Best Quotes in Motorsports

United States
Divided States of America
MikuHime80
We need a thread for this. Post a video with it if you can. Ill Start it off:

"And we have a caution!" -Larry McReynolds

"The guy who designed that corner should be taken into a dark room, and beaten!" -???

"LEAVE ME ALONE I KNOW WHAT IM DOING" -Kimi Raikonnen

"They touch, they touch! CRAVEN GOT HIM! CRAVEN BY INCHES!! Have you ever? NO IVE NEVER!" -NASCAR on FOX 2003 Booth

The one time I shed a tear while watching a race live, the 2001 Cracker Barrel 500 at Atlanta: just 3 races after the death of Dale Earnhardt, Kevin Harvick, driving Dale's car with a white paint scheme and the #29 wins the race my 6 one thousandths of a second.

Pretty much everything from 5:10 on is a great quote:

Larry Mac: "Just like a year ago, he going to get him, he's going to get him!!!"
Mike Joy: "Gordon got loose it's Harvick!!!"
Darrell Waltrip: "Harvick won! Harvick by inches! Harvick by inches! Harvick by inches! What a race! What a finish!"

6:08
Mike: "Somewhere up there, I think Dale's smiling"
Darrell: "And Dale is jumping up and down right now, good job fellas."

7:55
"What could be more fitting, what could be more special...And if you believe in storybook endings folks, this is one for the books."-Mike Joy

Last edited:
image.jpg

"People talk about the dangers of kissing the wall on this track. It's not kissing the wall I'm worried about. It's the prospect of making love to it that really concerns me!"

Michele Alboreto at Detroit, 1988.

EDIT:

And the full version of the quote in my sig.

"I love motor racing. To me it's a sport, not a technical exercise. My ideal Formula One car would be something like a McLaren M23 with a big normally aspirated engine, 800 hp, 21 inch rear tyres. A lot of people say we should have narrower tires, but I don't agree because you need big tyres to slow you down when you spin. And you need a lot of horsepower to unstick big tyres, to make the cars slide. That would be a bloody fantastic spectacle, I can tell you. We would take corners one gear lower than we do now, and get the cars sideways. You know, people still rave about Ronnie Peterson in a Lotus 72, and I understand that. I agree with them. That's the kind of entertainment I want to give the crowds. Smoke the tyres ! Yeah ! I [care about the fans], because I used to be one of them ! I believe the crowd is really losing out at the moment, and that's bad."

Last edited:
Some NASCAR gems:

"If you don't cheat, you look like an idiot; if you cheat and don't get caught, you look like a hero; if you cheat and get caught, you look like a dope. Put me where I belong." - Darrell Waltrip

"It's basically the same, just darker," - Alan Kulwicki on the difference between night racing and daytime racing.

"Years ago, you used to get out and fight and run around and chase each other with a jackhammer and stuff like that. Those were the good ol' days." - Dale Earnhardt Jr.

"I loved the game. Maybe I'd have four of five new things on a car that might raise a question. But I'd always leave something that was outside of the regulations in a place where the inspectors could easily find it. They'd tell me it was illegal, I'd plead guilty, and they'd carry it away thinking they caught me. But they didn't check some other things that I thought were even more special." - Junior Johnson

"Driving a race car is like dancing with a chainsaw." - Cale Yarborough

"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you´re racing, it’s life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting." (Steve McQueen, 1971)

OK, it's from a movie, but it just explains racing so well.

Max Mosley was once criticised in the media for not attending the funeral of Ayrton Senna.

Max Mosley
Roland had been forgotten. So I went to his funeral because everyone went to Senna's. I thought it was important that somebody went to his.

It's unfortunate that both funerals were happening at the same time, and of course us dedicated motorsport fans don't forget, but this always resonated with me. Of the then current F1 drivers only Johnny Herbert, David Brabham, Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Karl Wendlinger and Gerhard Berger went to Ratzenberger's funeral.

Last edited:
Max Mosley was once criticised in the media for not attending the funeral of Ayrton Senna.

It's unfortunate that both funerals were happening at the same time, and of course us dedicated motorsport fans don't forget, but this always resonated with me. Of the then current F1 drivers only Johnny Herbert, David Brabham, Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Karl Wendlinger and Gerhard Berger went to Ratzenberger's funeral.
Criticized wrongly. I bet Senna himself would have gone to Ratzenberger's funeral over his own.

It's unfortunate that both funerals were happening at the same time,

It isn't, because they weren't.

Of the then current F1 drivers only Johnny Herbert, David Brabham, Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Karl Wendlinger and Gerhard Berger went to Ratzenberger's funeral.

If they had happened at the same time then Gerhard Berger couldn't have been a pall-bearer for his close friend Senna, but he was. Senna's funeral (burial day, to be specific) was three days later than Ratzenberger's.

It isn't, because they weren't.

If they had happened at the same time then Gerhard Berger couldn't have been a pall-bearer for his close friend Senna, but he was. Senna's funeral (burial day, to be specific) was three days later than Ratzenberger's.

Well that's a swerve I didn't see.

Justified. Denny Hulme had died and he was quite emotional. And the fans were butthurt that the Nissan won.

“If the lion didn’t bite the tamer every once in a while, it wouldn’t be exciting.” - Darrell Waltrip

"His wife wears the firesuit in that family and tells him what to do." - Joey Logano on Kevin Harvick

"I got in the ambulance and looked back over there and I said, "Man, the wheels ain't knocked off that car yet. Get out. I gotta go." - Dale Earnhardt

"I had a horror of kissing girls before a race. It started many years ago when I was a rookie. A girl kissed me before a race and I spun me out and back through a fence. She kissed me later and the same thing happened. In an effort to break the jinx, she kissed me twice before the next race. So what happened? I flip end over end seven times. I don't even kiss my wife before a race." - Fireball Roberts

"We had the wrong gear, wrong springs, wrong shocks and wrong car. We had the right beer, but other than that, we got stomped." - Sterling Marlin (sponsored by Coors Light at the time)

Back