qualy lap). With 3,4,5 etc getting slower (more harvest, less deploy) the lower you went. 6/7 was “race” I think. You had variations above and below this of “race save” and “race plus”.. The drivers usually have an override button (Overtake) for short bursts of energy deployment. We were limited to the amount of absolute full Qual mode (both ICE and ERS) over a race weekend. Sometimes that would be less than 6 laps I think, all weekend long.

In all, the actual F1 game replicated that quite well - albeit simpler with less modes. I would like to see GT have more customisation over hybrid aspects, I wish they had a similar feature for the hybrids in GTS, but it’s on my wish list for GT7.

Last edited:
just a boost button...when it runs out it's gone

:lol:

No, he was talking about the Mercedes F1 car. Super Formula is just an ECU power boost.

The Merc just regen's like the prototypes. Just a bit more quickly.

Though, it's that only the Audi that seems to be affected by the poor regen that is odd. Pretty certain the actual car wasn't like that.

Last edited:
Done some practice on Fuji, only a second off the top. Looking good.

Followed Tsutsu's ghost around for a few laps.

The day before, I tested the tyre wear and fuel consumption in a custom race, seems like lap 8 is a good pit window when starting on softs. Refuelled to 80% IIRC. Good idea to save fuel when possible.

D91d1m9.png

9AK3jU9.png

Tip about the SF race. Be careful with the boost. You can over rev the engine, but careful when you use the big button of fun. Does burn fuel pretty quickly.

Edit: after some more runs, my bit on fuel could be wrong. Even with using only half the boost for the first 12 laps, I’m getting a half of a lap or more of fuel needed on the stop for mediums.

I still think over revving the engine isn’t the issue. Wouldn’t hurt to cut back, but the boost button is your drunk uncle on Christmas thirsty.

These have been all the runs I’ve done in Arcade Mode so far:

19:48
19:42
19:47 fuel taken
19:41
19:45
19:52 fuel taken
19:47 fuel take
19:46 fuel taken
19:43 fuel taken

Last edited:
On the hybrid regen thing, don't get why we can't just press the overtake button going down a straight to get the battery to harvest extra energy at the cost of some power. Might not be accurate to real life but then neither is riding the brakes into every braking zone

The 919 already does this, that's why it's the slowest out of the 3 hybrids, because the system is designed to maintain max battery charge at all times at the cost of outright speed.

Just drive the 3 cars and pay attention to the battery indicator:

R18 - depletes battery the quickest, but only charges when you're pressing brakes.

TS050 - moderate depletion (the rate slows as you near 250 km/h), and charges when braking + off throttle.

919 - most gentle depletion (barely discharges near 250 km/h), and charges when braking + off throttle + on throttle above 250 km/h (it uses the heat energy from the turbo, just like F1's MGU-H).

In real life the Porsche is the most successful car so the game isn't accurate by any means. I suspect PD just wants 3 different feeling cars and stuck each in different modes (R18 quali, 919 race, Toyota somewhere in between). Whereas IRL the engineers and drivers will be able to switch modes to suit the conditions. Same goes with the Mercedes F1, it's permanently stuck in one mode whereas real life it would've close to a dozen modes.

I don't know about the Codies F1 games but as I mentioned in previous page, Assetto has one of the most detailed hybrid options in any game I played. It's probably not realistic to expect this level in GT because you don't have enough buttons on a controller, but a simple switch like the fuel map dial would be more than enough. Currently the R18 is meta in hotlapping, Toyota in race and Porsche is just useless.

Last edited:
Been doing some practice races for tonight at Fuji, I can easily do a 12 lap stint on the softs with BB at +2 in the Lexus. Hoping to avoid the lap 1 carnage then see where I am and plan accordingly. I'm hoping that consistency works for me as I'm no super fast (1:38.5 is my best in FP)

Happy racing all!

For everyone racing today, good luck and have fun. I joined some of you @Zorz @xxPinkyKissxx @OJBrit @VulcanSpirit (sorry if I left anyone out) and shared a few laps. When it hit me I have never done Fuji in a GR3 before! In the beginning of my online career some N races (Mazda, Porsche) and a few GR4 daylies spring to mind (Megane, C4) but never GR3.

I love that track. That last corner... how DO you get it right :dunce:

For everyone racing today, good luck and have fun. I joined some of you @Zorz @xxPinkyKissxx @OJBrit @VulcanSpirit (sorry if I left anyone out) and shared a few laps. When it hit me I have never done Fuji in a GR3 before! In the beginning of my online career some N races (Mazda, Porsche) and a few GR4 daylies spring to mind (Megane, C4) but never GR3.

I think you just have to accept you're pretty much always braking in the wrong direction :scared:

Better late than never. I like Spa and Gr1 but I went with the R18 instead of the TS050. Big mistake, serves me right for being a sheep and not going with my gut instincts. And later I found out there's a battery trick .... ffs. Anyways, Oceania slot 1 B/S lobby, door number 7. Qualified p10. Running a no-stop on hards, I got passed everywhere, running p8 for most of the race until a few pitted and up to p5 momentarily until I got passed by the Toyota's again and back to p8. Someone lost it on the exit of the bus stop on last lap and elevated to p7. 84 points and my DR continues it's steady climb to an 'A' rating. :odd: Never driving that P.o.s R18 again, I know now why my TS050 has over 5000 k's on clock. Anyways, looking forward to tonight's race and Saturday's Nations Cup. Good luck all.
20210502173743.jpg
Gran Turismo™SPORT_20210501171445.jpg
20210419214513.jpg
20210429143325.jpg

Did he ever start qualifying? Even asking in French did not work.
Panasonic is a great corner. I now go for the wide entry and sweep to the apex line and it works so well. Just watch out for idiots up the inside.
I feel like I have a lot more time to find here but the car was feeling extra murderous yesterday. I may have to play safe tonight.

Panasonic is a great corner. I now go for the wide entry and sweep to the apex line and it works so well. Just watch out for idiots up the inside.
I feel like I have a lot more time to find here but the car was feeling extra murderous yesterday. I may have to play safe tonight.
He eventually left and the new room owner started qualifying immediately. I had to abort the race after a few laps as i had plugged the PS into a different TV and i was getting a weird half a second lag between my inputs and what was happening on the screen! :lol:

Ah, nothing lost then. If anyone's wondering why I joined and left a couple of times, it's because I was really, really struggling with the cone marker ban that lobby host had imposed. I don't actually need them at most turns/tracks, but I leave them on just because extra references helps with judging braking distances when under slipstream etc. Fuji's one of the exceptions as I find spotting the board at turn 1 very difficult. :ouch: I'd disappeared off to try to remind myself what I'm looking for.

Definitely playing it safe tonight as well. The Citroen's loose back end is still something I'm trying to learn to keep under control. I think I'm slowly getting the hang of layering a little bit of throttle whilst braking to keep things stable through the slow corners, but the kerbs still feel like they're pure death.

You don't drive like that? :confused:
Quite unnerving hitting the brake at the end of the straight and the car still travelling full speed for half a second! :eek:

Not holding much hope for the race tonight. Can't keep the tire wear down enough on the Vette and losing a lot of time at the end of each stint. If i was sensible i'd skip this race, but i've realised that this race and Le Mans are the only races i can enter using the Gr.3 car (after missing Catalunya too) and that was the main reason i picked Corvette, for the Gr.3 car. doh!

Last edited:
Fuji's one of the exceptions as I find spotting the board at turn 1 very difficult..
As soon as I jumped into practice I shouted internally 'I hate this time of day!'. The sun is right into TGR and the boards are invisible. It took me a couple of laps to find my marker and it's what tidgney is using for the daily. Just before you reach the first grandstand.

Care to share what this line looks like? I'm trying to work out if that's the line I always use (which never really works in races...)
I can't right now as I'm in work. Shhhh!!!!
By the time I could share the FIA's will be in full stream. Essentially brake straight as possible. Careful as the strip of grass approaches. Once you have finished braking turn back towards the apex. You should then have a shallower line out and be able to apply more throttle.
I am by no means a master of it, but I have had less incidents since I have changed to it.

As soon as I jumped into practice I shouted internally 'I hate this time of day!'. The sun is right into TGR and the boards are invisible. It took me a couple of laps to find my marker and it's what tidgney is using for the daily. Just before you reach the first grandstand.
I never would have thought to use the grandstand. I was focused on trying to read the number boards on the fence. :dunce: That works absolutely spot on though - thank you! :cheers:

Im finding that the braking point for this combo moves around a lot more than usual with different tires/wear.
I normally use the double cones as a braking reference, but trying to get away that from since since they are prone to being obliterated.

EA4A8D9A-19A6-428B-B4B7-7479B85DBB92.jpeg

Disappointing end to what I thought was going really well :lol:

Qualified 8th and started on Mediums. 1st and 2nd took each other out at turn 2 on the second lap and I managed to pass a couple of others and was running 4th. 2 others on Softs pitted leaving me running 2nd. Felt like I was in a good position to finish strongly. Probably lost more time than others refuelling as it’s a thirsty car. Came out just behind a group in 9th. Then I managed to get three 1 second penalties in the remaining laps for slight taps of cars in front going round corners which just ruined any hope of moving up the field. 👎

Back