2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
Yeah, 🤬 finally!

Americas Slot 2, door 10. Qualified P6 on a 37.8 without slipstream, not perfect but a decent lap.

Decided to start on softs. Gained a few places on the first lap. Then decided to play it smart and work together with the guys ahead, sit in the slipstream and save both tyres and fuel, both of which I was struggling with during testing with the Jag. The leader appeared not to be saving anything. One guy went for a move and bumped me wide but decided not to alter my plan and worked together with him.

Thanks to saving in the slip, managed to get to lap 10 on the softs with no issues, maybe could have done one more lap but the guy ahead went in, so I didn't want to risk losing the slipstream and decided to do the same.

After everyone pitted, I was in P4 on mediums, just behind an Aston and Porsche ahead. The leader meanwhile started to check out, more on that later...

The Porsche eventually lost the slipstream to the Aston, giving me an easy overtake down the main straight, he didn't defend it. Unfortunately, I couldn't get back in the Aston's slip, but managed to get up to P2 after he made a mistake in the final corner. Had to keep an eye on them as I nursed tyres and fuel to the end, but then they appeared to make contact with each other and I was easily able to pull away.

With the leader many seconds ahead, I happily went on to take a 2nd pl..... NO! I went on to take a completely unexpected victory!! :) It turns out the reason the leader checked out so easily was that he was on a quick (but illegal) soft/soft strategy, and a 1 minute penalty was waiting for him at the end of the race. Sorry for him, would have rather crossed the line 1st myself, but I'll take it! :lol:

Points weren't great as my DR is still lower in this account compared to the one I used last year, but it was my first FIA win since the last round of the official 2020 Nations Cup back in August. Also, that was my first ever race with the Gr.3 F-type. :cheers:

PS_App_20210506_011727.jpeg

Last edited:
View media item 73635
2020 Americas slot. C/S lobby. Door 13. Q1. (... wut?!) First pole? First Pole!!!

So i did my usual "imma wait 30 seconds and then qualify" and it somehow pulled off.

View media item 73640
My lead lasted until turn one, I wasnt used to the cornering from the pole, went a little slow around Daiichi and *BAM* Q3 in a bright yellow Corvette spins me out and he gets a penalty. He went FLYING off the track several seconds later in Turn 3 through no fault of anyone else but his own, he drops to 19th. (More from him in a bit.)

I drop to 10th on lap 1, fall back as far as 13th in Sector 3 and then we the climb up Mount "Why didn't I start on Soft Tires?" I practiced and ran on a 12RM/8RS strategy. Probably should have changed it up but I went with what i was comfortable with in practice. Spent 2/3rds behind a very nice chap in a GTR (who pulled a great move later in the race on me on lap 18 in Turn 1)

View media item 73639
Flash forward to lap 5, I've crawled up to 8th and I'm just going to run my race and focus on clean driving. Sector 3, Panasonic corner onto the straightaway and guess who's back? Yellow Corvette Dude! I have a red Ferrari (who is having a real bad time in sector 3) to my left so I slow to not run the guy off the track, i brake shallow to give the gun the outside and I get nicely punted by the 'Vett. He picked up another 2s in penalties. I slipstream him down the front straight into 1 taking the inside line and he drives right into me AGAIN. I Hold my line going through 100R and drive a clean line through the hairpin at Turn 6 and he punts me YET AGAIN for another 2s penalty. Dude got a grand total of 6s in penalties off my car in six laps. HOLY WOW. (I looked him up, his sportsmanship dropped to an A and his DR dropped by 2/3rds from the rage quit)

Things were uneventful after that. Stayed 8th/9th and picked up 4th on the pit stop cycle on 11, went in myself on 12. Switched to softs.Dropped to 10th after the stops. Some bad luck as 8th and 9th came up in me super fast as i left the pits. Let them pass. Got passed them quick. Got up to 7th, picked up a DUMB track limits penalty on 18 (I undercut turn 3), fell back to 7th, and pushed until I finished 6th. Bumped up to fifth because of tire restrictions.

View media item 73638View media item 73637
I'll take my points thats it for the night.

View media item 73636
Yeah, 🤬 finally!

Americas Slot 2, door 10. Qualified P6 on a 37.8 without slipstream, not perfect but a decent lap.

Decided to start on softs. Gained a few places on the first lap. Then decided to play it smart and work together with the guys ahead, sit in the slipstream and save both tyres and fuel, both of which I was struggling with during testing with the Jag. The leader appeared not to be saving anything. One guy went for a move and bumped me wide but decided not to alter my plan and worked together with him.

Thanks to saving in the slip, managed to get to lap 10 on the softs with no issues, maybe could have done one more lap but the guy ahead went in, so I didn't want to risk losing the slipstream and decided to do the same.

After everyone pitted, I was in P4 on mediums, just behind an Aston and Porsche ahead. The leader meanwhile started to check out, more on that later...

The Porsche eventually lost the slipstream to the Aston, giving me an easy overtake down the main straight, he didn't defend it. Unfortunately, I couldn't get back in the Aston's slip, but managed to get up to P2 after he made a mistake in the final corner. Had to keep an eye on them as I nursed tyres and fuel to the end, but then they appeared to make contact with each other and I was easily able to pull away.

With the leader many seconds ahead, I happily went on to take a 2nd pl..... NO! I went on to take a completely unexpected victory!! :) It turns out the reason the leader checked out so easily was that he was on a quick (but illegal) soft/soft strategy, and a 1 minute penalty was waiting for him at the end of the race. Sorry for him, would have rather crossed the line 1st myself, but I'll take it! :lol:

Points weren't great as my DR is still lower in this account compared to the one I used last year, but it was my first FIA win since the last round of the official 2020 Nations Cup back in August. Also, that was my first ever race with the Gr.3 F-type. :cheers:

View attachment 1009189

Congratulations!!!! Heck yeah!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried to do Slot 2 with @Jwptexas and @Roman_GT23, then when the race started I was the only car on my screen to even move, so I knew what was coming...disconnect...:rolleyes::banghead:🤬

Probably lucky you missed that one it was pretty ridiculous with the lag... congratulations to @Roman_GT23 on the win he deserved it. I just couldn't pull away with his car driving inside of mine :banghead:

Lag & lag & more lag
Slot 1
Same room with @ZiggyS80 , tried to qualify with slip, bad idea as the lag was so bad I couldn’t tell where the car infront was, messed up my lap and i only managed 13th, race was unenjoyable , cars jumping all over the place but knowing I could’ve had pole if i went qualy by myself,it didn’t really matter anymore so i cruised to the flag , got 10th

2nd slot,
Waited for everyone to get out first so i could have the whole road by myself, first run got 5th, second run i had purple first 2 sectors but thanks to tire wear i messed up s3 and only improved by 0.040 but that was enough to jump to 3rd as it was really close between us all,

1st and myself started on softs, 2nd started on mediums , cold tires got him as he ran wide at turn 3 and i got by , quickly got slip of 1st , worked together and pulled a nice 6s gap, curb glitch almost got me but i kept it together and 1st got away by 2s just like that, from there i could maintain the gap but couldn’t really get close to him again, lap 10 we both pitted and from there i had to really push so a soft runner behind wouldn’t catch me, he closed the gap from 7s to 1s but i managed to held on to my spot:cheers:
Looking at the schedule, manu looks way fun thn Nations but lag makes it unenjoyable really, :confused:

Last edited:
Dang, you were rapid the other night too.
Don't worry, next slot went much better! đź‘Ť Started and finished 5th, and thought I'd have a podium for several laps before being caught by those who had Softs for their 2nd stint. I was hoping for at least 220 points and got 231, so I'm satisfied. I'd qualified 17th after messing up both of my laps in the race I got disconnect from, so aside from the DR hit, it wasn't much of a loss, since I'd probably have to go again anyway.
Meh. Start lag so P17-20 started 10s behind or more then I spun and killed a Vantage. I went from P20 to P14. 126 points!

The Ferrari is great in TT on Fuji but RM full fuel wasn’t fun!
Sorry about that! Glad you were still able to make up places at least. Also nice to meet yet another GTP member!
Probably lucky you missed that one it was pretty ridiculous with the lag... congratulations to @Roman_GT23 on the win he deserved it. I just couldn't pull away with his car driving inside of mine :banghead:
The next slot was actually much better in terms of lag, but I still almost got spun when someone tried to pass me due to lag, and I saw quite a few uncharacteristically aggressive moves that I think might've been due to cars being in different locations for different players.

Last edited:
Bad news. Broke my T3PAs trying to replace the springs. Never got to try out the new ones I had bought.

Good news. New pedal set comes Friday. Also have a good reason not to drive the GT-R around Fuji and finish dead last. It's almost like the racing gods did me a favor.
Given how a lot of our nights have gone, the game might not have even let you get that far if you'd raced...

Just tried to do Slot 2 with @Jwptexas and @Roman_GT23, then when the race started I was the only car on my screen to even move, so I knew what was coming...disconnect...:rolleyes::banghead:🤬

I was wondering what happened. I had a few friends too being disconnected. Even PXCam on his live stream got DCd and it looked like he was fed up already he just called it an early night.

Thanks man. You equally deserved the win. You were fast from the off and when you broke the draft from me put me in a tight spot to either rev it out to try to catch you or just fuel save and save my stuff for the end.

My night was a tale of two halves. The first slot I got braked checked by a Brazilian but he said it was lag, meh whatever. I was starting 7th but while messaging about the brake check I forgot it o switch from the softs to meds. Not a big deal as I could work my way through the field and perhaps set myself up for the end game on meds. However going down into the hairpin I had such a run and the grip I had to take the chance on 3 wide. I had passed both and established position but then making the left turn I got tapped in the rear and got spun. Then I got help up my slower people that just insisted on fighting me way too hard. Ended 12th at the end but was still fuming, especially since I've raced with a bunch of people from this team and never had an incident or mishap. So for now I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt. But was still disappointed.

Onto slot 2 where I was channeling my anger into horsepower and grip. I finally got the tow in qualy and did a 36.8 it was looking like it was going to be good for pole but then @Jwptexas got me right at the end. I wasn't too bummed as I would have a drafting partner and be able to save fuel. I was hoping he was also going to start on softs so we can check out from the field. However I lost his draft pretty early so I couldn't bump draft him to build a big gap. I stayed out an extra lap seeing that I still felt the car under me, but my in lap was really scruffy and it negated any fuel save or chance for an over cut. At this point I was mentally settled for second, but I had another brazilian just outside draft range. From prior experience I knew 9/10 they would take the position at any costs so I kept him behind. Then I guess jwps tires started going off and I finally got his draft. With two laps to go and the brazilian right there I made the move for the lead and didn't look back. Unlucky for jwp as it looked like some drama happened between you, the brazilian and a Canadian and wound up losing 2nd. But 274 was huge for me. I think the highest points I've scored in a long long time!

Bad news - lag was still bad. Good news - I spent very little time near anyone.

In a C/S lobby as I rank up this account. Qualified 4th, trying to avoid laggers and general carnage. The PB from practice about 5 min earlier would have been a comfortable pole. Decent start in that I hit a good braking point for turn 1 and got through cleanly in 4th. A mistake/lag from someone in front of me took out 2nd/3rd at the long right hander. Got after the leader and tried following him, but the lag made it impossible. Took the place into turn 1 lap 4. Put a couple of seconds on him and worked on smooth driving to preserve the softs. Pitted lap 9 and came back out 4th, who nearly took me out exiting turn one. He put up a fight for a lap, before pitting along with the other two guys.
Despite a brain fart on lap 14 costing me 4 seconds, I was able to bring home the win by 3 sec. Happy with that, but it was still only 37 points.

I had 1 red bar at this point and the Brazilian Mercedes had 5 green. In the replays, we were both all over the place, somehow ended up merged together, but neither of us seemed to have any contact (or a penalty).

Pretty much impossible to race this way, and pretty much impossible to take this "competition" seriously anymore. :(

20210505232801.jpg

20210505232752.jpg

I had 1 red bar at this point and the Brazilian Mercedes had 5 green. In the replays, we were both all over the place, somehow ended up merged together, but neither of us seemed to have any contact (or a penalty).

Pretty much impossible to race this way, and pretty much impossible to take this "competition" seriously anymore. :(

View attachment 1009198

View attachment 1009199

I.... I didn’t know you could mate a Jaguar and a Mercedes.

I was nearly going to give the race a miss even though I did get in some good practice the past few days and sorted out some of the crap lines I was taking at Fiji. Ran just one race on main-acc in the Porsche.

Qualified 6th, 1.39.5 and was .6 up on 2nd lap when a guy who was running slow on the right approaching the chicane with me closing fast decided to move on to the racing line just before I caught him and I had to take a tighter line ans lost all the gains. He qualified 18th, and guess he bought a car without mirrors.

Start was ok and cleared 1st corner in 5th with someone just missing my rear outbraking, 2 guys ahead lost it out of the corner and not sure if someone tapped me as haven't watched the replay yet. Down to last and on the mediums decided to run long and fuel save, unfortunately 1st car I caught ran me off the track passing him for 18th so you can guess how the rest of the race went. I overtook a guy in an RCZ after he rejoined from the pit stop and he took exception to been passed and was hellbent on trying to ram me at any chance, I had made it to 6th before my stop and was 11th when I rejoined with 5 cars just ahead all on mediums a d I was on softs. Started making ground until I caught my friend again and he started ramming me again and took me out again. I was going to return the favour but I guess he forgot to refuel and pitted a 2nd time just as I was about to pass him on the straight. Maybe when I watch the replay later I might know what his problem was.

Anyway finished 11th, slight dr down but could have been worse and just 1 track limit penalty at a new place for me on this track so will watch that next time. Overall I was disappointed as I know top 3 was realistic.

Race report

After doing testing I'd decided - and said to plenty of people - that fuel saving was not the way to go here. If you're at the front you want to push and get away, that was the fastest way from lights to flag. If you can save behind someone then little bits might help you in the stop but purposely saving was not the way to go for a fast finish time. I did however do a short test a few hours before the race, and knew what I might be able to produce if I bombed qualy and wanted to pull off a big undercut by not fuelling

So after a very mediocre qualifying where I did two 36.8s with plenty of mistakes which were only good enough for 6th. I chose to start on mediums, and to stretch the fuel out

L1 and we have a Honda two places ahead lose it on the exit of T2, promoting me up a place, the race actually calms down really quick. I have a WRX behind me on mediums eager to save fuel and two soft starters ahead pulling away - but a Honda ahead of them has started on mediums and within a few laps we had a trio of medium runners sat 4th-6th, one of the leading three ran off the track, promoting us all a place.

Closing in slowly on the Honda, another thing in my mind was I wasn't going to spend any time saving fuel in a slipstream, if I could go past I would and at the start of L9, which would be my in lap, I got a run on the Honda and made a neat move into T1 to take 3rd

PS_App_20210506_072539.jpeg

As I came to the end of my stint and entered the pits the gap to the leader was 6s, I knew that without adding fuel and a hot lap on softs, there was a chance to undercut anyone ahead by up to 6s. Pushed on my out lap, and the 6s deficit I had, got wiped out... just

PS_App_20210506_072547.jpeg

PS_App_20210506_072557.jpeg

PS_App_20210506_072606.jpeg

Now realising I had the advantage, I pushed to open up a gap on the soft tyres then went back into fuel saving mode, still stretching it out over the Jag in 2nd. The next eight laps were the longest laps I've ever driven! The Honda that had started on mediums briefly moved up to 2nd, just 2.7s back and with more fuel, but was almost immediately retaken, and then the WRX that had followed me for the first stint moved into 2nd, but by now the gap was 4s, and I just needed to get the car to the end without any mishaps

PS_App_20210506_072615.jpeg

First FIA win in over a year (only my second overall), first for Ferrari, first 300+ score, and all done at a track that I was atrocious at last time we were here

No apologies for the (crap) essay... it might be a while before I get to do another one!

Last edited:
Mixed fortunes on last night's race. Only had one attempt, the 9pm slot, and limited pre-race practice.

Entered the lobby ranked 19th! Lowest I've been ranked in a lobby in a long time, but bigger DR points to be had by my calculations. Qualifying was horrendous. Tried to follow a Z4 around for slipstream but just ended up fighting with him through the second half of the lap. so much slower than me! Then, flying lap I'd managed to get ahead of him and wanted to just run a clean solid lap (first lap was a poor 1:39:9...) but ended up running too deep into Dunlop and compromising my whole final sector, running an even worse lap time. Q15 in the end.

So, bearing in mind I was starting so far back, I chucked on the mediums with the intention of going long into the race on them, and lightening up the car as much as possible for the softs at the tail end of the race. Start was good. I kept over to the left on the first bend and watched a McLaren F1 who started behind me go flying through the inside and take out two other cars, all three of them getting penalties in the process, and me slipping into 13th, and up to 12th by the end of the lap by just keeping out of trouble.

My race was mainly quite clean, battling with an Aston Vantage for a number of laps and holding off an Audi R8 from behind, and found myself in P5 on lap 11 when I finally decided the mediums had had enough and it was time for a pace injection. This dropped me back to 14th, but I had so much more pace than many of the cars directly ahead on the track, and was up to 10th by lap 16, on a charge. I had a good battle with a rapid 911 on the final couple of laps but had to concede the place and follow in behind to keep in the slipstream. I had an RCZ on my tail who forced me to cut the inside of the chicane into sector 3, getting a 1s penalty, but he then picked up 0.5s and had a poor exit from the final turn, so I held my position against him. Just before the final turn, the Z4 from earlier who had ruined my first Q lap had karma dealt to him when he binned it and spun in front of me nearly taking out two other cars.

Entering the final lap I was sitting in 10th, trying to pursue the 911 and the two cars in front of him, and trying to hold off the RCZ who was sitting right on my tail. Fortunately, I pieced together a fairly solid lap, defending while making ground on the guys ahead who were squabbling for position. Coming into the first corner, **** must have hit the fan in the group of three ahead, because all of a sudden there were a bunch of flashing red boxes above them and I was barreling down on them with solid pace. I held my ground and stayed right on their tails the whole way through the lap, keeping the RCZ a decent distance behind, and came across the line in right behind the guys in front who had 2.0, 1.0, and 0.5s penalties, and managed to leapfrog all of them to take 7th place!

Slightly disappointed in myself for getting the 1s penalty earlier in the race, as I was 0.9s behind 6th place because of penalties, which would have been my best finish in the tournament and got me more points. 68 points, 1 off my season best so far.

So, now to start practicing at Le Mans, which is not a strong circuit for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a great race last night in my Merc. I started P6, which I was a little disappointed with. My first banker lap was a couple tenths down on my target and I didn't improve on my second flier. Nevertheless, it's possible to fight from P6 using the respectable top end in the Merc to attack (or defend). Tyre wear and fuel usage were ok, probably slightly worse than average, but not race breaking by any means.
The first half of the race was a flat out battle between the top 5. Generally very hard but very respectable racing. The second half of the race became a bit more lonely for all of us, I settled into P3 and just ran a consistent race after that. PRiMA_Ryan pulled away in the lead after the pit stops, taking full advantage of his alternative strategy and neither P2 nor myself could do anything about that.

Solid result in the end, albeit less points than anticipated (170)- due to these shenanigans temporarily ruining my stats, 20 mins before the FIA slot : PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Last edited:
All that practice paid off immensely as I qualified on pole position in an A+ lobby with a blistering 1:36.830 with no slipstream. A nice gap was created on the outlap between the lot infront and behind me, leaving me plenty of room to party.

I was very nervous... I knew I was gonna struggle with tire wear, confirmed after checking the replay...my tire management was by far the worst in the race. Motion controls are a real tire shredder, the AMG is not exactly great on tire wear anyway.

Overall, a very good race, Fuji is actually really enjoyable once you find a good line and rythm. Finished in 6th and I couldn't be happier, it's more than I expected. Won't enter the race again because I just know I'll do worse and ruin my points. :P

Full race:

Goodsmile Racing 2021 livery created by muteXG - link: https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gts...arLivery/livery/1129912/1/8008064319931581457

Good looking race, congrats!

I think you left a cone up on the exit of Panasonic, maybe next time?

Bad news. Broke my T3PAs trying to replace the springs. Never got to try out the new ones I had bought.

Good news. New pedal set comes Friday. Also have a good reason not to drive the GT-R around Fuji and finish dead last. It's almost like the racing gods did me a favor.

Oh no, what happened? How did they break?

With the significant number of disconnects, and the impossible lag that we experienced in N. America, it is getting to the point that if PD don't do something about the server strategy, we are going to have to really get noisy. It renders the game unplayable, and if it were not for the consequences of quitting, I think many of us that didn't get disconnected would have, because racing in close quarters against warping cars isn't at all a fun experience in 2021.

Poor NA players, just watching your vids makes me feel for you. That lag is terrible. And all this to spare them the cost of one server on Wednesdays... pff.

As for me, I'm still learning the Ford GT so the points are pretty meh but it's such a fun car, I love it!

And Le Mans should bring me the 1st decent result of the season, so I'm looking forward to it!

Last edited:
They know.

They just choose to do nothing about it.

I’m wondering if they cut the extra servers to save money, how much does it cost to run a server big enough to run NA or Oceana? Like, is it just a single server tower? Or a whole room, or an entire warehouse? I don’t know what it would take to run Sport Mode.

Last edited:
With the significant number of disconnects, and the impossible lag that we experienced in N. America, it is getting to the point that if PD don't do something about the server strategy, we are going to have to really get noisy. It renders the game unplayable, and if it were not for the consequences of quitting, I think many of us that didn't get disconnected would have, because racing in close quarters against warping cars isn't at all a fun experience in 2021.
Just flood #mygtmoment on Twitter with clips of lag and multiple disconnects.

A NSFW tag would’ve been nice! If I wanted to see something going inside something, I would’ve liked to have known beforehand. ;)

I’m not sure I want to bother with that championship then. Wasn’t too bad for me at Maggiore as I was generally by myself all race, but seeing all of this does not instill any trust in the future.

Last edited:
Back