ProjectWHaT

2024 Subaru Impreza

Hatch only, CVT only

1668730642790.png

1668730780444.png

1668730625108.png

1668730631051.png

1668730666515.png

The 2024 Subaru Impreza marks the arrival of the sixth generation of the brand's compact model. It debuts at this year's LA Auto Show, which is appropriate because of the first gen's premiere at the event in 1992.

The 2024 Impreza arrives in three trims: Base, Sport, and RS. The Base and Sport use a 2.0-liter boxer four-cylinder producing 152 horsepower (113 kilowatts) and 145 pound-feet (197 Newton-meters) of torque. The RS gets a four-pot, 2.5-liter boxer making 182 hp (136 kW) and 178 lb-ft (241 Nm).

All trims come with a CVT. The version in the Sport and RS grades has a simulated 8-speed mode with pre-set ratios and paddle shifters behind the steering wheel. The Impreza continues to come standard with all-wheel drive. Subaru says this application of the tech has a faster response time. The system also has torque vectoring.

The new Impreza is available with an 11.6-inch portrait-oriented infotainment screen. It supports the wireless versions of Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Like the Outback and Legacy, lesser trims come with dual 7.0-inch displays.

For a more exciting driving experience, the 2024 Impreza gets a version of the dual-pinion electronic power steering rack from the WRX. Subaru says this results in improved responsiveness and a more direct feel when turning the wheel.

The RS is the sporty, new addition to the Impreza lineup. Its name harkens back to the 2.5 RS from '98. This trim gets a more aggressive look with dark gray trim on the grille, side sills, mirror caps, and 18-inch wheels. LED headlights and fog lights are standard for this grade. Inside, the seats are black cloth with red bolsters. The trim is a mix of gunmetal gray and simulated carbon fiber elements.

The 2024 Impreza will go on sale in the US this spring. Pricing will be available closer to the model's launch.

Months ago, the 3rd generation Crosstrek was revealed in Japan only with similar design cues as this new Impreza

1668730878734.png

1668730906053.png

Subaru is tight-lipped about the technical specifications of the powertrain, only saying the JDM-spec Crosstrek gets an e-Boxer setup with a 2.0-liter gasoline engine and an electric motor.

From the brand that brought you "300HP WRX STi" for 15 years before killing it out of spite rather than actually moving the envelope any further, Subaru revives a semi-famous performance nameplate (even after the WRX came stateside the 2.5RS was a monster in amateur rallying) on a car set to have 40 less horsepower than a Prius.

Last edited:
I'm most surprised that it's a hatchback only. Isn't the sedan version a much stronger seller in the US? At least in my experience, I see noticeably more non-WRX Impreza sedans than hatchbacks.

But yeah, I'm underwhelmed and disappointed. CVT only isn't particularly endearing. The styling doesn't look very fluid or inspiring, and it honestly looks like a car that could've already been on sale for the last five or six years. Not at all a fan of the rear proportions and how saggy/overwrought it all is. Too many lines, creases, and shapes between the tail lamps and bumper adornments. And Subaru needs to overhaul their infotainment graphics because it's looked dated like this for too long now. They've settled on this subpar interior layout but always show it in all black/over flashed - feels dark, cheap, and uninviting.

I wish there was more WRX in this than just lowered Crosstrek. I'm sure the new Impreza will sell like hotcakes in Vermont but probably will fare worse off everywhere else.

The only Subarus worth anything are the grungy off-road versions. They're allowed to be hideous. But everything else, there's just no excuse for them anymore. Subaru is lazy, they've been doing this "evolutionary design" think for literally 30 years, they have no innovative technology, they've actually downgraded by giving everything a CVT, they still use a dumb engine but it doesn't sound good anymore...need I go on? Subaru has become the most uncool car brand on the market. They offer nothing interesting and seem to have no aspiration, and the voices are telling me the BRZ is also going away at the end of this generation. At least give us a new Baja...the Maverick has shown that market has honestly existed for quite a while but car companies were too self-absorbed to try it.

Last edited:
...need I go on?
You forgot the screen dashboards and the questionable wisdom of their mission to become "#1 in safety", whatever the cost and whatever that's worth in practice, which is part of the scheme in the engineering and platform-sharing.

Which are also contradictions. Touchscreens aren't safe.

You forgot the screen dashboards and the questionable wisdom of their mission to become "#1 in safety", whatever the cost and whatever that's worth in practice, which is part of the scheme in the engineering and platform-sharing.

Which are also contradictions. Touchscreens aren't safe.
Touchscreens are taking over aviation as well and I cant figure out why. You ever try to punch buttons in turbulence? It’s hard enough when you can feel it before you press it.

I don't like the touchscreens either. We got a 2022 Crosstrek in March, it does have touchscreen but at the air con is completely off the screen.

US Spec Crosstrek revealed at the Chicago Auto Show

2024-subaru-crosstrek.jpg

2024-subaru-crosstrek-interior.jpg

it's all-wheel-drive only – a feature one expects from Subaru but across the pond, it's offered in a low-cost front-wheel-drive variant. US buyers also have the 182-horsepower 2.5-liter boxer four-cylinder available in higher-trim models, namely Sport and Limited Subies. Sport is also special for the States, identifiable by its yellow trim on the outside and yellow contrast stitching on the inside. Base and Premium trims have a 2.0-liter four-pot good for 152 hp and 145 lb-ft of torque, but the Hybrid trim is gone for now.

If these engines and power stats sound familiar, they are the same as those of the outgoing model. But Subaru says this is a new generation Crosstrek, being ever-so-slightly longer and boasting a significantly updated interior with a standard 7.0-inch center screen or an optional 11.6-inch Starlink multimedia system. Subaru tells us the new SUV has a stiffer chassis (10 percent stiffer, to be exact), and it uses a version of the electronic steering rack borrowed from the WRX.

54.7 cubic feet of cargo space is available with the rear seats folded, which is slightly less than 2023 despite being a tad longer. And for venturing off-road, you'll have 8.7 inches of ground clearance. For the record, that's the same as last year's model.

Similarly, pricing for the 2024 Crosstrek is almost the same as last year. $24,995 for a new Crosstrek Base matches a 2023 model equipped with the CVT, which is now the only transmission offered. However, that doesn't include destination and delivery fees, which are up $70 to $1,295. That makes the least expensive 2024 Crosstrek $26,290.

2024 Subaru Crosstrek production will be split between two manufacturing locations. Base and Premium models with the 2.0-liter engine will be made in Gunma, Japan. Sport and Limited trims with the 2.5-liter mill are built in Lafayette, Indiana. Lower-spec trims should reach dealerships in the spring, with 2.5-liter powered trims arriving in the summer.

ModelEngineBase PriceMSRP w/ $1,295 destination
2024 Subaru Crosstrek Base2.0L Flat Four / 152 hp$24,995$26,290
2024 Subaru Crosstrek Premium2.0L Flat Four / 152 hp$26,145$27,440
2024 Subaru Crosstrek Sport2.5L Flat Four / 182 hp$28,995$30,290
2024 Subaru Crosstrek Limited2.5L Flat Four / 182 hp$30,895$32,190

As in Pontiac or Ford? I would assume Pontiac ordinarily but given that you're Australian I can't be so sure.
That autocorrect is the killer. Yes, the Pointiac(remember that? :lol:).
Maybe Australian by paperwork, but I'm pretty sure @05XR8 is Brookyln or Bronx or Queens (don't remember which) through and through :lol:
Indeed, officially Australian for the past nine months. From The BX. Home of hip hop. Representing Harrison Ave, Burnside & Tremont, Kingsbridge, Marble Hill and Williamsbridge. All day! :cool:;)

Man, the Fisher Price for dad era of GM switchgear was really something. That said, I prefer the Aztec's interior.

Last edited:
The only glaring issue with the Crosstrek's interior is the screen being too big, looking very misplaced. Though today, screens are everything in a car's interior. Aside from that, it's fine and on par with anything else in the segment, at least aesthetically.

Pricing for the Impreza

Model/TrimBase PriceMSRP (incl. $1,090 destination fee)
Impreza Base$22,995$24,085
Impreza Sport$24,995$26,085
Impreza RS$27,885$28,975
This is pretty dismal. A $3200 price hike from the outgoing model yet the base spec still has hubcaps. And $28k just to get the 182hp engine?

Back