Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Begins 17 April

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 10,171 comments
Well ended up 3rd in the UK and 29th in EMEA GT2, slightly gutted having been top since round 4 but given the dropped scores was always a possibility. Well done to everyone was a more enjoyable season than I was expecting.

Screenshot_20230604-080644.png

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this right - with this points system, if you score enough points to where you think you'll qualify early, it's then optimal to not enter any more rounds, because you'll take your DR out of the pool and thus make it so that your opponents can't score as many points? If so that seems like a loophole they should fix for next time.
Yeah that's right, it's trying to thread a needle where if players miss rounds it's not going to effect them negatively but as you can see the top players will exploit it if they have good opening rounds.

Not sure where this is meant to go but it is a championship event after all, anyone got any ideas on strategy for todays race at Le Mans?

Will possibly have a few attempts depending how I do as I love this track / car combination.

So now that the Nations season is over...

1685863660573.png

I'm extremely happy with that, and I think I've finally found my confidence racing in VR. :D I don't do daily races so GTWS rounds are literally the only opportunities I've had to try get used to actually racing other people with it since it launched.

Even though they changed the criteria for attaining S rank to be world finalists only towards the end of GT Sport, I still try to aim for the old cutoffs to have something to strive for. This is therefore an honorary S rank in my head, being in the top 200 overall. :lol:

I think these longer races in GT1 play into my strengths a little bit. Qualifying continues to be a weak point for me, but apparently my general consistency and ability to survive is pretty good for the high A/low A+ range. Either that or I've been extremely lucky. :dopey: I just seem to be clawing my way up from towards the back a lot lately. Rounds 4 and 5 were pain points, but other than that I had a lot of very good results.

Round 1: Q13 > P5
Round 2: Q6 > P5
Round 3: Q3 > P2
Round 4: Q3 > P8 (twice)
Round 5: Q14 > P12, Q9 > P10
Round 6: Q12 > P4
Round 7: Q12 > P4

My showdown with the other guy from East Yorkshire abruptly stopped after round 3 since he didn't take part in any further rounds beyond that. I would have come out on top if I hadn't done any more rounds either, but only via a technicality. We were tied on overall points from the first 3 rounds, but I had the higher individual points result.

What really surprised me was that another contender showed up halfway through the season who's VERY highly rated (about halfway through A+), but he only did the two Group 4 rounds. Had he done the entire season, I very much doubt I'd have been local #1.

Last edited:
Not sure where this is meant to go but it is a championship event after all, anyone got any ideas on strategy for todays race at Le Mans?

Will possibly have a few attempts depending how I do as I love this track / car combination.
There's a thread for the Toyota championship, but I think it had fallen off the front page:

You're in GT2 aren't you? From what I've seen on the guide @Mistah_MCA put up (which is greatly appreciated - thank you for spending the time making them!) I'd be going for a Medium no-stop in the 8-lap race, assuming it's a dry start with no immediate rain on the horizon. It sounds like you'll just about be able to make the tyres last that long if it stays dry.

Last edited:
There's a thread for the Toyota championship, but I think it had fallen off the front page:

You're in GT2 aren't you? From what I've seen on the guide @Mistah_MCA put up (which is greatly appreciated - thank you for spending the time making them!) I'd be going for a Medium no-stop in the 8-lap race, assuming it's a dry start with no immediate rain on the horizon. It sounds like you'll just about be able to make the tyres last that long if it stays dry.
Well already made the mistake to pit for inters as it looked like a load of rain incoming only for it never to happen despite covering the radar window, oh PD lol, won't be making that choice again.

Horrible last race for me. Missed the first race by 10 minutes or so coming back from an event. 2nd race, got punted (by a TCR tag/livery no less), then had horrible tire wear and couldn't even do the 2 stop. 3rd race, disconnected during qualifying. Sigh... Guess it just wasn't meant to be. Well, I got to the middle of A rank and top 100 in the US. That'll work for me. Next goal, A+...

But enough about me! I know most people here don't seem to actually care about the World Series events, but I do! So... Here are the preliminary Nations Cup teams. This is, of course, pending confirmation that everyone is eligible and able/willing to attend.

If the top player only is what qualifies a country
NA - 2
USA - Calen, Windfire, Cooper (R.Haywood will regret missing rounds 4-6)
Canada - E. Lim, Rush, S. Cardinal (who took it from Lester in the last race)

Asia - 2
Japan - tokari71, Takuan, CRV (Osakana missed out by 1 point)
Malaysia - D. Wigneswaran, T. AIMAN, I. Suji

LATAM - 2
Brazil - A. Carrazza, L. Bonelli, IOF
Chile - A. Inostroza, H. Walsen, N. Arriagada

Oceania - 1
NZ - McEwen, Sidawg, Atom
(Note: Nearly all the top drivers sat out the last race, meaning no one had a chance to catch McEwen. One of the flaws of this system, I guess...)

Europe - 5
Spain - J. Serrano, C. Lopez, P. Urra (N. Romero 19 behind)
France - Kylian, TSUTSU, Aphe
Italy - G. Mangano, M. Busnelli, V. Gallo
Netherlands - K. De Bruin, F. Simmerman, RK23
Belgium - Q. Jehoul, G. Baccellieri, K. De Vroe (Note: K. De Vroe is out of the top 100 in EU)
(Note: P. Blazan from Hungary ended up 25 points behind after missing the last 2 races. Coyote from the UK was 29 points behind.)

If the combined score of all 3 top players qualifies a country
NZ is replaced by Australia - G. Barbara, Emree, jeeesh
Belgium is replaced by UK - Coyote, Will, J. Balding
Thanks for this info on the qualifiers.
Brazil - IOF - is that Fraga? I didn’t think Fraga was going to be going for GTWS what with the real racing he is doing.

As for Spain Pol Urra is currently under 18. He turns 18 this year but I’m not sure if he turns 18 before the Amsterdam event. Could be Nico Romero attending in his place.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this right - with this points system, if you score enough points to where you think you'll qualify early, it's then optimal to not enter any more rounds, because you'll take your DR out of the pool and thus make it so that your opponents can't score as many points? If so that seems like a loophole they should fix for next time.
Yeah when you enter your DR score determines how many points are available to be won. Once the top drivers drop out from the rounds the points start to decrease which then basically become impossible for some to qualify.
In EMEA Jose Serrano only did the first 3 rounds as he won all 3 and picked enough points to qualify. With him also not entering the last 3 rounds he basically removed his DR score from points you can win. It’s a stupid system really.

Final standings from Nation's:
Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 10.45.02 AM.png

Ended up being ranked much lower than I thought I would this season, despite 3 finishes over 270 points.

For comparison, here was my result after last year's first official Nation's season (same number of counted rounds):
Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 10.48.55 AM.png

While I did end up with 26 more points last year, even if I'd scored 26 fewer points to end up with the same total as I had this year, I would've placed 17th overall and 11th in the US.

Captura de pantalla 2023-06-04 172112.png

Funny how my second best round is actually my worst race ever. It was such a strong lobby for me finishing last gave me a lot of points. I'm sure I could have gotten way more points at Maggiore if I had tried a second time, but I like the idea of not having second chances.

Last edited:
If the top player only is what qualifies a country
NA - 2
USA - Calen, Windfire, Cooper (R.Haywood will regret missing rounds 4-6)
Canada - E. Lim, Rush, S. Cardinal (who took it from Lester in the last race)

Asia - 2
Japan - tokari71, Takuan, CRV (Osakana missed out by 1 point)
Malaysia - D. Wigneswaran, T. AIMAN, I. Suji

LATAM - 2
Brazil - A. Carrazza, L. Bonelli, IOF
Chile - A. Inostroza, H. Walsen, N. Arriagada

Oceania - 1
NZ - McEwen, Sidawg, Atom
(Note: Nearly all the top drivers sat out the last race, meaning no one had a chance to catch McEwen. One of the flaws of this system, I guess...)

Europe - 5
Spain - J. Serrano, C. Lopez, P. Urra (N. Romero 19 behind)
France - Kylian, TSUTSU, Aphe
Italy - G. Mangano, M. Busnelli, V. Gallo
Netherlands - K. De Bruin, F. Simmerman, RK23
Belgium - Q. Jehoul, G. Baccellieri, K. De Vroe (Note: K. De Vroe is out of the top 100 in EU)
(Note: P. Blazan from Hungary ended up 25 points behind after missing the last 2 races. Coyote from the UK was 29 points behind.)

If the combined score of all 3 top players qualifies a country
NZ is replaced by Australia - G. Barbara, Emree, jeeesh
Belgium is replaced by UK - Coyote, Will, J. Balding
What's interesting here is that I've looked through the terms and conditions you get at signup (which should be available on the game's website but for some reason aren't - or at least aren't readily; same goes for 2022 actually) and I cannot find any explicit determination of how the "Top 12 Countries" will be selected.

However, I do have a third option: if the top player in each round is converted to a points score, like Manufacturers Cup, and the aggregate score is what qualifies a country.

I'm assuming that not to be the case, because I imagine this would have been communicated better to the S Rank players and Oceania gives a clear indication that if it had been they'd have done things differently. All three top NZ players skipped out every race after R3 (with the exception of Atom who drove in R6), and if the Manufacturers-style points were a thing that guarantees failure:

AUS - 36, 40, 36, 40, 40, 40, 40 = 272
NZL - 40, 36, 40, 36, 36, 36, 36 = 260

As a result, I can't be bothered trying to work it out for other, more complex regions :lol:

Yea, PD definitely needs to redo how they do this. Never in my life, have I seen so few of races count to what a fair amount of people consider a pretty big deal.

Dropped into @Tidgney ACC stream yesterday, and he had some pretty good ideas on how they could overhaul this whole system

Thanks for this info on the qualifiers.
Brazil - IOF - is that Fraga? I didn’t think Fraga was going to be going for GTWS what with the real racing he is doing.

As for Spain Pol Urra is currently under 18. He turns 18 this year but I’m not sure if he turns 18 before the Amsterdam event. Could be Nico Romero attending in his place.

Yeah when you enter your DR score determines how many points are available to be won. Once the top drivers drop out from the rounds the points start to decrease which then basically become impossible for some to qualify.
In EMEA Jose Serrano only did the first 3 rounds as he won all 3 and picked enough points to qualify. With him also not entering the last 3 rounds he basically removed his DR score from points you can win. It’s a stupid system really.
IOF is Fraga, yes.

tokari71 is also 17 but turns 18 soon, as I mentioned before. While checking his Twitter again I noticed he's been doing the TGR round, while racing at a F4 weekend... So I guess Fraga isn't the only one!

I do agree that more rounds should count. If they're too worried about people getting burned out, then they should make the races weekly instead of compressing them this much. There's no reason the whole season needs to be crammed into less than a month...
Yea, PD definitely needs to redo how they do this. Never in my life, have I seen so few of races count to what a fair amount of people consider a pretty big deal.

Dropped into @Tidgney ACC stream yesterday, and he had some pretty good ideas on how they could overhaul this whole system
Any summary of what he said? His ACC streams are long!

IOF is Fraga, yes.

tokari71 is also 17 but turns 18 soon, as I mentioned before. While checking his Twitter again I noticed he's been doing the TGR round, while racing at a F4 weekend... So I guess Fraga isn't the only one!

I do agree that more rounds should count. If they're too worried about people getting burned out, then they should make the races weekly instead of compressing them this much. There's no reason the whole season needs to be crammed into less than a month...

The jist of it was more races. More races that count. And perhaps a dedicated “e-sports” time slot for the FIA rounds. He argued that if you’re actually serious about making the final, that you’re going to do whatever time commitment it takes to practice, and make the time slots. He also commented on how if you look at the top drivers daily mileage IG, they’re putting something like 8+ hours a day into the game.

There was more GT related stuff in general about how they could do better races, longer races, team races. How Sony….and not PD pull most of the strings when it comes to major game decisions. How PD does pay attention to streams/website comments….how they do play other racing games, ect. But I just had the stream playing on my earphones through my digital Walkman as I cooked an cleaned

…For better or worse, if you want to make it “big” in this game, you have to treat it like a job.

Last edited:
I have to agree with that. What ever happened to the Top 20/16 Superstars races? I thought the schedule implied they were doing something similar here, but, apparently not.

I'm looking to step away from my usual choice of Ford for the upcoming Manufactures Cup as the new update has made my usual go to car in the Mustang near impossible for me to drive. Plus, I think it is time for a change anyway. I was leaning towards McLaren as I like how stable (for my driving style at least) the cars are and they were nice and easy to drive with the testing I did. I don't know how well they can keep up with the rest of the field though. I seen some praise in the thread for the McLaren so it must not be a bad option.

Any others I should consider signing up with? I'm open to some suggestions and will use the new daily races to do some testing. I'm in GT2 and it probably won't matter what I pick anyway. I just want to have some enjoyable racing and see what I can do with a new manufacturer.

I'm looking to step away from my usual choice of Ford for the upcoming Manufactures Cup as the new update has made my usual go to car in the Mustang near impossible for me to drive. Plus, I think it is time for a change anyway. I was leaning towards McLaren as I like how stable (for my driving style at least) the cars are and they were nice and easy to drive with the testing I did. I don't know how well they can keep up with the rest of the field though. I seen some praise in the thread for the McLaren so it must not be a bad option.

Any others I should consider signing up with? I'm open to some suggestions and will use the new daily races to do some testing. I'm in GT2 and it probably won't matter what I pick anyway. I just want to have some enjoyable racing and see what I can do with a new manufacturer.
Well obviously Nissan will be a solid choice, as well as Toyota and Mercedes. If you can drive the gr3 Ferrari then that could work too, the gr4 458 is great in current bop. I also think Hyundai or Subaru could work too.

Last edited:

In GT2 you should pick what ever you feel is the most fun to drive.
I picked the Alfa but McLaren was up there in choices too,

Nice.
Pity the stupid mandatory number board will go right over the Raiders logo.
I do wish we were able to place it ourselfs - what will happen if you do place the actual GT number board ahead? it will use the one you already placed or you get another there?

Last edited:
I do wish we were able to place it ourselfs - what will happen if you do place the actual GT number board ahead? it will use the one you already placed or you get another there?
It just gets replaced by the GTWS one when you enter the lobby.

I'm having some Ferrari regrets already. Took the Gr3 machine out for some practice races in BoP conditions - holy hell it's tail happy. Tyre wear should be interesting and there's no way I make it round the Ring 3 times without binning it.

My backup account is around the same DR so I may enter that one as well with something slightly saner.

I’ve adjusted my liveries to compensate for the number board.
As other stated, selected the Type 2 number board in the race options and then build the livery around it. When I’ve done I remove the number board and then just have a blank space. I think the GTWS number board is just slightly bigger and a little off centre than the type 2. One of my liveries the GTWS covered a little bit of a few decals, plus I could see a portion of my own number board behind as it wasn’t lined up correctly, so I just leave a blank space now.

————————

Hopefully the servers get fixed asap before Manufactures. Seem loads of people getting DC on the daily races.

IOF is Fraga, yes.

There's alot in my view that needs changing with the current format, both to allow players who aren't realistically competing for world tour spots (Alot of A and A+ have been absolutely shafted by the new format) but also for those that want to compete for it. Like for me in a nut shell the major problems are;
  1. The points system is not progressive in the slightest it has a very weird adjustment to it which means tanking DR can be beneficial to those competing. I have supplied to PD more than once my formula (That does work, I'm yet to see an example where it doesn't), and also other players have to.
  2. A and A+ only getting 3 slots vs others getting 10 actually ruins it for both sides of the League. Lower end of GT1 who aren't realistically competing for the places at a live event only get 3 slots they can make where they may want to enjoy a day of racing. You'll get people tanking DR to B so they can actually do that meaning that GT2/GT3 are then impacted by players they wouldn't normally compete with.
  3. Points Manipulation for competitors. It comes up every single year without fail about players who ask people not to enter 1 lobby and then enter the next and so on for those competing.

I did talk about a solution which would help solve the majority of problems quite quickly in that lets say you have 10 slots for a region, anyone can race any of the 10 slots. Make 1 of the slots (Probably more centred to the larger population of the player base, e.g. in EMEA time slots focused at CET or CEST as I think 3 of the top 6 countries are on that time, UK is 1 hour behind). I can't remember the population split last time but the top playing countries I think were (USA, UK, Japan, France, Spain and Germany) not in any order that either. But make 1 of the slots lets say 7pm CEST the esports slot. So the points in this slot get applied to the championship while the rest of the points are for fun. In my opinion IF you really want to qualify for an event and you have the ability/skill you will make the time, I certainly had to when I was doing it and if you don't then that's unfortunate. You could also steward the top split or even top few if you knew when the esports split was. You could also commentate on it and actually livestream it as well (Builds up the fan base, and peoples favourite racers). You don't need to pay for your premium commentators I'm sure GT could grab members of the community to commentate on these (Who have already been commentating) and more would be happy to... and guess what? That allows upcoming commentators to also have a shot at what they are passionate about.

Obviously there are plenty of problems within it but I feel like they're trying to solve all problems while catering for everyone when everyones goals are different with Nations and Manufacturers. I'm not saying my solution is right either I'm just saying it's "a" solution, one of many that I imagine alot of people have.

Back