2021 FIA Series Race Discussion

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 9,031 comments
The sad part is that it clearly doesn't have to be this bad. My main account is Australian, and I race Dailies every week with no problem - FROM CANADA. I'm often at 3 bars, but there is never lag that affects the racing. The network test shows 4/5 greens (bad top one) and ping of 200+ms.
The account I am using for the FIA races is Canadian, with 5/5 greens on the network test and <50ms ping. Yet I went into last nights race on 3 bars and it was barely playable. I got my best Q lap by driving through a guy in sector 3.

One and done race last night. Qualified solo in 6th, started on the Mediums. The guy behind me tried to divebomb Turn 1 so I just let it go for the sake of my race, then lost a couple spots to softies who were catching me. Pitted on Lap 9 after some good fuel saving to undercut and get ahead of some of those ahead of me, caught and easily passed those that had passed me before and were now on Mediums. Back into 6th for the finish, although I might have been able to fight for 4th or 5th if I had been more aggressive on the 2nd stint.

Only real highlight was this lowlife desperate to pull a dirty block then feign ignorance.

Just flood #mygtmoment on Twitter with clips of lag and multiple disconnects.

I thought of that... you know they have someone actively looking through those mentions, while tagging @thegranturismo and #FIAGTC probably doesn't catch their attention, that #MYGTMOMENT hashtag probably would.

I got around to watching the replay of my race this morning... it was just frustrating because it was really clear that myself, Naruto and Foyboy were all trying hard to race clean, in spite of the lag, but it is simply impossible to actually race and make clean overtakes when the lag is so bad. It was otherwise really fun, clean racing, the kind I'd always hoped for when I got to 40k DR or better, where people are consistent.

It was really good, close racing, and you had to set up a pass very deliberately, relying on the advantage of your car vs the other guy, and was a lot of fun to do so over the course of several laps. I was actually down to 16th at one point in the race (thanks mostly to the lag and trying to be careful to both avoid penalties for contact and also the contact itself) ...and worked back up to 9th on the last lap, so it felt rewarding.

Anyway, here's a nice photo of the one-off silver livery, on the entry into Turn 1... on to Barcelona!

upload_2021-5-6_10-3-53.jpeg

Pinched the brake wiring as I tried to screw back on the brake assembly. Only way to stop the car with that pedal set at a corner is crash into another car. So pretty much in permanent daily race mode. :lol:

Damn, that sucks man! Can you swap the clutch pedal over to the brake and just clip it’s wiring harness into the brake socket?

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to next Wednesday's round at Le Mans! That said, I feel like the time it takes to pit is unbearable - insofar that I highly doubt it'd be worth pitting for Mediums. (Honestly, I think it's one of the longest pit stops in GT Sport.) So I'm planning on doing a no-stop on the required Hards. I don't think the fuel use rate for this next round is high enough to be worth pitting for fuel, either.

EDIT: Also, as of last night's round at Fuji, I've slightly moved up in standings for the Manufacturers Series, since I scored ten more points over my best round - which was previously the Gr.4 race at Maggiore West. I'm now in the top 2000 for North America, which I suppose is nice. It's also nice to actually gain a position, let alone four in that round at Fuji. Of course, it likely helped that three people left and some others either spun out or got various penalties. Though I wonder if my pitting strategy was of any contribution, being 13M/7S? It did seem like many other drivers went for a 12M/8S strategy, too, but I suppose I wanted to be a bit more conservative. I think my average race pace was around 1:40, too. I do feel like my qualifying time was good, though - it felt closer to my best time in FP than the qualifying time I set for round 2, which felt a bit further off my best FP time.

EDIT2: I think generally, for the rounds where they only require Hards but also offer Mediums, Softs, or all three, I'm gonna start on Hards, see how far it gets me, and only pit for a softer compound if I also need to stop for fuel. If the Hards really start to deteriorate, then I'll consider how many laps are left, and decide accordingly if I want another set of Hards, or switch to a softer compound, especially if I'm over halfway through the race by the time I pit. But if I'm like, almost exactly halfway, give-or-take a lap, then I just might go for another set of Hards. I'll be sure to keep an eye on my lap times to see how much they deviate towards the end of my tires' life.

In this regard, for round 5 at Sardegna A, I plan to just go on Hards. Do you think I'll need to stop for fuel? Heck, do you think I could get away without pitting at all, even?

Last edited:
First slot, disconnected.

Second slot, went wide one of the exits in the final sector of my Q lap and got a penalty, started P18 when my time would’ve started me P3. Actually had a great race and moved up to finish P7 but it was only 220 points.

3rd and 4th slot, both disconnected.

Final slot, was door 20 in top split. Qualified P11 with a rather sloppy 36.8. Moved up to finish P7 for 262 points. Made a few mistakes and honestly should have had P6 or even P5 but that wasn’t in the cards. So many people want to fight early rather than push toward the front of the pack.

Overall I’m happy with the result but a bit disappointed I didn’t get a proper shot at a win or podium in the 2nd or 3rd split lobby that I should’ve been in. I know I had the race pace to win one of those rooms...but at the same time I’m also glad I got to race with some of the fast boys again since the regions re-merged. It had been awhile.

Cheers everyone. See you in Spain for Nations!

Though I wonder if my pitting strategy was of any contribution, being 13M/7S?
I think 13M/7S was one of the more conservative strategies, but that varies a little by car and driver and how confident you are on worn tires. I did 9S/11M and might have been able to get one more out of the softs, but the second half of my 9th lap was pretty ragged and I was worried I'd fall off the cliff if I pushed it. It is also harder when the soft tire is your second one. Starting on softs means you can just drive until you don't like them any more. Swapping onto them locks you in to that many laps whether you like it or not.

Lag & lag & more lag
Slot 1
Same room with @ZiggyS80 , tried to qualify with slip, bad idea as the lag was so bad I couldn’t tell where the car infront was, messed up my lap and i only managed 13th, race was unenjoyable , cars jumping all over the place but knowing I could’ve had pole if i went qualy by myself,it didn’t really matter anymore so i cruised to the flag , got 10th

2nd slot,
Waited for everyone to get out first so i could have the whole road by myself, first run got 5th, second run i had purple first 2 sectors but thanks to tire wear i messed up s3 and only improved by 0.040 but that was enough to jump to 3rd as it was really close between us all,

1st and myself started on softs, 2nd started on mediums , cold tires got him as he ran wide at turn 3 and i got by , quickly got slip of 1st , worked together and pulled a nice 6s gap, curb glitch almost got me but i kept it together and 1st got away by 2s just like that, from there i could maintain the gap but couldn’t really get close to him again, lap 10 we both pitted and from there i had to really push so a soft runner behind wouldn’t catch me, he closed the gap from 7s to 1s but i managed to held on to my spot:cheers:
Looking at the schedule, manu looks way fun thn Nations but lag makes it unenjoyable really, :confused:
/

Great to race with you in the 2nd slot! So nice to race with someone of your skill and craft. Glad we worked together to build that gap, figured we'd fight it out the last few laps and at worst i'd have a 50/50 shot at first and 100% chance at top 2. Don't know why others don't race like this and battle it out so hard only to fall back. I was getting worried about how much fuel you where saving in my draft so when something happened to you on that lap in sector 2 and the gap went from .400 to .800 i gave it a bit of a push. The lag was crazy, you and i where 1 or 2 red bars the whole race and i figured at any moment we'd DC. The Porsche was perfectly suited for the fuel/tire saving type race.

I'm really looking forward to next Wednesday's round at Le Mans! That said, I feel like the time it takes to pit is unbearable - insofar that I highly doubt it'd be worth pitting for Mediums. (Honestly, I think it's one of the longest pit stops in GT Sport.) So I'm planning on doing a no-stop on the required Hards. I don't think the fuel use rate for this next round is high enough to be worth pitting for fuel, either.

EDIT: Also, as of last night's round at Fuji, I've slightly moved up in standings for the Manufacturers Series, since I scored ten more points over my best round - which was previously the Gr.4 race at Maggiore West. I'm now in the top 2000 for North America, which I suppose is nice. It's also nice to actually gain a position, let alone four in that round at Fuji. Of course, it likely helped that three people left and some others either spun out or got various penalties. Though I wonder if my pitting strategy was of any contribution, being 13M/7S? It did seem like many other drivers went for a 12M/8S strategy, too, but I suppose I wanted to be a bit more conservative. I think my average race pace was around 1:40, too. I do feel like my qualifying time was good, though - it felt closer to my best time in FP than the qualifying time I set for round 2, which felt a bit further off my best FP time.

EDIT2: I think generally, for the rounds where they only require Hards but also offer Mediums, Softs, or all three, I'm gonna start on Hards, see how far it gets me, and only pit for a softer compound if I also need to stop for fuel. If the Hards really start to deteriorate, then I'll consider how many laps are left, and decide accordingly if I want another set of Hards, or switch to a softer compound, especially if I'm over halfway through the race by the time I pit. But if I'm like, almost exactly halfway, give-or-take a lap, then I just might go for another set of Hards. I'll be sure to keep an eye on my lap times to see how much they deviate towards the end of my tires' life.

In this regard, for round 5 at Sardegna A, I plan to just go on Hards. Do you think I'll need to stop for fuel? Heck, do you think I could get away without pitting at all, even?
The best way to test your theories is in a practice lobby. I have found them useful since I started doing them. I can test how my car feels on a certain stint and in general, whilst getting gelled to the track. You don't have to worry about the competitive element and can focus on what you want to test. Good luck!

Damn, that sucks man! Can you swap the clutch pedal over to the brake and just clip it’s wiring harness into the brake socket?
I'll check in case that will work. Otherwise, I would probably have to solder in new wire and that's beyond my skillset.

Weirdly, I'm more mad at how awful my times were at Fuji than my expensive mistake. I don’t know what other Nissan drivers were doing at S3 without losing gobs of time. Happens every single time and I can never figure it out.

I'll check in case that will work. Otherwise, I would probably have to solder in new wire and that's beyond my skillset.

Weirdly, I'm more mad at how awful my times were at Fuji than my expensive mistake. I don’t know what other Nissan drivers were doing at S3 without losing gobs of time. Happens every single time and I can never figure it out.

Cool, hopefully it will at least bridge the gap for the new set to arrive. :)

I couldn’t figure out S3 in the Aston either, no matter which lines I ran. I’d gain on people over the rest of the track and then just lose it back in S3.

/

Great to race with you in the 2nd slot! So nice to race with someone of your skill and craft. Glad we worked together to build that gap, figured we'd fight it out the last few laps and at worst i'd have a 50/50 shot at first and 100% chance at top 2. Don't know why others don't race like this and battle it out so hard only to fall back. I was getting worried about how much fuel you where saving in my draft so when something happened to you on that lap in sector 2 and the gap went from .400 to .800 i gave it a bit of a push. The lag was crazy, you and i where 1 or 2 red bars the whole race and i figured at any moment we'd DC. The Porsche was perfectly suited for the fuel/tire saving type race.
Great to see you here, i noticed you tried to break tow first lap and i flashed my lights to let you know you can trust me ,which you quickly understood :) i was saving a lot , too bad i lost it and i had to start burning a bit fuel again, i fueled past the diamond in the pits because i wanted to push to try to get to you and get away from 3rd on softs , but you hardly made a mistake, Nice drive and congratulations on the win :cheers:,

Last edited:
I was wondering what happened. I had a few friends too being disconnected. Even PXCam on his live stream got DCd and it looked like he was fed up already he just called it an early night.

Thanks man. You equally deserved the win. You were fast from the off and when you broke the draft from me put me in a tight spot to either rev it out to try to catch you or just fuel save and save my stuff for the end.

My night was a tale of two halves. The first slot I got braked checked by a Brazilian but he said it was lag, meh whatever. I was starting 7th but while messaging about the brake check I forgot it o switch from the softs to meds. Not a big deal as I could work my way through the field and perhaps set myself up for the end game on meds. However going down into the hairpin I had such a run and the grip I had to take the chance on 3 wide. I had passed both and established position but then making the left turn I got tapped in the rear and got spun. Then I got help up my slower people that just insisted on fighting me way too hard. Ended 12th at the end but was still fuming, especially since I've raced with a bunch of people from this team and never had an incident or mishap. So for now I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt. But was still disappointed.

Onto slot 2 where I was channeling my anger into horsepower and grip. I finally got the tow in qualy and did a 36.8 it was looking like it was going to be good for pole but then @Jwptexas got me right at the end. I wasn't too bummed as I would have a drafting partner and be able to save fuel. I was hoping he was also going to start on softs so we can check out from the field. However I lost his draft pretty early so I couldn't bump draft him to build a big gap. I stayed out an extra lap seeing that I still felt the car under me, but my in lap was really scruffy and it negated any fuel save or chance for an over cut. At this point I was mentally settled for second, but I had another brazilian just outside draft range. From prior experience I knew 9/10 they would take the position at any costs so I kept him behind. Then I guess jwps tires started going off and I finally got his draft. With two laps to go and the brazilian right there I made the move for the lead and didn't look back. Unlucky for jwp as it looked like some drama happened between you, the brazilian and a Canadian and wound up losing 2nd. But 274 was huge for me. I think the highest points I've scored in a long long time!

Sorry about the first couple of laps if it looked like I had no idea what was going on :lol: especially into T1 you were inside me so I had no clue where I needed to brake definitely lost bunch of time because of my indecisiveness...

So was that MKM calling me out pre race saying my pace would drop because of the DS4? Lol he was spot on though. My usual strategy just qualify pole and beat the piss out of the car until wheels fall off and hope I have big enough gap. I never intended on saving any fuel you were going to have to rev that thing out with me. Great race! :cheers:

PS_App_20210506_041738.jpeg

Last edited:
Le Mans is definitely a no stop on RH, RM are only going to be used for qualifying. Practically no tirewear next race and fuel isn't an issue at all.

Yea but just don't lose the slipstream unless bump drafting doesn't bring a penalty. It's important to be as close to the front as possible as nearly guaranteed a split on the 1st lap after the first few corners.

Yea but just don't lose the slipstream unless bump drafting doesn't bring a penalty. It's important to be as close to the front as possible as nearly guaranteed a split on the 1st lap after the first few corners.

I won't even look for a slipstream partner tbh. Depending on your car I'd imagine but I'll run solo qualifying as usual in the Ford.

When I first started playing we had this combo and I'm still salty about putting someone's WRX on pole with me second :lol:

Try start top 2-3 and cross your fingers no slow cars are ahead of the chicane to start. First pack should be able to break away fairly easy if working together.

The track limits on Le Mans are ridiculous. I swear they're different every lap. I can follow a top 10 ghost wheel to wheel and i'll get a pen and they obviously didn't :boggled:. I'm counting on staying in the limits and the rest of the field getting a pen, as you're dead if you get one down the back straight! :lol:

The track limits on Le Mans are ridiculous. I swear they're different every lap. I can follow a top 10 ghost wheel to wheel and i'll get a pen and they obviously didn't :boggled:. I'm counting on staying in the limits and the rest of the field getting a pen, as you're dead if you get one down the back straight! :lol:

Try carrying enough momentum you can afford to go off throttle and roll over apex. Seems to work for me.

T2 good example. You can completely cut it if off throttle but any amount of throttle triggers penalty

Last edited:
I've qualified on the front row for Le Mans before. You should do that if at all possible. Not because you get an advantage in the race, but the start countdown and the flyover is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Ed - also:

Last edited:
Lag & lag & more lag
Slot 1
Same room with @ZiggyS80 , tried to qualify with slip, bad idea as the lag was so bad I couldn’t tell where the car infront was, messed up my lap and i only managed 13th, race was unenjoyable , cars jumping all over the place but knowing I could’ve had pole if i went qualy by myself,it didn’t really matter anymore so i cruised to the flag , got 10th

2nd slot,
Waited for everyone to get out first so i could have the whole road by myself, first run got 5th, second run i had purple first 2 sectors but thanks to tire wear i messed up s3 and only improved by 0.040 but that was enough to jump to 3rd as it was really close between us all,

1st and myself started on softs, 2nd started on mediums , cold tires got him as he ran wide at turn 3 and i got by , quickly got slip of 1st , worked together and pulled a nice 6s gap, curb glitch almost got me but i kept it together and 1st got away by 2s just like that, from there i could maintain the gap but couldn’t really get close to him again, lap 10 we both pitted and from there i had to really push so a soft runner behind wouldn’t catch me, he closed the gap from 7s to 1s but i managed to held on to my spot:cheers:
Looking at the schedule, manu looks way fun thn Nations but lag makes it unenjoyable really, :confused:

It's awesome to see you ended the day with a good result. Great job! That first slot was so frustrating with the lag I was done. Same as last round. I just don't know how to guess where the cars actually are on the track. I try to give one version of them room, but it turns out they actually exist in a third space I hadn't seen yet. I stop early to avoid punting only to find that either the car was way ahead or the punt already happened. The way cars are jumping around even when I'm further behind is so disorienting, too.

What really bothers me, though, is that I appear dirty or incompetent to competitors. I'm not the fastest racer, but I really pride myself on racing hard and clean. I'm getting called out for things I'm not even aware of doing. I was really looking forward to this season, but after these opening rounds I'm not sure if I'll continue. I have a big preference of Manu over Nations, but it just hasn't been any fun this season.

So was that MKM calling me out pre race saying my pace would drop because of the DS4? Lol he was spot on though. My usual strategy just qualify pole and beat the piss out of the car until wheels fall off and hope I have big enough gap. I never intended on saving any fuel you were going to have to rev that thing out with me. Great race! :cheers:

Haha it was. Although he had a bit of a shocker too last night. Weird with the bump. I know I was bump drafting you but I was never glitchy to the point I was inside your car. It was just on entry you were doing the Jim Carrey side head bob dance and I was too afraid to commit any move unless it was a straightaway.

I couldn’t figure out S3 in the Aston either, no matter which lines I ran. I’d gain on people over the rest of the track and then just lose it back in S3.

If the brake wire is cut switching the clutch and brake pedal wiring won’t work, the system is looking for information from the brake wire. In theory you could switch out the harness wiring pins but it is much simpler to solder the wire back together and put a heat shrink sleeve over it. Super simple repair and the cost of the solder iron and supplies will pay for itself over the years. If you cannot manage that, a hobby store that repairs RC cars will probably do it for you for five bucks.

Haha it was. Although he had a bit of a shocker too last night. Weird with the bump. I know I was bump drafting you but I was never glitchy to the point I was inside your car. It was just on entry you were doing the Jim Carrey side head bob dance and I was too afraid to commit any move unless it was a straightaway.
Funny, I think I know exactly what you mean by the side bob dance... the car is on the apex, then it's not, then it is, then it's not again! How much room do I need to leave him? Am I gonna get a SR down or contact penalty if I go near him? It's so GD frustrating! And at Fuji, you have to run in close quarters in the T1 hairpin and the S3 hairpin both, or you'll never pass someone. There's no slipping by without risking contact. Which is impossible when the lag has you jumping all around. Wish PD would address it...

Another good race. I know I keep saying “that” but it is true, I am getting some really good FIA races.

Manufacture’s Race – Round 3
Next to the last slot EMEA - TPC Hyundai Genesis GR.3

D/S Lobby - Door #1 (not sure why I was #1 with better drivers in the race)
Qualified 17th with 1:46.440
Tire strategy: 11 RM/9 RS planned, 12 RM/8 RS actually executed
Finished P8 (originally P10 but 2 other drivers failed to follow required tire rules)
Fastest lap: 1:41.787 (L16) / Average laps: 1:46.100
9 points for the Hyundai
+390 DR, +/- SR to remain at 99

Shared video tags: tpc, fiagtc, 2021r3

The TPC Hyundai Genesis GR.3 was awesome!

Another race that ran well for me. One ORANGE down with a 1 second penalty on lap 3 turn 1 (completely my fault) when I cut the corner close and cutoff another racer coming into the corner tight (he was behind but had the shorter inside line). No contact occurred but I am sure I caused them to decelerate more than they wanted.

Went into the pits after lap 12, 1 lap after originally planned. I only did that to comply with the mandatory tire change because the RM tires I started with were good for a few more laps. I have experienced bad luck when performing mandatory pit stops late in the race so I did not want to get too close to lap 16 without completing the tire change. 8 laps of RS saw hardly any wear so that was good for the last laps.

Another race with my head down, racing the track not other racers, and passing those who couldn’t keep it together for 20 laps.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20210505225153.jpg

No Nation's Cup for me this weekend (again) so I have all week to get the GR.3 cars ready for Le Mans. I cannot wait until Round 4 when both FIA races are in GR.3 cars at good tracks. This will be my first Nation's Cup race this season.

Enjoy your racing – Good luck to all this season!

Last edited:

If the brake wire is cut switching the clutch and brake pedal wiring won’t work, the system is looking for information from the brake wire. In theory you could switch out the harness wiring pins but it is much simpler to solder the wire back together and put a heat shrink sleeve over it. Super simple repair and the cost of the solder iron and supplies will pay for itself over the years. If you cannot manage that, a hobby store that repairs RC cars will probably do it for you for five bucks.
My replacement T3PAs arrive tomorrow so it's mainly figuring out whether fixing my broken set is worth the effort. My hands are terrible with anything requiring precision and so I'll have to find a place that could do that type of work.
Can't help but put up the video I did of this combo last year. It was already a mess then. Now add really bad lag and... oh boy! :ill:

I’m wondering if they cut the extra servers to save money, how much does it cost to run a server big enough to run NA or Oceana? Like, is it just a single server tower? Or a whole room, or an entire warehouse? I don’t know what it would take to run Sport Mode.
No idea, but I hear that even the CSA people don't like the CSA servers. :nervous:

Latest Posts

Back