2023 Toyota Prius (5th gen) - It's not ugly!

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT

1668575143543.png

1668575130555.png

1668575135162.png

1668575138525.png

1668575153343.png

1668575162254.png

Toyota has unveiled the all-new Prius for the first time globally, with Series Parallel Hybrid (HEV) models to launch in winter this year and Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) models to launch in spring 2023.

2.0-liter Plug-in Hybrid System

The new Prius comes with Toyota's first 2.0-liter Plug-in Hybrid System to deliver acceleration and quietness that are dramatically improved from the previous model. The combination of a high-efficiency Dynamic Force Engine and lithium-ion batteries for high output drive achieve maximum system output*4 of as much as 164 kW (223 PS) while maintaining the same level of fuel efficiency*4 as the previous model. This version has outstanding dynamic performance with the powerful acceleration of a PHEV, achieving 0-100 km/h in 6.7 seconds*4.

EV driving range is about 50% higher than the previous model. This means that, with improved battery performance, the new Prius can operate on EV mode alone for most daily drives.

With the PHEV, the battery pack is located under the rear seat instead of in the cargo area, giving the new Prius a lower center of gravity and increased cargo capacity.

2.0-liter / 1.8-liter Series Parallel Hybrid System

This version of the new Prius employs the latest Series Parallel Hybrid System. It offers satisfying acceleration and responsive driving in a car that reacts as expected while maintaining the same level of fuel efficiency*4 as the previous model. Maximum system output is 144 kW (193 PS)*4 for the 2.0-liter version, which is 1.6 times higher*5 than the previous model, achieving an appropriate dynamic performance for the sporty new Prius.

Looks completely different than the previous Prius for me

Well i kinda like it

Attachments

• 960x0.jpg
    960x0.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 11
Out of all the car reveals so far this year, this has to be the most pleasant surprise... A Prius that actually looks desirable! :eek:

Could pass for a renewed Isuzu Impulse. Pretty neat. The yellow is fine. Hope there are some nice colors other than white, red, silver and black.

I actually really like that. It's not 'oh it's good for a Prius' either, it's just a good looking car. Futuristic looking, but isn't adorned with slashes and cuts in the body for no reason (unlike most of Toyota's line-up, go figure).
Hope there are some nice colors other than white, red, silver and black.
I hoping they'd offer a metallic blue similar one used in the promo shots of the current Corolla (actual name escapes me), that looks excellent and I think a shade like that would look good on here.

From this angle, it reminds me a lot of the third generation Prius.
2013-Prius-2.jpeg

It is certainly a more attractive design than previous generations, but what I don't like is the new Toyota corporate face with the bZ4X and other upcoming EV/PHEV models. I understand it's likely for not only efficiency in manufacturing and aerodynamics, but also pedestrian safety, etc. I just wish more manufacturers did different designs for each model like Hyundai/Kia, but Toyota doesn't make their own steel/materials like the Koreans.
bZ-lineup.jpg

An actual desirable Prius.

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.
Not coming to the UK though.

In a statement sent to Autocar, Toyota said: "With our evolving UK product strategy and changing market conditions, we have taken the decision not to introduce the new generation Prius in the UK as the new model represents a very different proposition to its predecessor, alongside a clear shift in UK consumer demand towards more SUV style vehicles.

It doesn't really suit my needs anyway, but it would have been nice to see them on the roads and perhaps experience them on the inside on those very occasional taxi rides i take.

Boo hiss, to the SUV-only future direction. He says as an SUV owner.

Looks really nice honestly. Exterior and interior are both massive, titanic steps forward in design compared to the 4th gen. This is exactly the right car for commuters, IMO. BEVs have unnecessarily large batteries for what they typically actually do. The Prius is still relevant.

Never have I once thought I'd say this about a Prius, but it's actually very good looking. Good looking for a Toyota and extremely good looking for a Prius. Perhaps Toyota has finally realized that hybrids are yesterday’s tech, and don’t need “interesting” (intentionally ugly) design. This is going to put the Model 3 to shame.

Though, the biggest thing irking me is that the US version has not been unveiled, and that the Japan/EU design may very well not be available in the States. I fear that when it arrives in the US, it will be available in 5 different shades of grey, black, white, and silver. The yellow color will be a faint memory. It will probably get a redesigned front clip that looks like a bulldog eating a pork chop and 24 inch wheels with murdered out black rims.

As an aside, it's incredible how much the proportions of the Prius have changed over 25 years.

Thumbnail

Maybe vs the first gen, but the second gen onwards has had the same general kamm tail profile - if you showed me the profile of the new one without knowing what it was, I think I could have accurately guessed it was a Prius. I had a suspicion that Toyota was going to try to make the Prius look actually good rather than simply weird because they've lost huge amounts of market share to competitors - they needed a quality product here. If they build this car in the States and only offer it as PHEV (with the resulting Tax credit) I think this could mount a serious competition to the ubiquitous Tesla Model 3.

I'm so glad that Toyota and Honda have started to sort out their, what I would describe as, dumb as **** design language from the last decade or so and start to make cars that actually look unfussy, cohesive and decent again. Gives me hope for a 4th gen MR2, particularly as Toyota (I think rightly) has refused to commit itself to be an entirely BEV manufacturer.

Last edited:
Kinda digging this one. AWD, 220 hp?!?, 57 mpg. I'm not sure where it fits in my garage, but I'm intrigued.
+ ~40miles of all-electric range. For most people this is enough to cover commutes and errands completely.
The 2022 Prius Prime has 640 miles of total range (with a fairly modest 11 gallon fuel tank) so I would expect the new one to do even better.

If you assume an average of 15,000 miles driven per year (US average per vehicle, roughly) and that 80% of your trips are less than the 40 mile electric range (leaving about 3,000 miles driven on some amount of gasoline) and 95% of your trips are less than 100 miles (leaving somewhere around 2,850 miles covered in this range) a full tank of gas will probably last at least at least 4 months for most people. (100-40 mile BEV range = 60 miles on gas = ~1 gallon of gas. You could do this 11 times before needing to refuel, covering over 1,100 miles!, as long as you made a habit of recharging. 2,850 miles / 1,100 = 2.5 times per year - refueling every 4.8 months or so, neatly periodicized)

This thing is kind of awesome.

Last edited:
They should make a GR Prius. There were already rumors that the GR86 successor will have the 3 cylinder from the Yaris and Corolla and a hybrid from the Crown. Would be cool to have something similar in a sporty Prius

Also, the two layer lights on the Prius sort of remind me of the ones on the SF90, except they're reversed, where the main beam is on the top layer for the SF90 and it's on the lower layer on the Prius

1668805986285.png

Last edited:
Never have I once thought I'd say this about a Prius, but it's actually very good looking. Good looking for a Toyota and extremely good looking for a Prius. Perhaps Toyota has finally realized that hybrids are yesterday’s tech, and don’t need “interesting” (intentionally ugly) design. This is going to put the Model 3 to shame.
It also helps that battery and motor tech have improved exponentially now that there's an actual market segement with competition, so they're not quite as reliant on aerodynamics to get decent performance with those higher MPG figures. That means designers don't have to try and camoflage the old "hybrid hump" you'd see in so many cars of the past.

Other than the typical black wheel arches that are unneeded, I like it!
Does anyone know why the black trim is on every car these days? Is making a car look like it has more fender gap a thing now? The only logical explanation I can think of is a lazy/cheap attempt at avoiding the rust that is so common on metal-fender vehicles, but why not at least paint-match the plastic? Painted trim improves the new WRX so much.

Car looks great, though.

Last edited:
I think it's a combination of buyers wanting things that look "rugged", and designers trying to hide how tall and slab-sided new cars have become for crash safety.

Does anyone know why the black trim is on every car these days? Is making a car look like it has more fender gap a thing now? The only logical explanation I can think of is a lazy/cheap attempt at avoiding the rust that is so common on metal-fender vehicles, but why not at least paint-match the plastic? Painted trim improves the new WRX so much.

Car looks great, though.
I doubt it would improve the rust situation. If anything, I guess it would make it worse by trapping moisture between the plastic and metal. More than that, I don't think this would be a strong consideration of the manufacturer since rust tends to appear long after any warranty period is over.

I suspect that casting plastic wheel arches is easier/cheaper/faster to produce than stamping them from metal with any degree of detail. Same reason that plastic front fascia keeps creeping further and further along the fronts of cars. Modern car exteriors are a mess in terms of detailing and I think it's a result of relentless cost cutting with regards to assembly ease and speed. You don't have to take care with tolerances as much if panels go together in simplistic ways with a bunch of plastic to cover up poor fitment. I always look at the E46 BMW 3 series as kind of a pinnacle of very fine detail, how all of the panel joins just work harmoniously with the design - just look at how complicated of a part the hood/bonnet on an E46 is compared to the 3 series that followed. Car manufacturers have replaced that harmony and well resolved detail with loud body lines and creases to distract from more sloppy and basic details, because the vast majority of car buyers don't consciously see the difference (though I suspect they might unconsciously notice) and "we have the best panel organization!" is not really as marketable as "look how many screens we have (don't notice that to stay in budget, the body is now ****)". A car manufacturer has to really want to make a nice exterior for it to happen, knowing full well it will be lost on most buyers, and Genesis is about the only car maker in the non-exotic realm willing to do that, because they have something to prove.

The short version of this is that I think across the entire automotive industry, development & manufacturing budgets have shifted from car exteriors to car interiors and tech features in this annoying tech arms race and paid for it with poorly resolved car bodies and lazy details like stupid hood shut lines and plastic wheel arches that they've tried to paper over/conceal with extrovert design language. Its like the difference between a Renzo Piano building (BMW E46) and a Frank Ghery building (BMW F82) - you just don't want to look at the second one too close (I mean, or at all with regards to the F82).

EDIT: to unnecessarily drive my point home, take a look at an E46 front fender
E46.jpg

now compare that to an F10 front fender:
F10.jpg

E46 Hood
E46HOOD.jpg

F10 Hood
F10 HOOD.jpg

The differences are huge, and those are only 2 generations apart.

Last edited:
Modern cars have flat surfaces where the metal approaches the wheel well due to the way metal stamping works according to Volvo designers

1670614921579.png

You see that? What’s that flat strip of body possibly for? To find out, I reached out to Volvo designer T. Jon Mayer, who I’d previously met on the first drive event for the new 2019 Volvo S60.

The initial purpose of including the flattened arch in the design is for structural support of the stamped panels. Apparently it’s as simple as that. Here’s how T. Jon explained it to me, edited for clarity:

“The wheel arch flat, which is the flat surface before the end of [the panel], which is common on most cars these days, helps to structurally support the metal and the stamping of that area. And then what we’ve added on top of that is what we call a little sickle, sort of a little undercut there of a feature, first shown on the Concept Coupe from 2013.”

“Where you have more definition in a crease in sheetmetal, it’s able to hold the shape more accurately. So if you do put a crease in something, generally it holds that shape better.”

“We do play around with those, trying to get those openings of the wheel arches to be quite circular looking, even though they are not quite circles. It’s kind of an optical illusion.”

Then, in a review for the CX-30, Mazda designer said that to reduce the visual mass of the vehicle, they use plastic cladding to reduce the length from the wheel opening to the rear window

1670615169529.png

I think for the Prius, it is a combination of all of these. By having that small strip of cladding around the wheel wells, it slightly reduces the visual body mass of the car while also increasing the visual size of the wheels to make the car look sportier

Last edited:

Car looks great, though.
Design is subjective but you're in the minority in interpreting black wheel arches as a larger wheel gap rather than a smaller body mass. Like the others have said, most people primarily focus on the painted body of the car, and because modern cars have such high belt lines and are generally thick and tall for safety, reducing visual mass keeps the car looking proportionate. Some cars like the CX-30 seem to have gotten out of hand in still images but when you see it in motion it's just as attractive as a 3 hatch despite being quite a big taller.

Back