2023-24 Formula 1 Off-season thread

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 584 comments
Max is arguably the most adaptable driver on the grid who doesn’t seem to have any off days. Ferrari would have been all over him if they waited a little longer.

Last edited:
Max is arguably the most adaptable driver on the grid who doesn’t seem to have any off days. Ferrari would have been all over him if they waited a little longer.
Being Ferrari, they somehow would have waited too long and been overtaken by Audi.

And this is probably THE most specific anyone has ever done regarding Marko's overall position:

Screenshot_20240309_205130_Chrome.jpg

So he's basically employed Moreso by Red Bell GmbH then Red Bull Racing themselves.

Last edited:
Read that Marko will be going with Oliver Mintzlaff to Dubai to meet with Yoovidhya as well. Wonder if the Austrian side of RB took Max's words seriously & will be going with Marko to see how much the Yoovidhya wants Horner to stay. Just a theory of course, but it seems a bit hard to believe things have settled down when it's been the Austrians behind Max & Marko & the Thai behind Horner.

Netflix/DTS didn't cover real drama for most of it's running and prefered their made up storys to not step people on their feet like they did in the first seasons. Guess this whole Horner/RB saga could be left aside as well.

And this is probably THE most specific anyone has ever done regarding Marko's overall position:

View attachment 1335711

So he's basically employed Moreso by Red Bell GmbH then Red Bull Racing themselves.
But he is literally a director of Red Bull Racing. It has two of them: Marko and Horner:

Shrugs

Not even remotely trying anymore at this point, it's been too confusing to follow between the "Will they, won't they" nonsense they now enjoy playing.

Pick one:
❐ Doesn't "work" for Red Bull
❐ The B-team formerly known as something also not Red Bull
❐ Red Bull (puts liquid in a can)

Translation:
German media, F1-Insider and Motorsport-Total, reported on Sunday that Red Bull's Thai major shareholder may now have changed his mind and would like to fire Christian Horner. 1/2

Follow-Up: Red Bull Racing spokesperson response: "As Christian has said, he is grateful for the full support of the shareholders and that remains the case."

Read that Marko will be going with Oliver Mintzlaff to Dubai to meet with Yoovidhya as well. Wonder if the Austrian side of RB took Max's words seriously & will be going with Marko to see how much the Yoovidhya wants Horner to stay. Just a theory of course, but it seems a bit hard to believe things have settled down when it's been the Austrians behind Max & Marko & the Thai behind Horner.

Just get everyone together and call a cease fire. Tell everyone to shut up. The team is super successful right now and this could tear it apart. Losing Verstappen would really hurt and Marko is 80 years old. They don’t need to lose Horner either as they’re moving to make their own engines.

Just get everyone together and call a cease fire. Tell everyone to shut up. The team is super successful right now and this could tear it apart. Losing Verstappen would really hurt and Marko is 80 years old. They don’t need to lose Horner either as they’re moving to make their own engines.
Unfortunately, it appears to be a power struggle. Marko has said he decides when he leaves & there's speculation Horner is looking to be like Toto & have a financial stake in the team with the help of the Thai investor & British backers. Supposedly, this was done without Marko & the Austrians' knowledge, and why we may have the current rift going on.

Last edited:
I missed the RB17 news from RBR...

now I could be a bit cynical, but does anyone else reckon they have spend many tens of millions over the last few years on this project that "distills everything we know about creating championship-winning Formula One cars into a package"...

Meanwhile Milton Keyes residents are like "Wow the Red Bull wind tunnel is going again, they must have some extra wind tunnel time"...

RBR Aero engineers "Nah this is even more data analysis for distilling knowledge about championship winning cars for our RB17 project"

I missed the RB17 news from RBR...

now I could be a bit cynical, but does anyone else reckon they have spend many tens of millions over the last few years on this project that "distills everything we know about creating championship-winning Formula One cars into a package"...

Meanwhile Milton Keyes residents are like "Wow the Red Bull wind tunnel is going again, they must have some extra wind tunnel time"...

RBR Aero engineers "Nah this is even more data analysis for distilling knowledge about championship winning cars for our RB17 project"

Mercedes also unveiled the AMG project one f1 inspired hypercar during their domination. Makes sense to try and sell a super exclusive and expensive car to billionaires in Dubai or whatever.

Turns out that there's no limit on wind tunnel testing time for cooling purposes, so long as direct force measurements aren't taken.

Not really sure where to post this, but for subscribers to Sky Sports F1, keep an eye on your app this weekend.
Starting in about 6 hours from now, the Adelaide Motorsport Festival is going to be streamed live… and I’m helping to broadcast it :)

The event is huge. Car wise, think Mazda 767B, Porsche 962, race winning F1 cars, many Bathurst winners and any supercar worth talking about.

People wise, it’s arguably even bigger. Bottas, Lawson, Gunther Steiner, Damon Hill and David Croft are joined by Aussies like Craig Lowndes, Jack Perkins and James Courtney.

I’ll be working a camera and helping behind the scenes throughout the 2 day event. If plans go well i’m going to be a part of some super exciting stuff!

People from countries without Sky Sports F1 should be able to stream directly from the Adelaide Motorsport Festival Facebook page. I’ll be sure to snap some pics over the weekend for this thread :)

@Hayden if you happen to spot my partner in her bright orange froggy hat tomorrow, please make sure you get a nice close-up shot for the international viewers.

Horner's accuser hired a new lawyer & is appealing the decision made by Red Bull. I'd honestly be shocked if Red Bull manages to keep everyone in the company year's end; there feels like way too much bad blood & bridges burned going on.

Translation:
A lot of discussions were held within Red Bull (Racing) last week to calm things down, with 22 races still to go. The employee who accused team boss Horner has now decided to appeal.

From the article:
The woman in question has recently hired a new lawyer. Initially, she would have five working days to appeal after receiving the official paperwork following the initial investigation. The change in lawyers gave her more time to do this.

Horner (50) is accused by the woman of sexual misconduct. Just before the first race weekend in Bahrain, he was exonerated by the external lawyer engaged by Red Bull's headquarters. Now a new lawyer will have to look into the whole matter. The employee was recently suspended by Red Bull. Horner has always denied the allegations and has so far always been supported by Red Bull's Thai major shareholder, Chalerm Yoovidhya.

Comments were made by Toto Wolff (Mercedes) and Zak Brown (McLaren) about the lack of transparency surrounding the investigation. Red Bull's partners Ford and Honda also stated at an earlier stage that they wanted more clarity about the entire process.

Last week, the necessary discussions were held within Red Bull Racing to calm things down. Not an unnecessary luxury with 22 races to go this year. Both in Bahrain and a week later in Jeddah, it was almost exclusively about the investigation surrounding Horner and the power struggle within the Red Bull top. A possible suspension of top advisor Helmut Marko was averted, partly because Max Verstappen was committed to keeping the 80-year-old Austrian in office. Verstappen's contract contains a clause that says he can stay out of his contract until 2028, if Marko leaves.

@Hayden if you happen to spot my partner in her bright orange froggy hat tomorrow, please make sure you get a nice close-up shot for the international viewers.

Unfortunately no sign of bright Orange froggy hats (I was keeping an eye out!) but a really great weekend overall.

8EBFBA75-9F92-484D-AF6F-14AD951759B1.jpeg
I was working with my friend Dylan (in orange above) and Supercars presenter Jack Perkins for the 2 day event. We had a pretty packed schedule and we filmed 20-30 interviews. Some cool ones were with James Courtney, Valtteri Bottas (above), Damon Hill and my personal favourite, Hashino-San, the owner of the Mazda 767B.

I was in charge of the camera for this one and when the Japanese gentleman started making car noises it was a really fun moment. Such pure car passion that brought joy to everyone around. :)

88F1E6AD-230A-4C57-9DE5-08391A6C47F3.jpeg
(Me going through the schedule with Jack)

Not many people get to do stuff like this and I’m thankful to the guys that makes the technical stuff happen. We’re a team of 11 amateurs with day jobs who do livestreams as a hobby, but there is a crazy amount of work and gear that goes on behind the scenes.

09CD6D27-AF2C-4BFE-8B1D-9B4F59264FF2.jpeg
(Craig Lowndes in the FXX)

The event was brilliant and I’m already excited for next year. If you’re coming to Aus for the GP next year, come a week early and experience the Adelaide Motorsport Festival :)

Last edited:

Just think: Three teams in 2023 (one of which has Massive money behind it) finished behind a team who's car was designed with practices 20 whole years out of date...

Just think: Three teams in 2023 (one of which has Massive money behind it) finished behind a team who's car was designed with practices 20 whole years out of date...

Entirely possible those 3 teams used the same method but also used Clippy.

At least spreadsheets are a proven method dependent on the data entered into them by people. Imagine what a car designed using generative AI will end up like.... and I say "will" because there's a very real chance someone is going to try employing it in some capacity within the next couple years.

At least spreadsheets are a proven method dependent on the data entered into them by people. Imagine what a car designed using generative AI will end up like.... and I say "will" because there's a very real chance someone is going to try employing it in some capacity within the next couple years.
Interestingly, asking it to generate a 2024 car seemed to give 2021 regs. That said, they nailed the Carbon Fibre crap livery
OIG4.jpeg
OIG4 (1).jpeg
OIG4 (2).jpeg
OIG4.Qwot5..jpeg

Back