Hyundai announce "N" performance division, nabs EX Head BMW M division engineer in the process.

The Power of lots of money and research and development $ from the Hyundai Global industries.

Hyundai and Kia prove the $ works in car development when you use it wisely. No one would think that the Kia that once built Rios that you could buy for a $1,99 (exaggerating here for comedy purposes, but it was a cheap car, and it felt like one) is now the Kia who builds a fair opponent to Golfs in form of the Cee'd. Times do change...

Why do performance divisions have to have letters or acronyms as names? N, M, F, AMG and SRT are boring names. I like the name of Volvo's performance division, Polestar, because it's a cool-sounding name and not just an acronym.

Why do performance divisions have to have letters or acronyms as names? N, M, F, AMG and SRT are boring names. I like the name of Volvo's performance division, Polestar, because it's a cool-sounding name and not just an acronym.

Guess most car brands don't want to spend time thinking up a complex name and just go for a random letter from the alphabet. A car company thing, probably.

I don't know, but all of the letters listed do have a meaning. And those meanings aren't always very good names for performance cars. Yes, BMW Motorsports3 would actually work, but that's about it. Or does Mercedes Benz C63 Aufrecht Melcher Großaspach sound very cool?

I don't know, but all of the letters listed do have a meaning. And those meanings aren't always very good names for performance cars. Yes, BMW Motorsports3 would actually work, but that's about it. Or does Mercedes Benz C63 Aufrecht Melcher Großaspach sound very cool?

They could call it something else entirely- the name of a car doesn't have to mean anything; it's just a name. But it should sound good.

Last edited by a moderator:
They could call it something else entirely- the name of a car doesn't have to mean anything; it's just a name. But it should sound good.
You do have to remember that Amg is a separate company (whole-owned subsidiary now) with a history separate to Mercedes, so Merc preserve this history, for a separate company.

So it will be N vs Nismo, M and AMG?

• Audi - Quattro Gmbh, RS models
  • BMW - M Performance
  • Cadillac - V-Series
  • Chevrolet - Formerly "SS" branding, no new title yet
  • Ford - Formerly SVT, now Ford Performance
  • Fiat-Chrysler - Abarth, SRT
  • Hyundai - N blah blah blah
  • Infiniti - Former project lead by Sebastian Vettel, no idea what's come of it
  • Jaguar/Land Rover - Special Vehicle Operations and "SVR"
  • Mercedes-Benz - AMG
  • Mazda - Mazdaspeed
  • Nissan - NISMO
  • Opel/Vauxhall - OPC/VXR
  • Toyota/Lexus - TRD and F models
  • Volkswagen - R models
  • Volvo - Polestar
I'm sure I've missed a few in there somewhere. Not sure what the French brands are up to these days, in addition to what the skunkworks models at Ferrari and so on go by. A lot of brands raced to have special model identities and then suddenly walked away from them (Chevrolet), while others are building up to it or have it, but don't have a special name for those high-performance models (Jaguar/Land Rover).

• BMW - M Performance
  • Cadillac - V-Series
  • Mercedes-Benz - AMG
  • Mazda - Mazdaspeed
  • Nissan - NISMO
  • Volkswagen - R models
  • Volvo - Polestar
I'm sure I've missed a few in there somewhere. Not sure what the French brands are up to these days, in addition to what the skunkworks models at Ferrari and so on go by. A lot of brands raced to have special model identities and then suddenly walked away from them (Chevrolet), while others are building up to it or have it, but don't have a special name for those high-performance models (Jaguar/Land Rover).
Renault Sport can count as one (?)

And I felt that Jaguar's line of high performance models is the "R" designation.

• BMW - M Performance
  • Cadillac - V-Series
  • Mercedes-Benz - AMG
  • Mazda - Mazdaspeed
  • Nissan - NISMO
  • Volkswagen - R models
  • Volvo - Polestar
Alfa Romeo - Quadrifoglio Verde
MINI - John Cooper Works

• BMW - M Performance
  • Cadillac - V-Series
  • Mercedes-Benz - AMG
  • Mazda - Mazdaspeed
  • Nissan - NISMO
  • Volkswagen - R models
  • Volvo - Polestar

BMW would just be M GmbH. "M performance" is a range of accessories for a variety of BMW's. Cars like the M135i, M235i, M550d etc. sit in between standard BMW's and fully fledged M models - more of a trim level reserved for the highest model in each standard model line-up.

Mercedes have announced the "AMG-Sport" models for their models which are the same kind of thing as "M Performance" (i.e. Not quite a proper AMG).

You could argue that Alpina Burkard Bovensiepen GmbH (a.k.a. Alpina) would go on that list for BMW, since many of the Alpina models are now built by BMW on their production lines.

Infiniti - Former project lead by Sebastian Vettel, no idea what's come of it
It's Eau Rouge, has been since their GTR engined saloon concept.

Their marketing spiel will now focus on Danny Ric, as he's RBR's new no. 1

ge5489374879592635358.jpg

I've seen more V8s on the road. A young lady driving one today. By herself, all windows down and sunroof open. I swear this would make a good in-game GTA V car.

I'll admit, this V8 silhouette looks good. High class in execution by copying the 5-series. 👍 If Hyundai fit a V6TT in the near future, look out!

Speculation:

HYUNDAI’S European-based hot shop – dubbed N – has hit the highways and byways of Germany with a wicked i30 prototype with serious intent.

And although the European media is chock full of reports that the first offering from the South Korean manufacturer’s answer to BMW M division and Mercedes-Benz AMG will feature an uprated 1.6-litre turbo engine with up to 180kW of power, GoAuto is betting the production i30 N will surface with an even more heady 2.0-litre turbo fettled with help from World Rally Championship (WRC) engineers.

When we think of such engines, one stands out: the 224kW/400Nm unit that graced the Veloster-based RM15 concept – short for Racing Midship 2015 – shown at the Seoul motor show in April.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/D5576681BA49ACB5CA257E7C00014AAB

Latest Posts

Back