2023-24 Formula 1 Off-Track Thread

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 727 comments
As it's 40 years since Senna showed the world what he was capable of at the 1984 Monoco GP, Toleman/Benetton/Renault/Lotus/Renault/Alpine should be painting the A524 in the Segafredo/Candy livery for this race.

Looks revolting, but at least they're going all-in. Not like other teams, who blue it.

As it's 40 years since Senna showed the world what he was capable of at the 1984 Monoco GP, Toleman/Benetton/Renault/Lotus/Renault/Alpine should be painting the A524 in the Segafredo/Candy livery for this race.
They barely have a "Livery" themselves this year, asking quite abit for them to do literally anything competent.

Bit of Benetton vibes with the Senna livery

1716331974633.png

At least the article explains why they looked so extreme.

I know they run with a single central rain light, but if you had two placed the outside edges of the rear wheels, the following drivers would at least have a better idea of how close they are to the car in front through heavy spray.

Andretti described how Maffei interrupted an exchange between him and Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali on Saturday during the Miami Grand Prix weekend.

“Mr Maffei, broke in the conversation and he said: ‘Mario, I want to tell you that I will do everything in my power to see that Michael never enters Formula 1,'” Andretti told NBC.

According to Andretti, Maffei then walked away. “I could not believe that,” he said. “That one really floored me.”

If the US wasn't already on to them for "being run like a Mob", then they REALLY will be now.

Formula One is a private entity and those idiots are allowed to admit or refuse whomever it wants into its crappy club for jerks. If anything, I'm wondering why Andretti still wants to join something so openly hostile to them. I know that's part of the Formula One teams' plan, make Andretti give up and stop trying, but I don't see how this is worth it in the long-run.

The idea of wah-wahing to the US government about it is a bit laughable. The United States loves doing things on its own, having its own stuff away from the rest of the world and not signing up to global initiatives so Andretti looking for insistence to be allowed to join seems culturally hypocritical.

Andretti should be on the grid but if Formula One is so averse to it, don't bother. F1 has shown what a bunch of pricks are in it.

Last edited:
Formula One is a private entity and those idiots are allowed to admit or refuse whomever it wants into its crappy club for jerks. If anything, I'm wondering why Andretti still wants to join something so openly hostile to them. I know that's part of the Formula One teams' plan, make Andretti give up and stop trying, but I don't see how this is worth it in the long-run.

The idea of wah-wahing to the US government about it is a bit laughable. The United States loves doing things on its own, having its own stuff away from the rest of the world and not signing up to global initiatives so Andretti looking for insistence to be allowed to join seems culturally hypocritical.

Andretti should be on the grid but if Formula One is so averse to it, don't bother. F1 has shown what a bunch of pricks are in it.
I think what the Congressmen are going after though, is that this is technically an American company (Liberty Media) denying another American company (Andretti) for anti-competitive practice.

I mean, your points are all valid, but I think that's a smaller point in this. It's still the US govt. only looking out for its own interest b/c a global brand has been using the US market to build itself & the American team with a recognizable name should get a piece of that.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder why Andretti are pushing on in the face of all this definitive "you're not playing with us" stuff being thrown at them. They're spending a lot of money for what might end up being absolutely nothing.

At the same time, I do feel that Andretti are so deep now in the F1 building process, that it doesn't matter what they set the anti-dilution fee to, they'll be able to pay it, and then what?

Beyond The Grid: Brundle. A very fascinating interview with one of the best. I had no idea how difficult Brundle had it because of his damaged foot. It puts his efforts versus Schumacher and Häkkinen in a new light.

Last edited:
I think what the Congressmen are going after though, is that this is technically an American company (Liberty Media) denying another American company (Andretti) for anti-competitive practice.
Its interesting to note that said American company in question has ownership of Live Nation, a company that itself is currently being sued by the DOJ for "Anti-Competitive Practices".

REEEAAALLY adds more to the "Run like a Mafia" description, which at this point has me question how widespread this is among their properties and the possible implications for their Aquisition of Moto GP.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder why Andretti are pushing on in the face of all this definitive "you're not playing with us" stuff being thrown at them. They're spending a lot of money for what might end up being absolutely nothing.

At the same time, I do feel that Andretti are so deep now in the F1 building process, that it doesn't matter what they set the anti-dilution fee to, they'll be able to pay it, and then what?
I think your point of them being into deep is why, myself. Don’t they already have a building setup or was it just plans for what it will look like? I believe I’ve also read that they’ve already begun work on chassis development.

I think your point of them being into deep is why, myself. Don’t they already have a building setup or was it just plans for what it will look like? I believe I’ve also read that they’ve already begun work on chassis development.
Yeah facility at Silverstone opened with staff working, lots of people employed already, expansion going, engine deals done. I think you're right, they're just full send now. It just seems like the F1 equivalent of banging your head against a brick wall.

neither parties are using their own $. it's just the rich doing rich things/business.

it'd be nice to see a bit bigger grid though, 24 to 26. Saturdays would be very interesting.

If F1 didn't want to draw the ire of the US government for being run like an old boy's club, they shouldn't have made maximizing the amount of money they extract from US audiences Job #1 after selling out to a US media consortium. What Andretti did is a perfectly valid next step.

Last edited:
If F1 didn't want to draw the ire of the US government for being run like an old boy's club, they shouldn't have made maximizing the amount of money they extract from US audiences Job #1 after selling out to a US media consortium.
I agree.
F1 has shown what a bunch of pricks are in it.
I should add that it's not like we didn't know this before, they've just made it unequivocally clear and obvious.

I imagine it ultimately comes down to: If the Cadillac engines prove to be good and competitive, the backmarker teams might want to switch to them and then that'd be taking a lot of money out of the other engine suppliers' pockets. If Andretti wanted to come in as a B-team for Mercedes, Ferrari or RBR and shell out for their engines, this would likely be a non-issue.

Cadillac engines
The Indy 500s weren't Formula One races so outside parental ownership such as Chrysler owning Lamborghini at the time and the obvious loophole of Ford being the financial backers of English Cosworth engines, have there actually been American engines in Formula One before? It would be interesting to see a genuine American engine in the sport which only adds to the attraction that Andretti would undoubtedly bring.

If anything I hope Andretti puts even more pressure on FOM, the whole thing is a joke.

Rumors have Stewart Haas Racing in NASCAR closing down, Gene may have lost interest and hopefully sells his awful f1 team too.

The whole reason Andretti’s entry is held up is how the sport has exploded and team values have gone way up. Williams was sold for around $200 million just a few years ago. The fees for new teams entering is seen as too small today. Andretti will have to spend like a billion in a few years under a new Concorde agreement or will spend that buying an existing team now like Haas.

Remember the 350 million $ for buying Sauber 2-3 years ago Andretti was offered and they denied for beeing too expensive 🤑

Rumors have Stewart Haas Racing in NASCAR closing down, Gene may have lost interest and hopefully sells his awful f1 team too.
Haas is hands-off for SHR and Stewart has literally been a no-show this year while racing in NHRA. I think Haas is a bit safer in F1 than SHR is in NASCAR.

Back