2017 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand PrixFormula 1 

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
After a winter that seemed to last about 2 years, F1 is back! And now it's bigger, better (hopefully), fresher and heading into future. The rules have been changed for the 2017 season with the cars being wider and looking more aggressive than before in the hope that the racing is improved, this is the weekend where we'll find that out. There was change at the top with the 2016 Champion retiring and leaving the field with no defending champion since 1994. The main topic of conversation in the paddock is whether Mercedes' dominance will be brought to an end by these new regulation changes. Ferrari and Red Bull seemed to have closed the gap in winter testing, but nothing is ever certain in F1. F1 is back folks, 20 races of hopefully unpredictable, exciting races lay ahead and we start down under with the Australian Grand Prix.

2014-australian-grand-prix-fia-facts.png

MELBOURNE GRAND PRIX CIRCUIT

FIRST RACE

NUMBER
OF LAPS

CIRCUIT LENGTH
5.303KM (3.295 Miles)

RACE DISTANCE
307.574KM (191.118 Miles)

LAP
RECORD

1:24.125, Michael Schumacher, Ferrari, 2004

TYRE ALLOCATIONS
Ultra-Soft, Super Soft & Soft

SKY SPORTS CLASSIC RACE SCHEDULE
Tuesday - Australia 1994
Wednesday - Australia 2003
Thursday - Australia 2010
Sunday - Australia 1996

2016 RESULT

1 Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)

2 Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)

3 Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)

2016 Fastest lap - Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull-Tag Heuer) 1:28.997 (lap 49)

Last edited:
Anyone want to start betting times on the fast quali? 1:23.517 there I said it.

Are you betting on wet qualification or something or did you thought the lap posted above was a qualification time ? Considering last year pole was in 1:23.837 by Hamilton, I'll say I expect something like 1:18:023 this year.

Asking the same question @coryclifford you really think that with all the upgrade this year, they can only run 9 tenth faster than last year ? Or is weather prediction bad ? Because when I saw it on monday it was sunny with cloud for friday/saturday and sunny sunday.

Last edited:
1:19.644 Ferrari

I can't remember having this much anticipation before an F1 season before.

Asking the same question @coryclifford you really think that with all the upgrade this year, they can only run 9 tenth faster than last year ?

Yep, that's what I think. They didn't just reinvent the wheel. And it's not like they weren't trying to be fast before. I don't think the cars will be shattering records. And 9 tenths is a pretty big chunk of time.

I'm going to miss this race because I'm away for a training weekend with my GAA team.

It'll be hard to avoid spoilers before 7pm GMT+1 when I am back and I can try to find highlights.

Hibernation is over. Time to leave the cave and with a new coat unleash the (orange) lion.
Our Max just gave me a quick heads up. He is aiming for a low 1:19 and probably Mercedes is 0,429 faster.

After the Barcelona winter training let the season begin!

And remember that #33 and Dutchies go well together

Yep, that's what I think. They didn't just reinvent the wheel. And it's not like they weren't trying to be fast before. I don't think the cars will be shattering records. And 9 tenths is a pretty big chunk of time.

But you are aware that Ferrari has been 3 seconds faster with the new car in Barcelona (on Softs compared to Hamiltons Pole Position 2016), despite not running the engine with full power?

I think Ferrari and RB are capable of 1:19,2 while Lewis will be the only driver under 1:19 as Bottas still needs some time.

Anyway, can't wait for Sunday! Finally a good reason to wake up before 6 AM again on the weekend.

But you are aware that Ferrari has been 3 seconds faster with the new car in Barcelona (on Softs compared to Hamiltons Pole Position 2016), despite not running the engine with full power?

Yep, aware. Just trying be realistic I guess. More power (figuratively) to them if they blaze the old times.

Its been a long and grueling pre season, the boredom levels have gone through the roof. Absolutely buzzing for this weekend, the start of a new era ! I couldn't care less who wins, i just want an epic race. I am predicting a Riccardo win, Vettel 2nd and Kimi 3rd. And both Mclaren's break down with one possibly even catching fire....I hope not though !

I think we will be seeing Verstopping, Hamilton and Vettel on the podium. I am unsure of the order currently.

I hope this will be a great beginning to an exciting season.

100 meters is quite generous, they'll stall on the grid.

I'm optimistic :D

Btw: As in all the years before, Vettel's car gets it's own name. Some german papers claim to know it already. It's "Gina" which might come from Regina, which is latin for Queen. Or Gina Wild, who knows.

The big question to answer is this though, with Daniil Kvyat actually start the race? He's pulled off before the race for both the last two years.

The big question to answer is this though, with Daniil Kvyat actually start the race? He's pulled off before the race for both the last two years.

Firstly, fnaar fnaar.

Secondly... but look at the impression he made once he finally got off the grid! :)

With McLaren's unreliability, Alonso's pre/early season curse of getting injured should hopefully be over this year.

Unless he injures himself pushing the McLaren off of the track when it stops, that is.

Are you betting on wet qualification or something or did you thought the lap posted above was a qualification time ? Considering last year pole was in 1:23.837 by Hamilton, I'll say I expect something like 1:18:023 this year.

My mistake I was thinking of track record being broken in race. For Quali I think you're right.

Back