My obsession with the Nordschleife.

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 1,169 comments
United Kingdom
England
Over the past few years, Gran Turismo has provided me with the ultimate pass time.

The Nurburgring Nordschleife .

Just today I have done over 100 miles on the nordshliefe. Between the LFA nurburgring, mines BNR34 and F430 Scuderia.

I am a complete petrol head. My car gets new oil and filter every 3000 miles, and there is nothing I enjoy more, than wringing the neck of my B18 powered civic.

I am the father of a young family, and money is tight. I have not yet been able to get out to the nurburgring in real life, and probably won't be able to for the foreseeable future, so GT is my only option for sampling what I consider to be one of the most challenging stretches of tarmac in the world.

I am posting this, because, although I have run many hundreds of laps, I am still learning it.

Don't get me wrong. I know which corner is coming next, and I know where I am on the track, but it's the individual corners I am talking about.

Only today have I realised the fastest line for atleast 2 corners.

This is what makes the nordshliefe special for me. I thought I knew it half well. Turns out I am barely scratching the surface.

Even my absolute best times could come down by atleast a few seconds, if not a whole 10 seconds on some of the slower cars.

To take corners as fast as possible in some cars, is to literally be on the edge of grip, the edge of the track, the edge of traction on exit. Many corners require so much commitment to take even remotely quickly.

A friend of mine recently got GT6. He immediately fell in love with the audi Pikes peak courtesy car. I told him to take it to the Nordschleife and see what he could do. He was extremely happy to tell me that he managed a 8:53.xxx on racing hards with all aids off.

He wasn't as happy to hear that just yesterday I did a 8:4x.xxx in a standard CR-X on comfort soft.

My point, I suppose, is that I have never been so challenged by a track before in my life. It keeps me coming back for more, even when I'm sweating and have a headache from concentrating, I can't help but have "one more lap".

Even with the inclusion of brands, Silverstone and spa, the Nordschleife is still my go-to track for pure enjoyment.

Do you have an obsession with the Nordschleife ?

If not, are there any tracks that make you feel a similar way?

Last edited:
Of course I do, I lap every single stock car I can get my hands on there on Sports Hard tyres. It's all I do in GT5 these days. I especially like lapping the McLaren F1 there.

I'm even trying to build a new car classification system off of the ring laps I get.

I've been driving the Nordschliefe in GT since GT4 and GTPSP, in GTPSP I did atleast one two lap race there everyday.

In GT5, I lap high powered machines there, provides a very intense experience, especially with the purer supercars.

Alright, got it. There's a button under the title called "thread tools", there's the option of editing the title.
Have a cookie :D
images

I've improved my ring lapping skills recently, pushing the normal LFA over 5 seconds faster around the ring, to put it into a 7:15 spot, same with the GTR Spec V and the Black Edition GTR. Same with the McLaren F1 which stood at 7:07, now at 7:02.

Some fast times there sparky. The nurb LFA should be going under 7 minutes at some point with me at the wheel, yet to get a clean fast lap in.
I still need to get a new GTR and the F1.

The mines R34 is so planted compared to the LFA, but the way the LFA dances through the lap is so much fun!

I run them all stock and at Sports Hard tyres, according to a buddy (I don't have GT6 yet), he pulled a 7:13 in a Nurb LFA at stock Sports Hard specs, putting it firmly into Supercar C class, both LFAs fall into this category.

Fastest Sports Hard tyre laps come from the FXX and the Zonda R, pulling sub 7 laps each.

Read under my avatar ... 7 hrs ti Nordschleife .. I have 12 laps as pilot/driver in the real one (green hell) and over 25 as passenger.. And an almost crash :nervous: ..

In The 70% of my online time in GranTurismo online era .... The track is Nordschleife ... Shuffle races :cheers:

IR

Last edited:
I run them all stock and at Sports Hard tyres, according to a buddy (I don't have GT6 yet), he pulled a 7:13 in a Nurb LFA at stock Sports Hard specs, putting it firmly into Supercar C class, both LFAs fall into this category.

Fastest Sports Hard tyre laps come from the FXX and the Zonda R, pulling sub 7 laps each.
The problem I find, is that I can set a clean lap, but it can be very conservative, to ensure a clean lap, and therefore it won't be particularly fast.
If I set a genuinely fast, clean lap, luck has normally played a large part. These laps can be upto 10 seconds faster than the conservative lap.

I've got to say that the Nordschleife is my all time favorite track on GT & IRL. And i'm pretty much the same as the OP in the way that even now with many laps under my belt i'm finding different lines to take corners faster.
The other thing i really like about the ''green hell'' is that online racing comes down to how well you know the track and how you've set your car up for it.

Don't get me wrong i enjoy other tracks like Spa , Monza , Brands , Etc but i always end up doing a few laps on the Nordschleife every time i play GT i just can't help myself.

I'm thinking of expanding my testing reach for GT6, including a lap of Tsukuba in the machine at hand to round it out.

I like the Nurb a lot but I can't run any one track for extended periods of time even the glorious Nurb. I'm usually there for at least one tuning attempt with each car and once I've set a clean lap I'm usually off to the next track to make sure my setup works at all different kinds of tracks.

The other thing i really like about the ''green hell'' is that online racing comes down to how well you know the track and how you've set your car up for it.

I think the Nurb is the worst track in the game to race at:lol: Unless you're in a club or league or with friends you know and trust that is. The quality of racing with pubbers is atrocious, they just blast into every corner crashing and smashing their way through the first couple of corners. Add to that they are usually on several tire grades more than the car came on and don't really "know" the track but all think they are Ayrton Senna because of the racing tires. :lol: The key to victory here is starting in front with a car that launches well, get through the first corner clean and usually you're free and clear. I know the track like the back of my hand but it doesn't help me when someone rams me off the track under hard braking.:mad:

Last edited:
I usually put down clean, fast laps around the ring as I have learned over time how to tackle each corner effectively.

I run into issues when I have been running racing hards on race cars. My first lap in a normal car on normal tyres normally sees me missing braking points, and big slides as I try to save small grass touches. My current favourite weapon is the Amuse GT1 turbo on hard slicks. Very lively. Blissful.

I run into issues when I have been running racing hards on race cars. My first lap in a normal car on normal tyres normally sees me missing braking points, and big slides as I try to save small grass touches. My current favourite weapon is the Amuse GT1 turbo on hard slicks. Very lively. Blissful.
It usually takes me more than one try to get a lap, as each machine has it's quirks and characterisitcs, the R8 5.2 for example hated braking hard, the McLaren F1 has a massive torque jump in later RPMs, usually upsetting the car, the Enzo was just, terrible, some cars lose all sorts of grip at low speeds like the Zonda R, and sometimes I barely touch the grass and spin out, usually when going really hard.

I like the Nurb a lot but I can't run any one track for extended periods of time even the glorious Nurb. I'm usually there for at least one tuning attempt with each car and once I've set a clean lap I'm usually off to the next track to make sure my setup works at all different kinds of tracks.

I think the Nurb is the worst track in the game to race at:lol: Unless you're in a club or league or with friends you know and trust that is. The quality of racing with pubbers is atrocious, they just blast into every corner crashing and smashing their way through the first couple of corners. Add to that they are usually on several tire grades more than the car came on and don't really "know" the track but all think they are Ayrton Senna because of the racing tires. :lol: The key to victory here is starting in front with a car that launches well, get through the first corner clean and usually you're free and clear. I know the track like the back of my hand but it doesn't help me when someone rams me off the track under hard braking.:mad:

Yeah i understand that in most lobbies for the Nordschleife are full of 'dirty racers' but find the clean racers and my god can you have some great battles.

Back