Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT

The AMG V8 is dead as the age of electrification begins

1663778248116.png

1663778263504.png

1663778273330.png

1663778280742.png

The figurative heart and soul of the Mercedes-AMG C63 is its turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four, codenamed M139. Even without the help of the hybrid drive system, the internal-combustion engine makes 476 hp (350 kW), making it the most powerful production four-banger on the planet. As on the less powerful C43 model, the engine features an electrically driven turbocharger that reduces lag to almost imperceptible levels. Derived from Formula 1 technology, the turbocharger features a tiny electric motor between the exhaust turbine and the compressor wheel, which spins the turbo up to create boost as soon as the driver calls for it.

But while 476 horses might have been sufficient a few years ago, today’s super-sedan shopper demands more. That’s where the rear-mounted electric motor comes in. Working with a 6.1-kilowatt-hour battery and 400-volt electrical architecture, the motor pushes 204 hp (150 kW) to the road – either by itself or in tandem with the gas engine. In the former case, the C63 will be capable of about 8 miles of all-electric driving, but as AMG Chief Technical Officer Jochen Hermann said, the electrification strategy isn’t really focused on efficiency.

With all cylinders firing and a peak 150 kW of electrons flowing out of the battery, the C63 produces that aforementioned 671 hp and 752 lb-ft, helping it hit 60 miles per hour in a manufacturer-claimed 3.3 seconds. That’s about half a second quicker than the outgoing C63, with a top speed that nearly matches its predecessor at 174 mph with an optional AMG Driver’s package – the old C63 S could hit 180 mph, but who's counting?

Part and parcel of the acceleration experience is a now-familiar nine-speed multi-clutch transmission. Distinct from a dual-clutch gearbox, the AMG Speedshift MCT uses a complex, wet clutch pack instead of a torque converter, helping the C63 respond more readily to the throttle than a conventional automatic, but with better low-speed refinement than a dual-clutch gearbox. What’s more, the electric motor features its own two-speed gearbox, ensuring plenty of e-boost even when traveling at high speeds.

And for the first time in history, the hottest C-Class will offer all-wheel drive. The so-called 4Matic+ system features an electronically controlled limited-slip rear differential, although the electric motor acts directly on the rear axle for near-instant response. What’s more, a clutch system allows the electric motor to spin the driveshaft as well, which in turn rotates the front wheels. That means that even when operating in pure EV mode, the C63 always has four-wheel traction.

The Mercedes-AMG C63 S E Performance will go on sale in global markets early next year, likely as a 2023 model. However, Americans will have to wait until the 2024 model year to get their hands on the four-cylinder AMG super sedan, with deliveries probably starting here in September or October.

1663778667078.png

1663778676543.png

There's also a wagon version, but that is not coming to America

470HP from a 2.0L Pot-4 is actually insane. With the full 680HP, this thing looks like it'll be an understated heart-attack on wheels.

I read that weight figure(s) and thought it was a typo at first. Seriously, what the heck? A C-Class that weighs more than the Audi RS6?

At least it doesn't look as weird as the current M3. 🤔

The tech sounds cool but the car itself sounded underwhelming compared to the predecessors.

But I don't know though, maybe I'll grown to like it.

They did everything right and yet it sucks. Not desirable.

I'm also eager to see if this engine and do 200,000 miles. AMG's V8s can because they're genuinely good engines.

It looks great and will no doubt be very fast, but I'm sorry, 2.1 tonnes??

That is utterly ridiculous and by far the biggest downside to this car. Bigger even than the 4 cylinder engine...

Last edited:
I like the looks of this thing! Inside and out! The power too!! However, today we have a new kid on the block Tesla Model 3 performance and having driven a Model Y long range for two weeks, I truly don't see how this will make sense in the performance side when those full electrics are just so much instantaneously faster. This looks like a super complicated service job with the multiple systems it runs inside. two gearboxes, and combustion engine and an electric motor and battery and a super tuned 4 cylinder.🤔🤔🤔

The Model Y I drove was just surreal fast. Beat any AMG V8 I had driven before (SLS, AMG GTS, AMG C63, AMG ML63, AMG G63) Yet it just looked simple. So weird but it also spoiled me. The power was so instantaneous that it begged to defy everything I knew about very fast cars to that point.

GMW
I like the looks of this thing! Inside and out! The power too!! However, today we have a new kid on the block Tesla Model 3 performance and having driven a Model Y long range for two weeks, I truly don't see how this will make sense in the performance side when those full electrics are just so much instantaneously faster. This looks like a super complicated service job with the multiple systems it runs inside. two gearboxes, and combustion engine and an electric motor and battery and a super tuned 4 cylinder.🤔🤔🤔

The Model Y I drove was just surreal fast. Beat any AMG V8 I had driven before (SLS, AMG GTS, AMG C63, AMG ML63, AMG G63) Yet it just looked simple. So weird but it also spoiled me. The power was so instantaneous that it begged to defy everything I knew about very fast cars to that point.
I get why people still hanker after internal combustion engined cars over EVs, even if the EV's are other-worldly quicker. But a 4-pot AMG? The Previous C63, although somewhat slower than the new one, at least had a stonking V8 under the hood. As impresive as a 470hp 4-pot is, it's hardly going to stir the soul. Just totally electrify it and be done.

So is there a reason they couldn't have made a smaller displacement V8 and attached the hybrid system to that? At least it wouldn't have been lame. Give it like a 3.0 V8 or something idk. Low displacement, still efficient at low speed and idle, hybrid can do the dawdling, sounds like a ripper. Perfect combo.

Or just try to sell us an $80,000 SRT4, whatever.

IRL impressions of the new C63 including the sound, but they weren't allowed to drive it just yet, only a passenger seat ride along

I think this pretty much sums it up, I know Shmee's average viewer isn't necessarily representative of the kind of person who would buy the car but it backs up what I'm seeing in this thread:

1665504136114.png

2024 C63 F1 Edition unveiled. No mechanical changes, but this edition comes with the AMG aerodynamics package, AMG night package, and is finished in Alpine Grey with red accents.

Sheesh, this is not subtle at all. Not far off from going full BMW.

1666709494599.png

1666709507416.png

Last edited:
2024 C63 F1 Edition unveiled. No mechanical changes, but this edition comes with the AMG aerodynamics package, AMG night package, and is finished in Alpine Grey with red accents.

Sheesh, this is not subtle at all. Not far off from going full BMW.

View attachment 1203438
Wrong thread? :odd:
Quick glance, reminds me of the Alfa Guilia.
1666732946134.jpeg

It seems like BMW, Mercedes and Audi really don’t care what happens at the back. As long as the front has a familiar grille with the badge, everything else doesn’t matter, including the interior.

VXR
AMG have been ruined from what they once were.
The current line up according to the Mercedes UK website has 37 separate full AMG models currently available for sale. There used to be what, four or five? at any particular time.

Seeing an AMG on the road used to be a rare occurance, i bet 20-30% of all new Merc's i see now are AMG versions. Its no doubt a massive money spinner for them, but they're not seen as very special any more.

Last edited:
Reviews are out, and as expected they are not full of praise...

This has to be one of the most disappointing performance cars to be released in recent years, and it is not like the hybrid system is adding much benefit. It only covers up to 8 miles on electric power alone and once that's depleted, you're left with ~470hp pushing around over 2.1 tonnes... At that point, it is basically a much heavier C43 AMG. :boggled:

According to Car And Driver, the C63 and E63 will have the V8 again in 2026. It is currently being modified to meet EU7 emission standards. It and a hybrid system will fit in either car with only minor body changes

• We hear that Mercedes-AMG is considering bringing the V-8 back to the high-performance C-class and E-class models.
  • The twin-turbo 4.0-liter V-8 could possibly be combined with a hybrid setup, as in the AMG GT63 S E Performance and AMG S63.
  • These V-8 models could arrive as soon as 2026, sources say.
The most powerful AMG C-class, the C63, traded the V-8 for a hybridized turbo-four, and the next top-of-the-line E-class, the upcoming E63, will make do with an inline-six plug-in-hybrid setup. Some say that's not good enough to do battle with the BMW M3, which has a twin-turbo inline-six, and the future BMW M5, which is slated to have a hybrid setup with a twin-turbo V-8. The upcoming Audi RS5 and RS7 will also be powered by a V-6 hybrid good for up to 640 horsepower.

The only escape route out of this dilemma is the reinstitution of the M177 4.0-liter V-8 engine, which will return to the C- and E-class in 2026, two independent sources say. The eight-cylinder is currently being modified to meet EU7 emissions standards.

According to senior engineers directly involved in the matter, both the C-class and E-class need only minor bodywork changes to accommodate the twin-turbo powerplant, the PHEV battery plus electric motor, and the auxiliary equipment. Since the C- and E-class are under evaluation for a life-cycle extension beyond 2028, the hardcore AMG versions may remain in production well into the next decade.

So do we think the 4cyl car’s value will rank in the next five years or increase? I vote tank, although there’s an argument for owning a universally scorned model.

So do we think the 4cyl car’s value will rank in the next five years or increase? I vote tank, although there’s an argument for owning a universally scorned model.
When the V8 model returns to the market and while it is on sale, I'm expecting values of the 4cyl to plummet. If the successor to the V8 model is fully electric, I can see the 4cyl's value picking up again given the (probable) rarity and quirky story to tell about how this was packed full of technology that had virtually no appeal in the real-world.

Then it will plummet again once every third-party warranty provider will be reluctant to provide cover. :P

Back