Best Quotes in Motorsports

Derek Bell was always a bit of a wag.

You'll have trouble finding this one to corroborate; and I am paraphrasing. I seem to remember reading it in a Car magazine piece or somesuch, but after an incident where Bell lost a wheel (on the Mulsanne) in a group C car at Le Mans but somehow brought the car back to the pits, there was a quick interview where the person with the mic hadn't seen Bell arrive...

"So, how did that session go, Derek?"

He looked back at the car, smiled, and said:

"Aside from not being able to pick up Radio 4 around the back of the circuit, pretty well actually."

"Moonshiners put more time, energy, thought, and love into their cars than any racer ever will. Lose on the track, and you go home. Lose with a load of whiskey, and you go to jail."

- Junior Johnson, NASCAR legend, and one time whiskey runner.

"I jumped out of the car to address this thing, knowing I had to address it right then or run from Cale [Yarborough] the rest of my life. And with that, Cale went to beating on my fist with his nose."

- Bobby Allison Speaking about the famous fight ending the 1979 Daytona 500.

"Moonshiners put more time, energy, thought, and love into their cars than any racer ever will. Lose on the track, and you go home. Lose with a load of whiskey, and you go to jail."

- Junior Johnson, NASCAR legend, and one time whiskey runner.

"I jumped out of the car to address this thing, knowing I had to address it right then or run from Cale [Yarborough] the rest of my life. And with that, Cale went to beating on my fist with his nose."

- Bobby Allison Speaking about the famous fight ending the 1979 Daytona 500.
Love it :bowdown:

Some of the best quotes come out of NASCAR land.

Something which really made me laugh at the 1996 Spanish Grand Prix as the starting grid is scrolling across the screen.

Murray
There are 8 Grand Prix winners in this field.

['Brundle 15th' appears on screen]

Martin Brundle is sadly not one of them...

Bloody cheers for that, Murray! I'm sure Martin loved that little shout out.

This one isn't from motorsports as such; it comes from a preview of Dirt 4, but it's as good as any other motorsport quote in this thread:

"Nothing says confidence in your engineering abilities like dressing your mechanics in white chinos."

Someone from the FIA needs to cut Kogay's licence into itty bitty pieces right in front of him.

I dont think Kogay has raced since Spa 24h that season after his fiery crash which put Marus Mahy in hospital,

I dont think Kogay has raced since Spa 24h that season after his fiery crash which put Marus Mahy in hospital,
The Monza race should've been enough for the FIA to realise the guy was a serious danger to other competitors.
Unfortunately, Mahy was the inevitable victim of a completely incompetent moron.

IMG_0160.PNG

Oh you're kidding, my post was deleted...
Yes it was. Why do you think that a word is acceptable in the title of a video, and then enunciated in that video, when it is not acceptable to be typed in the text of a post?

The Monza race should've been enough for the FIA to realise the guy was a serious danger to other competitors.
Unfortunately, Mahy was the inevitable victim of a completely incompetent moron.

I kinda give him the benefit of the doubt at Monza, I remember bits of the race and the fight that car had with Andy Meyrick in the Bentley for the first stint was one of the best battles I've ever seen, I'm not sure if he had something break or got over excited about the prospect of potentially winning the race overall, he seemed to calm down for the next few events, and Spa just had this weird feeling that the circuit itself was being unforgiving, for about 4 hours there was cars going off left, right and center, his incident was the last of the major ones in a string of some very horrific impacts,

I kinda give him the benefit of the doubt at Monza, I remember bits of the race and the fight that car had with Andy Meyrick in the Bentley for the first stint was one of the best battles I've ever seen, I'm not sure if he had something break or got over excited about the prospect of potentially winning the race overall, he seemed to calm down for the next few events, and Spa just had this weird feeling that the circuit itself was being unforgiving, for about 4 hours there was cars going off left, right and center, his incident was the last of the major ones in a string of some very horrific impacts,
I must admit I never got to see the Spa incident but, from what I saw of his driving at Monza, he's the sort of guy that just doesn't know when to back off - overdriving anyone?

Mahy was dealing with a puncture tire before Kogay crashed into the back of him.

For Kogay's part, he could very well hit him unsighted such like Memo Gidley's terrible Daytona accident or the recent F4 crash at Donington that put Billy Monger in the hospital.

Murray Walker really is the only voice of Formula 1, and was and still is the perfect model of commentary, no bias toward any driver, and his voice showed emotions so well, he would be the perfect narrator for anything,

David Reynolds. Phillip Island, 2015.

After strong drives and being in contention to possibly win his first championship, this happens. Sparks one of his most famous quotes.

Another John Watson classic, from the BlancPain Endurance race at Monza.

John Watson - "The Ferrari coming through to take its penalty. Take it like a man, yup."
"Do you think if Abegail Eaton had a drive through penalty, and I said, "Take it like a woman," it would be acceptable?"

David Addison - "Well, there's only one way to find out..."

Back