Project CARS 2 Will Have Dedicated eSports Features "From Day One"

I have high hopes for this game, hopefully they build on their solid start to the series. Mainly, a more solid single player campaign and more visual customization for the cars. Apart from that, I really like the physics, car selection, and tuning.

Unfortunately, as someone involved in motorsports it is imperative that the SIMs I drive have top-notch physics. I was impressed by a LOT of what I saw in PCars; I love, love, love the weather effects, environment, all of it. But the FFB, even with tweaks, is abysmal, and the physics, regardless of hype (which was VERY well done), is so bad there just isn't any way for me to enjoy the game very much. It's too bad. Tons of promise let down by a very poor foundation.

Well, I suppose if they are going to make eSports a priority, it will force their hand to actually make pitstops work correctly, one would assume.

Unfortunately, as someone involved in motorsports it is imperative that the SIMs I drive have top-notch physics. I was impressed by a LOT of what I saw in PCars; I love, love, love the weather effects, environment, all of it. But the FFB, even with tweaks, is abysmal, and the physics, regardless of hype (which was VERY well done), is so bad there just isn't any way for me to enjoy the game very much. It's too bad. Tons of promise let down by a very poor foundation.

Oh man, it's a good thing I'm not involved in motorsports then, because I'm given to understand that AC has about the best physics out right now (on consoles anyway) and then I drive AC and PCars back to back on the PS4 with my T150 and I think to myself 'AC's FFB is better, but it's really not that much better.' They feel similar enough that I almost always go for PCars because, at this point, AC is a mess on consoles and they've got some way to go before my opinion on that one changes.

I have high hopes for this game, hopefully they build on their solid start to the series. Mainly, a more solid single player campaign and more visual customization for the cars. Apart from that, I really like the physics, car selection, and tuning.

The thing of it is, though, that one could argue that if they are going to focus on motorsport then they are much less likely to include any sort of visual customization for the cars. I mean what race driver shows up to a race and refuses to do so unless the car looks the way they want it to? We (oh I do too, don't get me wrong) want a lot more visual customization, but spoilers, huge rims, wide body kits, painted brake calipers, tinted windows, etc....how much of that has anything to do with making a car faster (i.e. the whole point of racing)?

Last edited by a moderator:

A someone who competed in MotorSport professionally, I completely agree. I hate how cars handle in this game. Was really hoping for a true successor to SimBin's GTR2. Speaking of which, I hope they revive GTR3 with the new studio...

I guess the real life race drivers who test and advise SMS have no idea what they're talking about, judging by some of the comments here.

Thankfully I've never participated in real motorsports, so I can enjoy 'sims' for what they are, racing games.

That's very cool stuff. And i wish everything works perfectly and you guys make a LOT of money to make even better stuff.

But i'll be honest, and i hope i don't trigger anyone... All i want to do after a hard days work (and when the wife and kid allow me to) is to shut down the lights of my man cave, sit on my setup, put on the headphones and dive in a proper career mode with cars, tracks, and different categories. Ridiculously long endurance races in the rain, at max difficulty and no assists, that is all i need for the thrill. On line time trials are a blast too.

I'm really, really happy that i'll still be able to do that and not stress myself out in multiplayer and esports only racing games. So thanks for not ditching us, SMS.

Last edited:
That's very cool stuff. And i wish everything works perfectly and you guys make a LOT of money to make even better stuff.

But i'll be honest, and i hope i don't trigger anyone... All i want to do after a hard days work (and when the wife and kid allow me to) is to shut down the lights of my man cave, sit on my setup, put on the headphones and dive in a proper career mode with cars, tracks, and different categories. Ridiculously long endurance races in the rain, at max difficulty and no assists, that is all i need for the thrill. On line time trials are a blast too.

I'm really, really happy that i'll still be able to do that and not stress myself out in multiplayer and esports only racing games. So thanks for not ditching us, SMS.

Exactly. For (what I would imagine is) the significant majority of players, this is a chance to switch off everything else and focus on one very simple thing, going faster.

But i'll be honest, and i hope i don't trigger anyone... All i want is to do after a hard days work (and when the wife and kid allow me to) is to shut down the lights of my man cave, sit on my setup, put on the headphones and dive in a proper career mode with cars, tracks, and different categories. Ridiculously long endurance races in the rain, at max difficulty and no assists, that is all i need for the thrill. On line time trials are a blast too.

I think most people are in your camp quite honestly.:lol: eSports is great for the genre, great for the racers, great for attracting people into sim racing, great advertising for the games, game devs, the sponsors, manufacturers etc. But, IMO, it only represents that tiny, tiny portion of drivers that are fast enough to be competitive at the highest level. I compare it to hockey. Every Saturday night in the NHL, when most teams suit up, there are 500-600 players that suit up to play. For every one of them, there are hundreds of Canadian slugs like me, who put on our 10 year old gear and rent ice time at the local arena, have a few laughs and play some hockey. Everyone has a good time and that's all that matters to most of us.

I have no idea what SMS's plans are for the game (actually I do but if I tell you I'd have to kill you:sly:) but any developer that ignores the everyday player in favour of eSports and competition at the highest level, is going to be in for a rough time IMO.

who put on our 10 year old gear and rent ice time at the local arena, have a few laughs and play some hockey.

I can relate 100% - i do the same thing with the same guys for about a decade now (geez, that goes by fast), except it's not hockey :lol:. It's a moment of fun, relaxing, no pressure. Which is how i (and as you said, a lot of us) feel about these sims.

I have no idea what SMS's plans are for the game (actually I do but if I tell you I'd have to kill you:sly:)

Oh so you know some stuff huh? All i know is from following their forums and whatever they've already announced (or promised), so that's why i'm positive about just enjoying the game ALONE, maybe with friends, when beer is involved :lol:.

I fully understand the potential and the need of these features, that's how it is today and it will only get bigger... but the everyday player still represents a large % and shouldn't be ignored.

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
I wonder, will this game also feature cars in the early access only to lock them behind an additional paywall at release? Will they announce cars to be in the game months and years before release, and then release them way after the fact as paid DLC? Will they also promise various features and support for PlayStation VR, and then not follow up on them? What am I saying, of course they will. That is after all what incompetent companies run by greed rather than the desire to make good games do.

Aah PC2, I'm very much looking forward to that title! With GT:S scrapping dynamic weather effects off the design boards I think PC2 is the only new racing game that will still have dynamic weather effects and the accompanied pit stop tire strategies?

PS - Just for the record, I don't give a rats ass about eSport implementation.

I wonder, will this game also feature cars in the early access only to lock them behind an additional paywall at release? Will they announce cars to be in the game months and years before release, and then release them way after the fact as paid DLC?
If you consider early access as part of the development process, I don't see a problem. If I'm a developer and I have a DLC plan, I will test my DLC cars during early access if I have the opportunity. Is there a law that requires me to include all cars that were in early access/game development at game release?
Will they also promise various features and support for PlayStation VR, and then not follow up on them?
Unfortunately, this seems to be the state of the industry.

Why eSports? (The game killer) Project cars too same line for GT Sport, do you think can this race same line on GT Sport? And WHY going same line?

PCars 1 AI and career is just what this game need, no nothing same what you can find every game.

I really like Pcars 1, which is the best racing game on earth! (Without better triple monitor setup.)

Really, we have about 15 online racing games, can somebody play this all? Where did you get the time to play many games and same time? All games which come out, is "better than old, better than old" but all is "same games", same cars (Not GT Sport) same tracks, all is same, after this, all going to online, this is stupid!

Why not combine lobbies on Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2, maybe little iRacing and rFactor too ?? What different, graphics, and not nothing more? maybe few cars? :D

eSport thing in PC2?
one more reason to stay in AC...
eSport is the ruin of online gaming...

eSport is "build money" not racing. Game is dead after this. One good "symbol" is EA NHL series.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one ambitious and bold enterprise that failed in many aspects. I bought it day on its arrival here in my city. I think it was too complex since the start to work well, at least in console. Lacked development. Too many things to be fixed. I wish they have it straight now and have the success they deserve.

Excited to see what the eSports features entail specifically and I'm sure there will be more information about it soon. The actual interview with Andy was around 10 minutes and he was very reserved about what he could tell me; I tried as hard as I could to get some exciting news out of him, but alas it was all to no avail!

It seems important to the game developers to have E Sports for a handful of elite players which in turn gives credibility to the game creating extra sales. But for me it is not important - I am not an elite player and never could be even if I had the time and desire. My time is very limited so I look for a top quality gaming experience - I don't find offline careers very interesting or time trials, but I know these are very important for a lot of players so I respect that - a good game needs broad appeal and to support a wide range of play styles. For me the enjoyment comes from creating and hosting interesting and realistic series and racing online with friends, but I realise this is a minority approach.

One good thing that might come out of an E Sports focus is cars arranged into logical groups. I recently purchased Project Cars GOTYE and found that although the game has some Historic and Classic content it seems to have been selected at random with little or no thought to how a host might actually want to use it. For instance we get a Lotus 40 - an interesting and fast historic race car, but there is nothing to race it against - no early McLaren, Lola or Chaparral. We get an early Aston Martin, but no Maserati 300S, Jaguar D Type, Mercedes 300SLR, Ferrari or Lancia to race it against - this pattern is repeated throughout. With a relatively small car list it would be better to focus on fewer categories, but then make sure you get at least 4 cars in each category.

Unfortunately the bad side of E Sports is that they might focus on too few categories ignoring classic and historic categories. Gran Turismo Sport seems to be going down that route.

Tom
Excited to see what the eSports features entail specifically and I'm sure there will be more information about it soon. The actual interview with Andy was around 10 minutes and he was very reserved about what he could tell me; I tried as hard as I could to get some exciting news out of him, but alas it was all to no avail!
Great job as usual Tom:tup:👍

eSport thing in PC2?
one more reason to stay in AC...
eSport is the ruin of online gaming...
Care to back up this claim? To be honest, AC is definitely not the best choice for online gaming, as much as I like it. If anything, a focus on eSports is better for online gaming as it allows the devs to put extra care and detail into the online component. How this makes the game worse is beyond me.
Of course, if you don't like a system like iRacing, you might be slightly disappointed by this news article, but I doubt they will completely cut the "pick up and play" style of online lobbies.

I've always wondered how eSports events are handled when they get a race destroying bug. For instance; what do they do when one car hits an invisible wall, or is destoyed with a landmine?

I have no idea what SMS's plans are for the game (actually I do but if I tell you I'd have to kill you:sly:) but any developer that ignores the everyday player in favour of eSports and competition at the highest level, is going to be in for a rough time IMO.

It would be nice if they had leages like we have here on GT Planet, so that all skill levels can compete with others on their level.

VBR
It would be nice if they had leages like we have here on GT Planet, so that all skill levels can compete with others on their level.
From an enthusiasts perspective, the game that finds a way to provide continuous clean racing, with a wide variety of cars, and provides some sort of ranking system that both makes sense and allows drivers of equal skill to compete with each other, will be the winner in the sim racing sweepstakes. Maybe not in terms of Metacritic score or sales, but for guys like you and me and dozens of others around here who just want to race with something close to realism but not be hassled by griefers and yo-yos only interested in causing havoc. GTSport may or may not provide that as they promise, but I sure hope SMS and others have this in mind with their next iteration of the game.

VBR
I've always wondered how eSports events are handled when they get a race destroying bug. For instance; what do they do when one car hits an invisible wall, or is destoyed with a landmine?

Yep, just like real motorsports. They need tiers so more people of differing skill levels can enter and have a chance at success .

I think most people are in your camp quite honestly.:lol: eSports is great for the genre, great for the racers, great for attracting people into sim racing, great advertising for the games, game devs, the sponsors, manufacturers etc. But, IMO, it only represents that tiny, tiny portion of drivers that are fast enough to be competitive at the highest level. I compare it to hockey. Every Saturday night in the NHL, when most teams suit up, there are 500-600 players that suit up to play. For every one of them, there are hundreds of Canadian slugs like me, who put on our 10 year old gear and rent ice time at the local arena, have a few laughs and play some hockey. Everyone has a good time and that's all that matters to most of us.

Well said. Honestly anytime I see an announcement relating eSports and one of my favorite games, I borderline fall asleep. Good for the people who will make use of it, I just wish every single publisher wasn't obligated to speak on it.

I guess the real life race drivers who test and advise SMS have no idea what they're talking about...

It's great PR for both drivers and game developers. As a driver, it's really difficult to tell a programmer or game designer what exactly a race car feels like at X speeds with X tire conditions and X weather conditions, etc. But it sure as hell looks good for a game to say "Hey, pro drivers approve!" when it comes to marketing and sales.

As some people on here know, I've advised developers on racing in the past (most notably Turn 10 Studios) since Forza Motorsport 4 on the Xbox 360 - and as a driver, there's only so much information I can pass on before saying "You just gotta experience it to see what I mean." The great part about sports games is that the developers are usually huge fans of the sport and often have actually taken part in many activities themselves. In the case of T10 Studios, many of the physics guys have had track experience (track days mostly) in order to translate what they experienced into the physics of the game. So even with a pro driver feeding you information on how to make the cars behave, it's very easy for them to revert back to their own experiences. Just try to imagine explaining how Coca-Cola tastes like to someone who has only had water. In the end, they will try to relate it to what they know.

pCars is all talk and no show. Hmm, I wonder where I've seen a game do this before....oh yeah! Need for Speed Shift 2 did the exact same thing. "This is Real Racing," I remember them saying over and over again. Look, we have Tommy Milner advertising our product! He loves it!

That game was absolute garbage. Felt like driving on ice. In fact, pCars feels like that, too. I wonder if both games were made by the same people...oh wait, they were.

Very few drivers that I personally know - whether they are a friend or someone I've competed against - actually prefers the way cars behave in pCars. They all dislike it as much as I do. Funny how your opinion of things differ when you're not getting paid to advertise a product.

Back