October 2017 NPD Results: Forza 7 Outsells GT Sport, Racing Games Continue Strong Year

So according to this list racing games are not selling to well?
Compared to last year this time, which makes sense considering the recent amount of releases in the genre.

I don't think the sales compared to Forza will necessarily matter when it comes to the GT series future. Clearly GT is outpacing any other title in the genre on its native platform. Project Cars didn't even make the top 20. Sony won't pull the plug on PD and the GT series any time soon, if for no reason other than brand recognition. GT series thrives itself on its past. I think GT Sport is a step in the right direction for the future of the series when looking at the genre as a whole, but it doesn't surprise me to see it behind Forza. GT was lagging in sales with GT6 and when you switch up the style of game so much between entries like they've done, of course you'll bring in some new players, loyalists like myself will stick around, and of course you alienate some of the already dwindling fanbase from PS3 era GT.

I still think GT Sport is a step forward, something refreshing that we haven't really seen from PD since GT4. The car and track list will need to be improved if PD wants to stay competitive with the likes of Forza though.

Genuinely surprised Shadow of War topped the list. I played Shadow of Mordor only recently on xBox and loved it, but I would've expected Assassins Creed or South Park to have been on top.

So it's just GTSport and Forza 7 what about all the other racing games currently available?

When the two biggest racing franchises launch on the same month, what room is there for older or less popular racers? It's like asking about Fifa 17 sales when Fifa 18 launches or saint's row sales when a new GTA comes. People like new and shiny things.

When the two biggest racing franchises launch on the same month, what room is there for older or less popular racers? It's like asking about Fifa 17 sales when Fifa 18 launches or saint's row sales when a new GTA comes. People like new and shiny things.
Project cars launched, what, two weeks before Forza? Less than a month before GTS? It's surprising not seeing it crack the top 20, especially from a cross-platfrom game.

Compared to last year this time, which makes sense considering the recent amount of releases in the genre.

I don't think the sales compared to Forza will necessarily matter when it comes to the GT series future. Clearly GT is outpacing any other title in the genre on its native platform. Project Cars didn't even make the top 20. Sony won't pull the plug on PD and the GT series any time soon, if for no reason other than brand recognition. GT series thrives itself on its past. I think GT Sport is a step in the right direction for the future of the series when looking at the genre as a whole, but it doesn't surprise me to see it behind Forza. GT was lagging in sales with GT6 and when you switch up the style of game so much between entries like they've done, of course you'll bring in some new players, loyalists like myself will stick around, and of course you alienate some of the already dwindling fanbase from PS3 era GT.

I still think GT Sport is a step forward, something refreshing that we haven't really seen from PD since GT4. The car and track list will need to be improved if PD wants to stay competitive with the likes of Forza though.

Genuinely surprised Shadow of War topped the list. I played Shadow of Mordor only recently on xBox and loved it, but I would've expected Assassins Creed or South Park to have been on top.
I think Mario actually ended up topping the list, that number didn't include digital and Nintendo released a press statement saying it was the month's best seller.

I'm surprised that people are still buying NBA 2K18 which might be one of the most buggy, microtransaction ridden games I've ever attempted to play. Also, the fact that GTAV is still up there is odd too, is there anyone that doesn't own it that wanted it?

Project cars launched, what, two weeks before Forza? Less than a month before GTS? It's surprising not seeing it crack the top 20, especially from a cross-platfrom game.

It doesn't have the prestige of the two other franchises, the first received mostly mixed reviews, and it has a narrower appeal. From what I've read I know I would be frustrated with that type of game, and I don't spend my game bucks to be frustrated.

Maybe people are not buying it because they didn't like the first Project Cars I thought it would sell better. I still haven't bought it yet.
I didn't buy the first one so I can't really speak for it, but I'm more of a casual gamer, so I probably won't buy it. Like I said above, I'm a loyalist when it comes to the GT series and never ventured out beyond them, aside from a brief stint with FM6 when I was still living at home on my dads xBox. So brief I can't even really speak much it either, other than it being pretty with a nice car list to boot. I got very little into the gameplay. Just not an xBox fan.

As far as the games I'll probably buy soon, Assassin's Creed, Shadow of War, and Battlefront 2 are atop my list. It's been a great 3 months for game releases, even for a casual gamer as myself.

I think Mario actually ended up topping the list, that number didn't include digital and Nintendo released a press statement saying it was the month's best seller.
Well that isn't as surprising. But Nintendo hasn't been relevant for me since Mario Kart Wii.

This ranking is for October. PC2 was launch in September... so an important part of sales may have been in september.

Forza behind GT Sport... GTS is a new way for GT, he could have disappointed old GT public who preferred to have 1000 cars...

This ranking is for October. PC2 was launch in September... so an important part of sales may have been in september.

Forza behind GT Sport... GTS is a new way for GT, he could have disappointed old GT public who preferred to have 1000 cars...

At 7:34, the top 20 games in September by revenue.

Hmm, perhaps racing games did not fare as well on this list because it does not include digital sales? My guess is that racing game enthusiasts are more likely to buy digital.

I'm amazed that GTA 5 is still up there, it's been out for ps4 for three years.
Disappointed that PCARS 2 didn't make this list, I like it.

If racing games are up in sales, that would contradict the numerous posts I’ve read trying to explain why GTSport isn’t selling as well as they wanted it to.

I'm surprised that people are still buying NBA 2K18 which might be one of the most buggy, microtransaction ridden games I've ever attempted to play. Also, the fact that GTAV is still up there is odd too, is there anyone that doesn't own it that wanted it?

I'm amazed that GTA 5 is still up there, it's been out for ps4 for three years.
Disappointed that PCARS 2 didn't make this list, I like it.

There are three certainties on this planet:

Life, Death and GTA V placing in the top monthly sales charts.

Forza 7 will continue to do well with more cars, tracks, upgrades, dynamic weather, etc., and will be on sale during Black Friday for $40. GTS is a decent title but needs a lot more content and plenty of fixes.

It does not surprise me that FM7 beat GT sport.

Yep, that's what happens when there's a title from the franchise that comes out every year instead of once in every blue moon. And it's also available both on PC and console, which is another plus. People that discovered the Forza franchise with FH3 last year might have been tempted to pick up FM7 to see what it was like. People that didn't like the approach PD was taking with GT:s might also have been tempted, and all of that adds up.

This is just my opinion, but should FH4 keep what made FH3 stand out on the market, it'll probably be the best selling racing game of this generation by a large margin, and might even begin to compete with the "console movers" like COD, GTA and FIFA, a bit like GT used to do. We'll see in October if that's just optimistic.

Yep, that's what happens when there's a title from the franchise that comes out every year instead of once in every blue moon. And it's also available both on PC and console, which is another plus. People that discovered the Forza franchise with FH3 last year might have been tempted to pick up FM7 to see what it was like. People that didn't like the approach PD was taking with GT:s might also have been tempted, and all of that adds up.

This is just my opinion, but should FH4 keep what made FH3 stand out on the market, it'll probably be the best selling racing game of this generation by a large margin, and might even begin to compete with the "console movers" like COD, GTA and FIFA, a bit like GT used to do. We'll see in October if that's just optimistic.
As long as they keep doing what they're doing, I think you may be right. The only hiccup that game has is lack of existing Xbox1's, but PC helps with that.

Makes you wonder why MS didn't start the multi platform initiative much sooner.

It'll be interesting to see what the sales comparison looks like through the end of 2017, where that 2 week release advantage won't be such a huge factor.

There's absolutely Zero chance of either happening.

But it could be the highest selling racing game that is if Microsoft ditches the xbox and released their game's multi platform. On PS's user base fan base Forza could easily triple its sales.

Back