24 Minute Le Mans and Low PP

• Thread starter Bee_Bee9
  • 32 comments
England
Here, there everyfkin where
Bee_Bee9
Just wondering if anyone has run at Le Mans using cars other than the LMP style and what PP you was at, does not need to be a win, was curious as I took a Zonda round there (stock) and came 15th, sups fuel for fun and tyres gone after about 2 laps :(

People have done it with the Rocket thing...
Most LMPs I've used need to pit at end of lap 2 so I'm a bit surprised the Zonda is just as bad with fuel.

You just have me a thought... Does using SRF wear out your tires faster in an endurance event?!

Since it allows you to skid a lot more I wonder...

Sorry, I don't mean to not answer your question, I actually don't know myself but I've read plenty of others that have done it in other cars like the rocket without needing to pit... That's not even close to an LMP car but its much lighter than one.

Would have liked to have seen the AI use similar class of car so if you turn up in a GT1 etc they do the same, would have added a lot more varity racing at the track.

The Zonda could do 3 laps and then it had to pit, 2nd stint and my tyres were wearing out quickly.

I guess it depends on which Zonda, The C12 would be much easier on tires and fuel than the C12 S 7.4 which would be less than the Zonda R.

I was a bit surprised at just how fast the C12S is once you add a bit of power to it, at 600 PP I was hitting and holding at 231 mph on level ground without a draft. If memory serves I did not use any use any stage of engine mods, just exhaust cpu and such and full weight reduction, car ran and handled surprisingly well

Just managed to win the Le Mans race using the X-BOW Street at 600PP (482BHP). Hairy moment on last lap under braking with worn tyres after the long straight, even so clear of 2nd place car by 35 seconds.

I guess it depends on which Zonda, The C12 would be much easier on tires and fuel than the C12 S 7.4 which would be less than the Zonda R.

I was a bit surprised at just how fast the C12S is once you add a bit of power to it, at 600 PP I was hitting and holding at 231 mph on level ground without a draft. If memory serves I did not use any use any stage of engine mods, just exhaust cpu and such and full weight reduction, car ran and handled surprisingly well

Good info to know about C125 C12S, have it, but haven't gotten around to sampling it yet. :)
So many cars, so little time..:sly:

Last edited:
do:
-use group c cars because of reduced weight (e.g. 787b, sauber, 905, r89c, etc.
-be aware of weather patterns in the race.

don't
-use lmps (908, speed 8, pescarolo, audi, etc.)
-use comfort hards (ahahahahaha)

People have done it with the Rocket thing...
Most LMPs I've used need to pit at end of lap 2 so I'm a bit surprised the Zonda is just as bad with fuel.

I don't understand this at all. Why would you need to pit at the end of lap 2 just because you're in an LMP (unless you have tyre wear and fuel at maximum usage)? Do you?

do:
-use group c cars because of reduced weight (e.g. 787b, sauber, 905, r89c, etc.
-be aware of weather patterns in the race.

don't
-use lmps (908, speed 8, pescarolo, audi, etc.)
-use comfort hards (ahahahahaha)

What? :confused: Why are you saying these things? What are power and weight restrictions for?

Used a fully modified LCC Rocket with Nitrous on RS tyres. You never have to pit and tyres will still have plenty of life in them. Depending on your driving style, some fuel saving may be required on lap 7.

ANY Group C or LMP car will get the job done easily. Just build up enough lead to cover your stops and its a done deal. You have to pit after lap 2 and then after lap 4 - IMPORTANT - you have to pit after every lap after that as the tyres mysteriously start to wear a lot more quickly. Just don't have any 'offs' and its easy - Peugeot FAP for an easy win - hope this helps. :)

Based on running this race (both winning and loosing) with about 15 different cars, I have worked out the following observations:

Pit Stops: A full pit stop adds up to 50 seconds to your lap depending on how much fuel you put on and the car you are driving. Same goes to the AI. Assume your pit stop is going to cost you 50 secs and theirs 40. This is a rough-glass-half-empty approach.

The AI usually follow one of two pit strategies:
  • Pit on laps 1 and 5
  • Pit on laps 3 and 6.
  • There is a lineup (sorry didn't write it down) with a C9 in it where the C9 only pits once (lap 4). The threat is somewhat reduced by the fact that on lap 4 he is going fairly slow (but not quite as slow as to add a whole pit stop to his lap time).
Lap Times: Your lap times need to be within a certain range depending on the number of pit stops you make.
  • No pit stops: 3:49 - 3:55 should do it. The main thing is to make the race 7 laps long. This in most cases forces the AI to pit at the end of lap 6 at which point you can be up to 20 seconds behind and still win by a handful of seconds.
  • 1 Pit stop: 3:39 - 3:46 should do it. Tyre choice becomes quite important as you need at least a 6 on the thread indicator to be able to handle a powerful car properly.
  • 2 Pit stops: 3:27 - 3:36. Anything over 3:25 will make for a very close finish and lots of 'racing with the pack'.
There is a magic time around 3:32 in which you can do a 1 pit stop 6 lap race. It requires good timing and waiting before the finish line for about 12 seconds. You obviously need to have the right AI lineup and nerves of steel.

If you can lap <3:27 then it is pretty much a walk in the park, unless you have to pit 3 times… which I have never tried…

Tyre choice: It depends on the car and the lap times you are aiming for:
  • No pit stops: You probably have a car that is so gentle on tyres you don't really have to worry about wear. But since you do need to keep the lap times <3:55 it means RS tyres are usually in order.
  • 1 Pit stop: RH should do it for most cars. As long as you have the wear indicator on 6 or above when you pit you could go RS if you want.
  • 2 Pit stops: Unless you are driving a tyre eating beast you normally do 2 pit stops due to fuel. So RH will be fine but you can make it easier on yourself and throw in a set of RS.

I don't understand this at all. Why would you need to pit at the end of lap 2 just because you're in an LMP (unless you have tyre wear and fuel at maximum usage)? Do you?

What? :confused: Why are you saying these things? What are power and weight restrictions for?
there are pp restrictions, although the group c cars have more power and are within pp limit even in the 24 min of le mans

higher weight
Ok, but it is a simple win in an LMP.

Of course the OP is about low PP cars so that rules out the group C cars as well as the LMPs

There are lots of them that could be fun to run out there though not all of them can win

I've been trying to win it with the Audi Sport quattro S1 Pike's Peak 89. I've gotten the group that only manages 6 laps and I have nearly won it with a 24.16 and 24.10. With this car you only need to pit every three laps due to fuel. I should try reducing my fuel fill-up to see how much I can gain.

i used a delta wing. racing soft on rear, racing medium on front. maximum downforce but top speed was unaffected. really easy to drive and because of wet track the tyres never worn out, really good on fuel too, i nearly went the entire race without stopping. lapped entire field except 2nd place runner when i finished the race.

Like 40 kilos makes a difference with an LMP and a C? Some of you just don't know how to get a good LSD to stop the tire monster eating your Yokohama's...
peugeot 905: 750 kg, ultra light. your average lmp: 900 kg. maybe just use traction control through out the race. i would floor it coming out of a corner ahahaha

Ok, but it is a simple win in an LMP.

Of course the OP is about low PP cars so that rules out the group C cars as well as the LMPs

There are lots of them that could be fun to run out there though not all of them can win
If he wants to do a new record for winning with the lowest PP i can't help because i'am not so much i interested in this sort of "racing"

If he is looking for a challenge i suggest using any stock LMP car using only RH tires and driving without any aids. (TC/ABS/SRF/race line/gear advice/ASC)
If that is still to easy because it is one of those LMP's that has way more power than it shows at the dealer try reducing it to the value showed at the dealer. (Or use another one with less power)

Challenge - win it with stock Audi r18 :D Hey it's an LMP - it should be easy :sly:
Aside from the fact the lights do not work on it [or at least they do not work on the AE version] it would be easy enough.

Of course if you read the OP he is looking for some suggestions that are not Prototype race cars

Aside from the fact the lights do not work on it [or at least they do not work on the AE version]
Not a single light on the R18 works correctly, except for the position light on the side. The number on the actual livery doesnt light up, the brake lights dont light up together, (very weird because on the prototype it does (yes the prototype did not have the bottom lights)) HECK!! We dont even have both beams on ever!!.... all four columns are always on and we only have the exterior two...
The AE is in the same boat as well..

I just wonder if the Bentley is messed up equally as much.

I've done it the conventional way, with the pescarolo, AND for more of a challenge, the FGT. The FGT were insanely fast for obvious reasons, but the fact that it dosen't have any lights makes it so much harder. I trailed the 1st place for a lap to have some taillights to follow, but then he went to the pits, so I just had to go alone.

I have decent knowledge of the track, but I have to admit that I relied more on the map than the rest of the screen for that ~6 minute period. I had 2 offs, but they were not severe, so I just solidered on. Ended up by winning with over 2 minutes to spare.

Turn the driver display off when driving at night on Le Mans in the FGT, it's much easier to see the track. Let your eyes relax and drift slightly upwards, you'll see more in your peripheral vision than you expect.

On my first attempt I was just testing the car, did a good lap, carried on, was suddenly surprised by the darkness. It was my first 24min race and I hadn't thought it through :D

Just managed to win the Le Mans race using the X-BOW Street at 600PP (482BHP). Hairy moment on last lap under braking with worn tyres after the long straight, even so clear of 2nd place car by 35 seconds.

Shows just how better you are than the abysmal AI. I haven't unlocked the race yet but does anyone think winning in a stock R18 starting a lap behind is still quick enough to win?

Back