• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 23 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
esc_revamp_main.jpg

So I'm a massive Eurovision fan and nerd, and have basically been filling the F1 off-season void with watching countless Eurovision songs on YouTube, and I can't be the only one here who likes Eurovision a lot, surely?

Anyway, I discovered a 30 days of Eurovision challenge and decided to bring it here. Each day I will post a new category here and anyone can join in, posting a song from Eurovision finals that fits the category for you. They are all about finding your preference.

Feel free to catch up with any days missed.

1. What is your favourite Eurovision winning song ever?
  2. What is your favourite Eurovision entry ever?
  3. What was the song that hooked you into Eurovision?
  4. What is your favourite entry by a Male Soloist?
  5. Which entry do you genuinely thing could and should have won?
  6. What is your favourite entry by a Female Soloist?
  7. Which song did you not like originally, but now like it?
  8. What is your favourite entry by a Duo?
  9. Which performance had the best dance?
  10. What is your favourite song by a Group?
  11. What is your favourite song in a language you don't know?
  12. What song do you show to people to convince them to watch Eurovision?
  13. What is your least favourite winning song?
  14. Is there a song you wish you'd have voted for?
  15. What is your favourite entry from your own country?
  16. What is your favourite song that placed 20th or lower in the final?
  17. What is the most "WTF" song you've ever seen?
  18. What is your favourite second-placed entry?
  19. What song do you think massively underperformed in the final standings?
  20. Which song makes you go "Only at Eurovision..."?
  21. Which song has the most impressive Long Note?
  22. What was the first Eurovision song you heard?
  23. Which song is most appropriate for the nation it represented?

Last edited:
What is your favourite Eurovision winning song ever?

For me, it's got to be Euphoria. It's the song I've had in my playlist the longest and the one I listen to most. It was such a deserving winner of the contest, and one of only 5 Eurovision's I've watched where I agreed with the winner.

What is your favourite Eurovision entry ever?

Not only was this the return of Epic Sax Guy, but he morphed into Ultra Sax Guy with a just-as-memorable song and dance. Sunstroke Project got 3rd place not just through the memes, but because the song was awesome as well. Sad this lost.

What was the song that hooked you into Eurovision?

2004 I think was the first year I watched the show, but it wasn't until Lordi won in 2006 that I became a true Eurovision devotee. The song was just so much better than anything else on the night, with the amazing costumes to go with it. It won by a record amount, and deservedly so.

What is your favourite entry by a Male Soloist?

I just love this song. Extremely catchy with an energetic performance that goes perfectly. Should have won in 2019 really.

Which entry do you genuinely thing could and should have won?

This song was beaten by a dull Serbian entry that year, but Dancing Lasha Tumbai is the one song from that year everyone remembers. It's almost become the Eurovision song and is definitely one of the most iconic in the show's recent history.

What is your favourite entry by a Female Soloist?

This is one of the most powerful vocal performances I can remember at Eurovision, and truly a brilliant song. The only song that really came close to Heroes that year.

Which song did you not like originally, but now like it?

I'm not sure why I didn't like this song when I first heard it. Probably because the female singer looked like a Sia ripoff and that kinda tarnished it. But I recently heard clips of this in Eurovision compilations and it piqued my interest, leading to me listening to it on repeat and appreciating the group performance and varying harmonies going along. Makes me sad it came something poor like 14th now.

What is your favourite entry by a Duo?

Denmark ended the show in 2010 with what can only be described as something that should have been in a Disney film. Both performers seem slightly off, but it was such a good song, it somehow added to the charm of it.

Which performance had the best dance?

Fuego is one of the most infectious songs and dances to grace Eurovision in a long time. Eleni commands the stage with an incredible flame suit and long hair that she flicks around effortlessly, all while singing a high-tempo dance banger. Love it.

What is your favourite song by a Group?

It's Epic Sax Guy. Need I say more? Well actually yes. I voted for this song in 2010 because it was brilliant, and then it crashed down to finish something like 20th somehow? Luckily, being immortalised in meme heaven has turned people around to this song, and I'm so glad Sunstroke Project had another go in 2017 and knocked it out of the park with a 3rd place.

What is your favourite song in a language you don't know?

This song is just incredible chemistry between the two performers staring into each other's souls from point blank range. I have no idea what she's saying, but you just know.

What song do you show to people to convince them to watch Eurovision?

The winner of the fan vote last year is definitely one of the best and most accessible Eurovision songs that perfectly summarises the mix of great songs and traditional music from each country to create a song perfectly in the Eurovision mindset. The Juries horrifically undermarked this song because despite winning the fan vote it only came 6th. The Juries were supposed to save the fans from themselves and eradicate political voting, but the last few years have been showing that fans are voting for the songs rather than the countries a lot more effectively than the juries...

What is your least favourite winning song?

To this day I have no idea what the hype about this song was. It's slow and boring and there's nothing really special about the performance, yet it won by a country mile? 2017 had some awesome songs, but for all of them to be beaten by this perplexes me to this day.

Is there a song you wish you'd have voted for?

This song was great, with the sudden switch up at 2:00 being the icing on the cake. It came 4th that year and was totally deserving of that or higher, and I wish I'd contributed to that.

What is your favourite entry from your own country?

2011 was the last (and to be honest, only of the ones I've watched) entry from the UK I actually liked enough to think it had a chance. Unfortunately, Mic issues meant the performance on the night was quite bad, which hampered the performance and votes, despite it being the crowd's favourite in the arena.

What is your favourite song that placed 20th or lower in the final?

How did this comes second-to-last? A great, upbeat dance song with a good performance and energy. 25th was an insult to it.

What is the most "WTF" song you've ever seen?

This needs no explanation. This song will forever be burned into my memory for being able to pull off being brutal and ridiculous without being trashy. This is one of those songs you show people if they ask what Eurovision is about. "If Iceland can enter this and do well, that shows how ridiculously brilliant the show is."

What is your favourite second-placed entry?

I've already posted Fuego, so I'll go with this. At the time I wasn't happy this came second because I was so passionately supporting the eventual 3rd placed Moldovan entry, but this brilliant song and performance deservedly scored a top 2, but lost to what I have already shown is the worst winning entry ever, so I feel sorry for the Bulgarians in this case.

What song do you think massively underperformed in the final standings?

Everyone watches the Semi-Final performance of this powerful song because the staging let her down in the Final. The smoke machine went overboard and basically obscured Nina in every camera shot, meaning it fell down to 11th in the final standings in an admittedly strong year for entries in 2015. Something must have got lost in translation though, as the word "Oximated" is sung multiple times, for some reason...

Which song makes you go "Only at Eurovision..."?

Russian Grandmothers standing on stage pretending to bake bread suddenly transitioning into an English Dance breakdown? Just...What?

What was the first Eurovision song you heard?

2005 was the first year I watched, seeing as I had heard some of the pre-show promotion Javine was doing for her entry. It was performed near the start and I can still remember the song and her pre-show interview saying she was feeling quite ill before the performance.

Which song is most appropriate for the nation it represented?

Danes invoking their Viking past? Yes please! Great song too, I love the deep voice bits in the breakdowns.

Latest Posts

Back