2022 Mercedes C-Class (W206)

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
2022-mercedes-benz-c-class-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100773006_h.jpg

2022-mercedes-benz-c-class-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100773010_h.jpg

2022-mercedes-benz-c-class-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100773013_h.jpg

2021-mercedes-benz-c-class-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100712989_h.jpg

2022-mercedes-benz-c-class-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100768161_h.jpg

The latest testers have lost a lot of the heavy camouflaged seen previously, revealing a car with a similar size and proportions to those of the current C-Class. The front looks to sit lower however, which lends the redesigned model a sportier stance, and there are clear influences from the redesigned 2021 S-Class, particularly for the lights.

The interior design will be a lot more radical, with a large infotainment screen similar to the one in the S-Class positioned in the center stack and another screen serving as the instrument cluster. You'll notice that the updated 2019 C-Class missed out on Mercedes' latest infotainment system known as MBUX, but the latest version of the system will appear in the new C-Class. It operates much like a smartphone's operating system and also uses natural speech to control many vehicle functions.

Underpinning the new C-Class is an updated version of the current generation's MRA rear-wheel-drive platform. The platform actually made its debut in the current C-Class and is thus relatively young.

The updated version will bring significant weight savings primarily through increased use of aluminum over steel. This has been made possible due to advanced joining technologies including aluminum to steel welding.

One final change with the new C-Class worth mentioning is production. Mercedes currently builds the C-Class for North America at its plant in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. This won't be the case for the next C-Class, though from which plant it will be sourced for North America hasn't been announced.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1119812_2022-mercedes-benz-c-class-sedan-spy-shots-video

Supposedly a new generation but you can barely tell it apart from the current C-Class with the exposed metal.

I'm hoping the front end takes more inspiration from the CLA than the recently updated E-Class.

Interestingly there doesn't appear to be any gear-selection controls on the centre tunnel at all. I know there's a big hole where you'd expect something to be, but it looks more like a cubbyhole in the picture above. I guess something could be slotted in there, but how is it being driven without it?

This styling they are slowly applying across the range isn't great inside and out, especially the change of the dash layout first seen in the new S-Class which makes it look so old and generic. The whole vertical strip across the dash thing was excellent before.

Last edited:
Interestingly there doesn't appear to be any gear-selection controls on the centre tunnel at all. I know there's a big hole where you'd expect something to be, but it looks more like a cubbyhole in the picture above. I guess something could be slotted in there, but how is it being driven without it?

Modern Mercedes models (such as the new A-Class) have the gear selector mounted behind the steering wheel
mercedes-benz-electronic-gear-selector-behind-steering-wheel-on-w177-a-class-2AN4737.jpg

• Voice command?
  • Buttons?
  • Neural interface?
  • K.I.T.?

2022 Mercedes C-Class teased along with official reveal date
2022-mercedes-benz-c-class-teasers-3.jpg

2022-mercedes-benz-c-class-teasers-1.jpg

Also worth noting this generation will be limited to four-cylinder engines only. Yep, even the flagship AMG (rumoured to be packing a hybrid setup packing over 500hp)

Four cylinders can be powerful, but they aren't ever going to replace the appeal of sixes and eights etc.

Be better to have skipped ICE entirely and gone full EV.

Waiting to see how this affects their AMG customer racing program. Will the GT3 & GT4 cars switch to 4 cylinders? GT500 cars use 4-cylinder turbos. TCR use 4-cylinder turbos.

Should be interesting for AMG to promote their petrol efficiency, over other petrol competition.

A four-cylinder AMG with an artificial V8 sound through the sound speakers.
I really wouldn't mind that option, (not that i could ever afford a Mercedes). I've driven an AMG E class (biturbo V8) before, and it sounded gorgeous, though i imagine even some of that was being piped through the speakers.

Last edited:
That glass cockpit just gave me a thought.

Part of the experience from my time driving Mercedes and BMWs et al was pressing the buttons and turning the knobs. They all felt better than Fords or Toyotas. The materials were metallic and weighty, the button feedback was just right, the knobs had precise texturing and clicks and felt heavy like an old stereo. Tactile feel of the controls was really enjoyable and helped to set these cars apart from cheaper brands which didn't put the R&D into each button press.

So what happens when these premium brands simply get rid of this tactility advantage?

Why the heck would I buy a Mercedes instead of a Kia when they've both sourced the same Samsung touchscreen?

What happens when a Mercedes doesn't feel any more premium than a Honda, literally because there is nothing to touch and feel?

I think Mazda is going to stumble happily into the entry-level luxury segment as they shift to rear-drive platforms because in getting rid of their tactility advantage the German brands are actually making it easier for Mazda to compete. What a terrible decision for the Germans. It also may help expose them for what they are in North America, which is overpriced and underwarrantied. I don't think some schlick startup graphics are going to justify the price.

Last edited:

Part of the experience from my time driving Mercedes and BMWs et al was pressing the buttons and turning the knobs. They all felt better than Fords or Toyotas. The materials were metallic and weighty, the button feedback was just right, the knobs had precise texturing and clicks and felt heavy like an old stereo. Tactile feel of the controls was really enjoyable and helped to set these cars apart from cheaper brands which didn't put the R&D into each button press.

So what happens when these premium brands simply get rid of this tactility advantage?

Why the heck would I buy a Mercedes instead of a Kia when they've both sourced the same Samsung touchscreen?

What happens when a Mercedes doesn't feel any more premium than a Honda, literally because there is nothing to touch and feel?

Not all controls have migrated to touch screens. Air vents, door handles, steering column stalks. Not to mention the soft-open qualities of glove and storage compartments and the actual tactile quality of all the surfaces. But i get your point. I imagine that better quality screens and the quality of the software that runs on them will become some of what separates them from the rabble. Time previously spent on R&D for buttons and dials will just get spent on bettering and fine tuning the operating system.

I think Mazda is going to stumble happily into the entry-level luxury segment as they shift to rear-drive platforms because in getting rid of their tactility advantage the German brands are actually making it easier for Mazda to compete. What a terrible decision for the Germans. It also may help expose them for what they are in North America, which is overpriced and underwarrantied. I don't think some schlick startup graphics are going to justify the price.

At the end of the day, a Kia is still a Kia no matter if the same Samsung screen is in them. I think its a double edged sword, as the lower segments upgrade their Tech it looks like Merc held off as long as they could. Now that the tech is upgraded, its a high-tech Merc vs a high-tech Kia.

For example, i've held off on a C43 because of the lack of tech-interior. With these upgrades, I might pull the trigger now haha

Oh my lordy, what is this rubbish Mercedes? I really dont get German designers losing their flair, so boring and uninspiring design. A car made clearly for a dull middle aged man or young business buck with no clear taste in cars.

Why make a S-class ghastly reject interior, exterior lines are dull & so bland, it has no individuality, I will gladly reject this from my eyes. Can I have my 10 minutes back wasted looking at this. :banghead:

....Hello, is that the Alfa romeo dealership.....? :sly:

Last edited:
These things look cohesive and sleek but are also bland and boring. It's no better than the Lexus SC430 from 15 years ago. Now that they've gotten rid of the side graphics of the previous gen it looks much more like a blob. The wagon looks better but is still bland. Mercedes has taken "sleek" in the wrong direction compared to Mazda who are the best at it these days.

I'm also wondering how long they're going to be able to maintain this design language, especially at the rear of the car. As the need for aero efficiency increases in the future, eventually they're going to have to adopt kamm-back designs and sharp edges around the tail for maximum range. Mazda will suffer the same problem, but up until now they've focused on smaller and more efficient engines in North America so it's never been much of an issue. I'd have to consider these fluid design languages temporary at best because they're simply not the most efficient designs.

The AMG T-model of the new C-class is going to be a very nice car.

upload_2021-2-23_15-6-45-png.993802

Beautiful

upload_2021-2-23_15-6-50-png.993803

What the **** is this? :eek: :yuck:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back