24hrs. @ the 'Ring

• Thread starter Rat Bastid
  • 38 comments
So Bob is doing a fine job. It's lap 159, his best lap time is 7'18.148, set @5 on R2's. The Falken has a 7'18.662 to his credit, but hasn't done better than a 7'20... for many laps. I'm using R2's because I realized Bob would never get the times he needed to stay ahead. He'd run for nine laps @4, but still too slow with the R1's. On the 2's, I can run him on 4 all day & he'll do just fine for five laps. I can even run @5 for four laps & 4 the next & he'll never leave the track. Not to mention that the gas is at 44/45 after five laps, so it's filled just as the new tires come on, no time lost at all. The GT-R is at 12.
So it's lap 159, everything is going smoothly. Bob just put the Falken another lap down and I decide to use my owner's privilege & get behind the wheel again. As I slip-slide this twitchy witch around the track, I ponder the wisdom of my current setup. I first tested with a GSX/R4 that had stage 3 weight reduction, stock suspension as a soft baseline, R1's I had just bought & everything else maxed out. That car was po-going all over the road, so I knew the car was too light. This car is at full weight & stock sus. all the best gear... The wings were set at 30F/27R. That was the setting it had with the normal tuning & didn't give it any thought during my prep & seemed fine during testing. That was very deceptive, because now the turn-in is so quick & the tail too damned loose! I'm sure the bent frame isn't helping either. I spin out at Kottenborn in dramatic fashion, same at Kallenhard, good thing the wall is there at Bergwerk... Next lap, I only spin at Kottenborn. Next was at Schwedenkreuz. After three laps, my rear tires are turning a lovely glow of red, so I give it back to Bob. Good man.
It takes 193 laps to get to 24:05, the GT-R is 2 laps down & I get a lovely white & lavender FGT for my troubles. Yay. I think I'll keep it, though. It might prevent them from giving me another....
After I wake, I take my victorious yellow GSX/R4 for an oil change & frame straightening. I lose 4 HP in the process. I'm back at the "Real Circuits" (or what ever it's called) 'Ring in a 0-rated Family Cup. I reversed the wing settings and it helps a lot, even at only 60 MPH! I'll buy a Race sus. & do some tweaking, the rear needs to be stabilized. The front, I'm not sure yet. I might "Increase Rigidity", that increases understeer & stiffens the frame, I'll see. Thanks for reading.

I'll be tweaking the GSX/R4 later today, or tonight. I'm kinda burned out on this at the moment, once I get RJ's settings for the 2B, I'll do it again. Probably next week. I'm picking up my girlfriend Saturday afternoon, but she'll be busy next week catching up with work. I'll most likely do it then.

I used a '01 Honda NSX with stage 3 weight reduction, a chip and a sports exhaust to do this race.

I beat the ABT too.

Is that wrong?

:mischievous:👍

I wouldn't say it's wrong if it worked! What's a "zorst"? Actually, I was wondering about the Shelby Series 1 for this race. It was my go-to for all the Enduro's at first, awesome car!

What never works? Keeping the car won't prevent you from getting another...

Good job RB by the way. 24 hours, even with B-Spec, is a challenge, and it appears you've had several attempts. Can't wait to read more!

That never works! I should know 'cause I always try that approach too. :ouch:

What never works? Keeping the car won't prevent you from getting another...

Good job RB by the way. 24 hours, even with B-Spec, is a challenge, and it appears you've had several attempts. Can't wait to read more!

It could either keep it away, or attract more. No, It's just GT superstition. I'll wind up selling it, but it's not like I need the money. Anyway, I did some work on the GSX/R4 the other day, I started with a setting from somebody who said he used it for the same race. He doesn't have a wing & he added 150 of ballast. I can't imagine not using a wing at this level & don't want to add the weight, because I want to stay at 4 & 5 lap intervals. (Me & Bob) I softened it up a bit & it works really well, but I keep getting spun at Wherseifen & Pflanzgarten I. I'll tweak it some more on Monday and post the setup. I'm leaving soon to pick up my GF from her sister's. MiniCooper, thanks for the compliment.
P.S. I tried the Series 1, it was too stiff even with the stock sus. & the exhaust was so subdued, I think it would put me to sleep! Oh well.

Back