Hyundai announce "N" performance division, nabs EX Head BMW M division engineer in the process.

United States
Greensboro/NC/U
jarod336/GTP_torque
Paperorplastic/ manherollen
From Autoblog:

The Hyundai Motor Group may be getting more serious about its performance credentials, but in order to realize its goal of making more serious performance machinery, it's going to need the expertise to get there. Fortunately that's just what it's acquired in hiring Albert Biermann.

Full story here. http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/22/hyundai-poaches-bmw-m-engineering-chief/

Just when i thought Hyundai could not gain anymore coolness, this happens.

Apparently he will be head of the new N performance division, while over seeing regular research and development of other normal cars in the line up, ride, quality,handeling etc.

N stands for namyang South Korea where Hyundai originally tested it's "performance oriented vehicles" before nabbing a venue at the Nurburgring.

Luxury spin off incoming(i bet)

Fun fact: So kia got Audis EX design engineer and Hyundai gets BMW M's Ex engineer..

Edit: He apparently left BMW for Hyundai... and was the current engineer

Future forecast/outlook? Man this company is about to skyrocket again. The man behind the M division...that's beem with BMW since 1983.. a explosive perk for any company.. i knew this would happen one day.

Last edited:
From Autoblog:

The Hyundai Motor Group may be getting more serious about its performance credentials, but in order to realize its goal of making more serious performance machinery, it's going to need the expertise to get there. Fortunately that's just what it's acquired in hiring Albert Biermann.

Full story here. http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/22/hyundai-poaches-bmw-m-engineering-chief/

Just when i thought Hyundai could not gain anymore coolness, this happens.

Luxury spin off incoming(i bet)

Super Genesis and Azera versions coming? I get the feeling that the Lexus IS-F won't be the only Asian rival of the M3 for much more longer...

Not to mention that Hyundai has done their homework, learning the values of the expression "to beat an enemy, you learn from it". Kia and Hyundai have advanced so much over the past few years...

560 hp Genesis sedan was already rumored, it was said that it would have a supercharged version of the Tau 5.0 V8, but i'm betting it will now be some form of a twin scroll antilag turbo.

Either way, it will be fast as hell, this is good news for the genesis coupe and veloster

This also ties in with Hyundai's late 2013 announcement of a 3 series fighter that uses the gen coupes chassis

Good news for Hyundai indeed, they were preparing this for a long while from the looks of it. Great news for sports car fans. Bet you the Veloster will feel like the Hyundai brother of the Kia Cee'd GTI (and that is good, mind you)...

And that 3 Series fighter sounds interesting, wonder how will it look like.

2015-Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-concept1.jpg

Yes please albert.

If they'd made this car with the exact same design, then yes please. Something with a 2L Turbo or a N/A 6cyl. and I think that could be quite a beauty.

Honestly, i'm more interested in what albert is going to be able to do with the Performance sub division, i know the Genesis sedan and Genesis coupe(above) will be completely redone, but just how much? i mean it's the man behind M so he takes with him the history,experience and knowledge that put M on the map.

And i can't wait to hear more about the new rwd sports sedan(using the gen coupes chassis) so about the size of a 3 series.

Honestly, i'm more interested in what albert is going to be able to do with the Performance sub division, i know the Genesis sedan and Genesis coupe(above) will be completely redone, but just how much? i mean it's the man behind M so he takes with him the history,experience and knowledge that put M on the map.

And i can't wait to hear more about the new rwd sports sedan(using the gen coupes chassis) so about the size of a 3 series.

To be honest, the performance vehicles from Hyundai are already very, very good and they're bloody reliable!

I was already planning on buying a 2013 Genesis in the next 10 years but now this just makes things even more crazy to choose from :bowdown:

I'm unsure if celebration or stress is what the vibe I'm feeling for this,

Hopefully Hyundai don't lose sight of what made them a brand which was cheaper cars, if they continue with the "bang for your buck" attitude im sure they'll do well,

Hopefully Hyundai don't lose sight of what made them a brand which was cheaper cars, if they continue with the "bang for your buck" attitude im sure they'll do well,

That, in my mind, is the biggest concern about the future of Hyundai; will the increase in quality result in an increase in price tag? I know BMW quality has a price, but I'd prefer that Hyundai cars to get close to that quality without forgetting a reasonable value for money amount.

You know, something akin to the Kia Cee'd GTI; not as good as the Golf GTI, but great value for money while delivering similiar performance.

That, in my mind, is the biggest concern about the future of Hyundai; will the increase in quality result in an increase in price tag? I know BMW quality has a price, but I'd prefer that Hyundai cars to get close to that quality without forgetting a reasonable value for money amount.

You know, something akin to the Kia Cee'd GTI; not as good as the Golf GTI, but great value for money while delivering similiar performance.

Well, they don't have to improve the quality,

The days of my Aunt's '1986 Excel for $4995 are long gone.

I don't think Hyundai wants their old school reputation. Yes their business model is built on best bang for your buck mantra, but it doesn't mean their cars are cheap.

I don't think Hyundai wants their old school reputation. Yes their business model is built on best bang for your buck mantra, but it doesn't mean their cars are cheap.

In my end of the world the Hyundai reputation is cheap and reliable cars, I don't honestly believe they are the household name like Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Honda etc to be able to pull this off without suffering,

Hyundai is expanding, so they're going into areas other than just building affordable niche cars. For example, the Equus, at $61,000, is a lot, but is a bargain compared to a $94,000 S Class, it's rival.

They're selling enough high-volume, low priced cars like the Sonata, Accent, Santa Fe, and i20 to kind of offset the cost of something like an Equus and Genesis sedan, lower volume selling cars. They're taking carefully calculated steps.

In other words, the cheap and reliable cars are still there. There's just added luxury and sports cars to that same model range.

Hyundai is expanding, so they're going into areas other than just building affordable niche cars. For example, the Equus, at $61,000, is a lot, but is a bargain compared to a $94,000 S Class, it's rival.

They're selling enough high-volume, low priced cars like the Sonata, Accent, Santa Fe, and i20 to kind of offset the cost of something like an Equus and Genesis sedan, lower volume selling cars. They're taking carefully calculated steps.

In other words, the cheap and reliable cars are still there. There's just added luxury and sports cars to that same model range.
Speaking of sells, the Equus is doing amazing compared to Hyundais original forecast of just 2000 units to test the luxury market, but now sells exploded to 14.354, The genesis sedan/coupe total nearly 200.000 units sold, they are certainly doing well and a luxury sub division can work looking at the numbers.

I really can't wait to see what the new RWD sports sedan will look like, since it's the same size as a sonata(4 series territory) And i'm sure albert will bless it with knowledge, since they have given him full freedom and control to do what he does best, lets just hope the prices don't sky rocket, the genesis fully loaded is already pushing 60.000 and the equus is nearly 80.

Speaking of sells, the Equus is doing amazing compared to Hyundais original forecast of just 2000 units to test the luxury market, but now sells exploded to 14.354, The genesis sedan/coupe total nearly 200.000 units sold, they are certainly doing well and luxury division can work looking at the numbers.

Wow, never thought that the Equus would be so popular. Guess Hyundai is hitting all the right buttons on the affordable luxury segment, huh?

Wow, never thought that the Equus would be so popular. Guess Hyundai is hitting all the right buttons on the affordable luxury segment, huh?
Yea, i couldn't believe the numbers either, that is alot of units compared to the 2000 Hyundai was shooting for, infact that's why the equus got a 2nd gen, and will be going on a 3rd.

This is the first Gen Equus
HyundaiEquus5.jpg

Even as a Hyundai enthusiast, i seriously thought the equus would be another phaeton(2587 units)
I'm glad i was wrong, it's actually selling just as much monthly as the other cars in the segment.

Here is a spy of the 2016 Equus, a camo test mule. next Equus will use the fluidic sculpture 2.0 design language.
2016-hyundai-equus-spied-for-the-first-time-ahead-2015-detroit-autoshow-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, i couldn't believe the numbers either, that is alot of units compared to the 2000 Hyundai was shooting for, infact that's why the equus got a 3rd gen, and will be going on a fourth.

This is the first Gen Equus
HyundaiEquus5.jpg

Even as a Hyundai enthusiast, i seriously thought the equus would be another phaeton(2587 units)
I'm glad i was wrong, it's actually selling just as much monthly as the other cars in the segment.

That's progress for you, it's not always predictable. To think that would turn into this:
2014-hyundai-equus-new-york.jpg

That's one hell of a giant leap, I think.

That's progress for you, it's not always predictable. To think that would turn into this:
2014-hyundai-equus-new-york.jpg

That's one hell of a giant leap, I think.

The Power of lots of money and research and development $ from the Hyundai Global industries.

Back