20GB PlayStation 3, RIP: 2006 - 2007

• Thread starter RobcioPL
  • 11 comments
Huh... 10 to 1 eh. Ya, if you're gonna get a PS3, why not spend the extra $100 or whatever and get the real deal, that's what I plan to do (in 5 years when the price comes down :lol: ).

I saw this coming, especially after seeing 3 20 gig PS3's sitting on the shelf at Walmart for almost 3 months now.

I guess mines worth more now?

Oh well, I still love it and it gets the job done just fine (seeing as I dont have any SD cards and the internet is always faster through a wired connection) and I didnt have the extra 100 bucks lying around.

Internet is never faster through a wired connection. Wireless runs at 54Mbps, Ethernet at 100Mbps, but your internet connection is ONLY around 4-6Mbps. Both are extremely faster than your internet connection.

What he said. The speed decrease wireless takes is only noticible in LAN environments because internet speed is limited by your ISP almost always, not by your hook up.

And I didn't think it would be long after Sony announced they weren't gonna sell the 20 gig in Europe that it would be killed. I think the timing could have been better for them, though, considering then Elite was just announced "officially" by Microsoft.

I think Sony knew that this was coming. The 20GB wasn't even avaible in Europe..i guess. I would definetly buy the 60GB version anyways:tup:

Hmm.. I suppose this move was going to happen, I would also have always bought the 60GB version anyway...

It makes the 20GB version now in a wierd way kind of rare...

This could have a knock on effect with the format wars.

I don't think this is the greatest of ideas, probably should have atleast given it some release in Europe.

The only advantage that the 20gb had over the 60gb is the heat and the noise. My friend bought the 20gb first then sold it to buy a 60gb and he realized that the 20gb was less noisy and a bit less hot.

Other than that, 20gb targeted a small portion of gamers and Sony made a good move on that. Now they just need ot think of a smaller machine with a bigger HDD Version and other colors and they are in real buisness. :)

This could have a knock on effect with the format wars.

Thats a good point... That was probably the cheapest way of a consumer getting a Blu Ray player into their household and the best way for Sony to expand its grip on the format war... however the cost vs the benefits of getting the format out there didn't weigh up I suppose!

Back