83rd Running Of The Le Mans 24 Hours - 13/14 June 2015.

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 4,676 comments

Furinkazen

Sim Racing Organiser
Premium
United Kingdom
Blackburn
Furinkazen_54
poster-24-heures-du-mans-2015.jpg

It is almost that time of year again (thanks to @Wardez for giving the thread the green flag). The time when thousands of motorsports enthusiasts descend on France to a circuit partially made of public road and purpose built track. They are here to watch an event that is arguably the greatest in world motorsports, an event showcasing the very best drivers, teams, cars, and arguably racing of all - The Le Mans 24 Hours.

Le Mans this year is the third race of the FIA World Endurance Championship, which has had perhaps the most exciting opening races in its short history. 4 classes of car, LMP1, LMP2, GTE-PRO and GTE-AM yet again are ready to take stage. But why should we be more excited this year than any other?

SPA-2015-START.jpg

LMP1 is growing massively. Stalwarts of Le Mans and sportscar racing Audi have heavily revised the R18 of 2014. It's power class is upgraded, it's aero is upgraded, and it has looked a monster in the corners and also a good strong runner on the straightaways at Spa in its low downforce configuration. However for pure speed, Porsche are unbeatable. Polesitters in the first 2 WEC events, including a 1-2-3 lock-out at Spa, the 919 is mind boggling on the straights but mechanically, it is frail. Technical issues have hampered it and given Audi 2 wins in the opening rounds of the WEC this year.

But what of #1 and #2, the reigning world champions? Toyota have been off the pace but it is worth noting they are the only manufacturer to not have raced a low downforce configuration car yet, and it is guaranteed that they will be up to speed, literally, when the package is revealed. However Japan has a second contender, and I am not sure where you are living if you haven't heard about it...

1422841750.jpg

The beauty of the WEC LMP1 class has been its embracing of new technologies and hybrid systems. Different rates of energy stored (8MJ vs 4MJ), different engines and configurations (Porsches 4 cylinder, Audis turbo-diesel, Toyotas N/A V8) are so different in concept yet on track it is scintillating racing. But Nissan have come along with a car that on paper, might as well be dismissed as a laugh. Generally if you want a competitive sportscar, you don't put an engine in the front, you don't have different size wheels each end of the car, and you certainly don't make it FWD.

Nissan however, have said, "yes we can!" and created the bonkers GT-R LMP, which will make its debut at Le Mans. As if the technical specifications of the car (which will have ex F1 driver Max Chilton and GT Academy winner Lucas Ordonez as two of 9 pilots) didn't sound mad enough, remember that under acceleration this is going to be 1200hp hitting the road. It sounds like fantasy, but come June it will be very much a reality. Also in LMP1 the popular Rebellion team return with new AER powerplants in the beautiful R-One's, whilst the AER powered ByKolles will try to beat the leading LMP2's. Once, every so often...

26-class-leader-g-drvie-WEC%20SPA%202015.jpg

LMP2 is a class in the news a lot lately. FIA global regulations proposed for 2017 once the current generation of cars end have baffled many in and out of the paddock, and almost threatened to kill a burgeoning class of constructors and makes. Come Le Mans a sizeable P2 contingent will be headed up by the gorgeous Ligier P2's from Onroak (OAK). The G-Drive cars have been fastest coupes in the WEC this season and at Le Mans will be a contender. Ligiers from the US ESM team and OAK themselves are also on the grid. And another Coupe is the Dome of Strakka Racing, former LMP2 winners in a car quietly gathering pace.

38-WEC%20SPA%202015%20race.jpg

However then old guard of open top cars may be dying out slowly, but not going quietly. Jota with the revised Gibson (Zytek) debuted at Spa in the WEC as a rehearsal for Le Mans and won convincingly and head to La Sarthe as a class favourite. Also amongst the open tops are a host of old ORECA and Morgan (Onroak) chassis, whilst the new ORECA 05 and Russian BR01 coupe designs also debut. It might be a race of reliability in P2 with all the new designs, reminiscent of the categories early years and the LMP675 class.

ViperLM24Livery.jpg

GTE see's the usual suspects. AMR with the growling Aston Martins, Corvette Racing and a customer Larbre entry with thunderous C7R's, howling Ferrari 458's (which even have an unofficial GTP drinking game dedicated to them), and the wailing factory Manthy Porsche 991's. Split into two groups based on driver ability of PRO / AM, it is always a tight race, and many are happy to see a privateer Dodge Viper back on the grid as well from the USA.

So then, GTP, it's going to be a hell of a race. Who's going to Le Mans from GTP? Who's watching from your screen for 24 Hours? it's a test for every person involved, be it spectator, marshal, mechanic, driver, journalist.... but it is an event like no other.

Bring on Le Mans 2015!

Entry List (Current)
Entry List (Old)
Radio Le Mans

Last edited:
Can't come soon enough! Will watch the entire race as always. My money is on Audi, Lotterer and the Tyre wear advantage will take them to the victory once again! But I suspect a close fight between all 3 Audi's and Porsches. Hard to say where Toyota will end up, let's wait for their low-drag Aero kit. In GTE Pro, I hope for Aston Martin!

I hope to see a new laptime and distance record this year. If they keep up pushing each other like Spa/Silverstone it will be a epic race in at least 2 categories

Predictions:
LMP1 - Porsche (what everyone can't pick Audi :P )
LMP2 - ...uh...G-Drive :lol:
GTE-Pro - Aston Martin Racing
GTE-Am - Proton/Dempsey Racing Porsche

Either way this year at Le Mans is going to be insane! :drool: Really excited for June. :D

I think that many people wont pick Audi...and speaking from the last couple years alone...I am a bit sure of it since most wanted to see Toyota win.

I called a Porsche win since last year so hopefully that's the case this year so I can root for Nissan next year. GTE is going to be the Vette's and P2 I don't care about. Am is going to be either Labre or AF Corse

For me rooting for:

P1 - I don't really care overall, like to see the Rebellion run well though.
P2 - Jota and Strakka for me.
GTE - AMR all the way. You know it @LMSCorvetteGT2 :sly:

:lol: It never fails that some one says AMR (fan or for kicks), I always like this running theme each passing Le Mans, when I state the obvious I expect to win GTE and I'm tagged to have a good joke. 👍

We'll see who does what soon enough...too bad I'll be doing classes in the summer so I might not be too glued to the stream.

They Hype Train has left the station! Choo choo!

Like to see the Nissan LMP do well, but I fear it'll end disastrously for them. Every so often, Audi gets beat at Le Mans, I say Porsche takes it this year.

Can't really see a clear winner in LMP, as I've never payed to much attention to it, so we'll see what happens there.

Always rooting for the Corvette Racing guys in GTE-PRO.

Just so we're clear, that rich kid that wrecked the Ferrari by pulling out infront of an Aston Back at Daytona ISN'T in this race, right? (Yes, I know, two different series.) :lol:

I've had a bad habit of not following motorsport very closely for the past few years, I really should reverse that. I won't lie, seeing a Dodge Viper in the entry list is what I'm most excited about. Clearly biased I may be, but it helps make the event more of a spectacle.

The Nissan LMP is interesting. Is the 1200 HP a result of playing the rules? I haven't payed very close attention in recent years but I thought LMP power was limited in one way or another to around half that. On a track like Sarthe it may be enough to win even if FF is a joke.

Believe me, no car on the grid will pull like that Nissan. But Nissan is no contender. Not until next year.

My money is on the #17 Porsche.

My back-up money is on the #7 Audi.

Yesterday during the 6hrs of Spa, Radio Le Mans mentioned something about this being a year where the end of an era would happen. Something about the laptimes potentially never being as fast again? Could someone elaborate?

Also has anyone ever gone in person from America? Roughly how much would the whole trip cost? I *might* just say 🤬 it and splurge this year.

I can't wait to see the race... live :D. It's a truly incredible show, and I think the field this year will make this race one for the history books. LMP1 cars of today are incredible pieces of technology, nearly as fast as F1 yet relevant to road cars. And I'm so hoping the Corvettes are as loud as they were last year. If you listened you could hear them going all the way around the track. So loud, so awesome.

My predictions for the 83rd 24 Heures du Mans...
LMP1: Porsche. Audi has been shown to be out run by the Porsches, and if Porsche can keep faults at bay, it's hard to bet against them. Toyota is a bit of a sleeper. Maybe they'll bring something to the table. No reliability issues yet and that's been their crunch. Nissan is walking in for the first time in over two decades and despite having a flurry of Le Mans veterans, I feel reliability will be their biggest foe.
LMP2: Pick a car, any car! I'm looking at OAK to take Le Mans. Solid package all the way through if they can keep it out there all 24 hours.
GTE Pro: Corvette or AF Corse. Aston Martin's Pro cars have a history of choking near the end. I'd like to believe otherwise this year, but I doubt them.
GTE Am: Aston Martin. It's been an AMR year so far and Le Mans last year was a breeze for them. I see them doing it again.

Yesterday during the 6hrs of Spa, Radio Le Mans mentioned something about this being a year where the end of an era would happen. Something about the laptimes potentially never being as fast again? Could someone elaborate?

Also has anyone ever gone in person from America? Roughly how much would the whole trip cost? I *might* just say 🤬 it and splurge this year.

Consistent laptimes under 3:20 minutes (which we will see) are considered as "too fast and therefor dangerous" by the ACO. That will result in a rules change to make the cars slower again. This always happens every few years.

Hoping for a Toyota win.

Expecting an Audi win because they are strong on performace this year. Combine that with their Le Mans know how and it's difficult to see anyone else winning. I just hope I'm wrong. I hate that yucky devil fuel they use.

Eurosport Player already subscribed to as of yesterday (for Spa).

A Porsche win would be amazing but a Nissan win would be epic beyond words. It would also need every other LMP1 car to have a problem though. That's unlike.... oh 2014!

I can't really see Audi not winning to be honest, their strategy over 24 hours will probably be enough to get at least the 7 car ahead of the Porsches. Toyota will need something special from their Le Mans spec. car to be anywhere near the Germans at the end. I doubt any of the Nissan's will make it past the halfway point without any issues if at all.

In P2 I guess it's G-Drive's race to lose, same for Aston in both GT classes.

I want Porsche to win obviously, but I think the battery will be weaker towards the end of the race compared to the start. So, I expect the #7 Audi to win. I think G-Drive, AF Corsa, and AMR will win the rest of the classes.

I gotta pull for Toyota and Nissan. I dont care about the VAG brothers. Diesel imo should be cut back even more than it is now, and I aint really a Porsche fan. At least with Toyota and Nissan, they have affordable cars for the masses, something people less well off can relate to. I like that the VAG have lmp1's, but I dont root for them. In GTE, I want Vette and Viper to win.

Last edited:
For me, unsurprisingly, nothing but a Toyota victory will suffice. I hope to see Nissan have a very good race and perform admirably but not seeing Toyota finally achieve a 24h du Mans win will disappoint me.

It will be a greater achievement this year as they would have to beat 9 other LMP1 from 3 fabulous competitors.

Back