2023 Mini Cooper/Countryman- all new generation, will feature EV technologies

They could have revisited these:
View attachment 1245332
View attachment 1245333

More round like the originals as well,
View attachment 1245334

Just what I said. Can’t see how they’re missing that.
Okay now I see where you're coming from. I agree with this but it's not a deal breaker for me. The basic framing of the design is the bigger issue for me. And to expand on framing further, you bring up another good point that both of our examples show. They got rid of the chrome framing along the beltline, headlights, and taillights. I hate that. The chrome strips had a classic retro elegance and also provided premium contrast and solidity to the design. This new car's lights are just sorta there, just like any other run-of-the-mill brand with lazy design.

Last edited:
Yeah, they’ve just not treated the rear like the front. At least the grille has a touch of jeweller, but the rear is left out.

I am too digging the lack of rear overhang, that was the main thing I loved, when I had my ‘05 Charade(just like the silver one)-other than it being the Tardis inside.
1680639567491.jpeg

I think I like it overall. I feel like its missing something though but I think that it will look really great in person.

It's fine. It'll do. But it's too smooth and not classically inspired enough.

As an urban run-around, I think an electric mini makes a ton of sense. Anyways it makes more sense than an EV adventure van or pickup truck packing 2,000lb+ batteries.

At least it's not a rectangular display in a circular bezel...but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it.

I like the screen. They already had a bigass round thing that was pointless, might as well turn it into a screen. They didn't even have to redesign the interior to adapt it lol.

Man if Mini can deliver these to US buyers around the $30k mark and qualify for the tax rebates, I might just pick one up. For me it would serve all of my sub-50 mile radius driving where I don't need a lot of space. For any driving outside of that circle or if I do need space, I have my CR-V.

The round screen is super cool but...I need to see Apple Carplay on it. I literally do not care what any carmaker comes up with unless I can plug my phone in or set it on a charger and tell Siri to take me somewhere.

Last edited:
No more tachometer? :(

edit: I don't remember if this new Mini is EV only. If it is, the lack of a tach makes sense...

Last edited:
No more tachometer? :(

edit: I don't remember if this new Mini is EV only. If it is, the lack of a tach makes sense...
There is going to be a new ICE Hatch sold along the EV, but that'll be on a different platform and will most likely have a more conventional interior with a tachometer.

Some new images and video of the screen

1690491258017.png

1690491268614.png

1690491688662.png

1690491286869.png

1690491301143.png

1690491330607.png

1690491347187.png

Mini seems to be especially proud of the circular OLED display that sits in the middle of the dashboard and has a diameter of 9.44 inches (240 millimeters). It says this is the industry’s first display of this size to feature OLED technology and more importantly, it will make its debut on the next-generation Mini models using the Mini Operating System 9. This is the latest version of BMW Group’s infotainment software based on an Android Open Source Project (AOSP) software stack.

The new round display is also home to Mini’s new cloud-based navigation system, which provides charging-optimized route planning for the electric versions of the new Mini Cooper. Three-dimensional maps and an AI view are some of the new features the navigation system receives. The screen also provides access to the so-called Mini Experience Modes – Core, Green, and Go-Kart, each of which has its own specific interface design and additional light and sound effects.

“Hey Mini” activates the company’s new intelligent voice assistant called Spike. It provides quick and easy control through voice commands of functions such as navigation, telephony, radio, and temperature. Optional 5G connectivity ensures the new interface can be quickly updated through over-the-air updates, which should happen several times a year. Last but not least, the high-speed connectivity provides access to the Mini Connected Store where different applications can be downloaded, including AirConsole games, video streaming apps, Spotify, and others.

Last edited:
Neither of them look like the steering wheel telescopes far enough to be remotely comfortable for a proportional person.

Maybe good enough for the obvious short trips then? Those fabric interiors(if I was in the market, I’d ditch those leather seats) look more like show pieces. Picking up almond milk. Having a water while it’s charging with other MINIs. Trip to a vineyard. Shopping for plants. Parked up at the beach, watching the sunset.

Maybe good enough for the obvious short trips then? Those fabric interiors(if I was in the market, I’d ditch those leather seats) look more like show pieces. Picking up almond milk. Having a water while it’s charging with other MINIs. Trip to a vineyard. Shopping for plants. Parked up at the beach, watching the sunset.
Australia and California have so much in common with each other. I didn't realize who posted this until after I read it, I assumed it was @Eunos_Cosmo or somebody else on the west coast.

By that I mean somebody who never leaves their own massive, sprawling city. Just like the cities in Australia. If you ever need to go anywhere, you hop on a plane because you have to, because anywhere else you might want to go would require huffing it for a week like an American pioneer or something.

From a North American perspective, literally nobody in the US who lives between New York City and Los Angeles does what you just described. If the trip is less than 8 hours we don't even consider buying a plane ticket, hell, that's only half a day, we'll be there in time for a late lunch. We drive. Specifically, we load up the family, the bags, and the dog, and drive 400+ miles on a tank of gas - or try to until the wife and daughter have to pee.

190 miles is completely useless for the vast majority of us. 250 ain't great. 287 in the Countryman is slightly closer but it's also a bigger car designed to carry more people and more weight, negating the advantage. And it's gotta be able to do it during a frigid Midwest winter which is just impossible. Starting with 250 miles of range and losing 30%+ of it because the heater is on the entire time is untenable.

These small EVs and cars like them haven't been selling worth a damn and they won't for another 10+ years until batteries can crank out 300 miles during January in Cleveland. Nobody living in the big coastal cities has any idea what its like to deal with that.

Last edited:
Australia and California have so much in common with each other. I didn't realize who posted this until after I read it, I assumed it was @Eunos_Cosmo or somebody else on the west coast.

By that I mean somebody who never leaves their own massive, sprawling city. Just like the cities in Australia. If you ever need to go anywhere, you hop on a plane because you have to, because anywhere else you might want to go would require huffing it for a week like an American pioneer or something.

From a North American perspective, literally nobody in the US who lives between New York City and Los Angeles does what you just described. If the trip is less than 8 hours we don't even consider buying a plane ticket, hell, that's only half a day, we'll be there in time for a late lunch. We drive. Specifically, we load up the family, the bags, and the dog, and drive 400+ miles on a tank of gas - or try to until the wife and daughter have to pee.

190 miles is completely useless for the vast majority of us. 250 ain't great. 287 in the Countryman is slightly closer but it's also a bigger car designed to carry more people and more weight, negating the advantage. And it's gotta be able to do it during a frigid Midwest winter which is just impossible. Starting with 250 miles of range and losing 30%+ of it because the heater is on the entire time is untenable.

These small EVs and cars like them haven't been selling worth a damn and they won't for another 10+ years until batteries can crank out 300 miles during January in Cleveland. Nobody living in the big coastal cities has any idea what its like to deal with that.
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Back