Chasing World Records ( Video Series )

United States
United States
carracerptp
I just got back into Sim racing again and I'm putting together a series on hot lapping. Basicly I pick a car and track combo and try and see how close I can get to a world record time. I'm using RSR liveTiming for the lap times now but I will be using www.ac-leaderboard.com soon to add more crediabilty.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyB4BkisTmvssWNs7dE9tOYmhVbk-dtLA

I'm still new to talking a driving at the same time so I should improve on both points with time. If you have any suggestions for how to improve the series that would be great. Also I want to start taking car and track combo request. I'll be making about 3 videos a week.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited:
Nice initiative 👍

I suggest you use sidekick app addon, this way you have open one app instead of five, plus there's more info and you only need to focus in one place to see that info.

If you show the tyre pressure in sidekick you'll see how it changes along the lap, if you use tyre blankets, in some combos you only need one lap to achieve the fastest lap, in some others you'll need, two, three or four laps.

Correct tyre pressure is key to achieve a good hot lap and usually their setup is asymetric in order to achieve the fastest lap as you need maximum grip at the most compromised part of the track or you need ideal tire pressure at the beginning of the lap, it depends on the combo, sidekick app is your friend here.

My combo requests in order of difficulty at RSR Leaderboard:

KTM X-Bow R @ Silverstone National (Easy)
Ferrari 488 GTB @ Imola (Medium)
Porsche 911 GT3 RS @ Barcelona GP (Hard)

Nice initiative 👍

I suggest you use sidekick app addon, this way you have open one app instead of five, plus there's more info and you only need to focus in one place to see that info.

If you show the tyre pressure in sidekick you'll see how it changes along the lap, if you use tyre blankets, in some combos you only need one lap to achieve the fastest lap, in some others you'll need, two, three or four laps.

Correct tyre pressure is key to achieve a good hot lap and usually their setup is asymetric in order to achieve the fastest lap as you need maximum grip at the most compromised part of the track or you need ideal tire pressure at the beginning of the lap, it depends on the combo, sidekick app is your friend here.

My combo requests in order of difficulty at RSR Leaderboard:

KTM X-Bow R @ Silverstone National (Easy)
Ferrari 488 GTB @ Imola (Medium)
Porsche 911 GT3 RS @ Barcelona GP (Hard)

I have still don't have a handle on tire pressure in AC so I'll have to try this app. Porsche 911 GT3 RS @ Barcelona GP and KTM X-Bow R @ Silverstone National sounds like this weeks challenge. Thanks. I have another one 50% filmed to make the 3rd episode.

I find MultiLaps app helps for setting fast times as it keeps record of your fastest times so when restarting you have a good delta to use and improve.

It would be interesting to see how much faster you guys are than me with Nissan GT-R Nismo @ Silverstone National, hopefully I'm less than two seconds off. First time setting a RSR record using a touchpad. :lol:

I loved your first video. I was trying to figure out a way to compliment your voice in a way that made sense and I just figured it out. You sound like an NPR DJ:lol:. I listen to NPR quite a bit and enjoy shows like Dinner Party Download, All Things Considered, Fresh Air, Ed Love etc. and you sound like you could slide right in there without additional training:cheers:.

Keep up the good work:tup:👍

I find MultiLaps app helps for setting fast times as it keeps record of your fastest times so when restarting you have a good delta to use and improve.

It would be interesting to see how much faster you guys are than me with Nissan GT-R Nismo @ Silverstone National, hopefully I'm less than two seconds off. First time setting a RSR record using a touchpad. :lol:

I will have to try that.

I loved your first video. I was trying to figure out a way to compliment your voice in a way that made sense and I just figured it out. You sound like an NPR DJ:lol:. I listen to NPR quite a bit and enjoy shows like Dinner Party Download, All Things Considered, Fresh Air, Ed Love etc. and you sound like you could slide right in there without additional training:cheers:.

Keep up the good work:tup:👍

Thanks.

Here is my latest video. I try and cover my setup more, unfortunately the audio of the car is much louder than what my mic was set up for so my voice is way too quiet. I'm trying to figure out how to boost that. Also it is way too long so it might get reuploaded.

My other 2 videos are going to be a lot more polished and edited.

Well done, I see it wasn't that hard for you :D:tup:

It actually wasn't that difficult to get that time, now when I tried a few laps the KTM X-Bow I wasn't even close to the top times. I'll need to work for that one. Also I'm going to have to get a video of the Audi S1 at Silverstone before someone overtakes my record there again ;)

For my final video this week I tried one of the RSR "hottest Combos". It was difficult to pick a combo but I just purchased the DLC with the Red Bull Ring a few hours before so I wanted to give it a go. Decided on the Cayman GT4 Clubsport at the Red Bull Ring GP combo. The car wouldn't need much tuning and it add a good time to beat. I really wanted 1:36s :(

Also I'm going to have to get a video of the Audi S1 at Silverstone before someone overtakes my record there again ;)
I gave it a go before to see how my speed using touchpad was compared to you guys. Looking promising as I think 1:09.5XX is in reach if I got a whole lap together close to my limit but not going to attempt it. Hopefully that means my GT-R Nismo time is also reasonably competitive. Tempted to get Porsche DLC to see if I can beat your GT3 RS time using touchpad input, probably be a lot harder to drive though than the S1 and GT-R. Finally found a good use for touchpad on my laptop, usually use pointing stick for mouse input.

It actually wasn't that difficult to get that time, now when I tried a few laps the KTM X-Bow I wasn't even close to the top times. I'll need to work for that one. Also I'm going to have to get a video of the Audi S1 at Silverstone before someone overtakes my record there again ;)

For my final video this week I tried one of the RSR "hottest Combos". It was difficult to pick a combo but I just purchased the DLC with the Red Bull Ring a few hours before so I wanted to give it a go. Decided on the Cayman GT4 Clubsport at the Red Bull Ring GP combo. The car wouldn't need much tuning and it add a good time to beat. I really wanted 1:36s :(

Nice times and videos. Are you posting your times on https://www.ac-leaderboard.com as well?

Excellent videos!
Thanks!
I gave it a go before to see how my speed using touchpad was compared to you guys. Looking promising as I think 1:09.5XX is in reach if I got a whole lap together close to my limit but not going to attempt it. Hopefully that means my GT-R Nismo time is also reasonably competitive. Tempted to get Porsche DLC to see if I can beat your GT3 RS time using touchpad input, probably be a lot harder to drive though than the S1 and GT-R. Finally found a good use for touchpad on my laptop, usually use pointing stick for mouse input.
How on earth are you that fast with a touchpad? :bowdown:
You're safe until next monday afternoon, later than that I don't promise anything :D
I'll keep an eye on it.
Nice times and videos. Are you posting your times on https://www.ac-leaderboard.com as well?
I have posted 1 I think, I keep forgetting to get a picture for proof. I think I'll start posting the videos as proof.

How on earth are you that fast with a touchpad? :bowdown:
Got inspired by handi to give it a go recently. Knowledge on how to drive quick helps a lot. Works really well the mouse input, think there is hidden driving aids that help with braking and acceleration but not too intrusive. Still tricky to get right though but only played using touchpad for a few hours so hopefully a bit more practice, I can get closer to reaching limit quicker and driving better the more difficult handling cars. Good to see in such a game on certain combos, even if you have basic PC input options, you can be as quick as sim racers that spend thousands on sim hardware. Well done @Lord Kunos 👍.

New episode is up, still need to start editing these into 10~15min videos but right now I can't find an editor that is fast, reliable, and won't kill video quality. Really I need to learn to start running fast-ish laps quicker :lol:

Got inspired by handi to give it a go recently. Knowledge on how to drive quick helps a lot. Works really well the mouse input, think there is hidden driving aids that help with braking and acceleration but not too intrusive. Still tricky to get right though but only played using touchpad for a few hours so hopefully a bit more practice, I can get closer to reaching limit quicker and driving better the more difficult handling cars. Good to see in such a game on certain combos, even if you have basic PC input options, you can be as quick as sim racers that spend thousands on sim hardware. Well done @Lord Kunos 👍.
Drifting is nearly impossible beyond like a 15° counter-steer. Whatever innate "aid" acts like a bad LSD.

edit/ with mouse steering

Hi, I've watched a few of the vids you've posted on this thread and have enjoyed them because I don't understand how to tune cars myself so I mostly just take out fuel maybe change the tire pressures. But I like to see the process of tuning and of course you get great results!

Well today I somehow managed to get onto your YouTube page where you have posted quite a few more videos than what is linked here. I found one where you drive the Maserati 250F (my fav car)!

Any excuse for me to drive that car is a good time by me.
I only watched up until you had finished your stock tune lap because I wanted to see how I could compare on an equal setting. Alao, like I said this is my fav car but I have only ever taken fuel out of it as far tuning it and I wanted to try to see how I could fast I could go before I try the tune you used.

On the stock tune I was around a 2:31...

So after only adjusting the gearing, and the brake bias to 76, and dropping the fuel down to enough for 3 laps, I managed to set a new world record - 2:26.971

IMG_1871.JPG

I'm gonna watch the rest of your vid now and next time I get a chance to drive I'll use your tune and see how it goes for me.

I'll upload a vid as soon as I can, which will probably be tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ouch, you took a big chunk out of my time :lol: Well done. I honestly don't know much about setups but I try different things that should work in real life and see what works in the game.

Well after watching the rest of your video it seems we ended up with almost the same tune. I was expecting you to adjust the suspension more than you did but it was enough to get the job done.
I'll try removing the positive camber on the next try.
I put 3 laps of fuel but set the fast lap on my first lap.
I used the slider to adjust the gearing and put it in the middle, whereas you only adjusted 4th gear.
I did most of the lap in 2nd gear and steered with the throttle, it's a bit of a trick to keep that car going where you want it to go which is why I love it.
I also am using sequential paddles to shift but lifting between gears.
Also, I felt my lap was pretty sloppy and I could get it to go faster with more practise just like you did about your lap, but it the end it was enough and it was supper time.

heres the lap;

I dropped this challenge in the Assetto Corsa forum but no one has tried it yet... check it out see if you think it's interesting.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/can-you-beat-fangios-world-record.41770/

I like your videos keep going!

Last edited:
Drifting is nearly impossible beyond like a 15° counter-steer. Whatever innate "aid" acts like a bad LSD.

edit/ with mouse steering
Welcome to :gtplanet:. 👍

Feels like traction control is forced on. Hopefully @Lord Kunos adds option to enable or disable aids for mouse steering, seems great for track driving though how it is currently. Have you tried this workaround?: Link.

I'm rubbish at drifting so haven't tried with a mouse. I'm going to try and get pCARS2 to have mouse steering option and also DS4 touchpad as steering input too.

@pretend racer I'm not a very good tuner. I've gotten a lot better though. About 6 months after I switched from GT6 to AC I started getting a lot better. I know I could definitely feel what the car was doing or not doing a lot better and that is obviously what you need to make intelligent tuning decisions. Unfortunately, I'm still not great. There are times where no matter what I do I just can't get the car to do X or stop it from doing Y. It's nice to watch other people's processes. I spend a fair amount of time on The Setup Market too. Still, my main routine is just getting the tires air pressure and temperature into the best position for my driving style.

I'm back, after a cold and and some other stuff getting in the way I finally found time to record a new video.

As a NA Miata owner I had to give this car a shot. It was a WR for like 5 minutes lol. I ran a 1:33.756 but I figure high maybe even mid 32s can be done with a good setup.

Very nice driving with the Miata. I saw another comment of yours from earlier in this thread and I agree it would be nice if you could trim just a bit of time off the videos. I watched this entire 20 minute video, but I'm in the process of reorganizing my music collection and it's a very lengthy process, so I have a lot of free time where I can't really do anything but watch videos. :D

Right near the end of the video you were looking for the start of the last lap. You didn't know that those green lines throughout the video timeline were new lap indicators? The only time you can't rely on them is if you crash and do a restart session and haven't crossed the finish line technically, so it doesn't throw a green line in there.

So, now that you've done quite a few laps in the Miata how do you think she drives compared to your real life Miata? I don't know if you follow threads on the Official Support Forums, but there are a couple of Miata owners who've commented on the Kunos Miata vs. their real life Miata. In fact, thanks to William Levesque's comments led to Aristotelis making one of the adjustments to the car for the v1.13.1 Hot Fix. A few of the comments you made during your video echoed his almost exactly...especially the comments about Camber.

@pretend racer I'm not a very good tuner. I've gotten a lot better though. About 6 months after I switched from GT6 to AC I started getting a lot better. I know I could definitely feel what the car was doing or not doing a lot better and that is obviously what you need to make intelligent tuning decisions. Unfortunately, I'm still not great. There are times where no matter what I do I just can't get the car to do X or stop it from doing Y. It's nice to watch other people's processes. I spend a fair amount of time on The Setup Market too. Still, my main routine is just getting the tires air pressure and temperature into the best position for my driving style.

Very nice driving with the Miata. I saw another comment of yours from earlier in this thread and I agree it would be nice if you could trim just a bit of time off the videos. I watched this entire 20 minute video, but I'm in the process of reorganizing my music collection and it's a very lengthy process, so I have a lot of free time where I can't really do anything but watch videos. :D

Right near the end of the video you were looking for the start of the last lap. You didn't know that those green lines throughout the video timeline were new lap indicators? The only time you can't rely on them is if you crash and do a restart session and haven't crossed the finish line technically, so it doesn't throw a green line in there.

So, now that you've done quite a few laps in the Miata how do you think she drives compared to your real life Miata? I don't know if you follow threads on the Official Support Forums, but there are a couple of Miata owners who've commented on the Kunos Miata vs. their real life Miata. In fact, thanks to William Levesque's comments led to Aristotelis making one of the adjustments to the car for the v1.13.1 Hot Fix. A few of the comments you made during your video echoed his almost exactly...especially the comments about Camber.

I knew the green markers show the laps but normally I restart so often they aren't usable. I didn't think about it when I was trying to find the start.

My biggest 2 complaints about the car is for a "stock" Miata it has too much initial turn for a stock alignment on "street" tires in the default setup. Now with a more aggressive alignment and a stiff sidewall tire sure it can feel like that!

Front camber is just not realistic for any stock NA Miata. -1.5 max ( and that would be an outlier). Now for a lowered car you can hit around -2 or if you use some cheater extra long ball joints.

Power feels about perfect and "on power" handling is also near perfect. I feel like it starts to bog down just a little too high in the RPM range. Weight transfer is also very close to real life.

Other small problems I have are,
Stock tire pressure should be 1.8 BAR or 26 PSI.
The wheels aren't quite modeled right.
It seems to have an LSD so it should have power mirrors not the manual ones modeled unless it's a R package but then it should have an rear spoiler and front spoiler.

Back