2021 NTT Indy Car SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter Dotini
  • 291 comments
Grosjean getting multiple podiums with Coyne equipment, just imagine how good he'll be with (presumably Andretti) tier cars to drive.
That’s the hope next year. But being Andretti, it could go in many directions given that teams recent history.

Lots of stuff happening today...

Grosjean has officially been announced for the #28 plus a seat in the #10 for the 24 Hours of Daytona. Really the only surprising part of this news is the fact DHL is sticking around.

Callum Ilott will remain in the Juncos-Hollinger entry next year.

And finally Penske will take control of Indy Lights starting next year. Hopefully they can find a way to get some more cars on the grid.

Looks like O'Ward might be coming back out (I wasn't aware that was allowed).

I was hoping O'Ward would pull it off but Palou certainly is deserving of the title.

Next year should be very interesting with 4 teams potentially challenging for the championship.

Looks like O'Ward might be coming back out (I wasn't aware that was allowed).
I believe it's allowed in every form of motorsport, it's just that time/points paying positions often don't make it worthwhile; Indycar and NASCAR tend to give points all the way down the finishing positions with the caveat being you have to finish.

Was a good season. Nice to see Palou get a title. Way IndyCar has been of late, a lot of really good drivers having to wait towards the backside of their career before netting a title (Power/RHR).

I believe it's allowed in every form of motorsport, it's just that time/points paying positions often don't make it worthwhile; Indycar and NASCAR tend to give points all the way down the finishing positions with the caveat being you have to finish.
In NASCAR, you are not allowed to rejoin if you go to the garage because of crash damage. If you go to the garage with a mechanical issue, you are allowed to rejoin.

In NASCAR, you are not allowed to rejoin if you go to the garage because of crash damage. If you go to the garage with a mechanical issue, you are allowed to rejoin.
In O'Ward's instance, he had a mechanical issue caused by crash damage (Ed Jones crashed into him, braking his driveshaft). Where would the rules lie on that?

In O'Ward's instance, he had a mechanical issue caused by crash damage (Ed Jones crashed into him, braking his driveshaft). Where would the rules lie on that?
IndyCar allows you to re-enter a car at anytime for anything beside terminal engine/transmission issues. NASCAR is the same, but you have a 6 minute window from when you stop in you out stall (or make it to the garage) in order to fix your car.

There was instances in NASCAR of guys rebuilding the top of their motor in the garage in order to try and make up a few spots. IndyCar tends to involve massive damage in the smallest of accidents, hence why retirements are more likely from a small crash.

And as we saw, once Pato and the team realized they wouldn’t make up any more spots they ultimately retired the car.

Another piece of the puzzle has fallen, Pagenaud has been officially announced for the #60 MSR car.

Still quite a few seats with question marks next to them, granted we know a couple that are just waiting for announcements (Harvey at RLL and DeFrancesco at Andretti).

Today is the 10th anniversary of Dan Wheldons passing.

10 years ago, I was a 14 year old NASCAR fan. I can’t remember why, but I had turned on the TV and found the Indycar championship race from Las Vegas. I had heard of Indycar but had never watched a full race. I knew next to nothing about it. But I saw where they were racing and I guess I’d thought I’d give it a try. Those first 10 laps were something I had never seen before. The speed, the closeness.
As a NASCAR fan I of course had learned about drivers who had died in racing in the past, but whenever I would turn on a race, the thought that what racecar drivers do on a weekly basis is terribly dangerous never really crossed my mind. That first IndyCar race was also the first time I had seen someone die on live television. And man was I not prepared for it.
Racer.com has a very good article on the event. I highly suggest everyone take a look at it.

Edit: Also…

Last edited:
Alpine F1 junior Christian Lundgaard replaces Sato at RLL for next year

Last edited:
As expected Penske is dropping to 3 cars next year.

Stoffel Vandoorne will be testing for them as well.

Jimmie is going full time next year. I think everyone expected him to do the 500, but him running all the ovals, especially Texas is slightly surprising. No word on Kanaan, but hopefully Chip will run a 5th car for him since I'm under the impression he brought his own money to the table.

Also, HMD made their partnership with Coyne official with David Malukas in the #18.

There's going to be quite the rookie class next year, hopefully they impress.

Back