Honda & McLaren 2014 Formula 1

• Thread starter Mr.NSX
  • 461 comments
c12uc1fi3d
Guess what guys? McLaren is looking for a new partner after the 2013 Formula 1 year. Honda has already told McLaren it was interested and that they have what it takes already to make the engines for 2014.

2014 F1 season will reintroduced the turbo engines back into F1 with low displacements and 4 cylinders. The last turbo era was a era with the most powerful engines in F1 history. 1200+hp in qualifying and Honda dominated the turbo era.

Last time McLaren and Honda teamed up they dominated F1 and Honda made the NSX to celebrate their success.

What are your thoughts? Do you think they will be a new TRUE NSX once Honda joins F1? Non of that FR 4WD ********. That's not NSX spirit.

Wrong forum, but I hope it happens! I'd love to see Honda back in F1 in one way or another. Maybe they grow some attachments back and start making real cars again...

I'd like to see Honda back in Formula One, but on your little question about the NSX there.. I don't think those are going to ever come back, if a car manufacturer cancels the production of a car, there's not a real chance of that car making a return. :(

McLaren have said they are happy with Mercedes, Honda have said they are more concerned with their losses in Japan and Thailand than returning to international motorsports.
A load of noise over nothing it seems to me.

And Honda didn't make a new NSX for their "return" in both 2000 and 2006, why would they in 2014?

But really, they have to say they are happy with Mercedes. They are still in a deal with them for 2 years so it would be silly to say otherwise.

A load of noise over nothing it seems to me.
I think it's a bit like this thread with people seeing the new engine regulations and assuming it will appeal to new (or old) manufacturers).

Assuming for the moment that Honda want to re-enter the sport and have every intention of doing so, there is a major barrier to entry: the teams already have relationships with current engine suppliers. Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault were all instrumental in deciding the 2014 regulations, and they have close ties to front-running teams. All Honda could hope for is picking up a midfield team and running an engine strong enough to attract attention from the bigger teams - but assuming that they can even coax a team to use their engines, they'll be squabbling with Cosworth and PURE.

I have no doubt in my mind that Honda want to return to the sport, its just a question of whether its really feasible for them. Honda, Renault, BMW and Ford have some special links with F1 and will forever keep leaving and returning.
Honda apparently did take part in the 2013/2014 engine regulation talks along with others such as VAG/Audi.

McLaren may well be planning an engine switch for 2014 but the signs aren't really there yet. I doubt very much Honda will return anytime soon, or at least not in time for 2014, but they will probably return at some point.

Assuming for the moment that Honda want to re-enter the sport and have every intention of doing so, there is a major barrier to entry: the teams already have relationships with current engine suppliers. Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault were all instrumental in deciding the 2014 regulations, and they have close ties to front-running teams. All Honda could hope for is picking up a midfield team and running an engine strong enough to attract attention from the bigger teams - but assuming that they can even coax a team to use their engines, they'll be squabbling with Cosworth and PURE.

This has always been the problem. Nothing new here. It takes one of the big teams to take a gamble and run a different engine in search of an advantage usually before a new engine manufacturer finds success. Otherwise they rely on helping bring a midfielder or backmarker up through the pack.
Honda's previous "return" in 2000 slowly helped turn BAR from backmarker to relative front-runner, not to mention the success of the Mugen-Hondas in the Jordans, Renaults in the 89 Williams, etc.

There have been plenty of manufacturers who never really tasted victory but had a go anyway. It was fun to have teams at the back experimenting with all sorts of engines in the early 90s.

Peugeot and Yamaha's dabbles with F1 were pretty mediocre to terrible but they tried for several years anyway with some decent teams.

The thing with new engine regulations is that it opens the playing field up again. There is huge potential for some people to get it right and some to get it wrong. Cosworth, PURE, Honda, whoever could much more easily jump into the sport in 2014 and strike success than entering now with the engine freeze and the hyper-developed 2006 V8s. This is why people continually link manufacturers in as there is some hope that some of them might try and do just that - strike success while everyone is still getting used to the new regulations.

Last edited:
McLaren may well be planning an engine switch for 2014 but the signs aren't really there yet.
They'll need to be, and soon - the 2014 engines are already in development, and McLaren will want to be confident that the new engine can deliver. It is, after all, the most powerful on the grid at the moment. So I think Mercedes is McLaren's preferred option for now, but if the 2014 Mercedes engine does not pan out, they'll go elsewhere. The trick is judging when to make the decision given the extended development program for the 2014 generation of engines.

I think Honda re-entering F1 would be interesting, but unless they get a big team to go with them, it'll be difficult to see much success.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a Honda motor in the car. Their turbocharged motors were amazing and when you can put good, reliable turbocharged power in an f1 car, you've got more than just a slight advantage over the other cars. Now we just need Senna back in the car and it'll be perfect.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a Honda motor in the car.
Except that - as has already been stated - McLaren have said that their preference is Mercedes, and there has been no confirmation from Honda (who have been struggling with a downturn in sales) that they're even looking to get into the sport.

prisonermonkeys
Except that - as has already been stated - McLaren have said that their preference is Mercedes, and there has been no confirmation from Honda (who have been struggling with a downturn in sales) that they're even looking to get into the sport.

Yea, that wasn't meant as a "I can't wait for it to happen because it's happening. More of a "I can't wait for it to happen if it even does".

I find this quite hilarious, considering how they have been so quick to deny any rumours about Honda, stating they were staying with Merc.

So Mercedes pretty much to give Mclaren the finger in 2014 in an attempt to stop Honda from stealing information via Mclaren for 2015, if Mclaren do slightly struggle in 2014 because of this then they better pray Honda produce a good unit.

I dont think so. They wont fabric faulty motors just for Mclaren. I dont see the point really. It was pretty much given that only real factory team will benefit from all the developpement anyway. I dont see why they would screw Mclaren more than other team because of that. They have a contract they are professional.

I dont think so. They wont fabric faulty motors just for Mclaren. I dont see the point really. It was pretty much given that only real factory team will benefit from all the developpement anyway. I dont see why they would screw Mclaren more than other team because of that. They have a contract they are professional.

I'm not saying they'll do things against Mclaren because they dislike them, Mercedes will have to put things in place to try and prevent Honda from benefitting via Mclaren.

I think Honda have enough experience on V6 to not try and copy anyone else but rather doing what they think is the best.
I can understand if it's aero we're talking about but on engine I dont really see what Honda would like to copy.

Last edited:
Last edited:
This also means that McLaren can change their livery. I thought that the silver had to be on the car because of the Merc link, however now they won't need it so can have a welcome change of design. :D

I thought that the silver had to be on the car because of the Merc link, however now they won't need it so can have a welcome change of design. :D

It was the "day-glow" red-and-white of Marlboro in 1995-1996, when they ran Mercedes' engines. I think the silver/pewter was more of West's idea more than anything else, and then they disappeared after the 2005 season. The red sort of popped in with Eremites sponsorship, and Vodaphone neatly jumped in the following year.

I kind of like the chrome-silver-pewter look, to be honest; it does fit well with the Mercedes/German racing color (I know, McLaren isn't German). However, I wouldn't be shocked if Honda wanted a simpler look for their car.

I thought that the silver had to be on the car because of the Merc link,

It doesn't. Maybe prior to 2010, yes. Since then, Mercedes have had their own factory team. I remember this coming up in an interview and a Mclaren member of staff said they had thought about it but decided against changing it as they were happy with their livery. Of course, I imagine they'll design a new livery for 2015.

Vodafone are also rumoured to be ending their partnership as well, aren't they? White could well be the dominant colour but the second could is probably dependent who they have lined up as new title sponsor.

However, I wouldn't be shocked if Honda wanted a simpler look for their car.

Well, the Japanese racing colors are white and red... And Bruce McLaren's color was orange.

Conspiracies. Although, to be honest, there's surely a way to incorporate all that into a retro-ish livery. McLarens have always had red somewhere on them, anyway.

No mention as of yet whether Honda will strictly power McLaren or if they'll power other teams as well...Williams-Honda also had a nice ring to it. :D

Back