First Drive Review: Volkswagen Scirocco GTS

Ever since GT5 introduced this as DLC, I've been a fan. I've always loved the Golf GTI (and the new R), but the Scirocco looks so much better. Out of all the hatchbacks currently available, this is my favorite one to look at.

Wish it were available in the US - I'd love to see these on a regular basis!

I think the gt86 is better in every way apart from 0-60 but who really cares about that
The Scirocco is a more practical car, to be fair. I'd also have a GT86 but judging by what one sees on the road, at least in the UK, it seems that the general public would rather have the VW.

Do like the Scirocco. Still looks great, and because nothing else in the VW range looks anything like it, it seems a bit more interesting now too.

As a small correction though, the Scirocco isn't the only car on the old A5 platform - the Beetle and Jetta are also still using that platform.

Still very little wrong with it though - drove a current Beetle not so long ago and quite enjoyed it.
I think the gt86 is better in every way apart from 0-60 but who really cares about that
The GT86 is more fun, but not really "better in every way". To name just a few ways the Scirocco is better, it rides more comfortably (though as @Famine mentions in the review, it can be a bit knobbly in certain trims), it's quieter, the engine is more refined and stronger, and squeezing actual human beings in the back seats is slightly more feasible.

I'd still pick a GT86 myself, but given how old the Scirocco's getting it's still a rather nice car.

Last edited:
As good as it may be, I still cannot get myself to like it purely because it's exclusively driven by knobs, yobs, and fitness boys in my country.

Same for the Golf GTI for that matter. I will never deny the Golf GTI and Golf R being fantastic and ludicrously fast cars. But I hate the Golf with a passion purely because of the people who drive them, and the way they drive in everyday traffic.

As good as it may be, I still cannot get myself to like it purely because it's exclusively driven by knobs, yobs, and fitness boys in my country.

Agreed. Plus, I still can't get over VW's pricing. The name 'Volkswagen' is kind of a misnomer really as the brand has become one badge snobs clamour over.

On my way up the motorway in the GTS, I passed a Scirocco diesel who was quite happily ambling along at 65mph for about 4 miles.

Until I passed him in the GTS. And then he wanted to suddenly jam himself into my sphincter and then sod off at 85.

Back