300ZX, Supra, or something else?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mPWRD
  • 43 comments
  • 3,441 views
Why not a 6th gen Monte Carlo SS?
 
Why not a 6th gen Monte Carlo SS?

:lol:

I'll have to echo the notion of the E36 M3. My friends and I have had relatively few issues, mostly just basic maintenance stuff that happens with a car that has miles. But I know several people with over 200k miles on their M3s and they are going strong. Mine has 145k miles, and really just needed the suspension refreshed and brakes.
 
Mazdaspeed Protege, Ford Focus SVT, MR2, WRX, Z3, RX8, maybe a Boxster, on and on. Plenty of options.

As was said, if you're serious about autox, pick the class, then buy the car that wins. If you want a fun car and plan to autox it, find a handful of cars you like, and go test drive them and buy the one you like the most.
 
AE86 anyone?

An overpriced, slow, zero creature comforts, likely beat car, with a solid rear axle? Pass. Might as well get a Foxbody, cheaper and easier to make fast as hell

In B4 Azureman rages.

How dare you put an Audi Chassis code in a sentence with my name, while spelling my name WRONG.

HOW DARE YOU!
:dopey:
 
Mazdaspeed Protege, Ford Focus SVT, MR2, WRX, Z3, RX8, maybe a Boxster, on and on. Plenty of options.

As was said, if you're serious about autox, pick the class, then buy the car that wins. If you want a fun car and plan to autox it, find a handful of cars you like, and go test drive them and buy the one you like the most.

I'll +1 the SVT Focus and Mazdaspeed Protege.
 
As for Miatas, the stock ones I've driven don't have much ultimate grip, but the front and rear balance is much more neutral than pretty much anything I've driven, and the rear is relatively lively and easy to play with. Many European cars and faster sports cars - even my RX7 - are designed for higher speed operation and therefore are tuned to understeer safely. Oversteer at 120 mph is a recipe for disaster.

99.9% of modern cars are set up for understeer, especially on the brakes. Doesn't have to be high performance or European. It is safer for Joe Public when he puts his newspaper down and wants to avoid hitting the car in front of him.

And a Corvette, Keef, will rotate easily on the throttle. So will most RWD cars if they aren't set up like crap and have any power. Miatas don't have a monopoly on this.


Wait.

Did someone actually suggest an MC... for an auto-x car??


I went for a ride-along once in a Ford Ranger. True story. I think he beat everyone in H-Stock. Which was two girls in a Spitfire and an old guy in a Civic.


M
 
Wait.

Did someone actually suggest an MC... for an auto-x car??



M

I know a couple who auto-x W-body's. (Monte's, Grand Prix's, etc.) They don't do too badly after some suspension mods.

How about a Fiero? My friend used to dominate with his in auto-x.
 
I know a couple who auto-x W-body's. (Monte's, Grand Prix's, etc.) They don't do too badly after some suspension mods.

Hmm. Large, wide FWD with an open diff and a 4 speed auto dodging cones spaced barely wide enough to ease a greased paperclip between... what's not to like? ;) I have nothing but respect for their devotion to the platform.


One time I saw a car kick a cone up, flipping it end over end. It landed right side up and in the box. True story.

Then there was this time we went to the course the day before the event, picked up the cones, set it up and drove it. In the rain. While on a test drive. With the salesman. In one of the first WRXs in the country. Who never called us again. That's a true story too.


330i ZHP. Don't think it's competitive where it's been classed lately, but another solid choice for the money.


M
 
The best story I can think of was when my dad hit a cone a few years ago (2007, maybe?). It punched the foglight out of the bumper, wedging itself into the hole like an airhorn.


I remember laughing because everytime he drove by you could hear the whistling noise from the air traveling through the cone.
 
Hmm. Large, wide FWD with an open diff and a 4 speed auto dodging cones spaced barely wide enough to ease a greased paperclip between... what's not to like? ;) I have nothing but respect for their devotion to the platform.
M
Don't forget that suspension mods throw you into Street Prepared classes very quickly. :lol:
 
Keep in mind that this is still going to be a project car, a daily driver, and occasional track day chariot. It's not all about autocross. That said, thanks for the ideas. And :lol: at the Monty.
 
Back