How PS4 Pro Boost Mode Will Make Your Racing Games Better

Thanks for the test and the good news. @Scaff did you have a chance to test also if Boost Mode is also active in multiplayer?

I've been following these videos throughout the weekend (as Scaff was posting them) and even before the live stream the difference was already noticeable in the first Assetto Corsa video. At 60fps, though, it looks like a whole new game.

Helpful as ever, @Scaff. Thank you. 👍

There were rumors this won't make it out of beta actually :lol:

I wonder if they are hitting some issues with implementing it, as the ps4 pro is not supposed to offer any advantage in only play over the ps4 original.

I really don't care personally, but if the loud complaining groups in shooters can even get a thought there is an unfair advantage.. they will loose their minds.

I wonder if they are hitting some issues with implementing it, as the ps4 pro is not supposed to offer any advantage in only play over the ps4 original.

I really don't care personally, but if the loud complaining groups in shooters can even get a thought there is an unfair advantage.. they will loose their minds.
Most of the current crop of FPS titles already have pro patched anyway, so it's not going to make any additional difference.

I kind of agree that it's an unfair advantage but then again so is your TV input lag, internet speed, etc.

I kind of agree that it's an unfair advantage but then again so is your TV input lag, internet speed, etc.

Yeah I did not mean from my point of view. Most of the people that would complain about that sort of thing don't even understand they should turn off the upscaling (enable game mode if it has one) and what not to reduce input lag..

Hell.. I was surprised when it was released that the PS4 Pro was not going to run every game to its full potential. Pay the money for better hardware, it should do better things.

New one.

39 car GT3 grid at Imola in a Thunderstorm - Project Cars.

The 'odd' jerking at the start was something happening during the rolling start, once the race starts its nice and smooth and quite a but better than when running in non-boost.

I'm quite intrigued about the jerking on the regular PS4s during replays, don't they pre-render those?

Wonderful. Lets hope Sony wont scrap this option for some shady reasons...

No shade to be found, if by the time the update is due and the bugs and kinks aren't ironed out they will have to pull it. Remember consoles are coded to the metal and for on bespoke setup that's it, it's not PC coded to work with a range of setups. So this will take a lot of bug testing we Beta testers are doing right now. Putting all games through all sorts of paces and every which way imaginable in the normal run of playing games.

It's a nice feature but the fact that it's such a huge power jump compared to the PS4 there is going to problems somewhere, Sony is doing this as a wide arcing thing, so developers wouldn't have to do it, most they would have to do is patch in an option to unlock framerates if the end user so chooses although that isn't so cut and dry as doing that could introduce more problems like judder and other shenanigans. Honestly I wonder just how robust Sony OS actually is in implementing this system wide feature and what their software team went through just to get it working this fast.

Either way I love the feature as it really does open the eyes of naysayers, Pro is definitely worth the purchase over the PS4 it's looking farther forward and it helps mitigate shortcomings of the original due to cost/loss/profitability issue all business have to deal with when you create, build and sell a product.

I wonder if anyone at Digital Foundry is in on the Beta, they could run frame tests to see just how well the Beta Boost works. Still PCars looks smooth but it's still not that butter smooth 60 fps I've witnessed on PC, seems odd might be the engine they have in use but RoTR looks far smoother in high framerate mode on Pro.

WRC 6 comparison.

It reduces the screen tear by a good degree, but its still present and still results in a title that feel unpolished and distracting to play.

Currently, this is an “at your own risk” option, so you may experience crashes or glitches (on rare occasions). Does this take a toll on ps4 Pro boost mode Beta when using it and risk another $399.99 or £349.00? No thanks.

Currently, this is an “at your own risk” option, so you may experience crashes or glitches (on rare occasions). Does this take a toll on ps4 Pro boost mode Beta when using it and risk another $399.99 or £349.00? No thanks.
No it doesn't.

I've only had issue with it twice, neither were with racing titles, and a software crash isn't going to physically damage hardware.

Back