24 Hours of Le Mans 2024 Entry List Announced: Nine Hypercar Marques in Record-Breaking Field

• Thread starter Famine
  • 17 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
2023 Le Mans was a great race to follow.
This year, more potential winners in top category, LMP2 fighting from first to the last corner (as always)...
...and GT3... I dreamt of a GT3 category at Le Mans.

I am really excited about the Isotto Fraschini entry. A brand that's been defunct for 124 years (AFAIK) coming back out of nowhete in late 2023 and getting into Le Mans 2024 as their first motorsports entry (AFAIK) is a power move.

I just wish that they would balance the TV coverage between all of the classes instead of focusing 99% of the broadcast on the LMH class. The LMH class is fine, but I'm way more interested in the GT3 class.

I hope they'll have better weather than last year, 2023 was extremely rainy at some point in the race.

I dream of a return to the GP c era jaguar in particular - the 1988 race was the best sporting event I have attended - proud to be British !

Why wasn't this article posted in the 2024 World Endurance Championship thread?
(jsut in case famine wants to move/merge it)

(jsut in case famine wants to move/merge it)
Famine is, and was, aware of the existence of that thread, and does not.

I think point three of the general use section of the Motorsport forum rules should suffice.

I am really excited about the Isotto Fraschini entry. A brand that's been defunct for 124 years (AFAIK) coming back out of nowhete in late 2023 and getting into Le Mans 2024 as their first motorsports entry (AFAIK) is a power move.
Not take take the fun out of it, but they didn't exactly come out of nowhere, or at least they did in name only. The car is engineered by Michelotto who have worked hand-in-hand with Ferrari since the early 1980s and were even responsible for the 288 GTO Evoluzione and F40 (+ F40 derivatives) and many other Ferrari race cars. They are basically a very established player who have bought the rights to a long defunct brand for probably marketing purposes.

Not take take the fun out of it, but they didn't exactly come out of nowhere, or at least they did in name only. The car is engineered by Michelotto who have worked hand-in-hand with Ferrari since the early 1980s and were even responsible for the 288 GTO Evoluzione and F40 (+ F40 derivatives) and many other Ferrari race cars. They are basically a very established player who have bought the rights to a long defunct brand for probably marketing purposes.
I still like the idea of a brand coming out of nowhere. The context is appreciated, though.

To be fair, that's pretty much how a lot of brand revivals have worked - Bugatti was nothing from 1952-1987 (it was, for a time, owned by Hispano-Suiza, just to namedrop another brand which has been attempting [two simultaneous, competing] revival recently, and made aircraft parts), and nothing again from 1994-1998. It made no road cars from 1956 until 1991 and again from 1994 until 2005. And now it's Bugatti :lol:

IF more or less ran car operations from 1900 to 1949 before becoming a bus and truck company after also making aircraft parts in WW2. There was a 1990s revival attempt with the vaguely repellant T8 and T12 - I think it was still the original company, although it had been bought and repackaged a few times - before its owners shut it all down. Well, the car part of it; the engineering side still makes marine engines.

While the car is definitely not designed/engineered by IF the revival is still under the auspices of the company that has owned the name since the 1950s.

This gives the entry a lot more credibility.

Back