• Thread starter Bo
  • 72 comments

Bo

Disturbing Member
Premium
United Kingdom
Liverpool
CARBOYXJR
Remember that time when everyone said they wanted a four-seat roadgoing DeltaWing? Neither can I. However, Don Panoz heard some of these cries, and unveiled this not very nice CAD model of a potential design this morning:

BoubGETIYAAKkHu.jpg

Here's some info from Jalopnik:

It keeps the race car's ultra-aerodynamic shape and space efficient packaging, and they say that when combined with the right lightweight materials, it "can deliver any given performance level with significantly reduced fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions."

The DeltaWing idea is based on four ideas: reduced weight, increased powertrain efficiency, decreased energy consumption, and improved aerodynamics. They say the street car will do all of these things, and their current targets are zero to 60 mph in six seconds, a 130 mph top speed, and up to 70 miles per gallon with a small four-cylinder engine with somewhere between 85 and 110 horsepower.

It's designed for manufacturers facing ever-increasing efficiency standards — a corporate average fuel economy rating of 54.5 MPG by 2025 — and could be powered by gasoline, diesel, electric, natural gas or hybrid engines.

It's unlikely to reach production anytime soon, but DeltaWing Technologies have said they are willing to share the design and platform with other manufacturers.*

*Nissan could have a chance to nab back some of the project they left.

It looks ugly. It looks more like some sort of hot rod/funny car/dragster thing then a road car.

It doesn't look like Panoz/DeltaWing Technologies will build the car but sell the rights to it for other companies to build it.

I love everything about the DW. This just isn't doing it for me.... It needs to be closer in proportion to the racecar IMO and maybe making it a 2 seater instead of a 4 seater would help..

Don Panoz actually ruined our eyes a few years ago when that Panoz Abruzzi was created. While I've never hated the DeltaWing (I honestly wish people wouldn't hate on the DeltaWing so much), this car would be a collosal fail. Can't believe I'm saying this... but if I had to choose between this concept and the ugly Abruzzi, I'd take the Abruzzi over this concept. The key word here is concept- meaning we may never see a prototype or some real-world re-creation of this thing. But if we do, it's going to make us head to the eye doctor.

I had a soft spot for the Abruzzi, because it looked so terrible.

Panoz is trying to protect whatever intellectual property he thinks he owns. Nissan launched the Bladeglider concept and that is one of the issues pending in court.

That issue with Nissan and DeltaWing makes no sense, no company can make a car with a narrow front track and wide rear track with a aerodynamic body cause Panoz owns the rights to that style.

See that is where there is an problem with street-legal version, if they sell only the rights to other companies to build them those companies are going to change the design of the car to fit with other cars their company makes. Wouldn't it just make more sense to make their own car to start with ?

Am I the only one who doesn't think it's ugly? It looks better than the thing Nissan is racing around. Both of them look like extremely good ideas, aesthetics aside.

It's an unconventional shape for sure. Worse though, is that it has remnants of normal car in it, so it's almost like seeing a disfigured human face, the differences are startling and not immediately pleasant. I think it could be nice to be honest, but you have to reorient your accepted understanding of car design...or even car purpose to find it attractive.

I wonder how this car would do in the new small overlap frontal crash test.

19CRAS-articleLarge.jpg

Because the front of this deltawing design wouldn't even hit the barrier. The impact would start at the door. They could possibly design it in a way that it would simply sideswipe the barrier or bounce off but that would make it very difficult for manufacturers to control what happens in an impact. These pointy things might be ricocheting all over the road!

Back