24Hr problem solved.

• Thread starter Netpolice
  • 38 comments
Frenchmanremy
I believe I've found an alternative to the save feature.
I propose the following:

A 24hr race has multiple drivers, therefore it is unrealistic to drive the entire 24 hours alone.

A 24Hr race has no "pause it and save" feature, so that would be unrealistic.
Plus the fact people could save every 15 mins just in case they crash, and reload the game afterwards.

but...

What about having your B-Spec driver act as the other driver when going into pits. As in you race the first.. 20 laps(just a number, just saying) they change your tires, add some fuel, change drivers over to B-Spec.

Then after his X amount of laps, he pits, they change the tires, add fuel, change driver back to you...

and the race goes on. This is the most realistic approach I've though of, and it allows you to go have dinner or a couple beers, before having to (virtually cause you should never drink and drive) drive again...

input? Reccommend to PD?

I believe I've found an alternative to the save feature.
I propose the following:

A 24hr race has multiple drivers, therefore it is unrealistic to drive the entire 24 hours alone.

A 24Hr race has no "pause it and save" feature, so that would be unrealistic.
Plus the fact people could save every 15 mins just in case they crash, and reload the game afterwards.

but...

What about having your B-Spec driver act as the other driver when going into pits. As in you race the first.. 20 laps(just a number, just saying) they change your tires, add some fuel, change drivers over to B-Spec.

Then after his X amount of laps, he pits, they change the tires, add fuel, change driver back to you...

and the race goes on. This is the most realistic approach I've though of, and it allows you to go have dinner or a couple beers, before having to (virtually cause you should never drink and drive) drive again...

input? Reccommend to PD?

I was surprised that they removed this feature, as it was in GT4(as a prior poster stated). Seemed to be the "best" possible solution for the 24 hour race(s), unless they wanted to "avoid" a short stint by the real driver and say a 23 hour stint but in by the computer..

The problem with this is who gets the XP.

It should be split between a-spec and b-spec dependant on how many laps each driver did in the race.

i.e you do 40 laps and let bob do the other 360 (for example) and he gets 90% of the xp with you getting 10%, you do 360 laps and let bob do 40 and a-spec gets 90% of the xp with b-spec getting the other 10%.

I would think the question is more who should get the finishing place. You cant give a gold trophy to your a-spec racer and mark the event as completed with the b-spec event getting nothing if bob ran 90% of the race for you can you?

trophy would go to A-spec as it is an A=spec race.
I beleive if the following option above is selected, IE, racing A-spec and B driver joins from time to time. It should be limited to 50% of the race being able to be completed by BOB.

Yes but this still means your PS3 has to be running 24hr straight atleast. Which I aint gonna do. If they add a save feature and people save every 15 mins incase they crash thats there problem.

Yes but this still means your PS3 has to be running 24hr straight atleast. Which I aint gonna do. If they add a save feature and people save every 15 mins incase they crash thats there problem.

I have an "original" PS3, a big time gamer with LOTS of hours on my system. I run a "cooler" on it, she's been on for over a week at the longest(no lie) and with the recent release of the Bspec remote racing, it was on from Saturday to Tuesday while remote racing was underway and it shows no sign of struggling. Not sure why so many people are "freaked" by leaving what is essentially a "computer" on for multiple days..... Computers are left on for much longer than that depending on who owns them...

As long as the PS3 is in an area that has air flow, and a cooler your Playstation will last a LONG LONG LONG time....... Original PS3 fatty with the SD Card, compact flash, and other inputs STILL RUNNING AS STRONG AS EVER. 👍

I have an "original" PS3, a big time gamer with LOTS of hours on my system. I run a "cooler" on it, she's been on for over a week at the longest(no lie) and with the recent release of the Bspec remote racing, it was on from Saturday to Tuesday while remote racing was underway and it shows no sign of struggling. Not sure why so many people are "freaked" by leaving what is essentially a "computer" on for multiple days..... Computers are left on for much longer than that depending on who owns them...

As long as the PS3 is in an area that has air flow, and a cooler your Playstation will last a LONG LONG LONG time....... Original PS3 fatty with the SD Card, compact flash, and other inputs STILL RUNNING AS STRONG AS EVER. 👍

I completely agree. My ps3 has been left on for weeks at a time, with never an issue. I also have the first gen 80G, and well, no cooler, no issues, no problems,

How about this?
Le Mans is run by 3 drivers in 2 4-hour stints.

After the end of your first stint you can save the game, and then leave whilst your 2 other B-spec drivers do their stints and then you perform your final stint.

To keep the excitment up you could perform the first and last stint so your start off and finish.

Maybe Aspec driver could be a co driver in all Bspec endurance events as well. As team manager I could decide that my top 4 drivers include me.

they built them to run for weeks on end - you'll be fine for 24 hours

Going back to the idea of GT4 would be clever. but if they add a feature where bob doesnt gain XP at all and his fatigue and stamina reduce at a faster rate maybe? this way it would stop you running the whole race on bob?

say if you do 25% of the time spent on track.. well you get 25% XP but 0 is awarded to bob as it isnt the b-spec mode?

it makes sense in a way and would stop people just uding bob to do it all

+1 👍

The original 360 with its design flaw has made people overly paranoid about games consoles. The PS3 is an incredibly well put together bit of kit. Mine has been running for 3 years now without being turned off.

Running a 24 hour endurance race is going to do nothing to your PS3.

50-50 xp would be cool....btw my ps3 stays on for days...i have a ps3 slim and it never heats up. i never fully turn it off. its either on or on standby. i was told that fully turning it off & on weakens the circits due to heating and cooling.... if you think about it if you heat and cool something it tends to wear out... but keeping at a constant temp helps it last longier...i cant prove my point but i can tell you my 1st ps3 the fatboy was never turned off untill i bought my slim... it was on for 3 years staight

The PS3 can run for days without a hitch provided you don't trip over the power cord, there's no power outage etc. If any of these were to occur, it no different from the mishap that befell the 908s at last year's Le Mans.

Not solved.

This ones' better idea. Bring PS3 + GT5 to a Correctional Institution and they can work on that 24 hours endurance. I'll bet they won't get bored specially with a steering wheel.
no pun intended.

Maybe...but we're not real racing drivers. We're playing a game that involves not even 1/1000th of the stressors and variables that come with driving a racing car on a real track. If you can't do the races as implemented or you can't be bothered to have your PS3 run that long, then don't do them. No one's forcing you to.

I thought that the fact there was no "save" in the 24h races sucked. However, I must say that I just finished the 24h du Mans and it was practically a religious experience. From evening to sunset (awesome reflection off the tarmac), dusk to fireworks to dark-darkness, the sunrise and the clouds threatening rain which eventually cleared up... a work of art, and many kudos to the programmers who did that. I must say now that I have mixed feelings about the save thing...

The only real negative is that I started on Sunday; the wife being a banker had Monday off and had planned to watch "The Office" season 4 all night long on Netflix. I had to explain to her I was six hours into an endurance race and there was no way in hell I was going to turn it off. So as a compromise I have to clean the basement -- no more GT5 until it's done, she says.

And to weigh in on the "leaving the PS3 on" thing -- ALL processors/computers (except perhaps piece of %^& X-boxes of a certain year) are best LEFT ON AT ALL TIMES. If you don't believe me, inquire of any computer engineer.

Make sure it can "breathe" i.e., don't stuff it in some cabinet; keep it out of direct sunlight or heat-vents; and get a decent surge protector. If you are like we are here on the North Coast and your power goes out every storm, you may want to consider a surge protector/conditioner/battery backup -- the ultimate in PS3 insurance.

My ps3 has been on for months at a time, I never move it from its well ventilated spot it never gets bumped and I vacuum out the front and side vents weekly. It is an 80gb fatty I have had it for over 2 years. I would do the 24 hour races but I choose not too because i have my external HD full of bdrips and tv series' and It would tie up the ps3.

yea my launch ps3 just died like 3 months ago. I was running perfect until the launch of black ops. Which upon launch was horrible an locked up like crazy.....she couldn't take it.

on topic: Great idea

Latest Posts

Back