2023 Formula 1 Season Car Reveals: Mercedes W14Formula 1 

The Death Star has returned.

While I think I would've preferred a silver livery, I'll still go against the grain and say that I really like mix of bare carbon and black paint going on here. It's usually easy to make black work with most cars, but Mercedes is the only team to make black really work with their cars.

I also like the red paint on the air intake. I'm assuming that Mercedes' continued nod to Niki Lauda.

Last edited:

While I think I would've preferred a silver livery, I'll still go against the grain and say that I really like mix of bare carbon and black paint going on here. It's usually easy to make black work with most cars, but Mercedes is the only team to make black really work with their cars.

Agreed, the silver is nice but a half silver half bare carbon would have looked weird. The fact they did a black livery for 2 seasons gets them off the hook for the carbon very nicely.

Also looks like it should appear in the GT4 used car dealer on day 391.

I also like the red paint on the air intake. I'm assuming that Mercedes' continued nod to Niki Lauda.
I think the red is for their INEOS sponsor where the brand usually put onto a full red background on to the intake.

It looks a bit better in the video presentation, though that may just be the lighting.

Think they need to add a new clause to the regulations - "you must allocate a minimum of x grams for paint"

Given the original reason for the W11 to switch to a black livery, one wonder how much of a middle finger this is at F1's edict about political statements.
It honestly is surprising F1 decided to do that in the first place so I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t just a little incentive to paint it black.

It looks a bit better in the video presentation, though that may just be the lighting.

Think they need to add a new clause to the regulations - "you must allocate a minimum of x grams for paint"

Would be a completely daft regulation. The cars look fine, wasn't too long ago everyone pined for bare carbon and now it's being complained about.

Since when have people really given a damn either way?

Its definitely a post reveal - pre testing thing. People have woken up from an F1 off-season hibernation but until testing starts there's very little to actually talk about.

Last edited:
Toto was right with his comment....looking at this car, it is virtually the same as last year's car. The biggest difference from the outside seems to be the engine cover design and the floor. In addition to their bouncing, they key thing was the car was too draggy so I really hope they have ironed out all those issues, otherwise they'll be in for some struggle again this season.
Other than that....the car looks fine with the black and bare carbon look. Actually, all the cars released so far have looked quite "pleasing" to look at. I can't wait to see them on the track!

Because of how they have design their sidepod, when I look at the Mercedes car from the front, this is what it reminds me off

1676472311255.png

My only issue with this livery is the driver numbers look a little goofy. I’ll give them points for making the two cars look “unique”, but the colours don’t look good with the livery at all.

Mercedes called dibs on the all black bare carbon livery people say the grid will turn into.

It looks nice on them and less of a shock as the W11 already looked great.

Last edited:
I like it - I don't mind carbon-fibre/black as the major colour - the detailing is subtle and they've got rid of the hideous colour combination from last year, thank goodness.

Black looks good on just about anything with 4 wheels so I like it a lot, it looks menacing. This is my favorite Mercedes livery so far.

Black looks good on just about anything with 4 wheels so I like it a lot, it looks menacing. This is my favorite Mercedes livery so far.
I liked the 2021 one the best still. This one is really nice but god I hate the police of the numbers and the colors they choosed.

Back